• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UK blocks UN inquiry into war crimes in Yemen

Status
Not open for further replies.
Disgusting.
European Union effort to launch an independent inquiry into Yemen's civil war has been dumbed down after the UK refused to support it.

The Netherlands had proposed that the UN Human Rights Council (HRC) set up an independent inquiry into civilian deaths in Yemen, but foreign secretary Boris Johnson rejected calls for Britain to support the international inquiry last week.

He insisted that the Government is "using a very, very wide variety of information sources about what is happening to acquaint ourselves with the details" about the war in Yemen, where a Saudi Arabia-led coalition is accused of committing war crimes.

In a joint open letter, Human Rights Watch and other NGOs called for the HRC to "establish an international, independent me­chanism to investigate alleged serious violations and abuses of international human rights and humanitarian law committed" in Yemen. However, after the UK refused to lend its support, the Netherlands' proposal was watered down to suggest the Office of the UN High Commissioner for Human Rights (OHCHR) dispatch a mission to monitor the situation.

“Blocking attempts to create an international inquiry is a betrayal of the people of Yemen who have suffered so much during this conflict,” Polly Truscott of Amnesty International said.

“It’s shocking. The UK ought to be standing up for justice and accountability, not acting as a cheerleader for arms companies.”
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/w...nal-blocking-war-crimes-inquiry-a7330136.html

They should end this war and let a non biased inquiry and investigation to occur... the main objective is over anyway.

Literally they can't expect that Saana will ever decide to drop the Houthis are Saleh... This war currently is pointless to proceed any further.
CsOgm5fW8AE4eGi.jpg
Map_of_North_and_South_Yemen.png
The areas under SA/Coalition control is akin to the same borders of South Yemen and since 2011 the idea of unity collapsed.
What they should do is instead stop this bloodshed and give the South Independence since all of them are asking for it.
The Houthis/Saleh wants to control the rest? Or whatever it has occupies so be it give them the north let them enjoy their so called country.

Anything else will lead to more will lead to bloodshed. How do you expect to take over the other territory, when they will place their personal in civilian areas or even have demonstrations that indicates they'll fight with every single type of combatant.

Bloody child soldiers are being used even more now... That is when you should pause and think at what cost are you going to continue to fight in the North and who are you even fighting it for.

Enough of this bloodshed... take away your pride to save lives.

dalin80

Banned
Are the UK selling weapons out there?

The UK sells a lot of weapons and has more contracts being signed with the Saudis, it's pretty easy to guess that the Saudis phoned downing street and said 'block this or lose billions'.

The UK doesn't have the balls to stand up to SA and the EU doesn't have the balls to stand up to the UK and the UN doesn't have any balls at all.

xandaca

We do a lot of arms trading with the Saudis, not to mention that we want to stay in the US' good books, as they've supported plenty of bombing in Yemen too. Disgusting as it is, it's no real surprise we'd once again sell our souls like this.

EDIT: Small change to recognise the US have supported Saudis in Yemen, but maybe not done any bombing themselves.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
The UK sells a lot of weapons and has more contracts being signed with the Saudis, it's pretty easy to guess that the Saudis phoned downing street and said 'block this or lose billions'.

The UK doesn't have the balls to stand up to SA and the EU doesn't have the balls to stand up to the UK and the UN doesn't have any balls at all.

The EU's testicles are of little use here since that is not the way the EU operates. As for the UN, we should remind that their only have the testicular fortitude allowed by their members. While this is not aimed at you now, I really hate how so many people bitching about the UN "having no balls" are the first ones making sure that the UN remains hogtied instead of active and military involved like in the 60's. Those folks would freak the fuck out if one day the UN came back in full Katanga/Korea War style.

Uzzy

Well, at least this is one industry the Government will do anything to prop up.

Absolutely sickening to see us sucking up to the Saudis while they commit warcrimes.

I apologise for my country and the continued ramifications of its electorate's various bad decisions in recent times.

Our government is the shits and to make matters worse, they have no credible opposition. I don't know what else to say really.

Principate

Saint Titanfall

Of course the UN has no balls it was designed that way from the start the UK is of course part of the security council with the power to Veto. There ain't shit the UN can to a country like the UK.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
I don't understand why it needs our support? I mean this is a crappy stance to have, but why does Boris's stance scupper it?

We have a veto as permanent members of the Security Council.

Joni

What can Europe do? Have France veto the veto?

Every day I grow more embarrassed to be a part of this disgusting shit-heap of a nation.

Pick another then? You still have freedom of movement within the EU.

This is just politics in action. Countries regularly block proposals which don't align with their interests. Sucks, but hardly uncommon. Fits the current narrative of the U.K. being "a disgusting shit-heap of a nation". Laughable really when you take a look at the situation in other countries around the world.

"Leave me alone so I'm not remembered of our failings".

Such a cheap and disingenuous response.

The post I responded to said nothing about the actual situation and just trotted out a response typical of what I'd expect in any thread about the UK. Why does a post like that deserve any more effort in a reply than I gave?

I'm a tad sick of reading the same "fuck the uk posts" with no substance. Sorry if it sounds cheap, but it's as credible a response as that post deserved.

RangerX

Banned
The bombardment of innocent civilians in Yemen has been getting very little coverage everywhere. Its really horrific. The UK government should be ashamed.

Joni

The post I responded to said nothing about the actual situation and just trotted out a response typical of what I'd expect in any thread about the UK. Why does a post like that deserve any more effort in a reply than I gave?

I'm a tad sick of reading the same "fuck the uk posts" with no substance. Sorry if it sounds cheap, but it's as credible a response as that post deserved.
So fuck the UK for using their veto to support their own economic needs while ignoring Yemen. France now is the only nation to not use their veto this century unless it is just a threat to veto.

Veto power reform needs to come already for the UN. It's terrifying that all of the permanent council members on the UN itself all act in foreign policy and geopolitics the same, they're all hypocritical, specifically Russia, U.S, and the UK.

Once again another western country that is has the veto power demonstrates its own hypocrisy when it suits their interest while pointing its finger at other countries and saying they don't meet the ideals of countries like "us".

So the U.S and UK will complain just recently about white phosphorus in use in Syria by government forces that is from Russian supply, yet the Saudis are doing the exact same thing in Yemen with U.S supply.

Russia, U.S, UK are all the same when it comes to geopolitics and self interest, they aren't any different, yet all three of them are also part of the 5 permanent members (other two being France and China). It's completely fucked up that the countries that develop its foreign policy on pure self interest and have all created turmoil in the world alone post-WW2 have this veto power. It's bullshit.

I'm a tad sick of this country's hypocritical foreign policies, of our media's bought and paid for lies and propoganda, of it's endless shaming of the poor and disabled, of our government's human rights abuses, it's covering up of child rape, of it's unfathomable idiocy, of the disgusting rise in hate crimes, of the shocking explosion of homelessness on our streets, blah blah...

'Disgusting shit-heap' is as fair and well reasoned a critisism as this country deserves.

acohrs

Saw the words Boris Johnson and wasn't surprised. He screwed up the UK, screwing another country too is just par the course with him and this government

I'm a tad sick of this country's hypocritical foreign policies, of our media's bought and paid for lies and propoganda, of it's endless shaming of the poor and disabled, of our government's human rights abuses, it's covering up of child rape, of it's unfathomable idiocy, of the disgusting rise in hate crimes, of the shocking explosion of homelessness on our streets, blah blah...

'Disgusting shit-heap' is as fair and well reasoned a critisism as this country deserves.

You think these aren't problems that are shared by most European countries, or the US? Most of the world is a shit heap if you choose to look at all the bad and none of the good.

U.S and UK will complain about white phosphorus in use in Syria by government forces that is from Russian supply, yet the Saudis are doing the exact same thing in Yemen with U.S supply.

Russia, U.S, UK are all the same when it comes to geopolitics and self interest, they aren't any different, yet all three of them are also part of the 5 permanent members (other two being France and China).

Pretty much.

I'm a tad sick of this country's hypocritical foreign policies, of our media's bought and paid for lies and propoganda.

This all too plainly apparent with the hypocrisy of the mainstream TV news condemning the recent Syria thing but saying nothing about their own shit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom