• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UK Gaffers - best multi machine retro console?

I keep seeing Facebook ads for retro machines with pre installed multi consoles, computers and arcade with roms. There’s such a variety in prices and wondered if any Uk gaffers could recommend one (NB I don’t want to build my own)

Drew1440

For TV, go with the Nvidia Shield, or Amazon Fire TV cube. Both allow you to install Android emulators and pair a Bluetooth controller

Portable - Steamdeck

Might sound crazy but if you can get a cheap PS3 and mod it to run Retroarch, that might actually be your best option (or one of your best). I'm sure it would be able to run anything from Atari era to Dreamcast more or less well. You have native PS3 games support (duh), native PS2 (depends on model) and native PS1 (depends on model) support too.

This guide seems to show how you can go about modding a PS3 for Retroarch support.

And a guide for MAME core in Retroarch on PS3.

Usually "PC" would be the go-to answer but PS3 emulation on PC still isn't great, and for decent performance you'd need a pretty beefy setup. OTOH, I don't know if systems like the Saturn would run super-well under Retroarch emulation on PS3.

That said...

There's this emulator that can do Sega Saturn emulation on PS3 at 60 FPS at HD resolutions. My first time coming across it..runs Panzer Dragoon Saga quite well here TBH (just as good as I've tried it on PC emulators).

Now systems like Wii U and 3DS might not be possible on PS3 RetroArch, but the idea of a modded PS3 for emulation while getting native PS1/2/3 support has always intrigued me, personally.

Last edited:
Might sound crazy but if you can get a cheap PS3 and mod it to run Retroarch, that might actually be your best option (or one of your best). I'm sure it would be able to run anything from Atari era to Dreamcast more or less well. You have native PS3 games support (duh), native PS2 (depends on model) and native PS1 (depends on model) support too.

This guide seems to show how you can go about modding a PS3 for Retroarch support.

And a guide for MAME core in Retroarch on PS3.

Usually "PC" would be the go-to answer but PS3 emulation on PC still isn't great, and for decent performance you'd need a pretty beefy setup. OTOH, I don't know if systems like the Saturn would run super-well under Retroarch emulation on PS3.

That said...

There's this emulator that can do Sega Saturn emulation on PS3 at 60 FPS at HD resolutions. My first time coming across it..runs Panzer Dragoon Saga quite well here TBH (just as good as I've tried it on PC emulators).

Now systems like Wii U and 3DS might not be possible on PS3 RetroArch, but the idea of a modded PS3 for emulation while getting native PS1/2/3 support has always intrigued me, personally.

Thanks, I do actually have a PS3 so will look into that

I just bought a cheap PC and used it for Retroarch. It works fine up until the Dreamcast where only the 2D games run smoothly. N64 is also terrible/unplayable.

calistan

My recommendation would be Analogue Pocket with a dock and controller.

It’s ridiculously easy to set up, and there’s a utility that will even grab some of the arcade roms for you.

The downside is that it’s not very powerful, so it’s only for non-3D systems, and shipping to the UK is overpriced.

RoboFu

One of the green rats
Just get something like this.

ATOPNUC AMD Ryzen 7 3750H Mini Gaminig PC 16GB RAM 512GB SSD, Mini Computers Radeon Vega 10 Graphics,Micro PC 4K Dual Display for Gamer/Office/Home https://a.co/d/12aDoiO

Shakka43

If it's just for retro gaming you can find office mini PC's for dirt cheap on sites like eBay. A more attractive option would be a dockable handheld like a Steam Deck which you can find for cheap these days if you go for a used lcd model.

if only Nvidia remembered that they have a little streaming box that is in dire need of a new revision, that would be my perfect choice for a tv dedicated retro system.

cireza

Wii U is still the best as far as I am concerned. Console is cheap, Gamepad allows for off-TV gaming and is a great fit for handheld games. Wii U also has a SCART out if you want to plug to a CRT (it will be interlaced though). Wii U also plays Wii and GC games. Gamepad is 480p which is a pretty great value for integer scaling with minimal borders for every 8/16 bits console. Pro Controller is quite good as well.

Last edited:
Going to echo the Steam Deck OLED. From what I've seen it plays everything up to and including the 360 generation. You also obviously have access to an absolutely massive steam library.

Oh and emulation on Deck is easy, just Google EmuDeck install guide. Simple.

SlimeGooGoo

Party Gooper
West Ham, ftw
west-ham-closest-thing-to-a-cup.jpg

MilkyJoe

I keep seeing Facebook ads for retro machines with pre installed multi consoles, computers and arcade with roms. There’s such a variety in prices and wondered if any Uk gaffers could recommend one (NB I don’t want to build my own)

If you're still looking, DM me

icegif-1319.gif

Last edited:

Papa_Wisdom

Honestly if you can pick up an Alienware alpha r2 ( the one with the 960 gtx installed) for cheap it’s amazing for emulation and pc needs.

On mine I have installed

Mednafen: Saturn
Redream: Dreamcast
Demul: naiomi
Model 2
Model 3
Duckststion : ps1
Pcsx2: ps2
Mupen64: n64
Dolphin: GameCube and Wii
Cemu: wii u
Yuzu: switch
Xenia: 360

All of them run fine.

Also plays current gen games such as resi evil 2/3 remake, final fantasy 7 remake

I have upgraded the cpu to 6700 k, ( also need to upgrade the power brick for this) 16gb ram.

I also have the Alienware amp with a 1660 super installed.

Tiny little machine though you could probably get something a bit better in a small pc form factor but not sure show much they cost.

Here’s a pic next to a Dreamcast for size comparison
bs6eupQ.jpg

Edit: I also have an nvidia shield tv which is fantastic, starts to run out of steam when you start hitting GameCube (F zero for example) ps2 is a no go apart from some really simple 2D games.

Last edited:
Steam Deck with Emudeck installed is the best way to play your retro games. Can be played portable or connected to your TV. Best of both worlds.

Last edited:

MilkyJoe

OK here's one, can someone explain this to me.

So I have Xenia installed on a laptop and I start up Goldeneye Remaster, the unreleased 360 one, and it screen tears like a motherfucker. I found that if i open another windows app, like notepad, and it overlays the game screen (my 50 inch tv in this case) the screen tearing stops. You make the notepad as small as you can and there's no screen tearing. BUT if you minimise the notepad window the tearing returns. WTF is going on there??

OK here's one, can someone explain this to me.

So I have Xenia installed on a laptop and I start up Goldeneye Remaster, the unreleased 360 one, and it screen tears like a motherfucker. I found that if i open another windows app, like notepad, and it overlays the game screen (my 50 inch tv in this case) the screen tearing stops. You make the notepad as small as you can and there's no screen tearing. BUT if you minimise the notepad window the tearing returns. WTF is going on there??
Could be a bug with the emulator, try enable vsync through your GPU control panel and see if that fixes the problem.

Hudo

I am from an UK-adjacent country (if you ignore the bit of water) and I'd say go with the Steam Deck.

I got an rg35xx H off Ebay last week. It's been quite good but you need to copy the sd card you get with it to a decent quality card you get loads of ROMs included but will probably find you need to add your own too. Quality seems alright for the money. I updated the stock OS to the latest current stock version which was a massive pain in the ass due to ambernics lack of hosting mainly, downloading and extracting it to the new card being not straight forward.
Can connect it to your TV and use what ever blu tooth controller you want or play it hand held. Plays upto PSP games.

Top Bottom