• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UK PoliGAF |OT3| - Strong and Stable Government? No. Coalition Of Chaos!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Absolutely disgusting, when will Conservatives learn that under funding and punishment alone will only make things much worse?

Is not about learning, m8. Same way with keeping a penalty of up to 7 years in prison for having lsd, mushrooms or mdma in your person. Is about not wanting to piss off your constituents and Fuck Those Other Guys.

Theonik

I don't worry too much about the state pension/retirement tbh. Always found retirement plans to be a form of theft from employees. I've managed to secure a much better income than a retirement plan would be able to give me when I retired than what I'll get from the amount I'm forced to contribute. For most employees, you will never get all of that money back!
(I.E. for every pound of pension contribution you might get say 70p back whereas the same money on a good investment portfolio will be collected with a nice compounding profit without having to worry about not living long enough to get it back)

Like, if he was arguing for his specific strain of Christianity, that'd be one thing. I'm a Catholic in a Protestant country, I can get that.

But arguing Christianity itself as marginalised, and that people are right to feel marginalised for being Christian because that's part of what he ascribes to be the Christian experience - rather than because they actually are - is silly. People took issue with a specific belief because of the implications of that belief, from the leader of an ostensibly moderate and/or progressive party, not just because he was a Christian trying to abide by beliefs. That's too abstract a perspective.

Yeah, people attacked Farron because he thought gay sex was morally wrong and/or refused to explain why he believed this - while campaigning to be the leader of the country. I don't think it matters why he thought that.
I'm pretty sure that if an atheist like Nick Clegg refused to say that gay sex was okay then he would have been be equally criticised (and probably more so).

To flip his argument from the Indie article:

"So, if you wear funky garb, have nice colourful festivals, have interesting nightclubs and comedy shows, then we are absolutely fine about your homosexuality – in fact your gay culture makes us more diverse and allows me to define myself as very liberal and tolerant by demonstrating how cool I am with your homosexuality.
However the moment you show any signs of actually fucking in this way, of thinking that this stuff about loving another guy might even be true or that this sexuality might in any way impact on your conscience or your life choices... well, we don't like that one bit."

Hazzuh

You wonder if it makes sense for the Tories to push back the retirement age when pensioners are the only group who will vote for them ;)

Theonik

You wonder if it makes sense for the Tories to push back the retirement age when pensioners are the only group who will vote for them ;)
Existing pensioners aren't affected. Of course the 50 year olds that are still Tories are and that will hurt them. But they've convinced an entire generation that the country as a whole requires fucking for the greater good.

sammex

They've finally cracked it!

Step 1. Halt life expectancy increases.
Step 2. Keep raising the retirement age.
Step 3. Profit.

Absolutely disgusting, when will Conservatives learn that under funding and punishment alone will only make things much worse?

On an unrelated note people are starting to suspect the Tories have been paying for retweets on some of their tweets due to a few suspect things. Another thing they won't learn it seems in how to actually reach out to people. I can only imagine what a load of faux organic shit they are going to put out when they start their anti momentum initiative.

how-do-you-do-fellow-kids.jpg

All those messed up young people who leave those institutions and are walking around in society isn't going to end well for society and for potential victims of those people. They're likely more messed up than before they came in because of the bullying and violence they've faced and had to defend themselves from.

Horsefly

Statistically, the pension age remaining at 65 for so long compared to the countries actuary tables shows that the state has been very generous.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
I'm okay with my retirement age being 68. I mean, my job is purely intellectual and requires no physical work, and my life expectancy is about 84 from morbidly looking at some actuarial tables. Retire at 68, and nearly fifth of my life is spent in retirement.

What I worry about is people who work jobs that require any kind of physical effort, and people from socially disadvantaged backgrounds with correspondingly lower expectancies. If I'm a docks worker in Glasgow, my life expectancy is 71 and I probably won't be able to do my job much after my 50s anyway.

There needs to be some kind of nuance put into the system to respect these differences.

Theonik

There needs to be some kind of nuance put into the system to respect these differences.
Greece had a system like that going with certain professions classified as unhealthy given lower retirement ages but that's not much long for this world.

E:
It has the same trouble as any other non-universal benefit, people not on it tend to be less inclined to defend it though in Greece's case it was deemed unnecessary by their creditors so slightly different case I suppose. Though I want to say that generally speaking part of the issue is that there is a lot of people that don't view pensions as a result of contributions, which it is. It's not a 'hand-out'. Personally I can't feel any sympathy for anyone here who supports scrapping the triple lock that complains about the pension age being raised.

8bit

Knows the Score
Oh.

https://news.gov.scot/news/uk-governmentdup-deal-1

The Welsh and Scottish Governments have begun the formal dispute resolution process with the UK Government over their right to receive consequential funding as a result of the Prime Minister’s deal with the Democratic Unionist Party. Both governments have made it clear any additional funding for Northern Ireland must respect the established funding principles and rules applied through the operation of the Barnett formula.

TimmmV

Automation will have totally changed society by the time it comes to most people here retiring I think.

I would assume that most people in their 20s now aren't putting much into their pensions too, so it will probably have to be a lot more generous by then

Automation will have totally changed society by the time it comes to most people here retiring I think.

I would assume that most people in their 20s now aren't putting much into their pensions too, so it will probably have to be a lot more generous by then

Or you will end up with lots of people living in poverty. I would not count on automation or a generous state to save you in retirement.
It is entirely possible that all (most of) the fruits of automation and AI will come to those at the top already.

Theonik

Automation and advances in medicine are starting to look more and more likely to lead us to a Galactic Railroad 999 outcome than not tbh.

I really feel like it's always the same. Every single time.

Corbyn: Austerity is bad!
May: You need a healthy economy and you only get it with DA CONSERVATIVVZZZ!!!
Corbyn: But more people live in poverty than before!
May: But we made jobs!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=243YZJXeUO4&t=386s
Having legitimate arguments just isn't enough when the Tories are allowed to spew lies and twisted half truths for every answer to the tough questions.

Logic: 'we have more people in poverty and struggling than ever'

Tories: 'but we introduced the living wage and have created lots of jobs'

Logic: 'do you not fucking get it, people with jobs are still having to go to food banks. Giving someone a job isn't a get out clause when they are still struggling to live.'

Zaph

This made me laugh - we recognise the sacrifice made by the public sector, now if you don't mind, we're going on our summer holidays. ta ta

I know I'm being reductive, but it was a funny juxtaposition.

This made me laugh - we recognise the sacrifice made by the public sector, now if you don't mind, we're going on our summer holidays. ta ta

I know I'm being reductive, but it was a funny juxtaposition.

Sacrifice implies it was willing and that those affected considered it acceptable. But as my mother put it some years ago (as best I recall anyway), she would have been fine if it was a cut to her pension or a freeze on her pay or a increase on her contributions; making it all three was where it got ridiculous.

Theonik

The state pension age has to go a lot higher until that's true. A lot higher
Will be 80 by the time they retire. 60 years of well invested savings is much better than the state pension will do. Most people are never getting close to the money they put in relatively speaking.

Horsefly

Will be 80 by the time they retire. 60 years of well invested savings is much better than the state pension will do. Most people are never getting close to the money they put in relatively speaking.

Oh I see what you're saying. Yes, I'd rather have the money myself for my own planning rather than relying on the government to do a bad job with my money.

Are you saying we should do away with the state pension altogether? What about the bad eggs?

TeddyBoy

Oh I see what you're saying. Yes, I'd rather have the money myself for my own planning rather than relying on the government to do a bad job with my money.

Are you saying we should do away with the state pension altogether? What about the bad eggs?

I think Theonik was being sarcastic and making a point how pensions relative value has decreased for younger people.

Maledict

So here's the thing. The unpleasant truth most people don't like hearing.

The vast, vast majority of the population are extremely bad at managing their own money, planning for the future, and judging risk. Like, *terribly* bad. And unfortunately the worse off your situation the worse that is. So whilst it makes a great sound bite 'we believe you know what to do with your money best, not the government' it's actually completely wrong.

So whilst you personally might be better off managing your own money, most people won't be and need the state pension. And that means we all have to pay into it, not just those who might need it.

Theonik

I think Theonik was being sarcastic and making a point how pensions relative value has decreased for younger people.
Hah, I thought Theonik was being serious for exactly the same reason :D
I think Theonik™ is an enigma, his posts provoke thought and discussion, they're awesome like that!

Think I've gotten confused and quoted the wrong post, sorry - but at least we're in agreement! ;-)
xw3VJTS.gif

TimmmV

Or you will end up with lots of people living in poverty. I would not count on automation or a generous state to save you in retirement.
It is entirely possible that all (most of) the fruits of automation and AI will come to those at the top already.

The state can't be relied on no, but for many people that isn't really a choice - you only get so much money in your salary every month!

Aren't because of an inability, or lack of foresight?

Well ultimately its a bit of both, but much more the former.

I would assume the majority of people in their 20's pay more towards their student loan every month then they do their pension

(I have no evidence for this whatsoever btw, just think it is likely what is happening. Would be very happy to be told this is wrong!)

kmag

Good news. Disgraced Minister Liam Fox says we can "survive" a no deal brexit. I mean it's a far cry from the gold shitting unicorn we were promised.

SteveWD40

Good news. Disgraced Minister Liam Fox says we can "survive" a no deal brexit. I mean it's a far cry from the gold shitting unicorn we were promised.

Lots of telling changes in dialogue, very little positivity from leavers now they are expected to deliver it.

PJV3

We have to live within our means, if some people have to die so that we can avoid raising taxes then that's a fair trade off.

It probably ends up costing more to be an arse, isn't the return to work stuff costing more than it saves?

The ONS says...

In January 2014, UK Statistics Authority found that the statistics based on police recorded crime data did not meet the required standard for designation as National Statistics. Police recorded crime is not currently considered a reliable measure of trends in crime for most crime types.
. These increases need to be seen in the context of the focus on the quality of crime recording by the police in recent years. This follows inspections of forces by Her Majesty's Inspectorate of Constabulary (HMIC), the Public Administration Select Committee inquiry into crime statistics, and the UK Statistics Authority's decision to remove the National Statistics designation from police recorded crime statistics in 2014.
The police recorded nearly 5 million offences in the year ending March 2017, which represented an annual rise of 10%; this increase is likely to reflect a range of factors, which vary by crime type, including continuing improvements to recording processes and practices, expanded offence coverage and also genuine increases in some crime types.

Also it seems - courtesy of Reddit, where I'm just ripping this off from - that the homicide rate has gone up 26% but over half that increase is thanks to the Hilsborough deaths being recorded as manslaughter now. I think the stats are a bit muggy.

MUGGY.

Edit: Also...

Excluding fraud and computer misuse offences, there were an estimated 5.9 million incidents of crime experienced by adults aged 16 and over based on Crime Survey for England and Wales (CSEW) interviews in the year ending March 2017. This is a decrease of 7% from the 6.3 million incidents estimated in the previous year's survey.

Pied off.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom