• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UK PoliGAF |OT3| - Strong and Stable Government? No. Coalition Of Chaos!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Horsefly

Good on him.

A politician with beliefs who isn't afraid to hide them or avoid answering questions on a topic. How refreshing

Spuck-uk

Banned
regardless if the utub is fake or not, what is the obsession of mogg? i know hes a posh twat but he doesn't seem that ambitious. edit: seems like there was a hacking attempt so maybe not? despite their publicity they're a mess.

He's the only one they can name that stands out from the relentless dull grey mess of incredibly similar posh middle aged white men in the Tory party.

Of course, the reason he stands out is because he's an ultra posh twatty throwback with victorian era ideas on women and homosexuality. Even in comparison to Boris, he's a real piece of shit.

Horsefly

Would you applaud someone calling for genocide?

Because, hey, "at least they're being honest"?

in a word, yes!
especially if it came not long after we'd had a party leader who felt unable to be honest about the very same topic, telling the public one thing while holding a very different view internally.

No, Mogg was able to be open and honest with the electorate about a topic and is willing to be judged as such.

In turn, I will listen to his answer and judge that I'd be hard pressed to ever find a situation that I would want him in any power with that opinion.

Democracy, it's a beautiful thing when people are honest...

Good on him.

A politician with beliefs who isn't afraid to hide them or avoid answering questions on a topic. How refreshing

Would be more refreshing if a Tory MP had beliefs that weren't about restricting rights and negatively impacting the lives of other people for a change.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
JC is getting quite good at this PMQs business by all accounts.

Horsefly

Would be more refreshing if a Tory MP had beliefs that weren't about restricting rights and negatively impacting the lives of other people for a change.

This is not a party issue. He 100% puts these positions down his religion (though the Venn diagram against the Tories would be interesting). A strict catholic in any party will have to deal with exactly the same issues.

Would you applaud someone calling for genocide?

Because, hey, "at least they're being honest"?

You can simultaneously applaud someone's honesty whilst also disliking their actual views.

For what it's worth, presumably his views on abortion are shared by literally everyone who believes that life begins at conception. I don't, but if you do, it's hard to see how you could then go on to support abortion. He also seems to be "doing a Farron" in the sense that he isn't claiming to want the current laws changed.

Mr. Sam

I know everybody had the preconception of him prior to the election as someone who couldn't tie his shoelaces without shitting himself but I've always thought he was a match for May. There are no 5-0s but he's good at grinding out the results. It was with Cameron that he was out of his depth.

Beefy

Good on him.

Good on him for being a homophobe?

You can simultaneously applaud someone's honesty whilst also disliking their actual views.

For what it's worth, presumably his views on abortion are shared by literally everyone who believes that life begins at conception. I don't, but if you do, it's hard to see how you could then go on to support abortion. He also seems to be "doing a Farron" in the sense that he isn't claiming to want the current laws changed.

Not if the persons views are fucked up you can't.

kmag

Meh. The two biggest stories this week were the Brexit negotiations and the Home office immigration leak. He's unable to bring the PM to account on either because of his own wishy-washiness on each of them.

May being inept doesn't make Corbyn particularly great. He tends to stay on pretty safe territory which is nice but unmemorable. If you've heard him bang on about zhc once you've heard him do it a million times.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
Meh. The two biggest stories this week were the Brexit negotiations and the Home office immigration leak. He's unable to bring the PM to account on either because of his own wishy-washiness on each of them.

May being inept doesn't make Corbyn particularly great. He tends to stay on pretty safe territory which is nice but unmemorable. If you've heard him bang on about zhc once you've heard him do it a million times.

Consistent 1-0 wins are still wins. He's shown he can do it on a cold night in Stoke.

Beefy

Now now, you're better than that.

So you'd rather politicians lied about their fucked up opinions and antiquated beliefs when questioned, even though that may influence their decision making process in parliament?

I would rather they didn't have fucked up views. I am not going to applaud or say well done to a bigot being a bigot. Next I will have to say well done to a dude calling me nigger to my face.

Not if the persons views are fucked up you can't.

Sure you can. We all claim we don't want the identikit, focus-group-tested, repeating-the-same-line, "I'm glad you asked me that Nick because what I think's really important here is that the opposition can't do ..." shit. The type of responses whose number 1 goal is to be as inoffensive to everyone as possible. But it doesn't exactly take a big brave boy to say things that everyone likes, does it? "I really like the NHS and think schools should be good." Gee, you really took a risk with that one.

Basically I suppose what I'm saying is that the more "fucked up" their views are, the more credit they should get for saying it in spite of that, because it's not that fucking hard to say popular things, is it? And "I want them to speak their mind - as long as I agree with it" doesn't really have the same ring. That's why you need to separate what they're saying from the fact they've said it, and appraise the two things separately.

Edit: Read my last line, and you'll see why I don't think anyone here thinks you should be congratulating people for calling you a nigger. You're being a bit silly here.

Beefy

Sure you can. We all claim we don't want the identikit, focus-group-tested, repeating-the-same-line, "I'm glad you asked me that Nick because what I think's really important here is that the opposition can't do ..." shit. The type of responses whose number 1 goal is to be as inoffensive to everyone as possible. But it doesn't exactly take a big brave boy to say things that everyone likes, does it? "I really like the NHS and think schools should be good." Gee, you really took a risk with that one.

Basically I suppose what I'm saying is that the more "fucked up" their views are, the more credit they should get for saying it in spite of that, because it's not that fucking hard to say popular things, is it? And "I want them to speak their mind - as long as I agree with it" doesn't really have the same ring. That's why you need to separate what they're saying from the fact they've said it, and appraise the two things separately.

Edit: Read my last line, and you'll see why I don't think anyone here thinks you should be congratulating people for calling you a nigger. You're being a bit silly here.

Bigotry is bigotry in my book. I am guessing you are a straight white dude right? Me being a black dude who use to be bi has a way different view then you.

Jezbollah

Yeah, Mogg being Mogg. If this interview doesnt shut up those crazy people who were considering him a leadership candidate, nothing will.

There needs to be a gif of JRM in front of a bunker with "its not happening" flashing up.

I heard a quote by Noam Chomsky discussed on the radio the other day where he said something along the lines of "Support for freedom of speech is specifically support for speech you disagree with. Even Stalin supported freedom of speech for those who agreed with him". When it comes to Rees-Mogg, all I see is a Roman Catholic who is being honest. It's not really of much consequence, since he's well in the minority with respect to abortion and gay marriage. I can't really see rights with respect to those being rolled back at this point. The cat's out of the bag, so to speak.

*Splinter

in a word, yes!
especially if it came not long after we'd had a party leader who felt unable to be honest about the very same topic, telling the public one thing while holding a very different view internally.

No, Mogg was able to be open and honest with the electorate about a topic and is willing to be judged as such.

In turn, I will listen to his answer and judge that I'd be hard pressed to ever find a situation that I would want him in any power with that opinion.

Democracy, it's a beautiful thing when people are honest...
Eh, fair enough

Yeah I get that, but "at least he was honest" just feels like such a low bar for praise, it's especially eyebrow-raising as a response to bigotry.

To me it always sounds like there's an implication that everyone who isn't an outright racist/homophobe/whatever is just lying about their opinions, as if everyone is either a bigot or a closeted bigot. Similar to "he tells it like it is".

I can see the comparison to Farron though, so fair enough.

TimmmV

I heard a quote by Noam Chomsky discussed on the radio the other day where he said something along the lines of "Support for freedom of speech is specifically support for speech you disagree with. Even Stalin supported freedom of speech for those who agreed with him". When it comes to Rees-Mogg, all I see is a Roman Catholic who is being honest. It's not really of much consequence, since he's well in the minority with respect to abortion and gay marriage. I can't really see rights with respect to those being rolled back at this point. The cat's out of the bag, so to speak.

No one is saying he should be in prison or something though, his right to say these things isn't up for debate. But it's totally fine to question whether having those views means he should be a representative in parliament, or whether people should be giving him a platform to say those things, and certainly whether someone openly having awful views should be commended for airing them even if they're awful

Freedom of speech doesn't mean freedom of consequence of saying awful things.

Basically I suppose what I'm saying is that the more "fucked up" their views are, the more credit they should get for saying it in spite of that, because it's not that fucking hard to say popular things, is it? And "I want them to speak their mind - as long as I agree with it" doesn't really have the same ring. That's why you need to separate what they're saying from the fact they've said it, and appraise the two things separately..

No?

I'm certainly not going to be giving Tommy Robinson or someone any credit just because hes proud about being a total fucking arsehole

No?

I'm certainly not going to be giving Tommy Robinson or someone any credit just because hes proud about being a total fucking arsehole

Ok, but given this whole discussion started with Mogg going on TV and talking about abortion, we don't actually need to generate fictitious examples; He'd have seen what happened to Farron, where he was dogged about one question for an entire election campaign. He went on TV, got asked the questions and said "Yup, I'm a Catholic and like basically all Catholics, I think abortion's wrong and so's gay marriage, but I also know that's a minority opinion and so the laws won't change." It would have made his life a lot easier if he'd just dodged the question or lied, but you don't think he should be commended for being honest?

Beefy

Ok, but given this whole discussion started with Mogg going on TV and talking about abortion, we don't actually need to generate fictitious examples; He'd have seen what happened to Farron, where he was dogged about one question for an entire election campaign. He went on TV, got asked the questions and said "Yup, I'm a Catholic and like basically all Catholics, I think abortion's wrong and so's gay marriage, but I also know that's a minority opinion and so the laws won't change." It would have made his life a lot easier if he'd just dodged the question or lied, but you don't think he should be commended for being honest?

Again you are basically saying he should be commended for speaking of his disgusting beliefs in public. That shouldn't be commended at all. Disgusting believes whether hidden or spoke in public are still disgusting believes. I don't get the whole but at least he is honest crap.

Again you are basically saying he should be commended for speaking of his disgusting beliefs in public. That shouldn't be commended at all. Disgusting believes whether hidden or spoke in public are still disgusting believes. I don't get the whole but at least he is honest crap.

We're clearly just at odds here, because I don't know how I can better explain my position; None of your responses have actually explain why you think that the content of what one says and the honesty with which they speak are linked. The admiration comes from the element of self-sacrifice displayed. If we forget about Mogg for a moment (I know I said we don't need fictitious examples above, but maybe we do), do you contest the assertion that people should be commended for saying something that they know is unpopular and will probably cause them trouble but that they nonetheless believe to be right? I mean this is right out of the Neville-Longbottom-winning-10-points-for-Gryffindor-at-the-end-of-Philosphers-Stone-thus-winning-the-House-Cup playbook. Or when a husband refuses to take his wife's side in an argument when he knows she's wrong, even if it means he'll be sleeping on the sofa as a result? Or a politician going on Good Morning Britain and saying they think the Royal Family are parasites and that the fawning over another Royal Baby is pathetic, knowing it's more likely to cost them votes than benefit them? If you think the decision to speak their mind in any of these examples of worthy of praise, then please try and explain where the distinction is between that and a politician saying "As a Catholic my view is that abortion is murder". The fact you disagree with the opinion doesn't change the arithmetic of deciding to be true to the audience even though it'll hurt them.

TimmmV

I mean, being honest about it is certainly better than thinking those things and pretending you don't, sure. But in the grand scheme of things I would still commend some bland person with ultimately good beliefs than someone who will openly talk about their shitty ones. I certainly don't think the caveat "well, at least he's honest" is really worth bothering saying when the thing he is being so honest about is so objectionable

I also really dont think Farron would have made his life easier if he had said something along the lines of "I personally think marriage should be between a man and a woman, but respect that this isn't the public opinion and will follow that". The public would absolutely not have accepted that from the leader of the Lib Dems

I mean, being honest about it is certainly better than thinking those things and pretending you don't, sure. But in the grand scheme of things I would still commend some bland person with ultimately good beliefs than someone who will openly talk about their shitty ones.

I also really dont think Farron would have made his life easier if he had said something along the lines of "I personally think marriage should be between a man and a woman, but respect that this isn't the public opinion and will follow that". The public would absolutely not have accepted that from the leader of the Lib Dems

That pretty much is what he said after being pushed, and you're right, a lot of people didn't accept that. But the problem there wasn't really that he was (eventually) honest, it was that ultimately his beliefs were incompatible with that of his party, in the same way a Tory leader who said they wanted to nationalise the telecoms business would be. And I'd agree that, holistically, I'd commend the person with bland but "correct" (where correct = "the same as mine", natch) views over a brave racist. Fortunately we are able to be nuanced enough to basically say "I disagree with him, but I admire that he came out and said it."

Beefy

We're clearly just at odds here, because I don't know how I can better explain my position; None of your responses have actually explain why you think that the content of what one says and the honesty with which they speak are linked. The admiration comes from the element of self-sacrifice displayed. If we forget about Mogg for a moment (I know I said we don't need fictitious examples above, but maybe we do), do you contest the assertion that people should be commended for saying something that they know is unpopular and will probably cause them trouble but that they nonetheless believe to be right? I mean this is right out of the Neville-Longbottom-winning-10-points-for-Gryffindor-at-the-end-of-Philosphers-Stone-thus-winning-the-House-Cup playbook. Or when a husband refuses to take his wife's side in an argument when he knows she's wrong, even if it means he'll be sleeping on the sofa as a result? Or a politician going on Good Morning Britain and saying they think the Royal Family are parasites and that the fawning over another Royal Baby is pathetic, knowing it's more likely to cost them votes than benefit them? If you think the decision to speak their mind in any of these examples of worthy of praise, then please try and explain where the distinction is between that and a politician saying "As a Catholic my view is that abortion is murder". The fact you disagree with the opinion doesn't change the arithmetic of deciding to be true to the audience even though it'll hurt them.

It's pretty clear what I am getting at. As soon as persons view effects another person then I don't give a shit if they are outspoken or not. "I don't agree with gay marriage" is homophobic and harms and treats the gay community as being not worthy of being married. To say abortion is wrong is treating woman as 2nd class and shouldn't have a choice what to do with their bodies. The examples you give are not even close to the same and I don't get how you can't see the difference. People can speak their mind, but if their view harms or undermines others they should not be commended for doing so.

Beefy

That pretty much is what he said after being pushed, and you're right, a lot of people didn't accept that. But the problem there wasn't really that he was (eventually) honest, it was that ultimately his beliefs were incompatible with that of his party, in the same way a Tory leader who said they wanted to nationalise the telecoms business would be. And I'd agree that, holistically, I'd commend the person with bland but "correct" (where correct = "the same as mine", natch) views over a brave racist. Fortunately we are able to be nuanced enough to basically say "I disagree with him, but I admire that he came out and said it."

Why would you admire a racist spewing racist shit?

It's pretty clear what I am getting at. As soon as persons view effects another person then I don't give a shit if they are outspoken or not. "I don't agree with gay marriage" is homophobic and harms and treats the gay community as being not worthy of being married. To say abortion is wrong is treating woman as 2nd class and shouldn't have a choice what to do with their bodies. The examples you give are not even close to the same and I don't get how you can't see the difference. People can speak their mind, but if their view harms or undermines others they should not be commended for doing so.

Why would you admire a racist spewing racist shit?

Aaaaand I'm out.

TimmmV

Idk, I think there are just some views that are that so wrong/backwards that I can't even respect someone for openly airing them despite the public backlash they get - this is especially true for an MP who lives in a safe seat that they have next to no chance of losing. Then they're basically being a twat knowing they can get away with it

Like, I can respect people for sticking to principles on (say) economics or something even if I strongly disagree with them, but when its stuff like this homophobic nonsense by Mogg, or some of the sexist shite that Philip Davies comes out with, then I just think "yep, you're still an utter twat"

Is part of this reaction due to the emotive nature of the term 'respect'/etc? Like, I think it's a good thing that we know what his views are quite clearly - so people can judge him and his character - but I'd struggle to describe my feelings for him doing that are respect.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
I think my preferences are probably:

1. Person who supports LGBT rights, etc. and is honest
2. Person who supports LGBT rights, etc. and is dishonest
3. Person who opposes LGBT rights, etc. and is honest
4. Person who opposes LGBT rights, etc. and is dishonest

At least for 3., you can do something about them, instead of them making office then covertly doing lots of homophobic stuff. I think 3.s are much more likely to get further ahead in their careers despite having the same opinions as 4.s. So I suppose I respect at least one aspect of Rees-Mogg's character, which is his willingness to be honest about at least one of his opinions even to his own personal loss.

This doesn't mean I have to respect Rees-Mogg as an entire character, though; Quite the reverse, I despise the man, he's a bigot and a homophobe.

I think that's probably my take on it?

pswii60

Are we still discussing Mogg?

I thought the news that the EU is wanting NI to have a different Brexit deal to the rest of the UK would be a big talking point. If that was to happen, then Scotland would want its own deal too and things will start getting even more tricky.

Mindwipe

Unlike Farron however he's consistently voted against gay rights and abortion rights in Parliament. So it seems pretty clearly different to me.

An MP also has a lot more responsibilities than just voting if they're in a losing position, they're also required to support their constituents, and it's hard to see how Rees-Mogg could possibly do that on local issues which involve gay people or abortion here.

Bruvas have more of a vocabulary then that shit. Even Stormzy calls it out. I am not getting pissed at it btw.

I'm sure they do, but the format of the quiz is that there's four options. They're not saying that esteemed wordsmith Stormzy only has a four word vocabulary.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom