• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UK Retailer GAME is dead | Brera's Lament

Status
Not open for further replies.

MRORANGE

I'm happy with my internet connection it takes me under 2 hours to download a 15gb game, most likely the same time taken to go to the GAME store and coming back home.

I guess it really depends on people's expectation's on what is fast. I would hardly call the the UK internet structure crippled.

kaizoku

I'm not as deluded as I make myself out to be
The situation in the Manchester Arndale was hilarious. We had GAME and a gamestation round the corner from each other for years. Then GAME bought out gamestation so that was weird. Then GAME opened up a new branch round the corner! So they had 3 store all competing with each other within 2 mins of each other! Insane.

Now both GAMEs have closed, end of an era! They provided a service that wasn't good enough to justify the prices and as a company have failed to adjust in ways to allow them to compete online and do nothing to provide a more special service.

I drew up a business plan years ago on how a game retailer could work in the modern era, the answer is social. Put your customers in touch with each other, create a community, a sense of belonging and value. It's the only way a physical store can differentiate itself from an online retailer.

Have gaming nights, competitions, preview nights, community nights, have a strong online community. Can only be done by someone who cares obviously.

I guess it really depends on people's expectation's on what is fast. I would hardly call the the UK internet structure crippled.

I'm on 5mb internet here in Wales. It does the job, just, but it's pretty pathetic.

Internet in the UK needs to get a lot faster, especially in rural places, before the DD future is possible.

And for the record I can't wait for that DD future. <3 Steam.

Rich!

I'm on 5mb internet here in Wales. It does the job, just, but it's pretty pathetic.

Internet in the UK needs to get a lot faster, especially in rural places, before the DD future is possible.

And for the record I can't wait for that DD future. <3 Steam.

2mb/s DSL for me, and we cannot get fibreoptic in my area...but literally five minutes down the road, the nearest town has the fastest internet in the entirety of the UK.

Aaaand there's no sign of my area getting it. Fucking ridiculous.

Mikeside

I'll laugh if people lose their pre-order deposits because GAME couldn't last through Christmas, just like Woolworths. Not like the public didn't have fair warning of the troubles GAME was facing

Too right - I fucking love it when people lose money.

Not everyone knows about the recent trouble with GAME. Not everybody would read the story even if they see it in the newspaper or whatever. Grandparents pre-ordering as a Christmas present for their grandkids probably wouldn't have paid enough attention to news stories about a Game shop almost closing months ago to worry about losing their money from pre-ordering a console there just before Christmas.

BluWacky

I noticed this the other day. About HMV being the only place on Oxford Street is not technically true; you can buy videogames at Dixons, Argos and Selfridges. Though I get where you're coming from. There is a cool place by Goodge Street that I used to buy my DS imports from a few years back. A cool CEX in Rathbone Place which is also pretty close too.

Game Focus on Goodge Street has closed now. The last time I went in there most of the stock was DVDs and Prince of Tennis games that no-one wanted. Very sad :(

winstano

I think you are all wrong.

GAME isn't going anywhere. Just look at the Wii-U pre-orders. As long as they can last another 18 months, the buxx will roll in.

I just spat my drink out. I miss this thread, and the chaos that went along with it when it all kicked off!

Damn you guys, I thought this thread being defibrilated meant they were truly going under.

So nothing has actually changed since they were in trouble. Still the same old tired pricing and aggressive sales routine. I give 'em a year tops.

herod

I have 30mb and between streaming on netflix, live sports, torrents, gaming live on console it doesn't really stand up too well when everyone in my household is doing something Internet related all at once.

If you have virgin then no wonder.

Infinity gives you what is advertised, cable contends and shapes you to fuck all.

Q

Queen of Hunting

Unconfirmed Member
i pre ordered guild wars 2 in my local game store for £39.99. i picked up my copy. a week later my friend wanted one and they were selling it for £49.99 lol

s_mirage

I think it's been around in America since 2007/2008...

With limited availability and using what's widely regarded as an inferior standard that is increasingly looking dead in the water. LTE network deployment started later and there weren't any phones that even supported it before last year

BUMP.

I'm not overly surprised, but it was good to see that GAME has re-opened in the Arndale today (it was originally closed down in favour of the tera-bad Gamestation upstairs).

Hopefully after the Christmas rush they'll just keep the Game store open and nuke the GS one instead.

Edit; They're having a "new store openign offers" thing going on as well - 33% off certain stuff, certain offers for Slim trade-ins and MoH:W for £29.99 new.

Game has reopened in Blackburn and is fair chepa aswell for some things

I may have only set foot in Blackburn twice in the last 10 years but I'm happy to hear that, many an hour I spent there in my youth and I dread to think how much of my money went in that till

BUMP.

I'm not overly surprised, but it was good to see that GAME has re-opened in the Arndale today (it was originally closed down in favour of the tera-bad Gamestation upstairs).

Hopefully after the Christmas rush they'll just keep the Game store open and nuke the GS one instead.

Edit; They're having a "new store openign offers" thing going on as well - 33% off certain stuff, certain offers for Slim trade-ins and MoH:W for £29.99 new.

As a brand Gamestation is getting killed off over the next few months so i suspect that will be the case.

How are these clowns still in business? Just traded in 5 games, got Far Cry 3 for 99p, and somehow managed to walk out with a Steam Gift card for £40.

Gazzawa

How are these clowns still in business? Just traded in 5 games, got Far Cry 3 for 99p, and somehow managed to walk out with a Steam Gift card for £40.
Shiiiit.
For that trade in GAME Ireland would have just smacked me in the face.
RIP GAME Ireland.
Lol jk fuck them

Oh shit, I have a £38 Gamestation card that can't be used online. Apparently I can use it in Game, so I'll try and visit Reading before they go bust

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Oh shit, I have a £38 Gamestation card that can't be used online. Apparently I can use it in Game, so I'll try and visit Reading before they go bust

By 'killed off' it just means they'll rebrand as GAME. You can already buy GAMEware stud in there and use your game loyalty card etc.

Bumhead

Banned
Our GAME in Sheffield city centre re-opened recently. Only been in there so far to pick up a Wii U. In the time between them closing and re-opening again I forgot how much of a miserable experience shopping in GAME is. Not helped by the fact that all the old staff have been replaced, and without getting personal or anything some of the new employee's in there really aren't up to snuff yet.

When I go to our independant store I spend my time in there talking about games. When I go to GAME I spend my time shaking my head and saying "No I'm OK thanks" to various proposals for strategy guides, accessories, extended cover, controllers, bundles etc etc..

I'm inclined to think they've learned shit all from this years experiences.

mr_lakitu

Neo Member
Our GAME in Sheffield city centre re-opened recently. Only been in there so far to pick up a Wii U. In the time between them closing and re-opening again I forgot how much of a miserable experience shopping in GAME is. Not helped by the fact that all the old staff have been replaced, and without getting personal or anything some of the new employee's in there really aren't up to snuff yet.

Ah tell me about it. When I saw them stocking up I was like, WTF. Then when it re-opened I went in and to my surprise the layout is exactly the same as it was before. It's a horrible shop. You feel trapped as soon as you walk in.

I take it by talking games you mean in Playtime Multimedia? I like that shop, except the price of games the day before they're released they stick £5 on top, mocking their loyal customers.

Another from the field re-opening. This news is from 2 weeks ago, only just remembered the thread now (the store may have been open longer for all I know).

So in Stoke-on-Trent we had 3 stores. 1 Gamestation outside the main shopping centre, two inside literally on top of one another. The two in the shopping centre shut down.

Well now that the Gamestation has been rebranded GAME, one of the stores in the shopping centre has been re-opened. The harder to access one on the upper floor. Though it is, slightly bigger and, nearer to HMV. Then again IIRC there is a toyshop where the downstairs store used to be. Maybe the fact the store space was still available to rent is as much of a concern...but anyway, so much for there being any purpose to shutting down stores in the first place...

I really don't get administrators and people who buy companies at times.

I didn't go in any of those stores so can't comment on staff or lack thereof but its really short sighted to lose experienced staff just to save a few months rent. Then again maybe the difference isn't really that great.

When I go to our independant store I spend my time in there talking about games. When I go to GAME I spend my time shaking my head and saying "No I'm OK thanks" to various proposals for strategy guides, accessories, extended cover, controllers, bundles etc etc..

I'm inclined to think they've learned shit all from this years experiences.

LOL, I just got my Wii U there today. The attendant helping me went on this big speech trying to sell me the protection plan, heh. But at least their trade-in specials towards Wii U stuff was really good.

Bumhead

Banned
LOL, I just got my Wii U there today. The attendant helping me went on this big speech trying to sell me the protection plan, heh. But at least their trade-in specials towards Wii U stuff was really good.

Yeah I noticed your post in the Release Day thread, sounds like you got a decent deal to be honest! And sounds like you went through the same pre-purchase ordeal as I did, haha.

Ah tell me about it. When I saw them stocking up I was like, WTF. Then when it re-opened I went in and to my surprise the layout is exactly the same as it was before. It's a horrible shop. You feel trapped as soon as you walk in.

I take it by talking games you mean in Playtime Multimedia? I like that shop, except the price of games the day before they're released they stick £5 on top, mocking their loyal customers.

Yeah, Playtime. Their prices are normally pretty good, although yeah the price premium for early purchases is a tad annoying. Although they're not obligated to sell them early at all so if people want to pay it, all power to them I suppose? I like to give them my custom where possible though, decent store and a nice friendly team there, along with some really cool rarer/older finds from time to time.

Game has reopened in Blackburn and is fair chepa aswell for some things

Thats strange. Game XChange has always been the busier shop since it moved from near the bus stops. Wonder why they reopened it.

I may have only set foot in Blackburn twice in the last 10 years but I'm happy to hear that, many an hour I spent there in my youth and I dread to think how much of my money went in that till

Gone are the days when the store was across from Argos with the famous GAME GAME GAME logo written across the shop front. A huge CRT screen facing outwards (Musta been atleast 50 inch, that being said at this point I was like 3feet tall) seducing passers by showing Soul Blade in all its PSX glory, with a member of staff standing by handing the controller out to the new challengers. Winner stays on ofcourse.

Sigh Game not only used to be such a great shop but also a friendly magical place.

Grieves

Just noticed today that my local Gamestation has re-opened as Game. Nice to have a local game shop again. Completely different staff, though.

Jackano

It's a frakking mess like I never saw in video game retailing here in France.

Hint: yesterday was the beginning of a global sales tradition here, each january stores have the right to bargain last year goods during 3 weeks. I absolutely don't know if this occurs in other countries but basically you have armies of womens fighting and running on luxury (or not) stores. Same for video game stores (except the women part).

So, with perfect timing, Game is using (or should I say used) this to disguise their full stock clearance, before.. closing all their shops in France.
Basically you have between -25 to -60% on brand new games (I saw it myself in the nearest two stores in Paris, websites are reporting -85%) and -20 to -50 on hardwares (websites reporting -60%).
Today everything was gone. Since the last few months it was surprising to see ninja-closed stores, but now you have to find an opened Game store with actually, something in the shelves. In the two stores I visited (one at 12:00 the other at 19:00), zero brand enw game left. And only Xbox360 and psp hardwares (you can easily get a new psp3000 for something like 50€ I think).

Since my last buy (WiiU and stuffs) I had something like ~35€ in cash back, only be able to spent ~15€ in various WiiU official accesories which had also massive bargain price. It's not easy to find something in stock to buy, and when it's here it's super cheap.

It really make me sad in fact. One customer ask for a few more € off. The Game guy answered: "I can't, don't exagerate. Game, it's over".
Now we will have a monopole by Micromania. Can't be good.

Oh and finally, for the few minutes after works I spent, 3 people asked for WiiU hardwares. Sure people are searching for good deals, but it can also be a clue that -25% to the price and people jump in.

I am probably GAME's worst customer. I use up their floorspace, browsing titles, chatting with the staff and other customers. Yet I don't buy anything. I feel a little guilty, but I don't agree with GAME's business practices.

But its nice to browse physical titles and chat with like minded people in person.

There's also an HMV Gamerbase near me, and am thinking of subscribing just to hook with some people.

So yeah. Blame me for GAME's financial troubles.

Even as a share holder in GAME, I can see that it's one shit outfit. It always was. It's not even really GAME...it's futureshop or EB.

GAME was an awesome company that they bought out and turned to shit. Gamestation was the same, they used to be great but now there is no difference between the two.

I'd never trade in a game there, the prices are a rip off and their trade ins are shit. You're basically giving away your games if you buy from there as after the trade in, the game price is the same as most online prices!

Having said that, GAME have a future and my 10'000 shares are going to be worth fucking shitloads in 3 years when the next gen starts! Shitloads!

That was posted on the 18th of February, 2012, just over 3 years ago.

But don't worry, I'm sure he's took advantage of this situation by buying up even more stocks for cheap, so that they'll be worth even MORE when they inevitably shoot up in value.

EDIT: Fuck me sideways; I meant to post this in another thread (I had two tabs open). My bad. At least it's still relevant.

CivRab

Okay so I pre-ordered for £20 the MGS:5 TPP Collectors Edition from their Basildon store, wtf do I do? they are the only retailer in the UK supplying the collectors edition and they have my money...

Ban Puncher

Do people have little calendars on their desks with far flung future dates circled, marked with 'GOTCHA!' in big red pen? Maybe a white board set up with a heap of usernames and their posts connected with bits of string like when they try to catch a serial killer in the movies?

"Has it been three years already? Time to tell that guy on the internet to suck it!"

sam777

Okay so I pre-ordered for £20 the MGS:5 TPP Collectors Edition from their Basildon store, wtf do I do? they are the only retailer in the UK supplying the collectors edition and they have my money...

This is 3 year old thread bumped by accident, don't worry about it.

SKINNER!

Banned
Too bad Brera is banned so he can't tell us how things went with his shares.

otgKxEX.gif

yatesl

I can't believe this bump. I audibly gasped... until I saw the Comet concession stores, and realised it was 3 years old.

Oh, I was wondering when the Game store in the Hounslow treaty center was replaced. Was surprised when I went there and it was some nex toy store instead.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom