• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[UK] The Daily Mail and the power of punctuation: the murder of Jo Cox

Status
Not open for further replies.
Shortly before the EU referendum in Britain on 23 June this year, the MP for Batley and Spen in Yorkshire, Jo Cox, was murdered in the street by a man called Thomas Mair, who stabbed and shot her, and stabbed another man (non-fatal), whilst shouting 'Britain first'. This is both the name of a far-right 'patriotic' group concerned with Islamification, liberalism, and the invention of the wheel, and also politically relevant considering the rhetoric and narratives of the EU referendum, vis EU powers vs British powers, etc.

The murder was an outrage, and was condemned as such. However, during the referendum campaign the more febrile parts of the right were very quick to condemn any attempt to 'politicise' the murder. The gist was 'it was tragic, but it wasn't political, move on'. Of course, demanding people ignore things like what Mair said is in itself political, but heyho.

Fast-forward to Mair's trial. He was sentenced to life, for what the judge described as a 'brutal, ruthless' act, that was pre-meditated and politically motivated.

Cue the British press reaction. Most papers carried the news on their front pages. But then we come to the Daily Mail (which didn't mention the verdict on their front page, iirc), and the power of a hyphen.

Currently the main story about Jo Cox on the Mail Online is this:

Did Neo-Nazi murder Jo over fear he'd lose council house he grew up in? Terrorist thought property could end up being occupied by an immigrant family - and the MP wouldn't help him

If you're at all familiar with British politics, you'll see the touching points: housing, immigration, political elites out of touch, terrorism. The Mail call Mair a terrorist, as has essentially been demanded of them, and rightly so (they are classic players of the 'white terrorist is mental loner, brown terrorist is an appendage of a vast Islamic conspiracy', whereas mental health, ideology, and terrorism are surely rather entwined, and so it's something of a coup to even have them use the word here).

The article itself explores Mair's Nazi obsessions (SS material, Breivik, etc) and isolation, and whilst it would never, ever, ever print anything like this about any other kind of political killing, it at least tries to paint a somewhat rounded picture so it can, if needed, retreat behind statement of basic facts about the case, which should be the bare minimum of any journalism.

But at the same time, look at the headline, and then the hyphen. It can very easily be read that Jo Cox, the victim, did not help Mair with his problems. But Mair never approached Jo Cox. The hyphen, one could reason, is the Mail splitting one clause from another to emphasise Mair's isolation and mindset.

But what do we find below the article? These (amongst other nonsense) comments:
Jo cox was another Labour rat who would rather spend time helping out immigrant families and campaigning for increases in the international aid budget than help White working class families"

Although it's terrible what he did, she didn't help him. Her politics were as anti-british as Abbott.

The houses should be given to the locals not immigrants.Put the Asylum seekers in ntents and stop giving any benfits to them.UK is not here to provide for 4 wives and hordes of brat

If it is true that he killed her because she would not help him, that would explain a lot - but this is the first we haive heard of the possible reason in 6 months. Has the media been colluding in covering up the reason he killed her?

Anyone who has a mind to can refer to Hansard to see if Jo Cox was more concerned about her constituents or the plight of the Third World.

The Mail are masters at this kind of thing, and I think the hyphen is a powerful example of this. The third paragraph (normally explicating things are down in the infamous paragraph 19...) explains that Mair thought Cox wouldn't help him. But look at the space left by the hyphen before you read that.

Sorry for the rather particular topic, I just find this kind of thing very interesting at a time of such heightened concern over rhetoric and dogwhistling.

Symphonia

Banned
The Daily Mail are on par with The Sun in terms of trash. I've given up caring what they have to say. And, honestly, this headline and article don't surprise me. Biggest bunch of amateur tosspot journalists I've ever known. And I can say this with having experience working with them.

mulac

Daily Mail is go-to "Toilet Reading" because its stupid, trash, badly written and more often than not copies news stories i saw on reddit or gaf 24hrs before.

I can think of a number of ways to construct that headline which would be unambiguous and read better, so yeah that's blatant and fucking disgusting.

tuxfool

Banned
Daily Mail is go-to "Toilet Reading" because its stupid, trash, badly written and more often than not copies news stories i saw on reddit or gaf 24hrs before.

I wouldn't deign to wipe my ass with the mail, let alone read it on the toilet.

KDR_11k

All tabloid headlines are lies and propaganda. No surprise there. People keep falling for that shit but then again they wouldn't be buying these rags if they didn't intend to give in to the easy rage.

Mail is pure trash

That the Mail is one of our most popular newspapers is really scary. It really is a disgusting paper, and worse than The Sun in my eyes. The Sun is awful too, but doesn't take itself quite so serious and I think a lot of Sun readers are well aware of its failings. I'm not confident to say the same of the Mail.

The referendum in a fucking nutshell.

All the conservative media and more putting out bullshit headline after bullshit fucking headline.

Case in point:

This tweet says it all:

https://twitter.com/pete_sinclair/status/801408530406395905

Edit: Actually how do I display tweets in full, incl the image?

To the point where towns that BENEFIT from direct EU funding ended up voting to leave because the EUROPEAN was ruining their lives.

The media coverage of majorly important political events has really fucked the west in 2016.

Also shows the cowardice of the mail to put this bullshit story at PAGE 30 of their paper while other papers are doing headlines or first storkea.

Breakage

Isn't the Mail online the most visited online newspaper in the UK?
As long as that is the case then the anti-foreigner, right-wing sentiment will continue to grow stronger. This paper is all about shit stirring. They have people like Katie Hopkins (who also now has her own slot on a national radio station) putting out articles to further fuel the flames.
And a lot of people in this country will continue to buy into it wholesale.

Zaph

Rags like the Daily Mail are so transparent with their bullshit that they don't even have to try that hard to get their readers to fuck themselves over.

I sometimes wonder if this is just a modern form of natural selection? Maybe we're not supposed to prosper until we advance as a society?

As long as that is the case then the anti-foreigner, right-wing sentiment will continue to grow stronger. This paper is all about shit stirring. They have people like Katie Hopkins (who also now has her own slot on a national radio station) putting out articles to further fuel the flames.
I listen to LBC every day while commuting. Was pretty sickened when I heard she got a slot on the station.

I can just about stomach Nick Ferrari, but I can't even make it through the ten second adverts for her weekends slot without wanting to die.

Breakage

I listen to LBC every day while commuting. Was pretty sickened when I heard she got a slot on the station.

I can just about stomach Nick Ferrari, but I can't even make it through the ten second adverts for her weekends slot without wanting to die.

Yeah, it's a disgrace. I mean this is a woman that wrote an article in the mail with the headline "I'd rather be grabbed by the pussy than have one for President." And now she's free to peddle her bullshit over the airwaves. When we've people like that encouraging people to get angry and stay angry on a national scale, what chance does the UK have of ever recovering? It's impossible to convince people that they are being fed absolute rubbish.

This tweet says it all:

https://twitter.com/pete_sinclair/status/801408530406395905

Edit: Actually how do I display tweets in full, incl the image?
7ssb4sd.png

I think it's the most visited online newspaper in the world!

edit: English language newspaper that is

Guardian is second.

Not sure why UK newspapers dominate tbh.

Breakage

I think it's the most visited online newspaper in the world!

edit: English language newspaper that is

Guardian is second.

Not sure why UK newspapers dominate tbh.

It's probably down to the Mail's celebrity gossip side bar. I guess a lot of people want to see what Pixie Lott is wearing today.

Diabelli

I just can't with Daily Mail's comments section. Those comments actually get me frustrated, because it's those people that have made this country go into freefall.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom