• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Labour MP Jo Cox 'murdered for a political cause' (UK)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Beefy

A man shouted "This is for Britain" as he killed Labour MP Jo Cox, the Old Bailey has heard.

She was stabbed 15 times and shot three times outside her constituency surgery in Birstall, near Leeds, on 16 June - a week before the EU referendum.

Jurors were told Thomas Mair, 53, killed the mother-of-two for "political and/or ideological reasons", and had researched "far right" material in the weeks beforehand.
Mr Mair, from Birstall, denies murder.

Mrs Cox, 41, had supported the Remain side during the EU campaign, and was due to hold a constituency surgery in a library after visiting a local school and care home when she was attacked.

'Cowardly'

Mr Mair told police officers "I am a political activist" after he was arrested less than a mile from the murder scene, the court heard.

Prosecutor Richard Whittam QC said: "Thomas Mair clearly held views that provided him with a motive - utterly misplaced of course.

"The prosecution suggests that motive was such that he killed her because she was an MP who did not share his views."

Mr Whittam continued: "As she arrived she was brutally murdered by one of her constituents, this defendant, Thomas Mair.

"It was a cowardly attack by a man armed with a firearm and a knife.

"Jo Cox was shot three times and suffered multiple stab wounds. During the course of the murder Thomas Mair was heard by a number of witnesses to say repeatedly 'Britain First'."

Jurors were told that 77-year-old Bernard Carter-Kenny was also injured as he tried to save Mrs Cox.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-37978582

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
52% of Britain, the week after, said "Look, I don't know about shooting anyone, that seems a bridge too far, but the man had a point."

mAcOdIn

How can he deny it was murder? Can't really claim an accident or self defense when you shot and stabbed the person repeatedly.

Beefy

52% of Britain, the week after, said "Look, I don't know about shooting anyone, that seems a bridge too far, but the man had a point."

And the UK press still print shit like this:

front-pages.jpg

The press should be held accountable for some of the stuff they say.

liquidtmd

Banned
I hated Brexit.

I hate where we are going as a country.

I despair at the logic of many a Brexit voter but not all

However let's be clear here - even if this guy isn't mentally ill and was solely motivated to murder to make a political point, this 'with the Brexit vote hur hur most of Britain validated him / sided with him / made him have a point' innuendo is not pleasant.

I can disagree with a person's politics and still distinguish personal culpability.

I hope they throw the key away.

Mr-Joker

Banned
So..... terrorist.

Nah he's white so it's mentally ill.

And the UK press still print shit like this:

front-pages.jpg

The press should be held accountable for some of the stuff they say.

Indeed, the press are just gutter feed and need to go away.

What an idiotic thing to say, did the Irish stop being white?

Plenty of Irish men and women have been arrested under terrorisim charges ...... instead of trying to be edgy .... get some facts instead.

R.I.P. Jo.

I think he's joking as the new media tend to print out that you're only a terrorist if you're brown and Muslim, otherwise you're mentally ill.

It's dumb and it's possible to have two labels but the media know this and don't care for reporting the correct fact.

What an idiotic thing to say, did the Irish stop being white?

Plenty of Irish men and women have been arrested under terrorisim charges ...... instead of trying to be edgy .... get some facts instead.

R.I.P. Jo.
They're talking about the double standard when it comes to white people and people of color being called terrorists.

Like how Ryan lochte was just having "fun".

They're talking about the double standard when it comes to white people and people of color being called terrorists.

Like how Ryan lochte was just having "fun".

Yeah, plenty of white people have been labelled terrorists ....... if you are talking about issues with the US press then it is misplaced in this conversation.

Yeah, plenty of white people have been labelled terrorists ....... if you are talking about issues with the US press then it is misplaced in this conversation.

This guy killed an MP in a politically motivated attack and due to him being white the media and Brexiters did their best to paint him as somebody who was mentally challenged who had gone through many difficulties in life. It was exactly what would happen in the US and It's tiring watching people claim like institutional racism isn't a thing here or that racism isn't common. We're just as bad as the US we just don't have their gun laws.

amanset

This guy killed an MP in a politically motivated attack and due to him being white the media and Brexiters did their best to paint him as somebody who was mentally challenged who had gone through many difficulties in life. It was exactly what would happen in the US and It's tiring watching people claim like institutional racism isn't a thing here or that racism isn't common. We're just as bad as the US we just don't have their gun laws.

Because having "terrorism" linked to their cause would have fucked it royally.

As has been said, we've had no problem labelling white people as terrorists before and we'll have no problem in the future. In this case, the Vote Leave people had a vested interest in their cause not being linked with terrorism, so they tried to make it look otherwise.

Not everything is racism, you know. Sometimes there is another explanation.

Because having "terrorism" linked to their cause would have fucked it royally.

As has been said, we've had no problem labelling white people as terrorists before and we'll have no problem in the future. In this case, the Vote Leave people had a vested interest in their cause not being linked with terrorism, so they tried to make it look otherwise.

Not everything is racism, you know. Sometimes there is another explanation.

You're right. Racist media attempting to cover up an attack that was likely in part inspired by their racist rhetoric because it made their racist narrative look too racist clearly has nothing to do with racism.

Guess I'll spend the rest of the evening trying to empathise with the economically anxious white folks in Yorkshire.

amanset

You're right. Racist media attempting to cover up an attack that was likely in part inspired by their racist rhetoric because it made their racist narrative look too racist clearly has nothing to do with racism.

Guess I'll spend the rest of the evening trying to empathise with the economically anxious white folks in Yorkshire.

Media that supported Brexit trying hard not to connect Brexit with Terrorism.

But of course, everything is racism.

Mr Mair denies murder, grievous bodily harm with intent, possession of a firearm with intent to commit an indictable offence and possession of an offensive weapon - a dagger.

Maybe I'm confused about how English justice works, but with multiple witnesses, DNA evidence tying the accused to the murder weapon and the murder victim, and scads of motive, what does this man have to gain from pleading innocence? Are there no plea deals in England?

amanset

I look at like a few bbc links and none of them seem to use the word assassinated. Whats up with that?

Because the BBC is very careful with their words, something they have got into trouble with in the past. For example, the decidedly non-white Paris attackers got referred to as "Militants".

But clearly something something racism.

amanset

Maybe I'm confused about how English justice works, but with multiple witnesses, DNA evidence tying the accused to the murder weapon and the murder victim, and scads of motive, what does this man have to gain from pleading innocence? Are there no plea deals in England?

Not in the same way the US does, no.

Ogodei

This is the madness of the world nowadays. People have become normalized and utterly indifferent to violent hatred that they discount it as a factor in picking their allies.

krang

I literally jumped from my chair saying "what?"

Because seriously.... what? Do you think terrorist is a race or something? Anyone can be a terrorist.

I think they are playing on the way this will be reported in the right-leaning tabloids.

M.Bluth

When this terrible crime happened, I thought FOR SURE that the Leave campaign's failure was ensured.
But I suppose expecting decency in 2016 is asking too much.

Palmer27

I always like to think of my country as more twee than radical, then I am reminded of this delightful horror. Anyone else think a viable centre-left party would cauterise this fringe shit, or is it too little too late?

krang

When this terrible crime happened, I thought FOR SURE that the Leave campaign's failure was ensured.

Farage at the time said that this had unfortunately caused the Leave campaign to lose momentum. Despicable.

Blueingreen

What the hell is this, did Nigel Farage personally send this man on a mission to kill an MP? Because clearly murdering Jo Cox a Labour MP will sway more people towards the leave campaign that makes sense right ? The guy was clearly a nutcase acting on his own accord, who also happened to be a racist.

As a remain supporter I find his actions disgusting I found allot of the Leave campaign's methods to be dirty, but I also found my fellow remain supporters attempt a making a martyr out Jo Cox just to sling at the Leave campaign to be equally as disgusting. Thomas Mair was clearly mental, with no affiliation to any party and shouldn't be painted over 52% of the populaton, that's just a gross generalisation.

I mean what the fuck is this hyperbole shit? said no one ever. Jo Cox death was tragic but the worst thing anyone can do is politicize her death in regards to the current political climate, you're just playing into the hands of this obvious maniac.

She was assassinated. Was obvious then, it's obvious now. Still makes me sad. He's admitted to it like 50 times over at this point and people still trip over themselves to call him "mental".

Nah man. I mean, if you wanna argue nationalism is a disease then I've got time for you, but that's not what's happened here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom