• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jo Cox (Labour MP) stabbed, shot dead in Yorkshire

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dambrosi

Banned
Nothing in this thread about this...?
gVWcqlc.jpg

That'll be the narrative going forward. I can see some tabloids changing their stances.

I take it they are still investigating the Nazi stuff?

Seems so.

Interesting at at least one newspaper is at least acknowledging the terrorist link.

While West Yorkshire police were saying little about their investigation, they have made clear that detectives will take a close interest both in Mair’s mental health history and any far-right connections, and are likely to examine any interaction between the two.

Dee Collins, the temporary chief constable of West Yorkshire police, said: “We are aware of the speculation within the media in respect of the suspect’s link to mental health services, and this is a clear line of inquiry which we are pursuing.

“We are also aware of the inference within the media of the suspect being linked to rightwing extremism, which is again a priority line of enquiry which will help us establish the motive for the attack on Jo.”

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news...suspect-west-yorkshire-police-far-right-links

Not sure if this is a reliable source...

The suspect in the murder of MP Jo Cox was so abusive towards Asians working at a local taxi company that the drivers demanded he be blacklisted, it has been alleged.

As David Cameron, Jeremy Corbyn and John Bercow made their way to Birstall to pay respect to the 41-year-old mother of two, a local taxi company claimed drivers were unwilling to pick Mair up in their vehicles because they were subjected to racial abuse.

Zain Ali, 21, who works at the Oakwell & Rex taxi firm in Birstall, told IBTimes UK: "Drivers have said they picked him up and he would give them racist abuse. They asked us to blacklist him, said they would rather not bother with his fare."

A woman also told IBTimes UK that Mair was "acting erratically" and being violent towards Asian taxi drivers two weeks before Cox was killed. The woman, who did not wished to be named, said: "He was in the Post Office acting erratically, mumbling and jumbling. And walking down the street mumbling. He was actually talking to the Asian taxi drivers, and being aggressive."

http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/jo-cox-mur...hurled-racist-abuse-asian-cab-drivers-1566105

Kabouter

I noticed a lot of that on twitter last night from leave hardliners, seems to be a growing issue with them, They are the real traitors.

Why does anyone have to be a traitor*? It's a difference in political opinion, not spying for a foreign power.

*You know, other than the piece of shit that murdered Jo Cox.

Kathian

Banned
Hes our Breivik. Whilst I am happy we have clarity, it is quite dangerous that people might listen to him. Especially if there is a Remain vote.

Even if there is a Leave vote, Boris and Gove have been playing coy on immigration, with their main aim around legal powers not reducing the flow of people.

EDIT; also shame on him for politicising the event /s

Jesus fucking wept. What have we done?

We?

I don't know if you can put the blame on any collective "we" for this. He acted out of some misguided notion that people who wanted to stay in the EU were traitors, if it wasn't the EU referendum, it might have been at one of the Britain First rallies or during the general election.

Anyone who doesn't think like him or believe in what he does is a traitor in his eyes and very likely would have acted regardless at some point. After all, he was being guided by extremist propaganda and wouldn't be surprising if it's revealed he was a Stormfront member too...

Why does anyone have to be a traitor? It's a difference in political opinion, not spying for a foreign power.

Sorry but wishing folk to be killed for exercising their political beliefs betrays what this country was built on, surely that must be the true basis of being a traitor, so basically its ok to wish folk to die because they believe in a free and integrated UK. I am all for freedom of opinion but there must be a line where one cannot cross, i saw folk last night wanting a return to the death penalty for remain voters and it wasnt just the odd tweet.

Kabouter

Sorry but wishing folk to be killed for exercising their political beliefs betrays what this country was built on, surely that must be the true basis of being a traitor, so basically its ok to wish folk to die because they believe in a free and integrated UK. I am all for freedom of opinion but there must be a line where one cannot cross, i saw folk last night wanting a return to the death penalty for remain voters and it wasnt just the odd tweet.

Ah, it wasn't clear to me that these other hardliners were actually calling for people to be killed. Then never mind my previous post, because we are in absolute agreement.

I don't know if you can put the blame on any collective "we" for this. He acted out of some misguided notion that people who wanted to stay in the EU were traitors, if it wasn't the EU referendum, it might have been at one of the Britain First rallies or during the general election.

I'm talking about the culture of blaming everyone but the people responsible for why people's lives are so miserable these days. I'm not saying that anyone told this vermin to do this, but I am saying that you keep telling someone that X is to blame for their life and that Y is a threat; that eventually some psycho is going to end up snapping.

We?

Anyone who doesn't think like him or believe in what he does is a traitor in his eyes and very likely would have acted regardless at some point. After all, he was being guided by extremist propaganda and wouldn't be surprising if it's revealed he was a Stormfront member too...

I do think that the press and some of our politicians bear some responsibility for this.

Ah, it wasn't clear to me that these other hardliners were actually calling for people to be killed. Then never mind my previous post, because we are in absolute agreement.

No worries it is just crazy here, i am still in utter shock at what is happening, i abhor violence of any sort and whats happening to my country is breaking my heart.

I'm talking about the culture of blaming everyone but the people responsible for why people's lives are so miserable these days. I'm not saying that anyone told this vermin to do this, but I am saying that you keep telling someone that X is to blame for their life and that Y is a threat; that eventually some psycho is going to end up snapping.

Ah, okay. I misread your post. My bad.

I do think that the press and some of our politicians bear some responsibility for this.

I agree but he's been a right wing Nazi supporter for some years now, so it's hard to know if the EU ref is what pushed him over the edge or if he finally built up the courage to go out and do what he might have been planning to to for years...

No sign of terror charges yet.

Probably won't be any. Localised incident. Cops made it clear with that statement how they were going to treat this, but they might surprise everyone with a terror related charge...unlikely though.

Who the fuck is Louise Mensch, verified on Twitter and abusing everyone and saying it's clearly a mental health issue nothing else.

When confronted with his epsiode in court this morning, her reply:

@bethanyusher @MikeEcoPR wibble wibble I'm a hatstand

What absolute gutter trash she is whoever she may be!

Saiyar

Unconfirmed Member
Who the fuck is Louise Mensch, verified on Twitter and abusing everyone and saying it's clearly a mental health issue nothing else.

She is a former Tory MP.

Yeah she is showing herself today as a fanatical right winger, swearing and abusing everyone who disagrees with her, bet when her kids grow up and look back and what she said they will be ashamed, total moron she is.

PJV3

Tory attention seeker and former MP.

Also a prat.

Maledict

It won't be a terror charge. Not because he's not Al-qiada based terrorism - the government's nations terrorism strategy is clear that right wing terrorism is a priority, and indeed in several areas that's more of a priority than al-Qaida terrorism.

It's because he was clearly not acting as part of a group or organised effort - that tends to be how the UK deals with these things (see the Lee Rigby killers for the same thing).

She probably baiting for more death threats.

It won't be a terror charge. Not because he's not Al-qiada based terrorism - the government's nations terrorism strategy is clear that right wing terrorism is a priority, and indeed in several areas that's more of a priority than al-Qaida terrorism.

It's because he was clearly not acting as part of a group or organised effort - that tends to be how the UK deals with these things (see the Lee Rigby killers for the same thing).

Lone wolf terror attacks are a thing and he's confirmed this morning his actions were political in motive.

It's terrorism. I'm not sure what else you can call it to be honest.

Maledict

Lone wolf terror attacks are a thing and he's confirmed this morning his actions were political in motive.

I'm just saying, this is how the government and police forces classify things in the UK. I think there's also an aspect of activity that goes into it - the difference between reading a website and committing acts, versus talking too and communicating with terrorists and then committing acts. Generally the security services are decent at intercepting and monitoring the latter, but the former is far harder to manage.

King_Moc

Banned

She's a right wing, fascist, publicity whore of the highest order. She got voted out of her seat in Corby because she was never fucking there, and was just trying to make a name for herself in the media instead.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3252FSW7OC4

Absolute cretin. All she believes is hate.

Chocolate & Vanilla

Fuck Strawberry

To me at least, a terrorist attack is one that is aimed at inciting fear in the public at large and targets a group/ethnicity/nationality/minority of people or is even indiscriminate. Not necessarily just because something is political is it a terrorist attack. This was an assassination. Jo Cox was a specific individual in a position of authority. I don't know if an assassination comes under terrorism laws now or laws that pre-date them. I'm just talking semantics.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Incredibly sad. The far right continues to ruin the world.

Kathian

Banned
Fucking hell at the conspiracy shit on Mensch's page; total nutter. As a Scot I am enjoying seeing England go to hell in a hand basket compared to the Scottish ref where Yes were attacked for posting some not very nice things on Twitter.

Fucking hell at the conspiracy shit on Mensch's page; total nutter. As a Scot I am enjoying seeing England go to hell in a hand basket compared to the Scottish ref where Yes were attacked for posting some not very nice things on Twitter.

Yeah she has lost the plot, i think she should be assessed for mental illness because her reactions of twitter and her conspiracy theories about everything suggest she is a bit unstable.

Oriel

Former Tory MP who now makes a living spouting shit on some Murdoch owned site in the States. Oh, and also a Fox News contributor.

As a Scot I am enjoying seeing England go to hell in a hand basket compared to the Scottish ref where Yes were attacked for posting some not very nice things on Twitter.

It seems frustratingly ironic that the Scottish had the nice and relatively civil referendum (obviously probably didn't feel like it at the time) while the English get the one that involves murder.

On a different note that makes this even more sad than it already was, after checking the current BBC article, realised that in addition to all the referendum stuff:
_90019395_jocoxvigil_glasgow.jpg

There was likely planning for her birthday.

Par Score

What's sad is I'm sure some people will still try to spin this as nothing to do with Brexit, or the poisonous tone of the Brexit campaign...

Oh, right, Mensch, of course. Dellingpole too. Breitbart. How silly of me to forget the usual right-wing suspects.

What's sad is I'm sure some people will still try to spin this as nothing to do with Brexit, or the poisonous tone of the Brexit campaign...

Oh, right, Mensch, of course. Dellingpole too. Breitbart. How silly of me to forget the usual right-wing suspects.

The whole campaign has been built off a foundation of scare mongering on both sides. It's been a shit affair from start to finish and frankly embarrassing for a nation that is supposedly a paragon of democracy.

AntChum

The whole campaign has been built off a foundation of scare mongering on both sides. It's been a shit affair from start to finish and frankly embarrassing for a nation that is supposedly a paragon of democracy.
Both sides have indeed used scare tactics, however I don't see remain campaigners assassinating the opposition or engaging in paramilitary training camps.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom