• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UK's top 50 best selling games of 2014 [Update: Now Top 100]

SmokyDave

100. LEGO PIRATES OF THE CARIBBEAN

So Bayonetta 2 was outsold by a 3 year old LEGO game?

Hang your heads in shame Wii U owners.

Daemul

Its also on PC.

And besides I don't know what you guys are talking about, the top exclusive game on that list is Minecraft: Xbox edition, and we all know the Xbox edition is exclusive to Xbox

:)

PC sales would have negligible impact on the games ranking in the physical charts though. We really need both physical and digital sales for a more precise chart, we ain't gonna get them though lol

Scipio

Prove that NeoGAF is a worse representation of gaming than any random 17 year old Brit.

FIFA was shite this year too.

Bundling a new IP normally plays out one of two ways:

If game is good and liked the bundling garners it a bigger install base that it might otherwise have gotten and generally subsequent entries will sell very well without bundling

If the game is weak or simply doesn't "click" with majority then it was never going to succed and the IP will wither whatever happens.

Bundling rarely results in a market that then waits for future bundles but it can artificially inflate how popular a game seems.

At this point it feels like word of mouth on Driveclub has been very good since they switched on challenges and released weather patch so unless the Plus edition aides lots of issues I think the IP will have benefitted from bundling.

I also think DC would have struggled without bundles due to the technical issues plaguing it at launch.

Very good points, some I hadn't really given much thought to.

Let's hope it did click for the majority, but I'd he lying if I said it wasn't somewhat depressing to pop into a GAME and see almost an entire shelf of just DC pre-owned copies...

100. LEGO PIRATES OF THE CARIBBEAN

So Bayonetta 2 was outsold by a 3 year old LEGO game?

Hang your heads in shame Wii U owners.

Oh man, I did my part, but it was always going to be a hard sell with how bad everything U related is in the UK.

Why is Colonial Marines in there. Who is still buying it?!

It plagued the charts for some months due to some retailers selling it for as little as £2.99.

UK top 10

1. FIFA 15
2. CALL OF DUTY: ADVANCED WARFARE
3. GRAND THEFT AUTO V
4. DESTINY
5. WATCH DOGS
6. MINECRAFT: XBOX EDITION
7. FIFA 14
8. FAR CRY 4
9. CALL OF DUTY: GHOSTS
10. ASSASSIN'S CREED UNITY

Germany top 10

01 FIFA 2015 (ELECTRONIC ARTS) >1m
02 GRAND THEFT AUTO V (TAKE-TWO INTERACTIVE)
03 CALL OF DUTY: ADVANCED WARFARE (ACTIVISION BLIZZARD) >500k
04 FIFA 2014 (ELECTRONIC ARTS)
05 WATCH DOGS (UBISOFT)
06 DIABLO III: REAPER OF SOULS (ACTIVISION BLIZZARD)
07 FAR CRY 4 (UBISOFT)
08 MINECRAFT (MICROSOFT)
09 MINECRAFT (SONY COMPUTER ENTERTAINMENT)
10 CALL OF DUTY: GHOSTS (ACTIVISION BLIZZARD)

lol at the guys complaining about 2 FIFA/CoDs in top 10, or the FIFA/CoD/GTA top 3

CANLI

what bad tastes lollll look at this top 3!! I like Fifa but it doesn't deserve at all to sell millions. This game is an update of last years and not a full game
In uk, there will never be place to little developers.

Edit: Top 100.

Physical only.

22. WOLFENSTEIN: THE NEW ORDER

Source: MVC

ibt19PKuV9Noqt.jpg

It was me, I bought that game twice.

Teenage males pretty much own the UK gaming market.

U-WOT-M8.jpg

dunno about that, i think those are just the games that have the widest appeal to all ages. im pretty sure the same amount of people my age bought those games (20's/30's), hell i bought gta 5 and fifa 15 and pretty sure my taste is otherwise not in line with the 'average casual gamer'.

Bruno MB

Did anybody really expect to see a title like Bayonetta 2 inside an all formats chart where all versions are combined?

Even Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze is nowhere to be seen.

CassSept

Didn't Driveclub sell that much because it was bundled with PS4 everywhere? When I was to UK around Black Friday PS4+Driveclub advertisements were everywhere.

12. TITANFALL - Best selling 'not on my competitors console' exclusive

19. DRIVECLUB Best selling full exclusive and best selling PS4 exclusive

24. THE LAST OF US REMASTERED Best Selling Remaster

27. HALO: THE MASTER CHIEF COLLECTION Best selling Xbox One exclusive

28. SUPER SMASH BROS Best Selling "Nintendo" exclusive

30. MARIO KART 8 Best selling Wii U exclusive

Some interesting arbitrary rewards there, just for fun.

What I find most interesting is the number of cross platform/gen titles that are dominating the list. It goes to show that the exclusives, at least this year, haven't been huge console shifters.

EDIT: If MCC doesn't count as an Xbox One exclusive, then that award would go to:

53. SUNSET OVERDRIVE

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
22. WOLFENSTEIN: THE NEW ORDER
23. THE EVIL WITHIN

Bethesda must by happy about this.

14. THE LEGO MOVIE VIDEO GAME
16. LEGO MARVEL SUPER HEROES
18. LEGO BATMAN 3: BEYOND GOTHAM
39. LEGO THE HOBBIT
64. LEGO BATMAN 2: DC SUPER HEROES
75. LEGO STAR WARS: THE COMPLETE SAGA