• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3 |OT| of 9 Years Urley

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yep. Combined with Sven's interesting reaction, I would hope we have a title update planned for some point in the future. No need for patches when you're doing an AE-style upgrade.
An AE styled upgrade should come after a substantial amount(think four) of DLC characters in an ideal world when you look at how this game was handled.
Yeah.. it will still probably mean no Gene/Gambit/etc and people will still be pissed though.
I can respect this if the the DLC characters are the ones that fans have been clamoring for. Capcom has a bunch of characters they could add before Gene/Megaman that would get people hyped again.

Ryu(BoF)
Nina (BoF2>BoF3)
Donovan(Darkstalkers)/Jedah
Jin Saotome
Captain Commando
Akira Kazama
Saki
Batsu
Tessa
M. Bison
Powerstone character/Rogue(Powerstone 2 chocolate version please)

Even 2 from this group would tell people that Capcom are seriously trying to please. The problem is Marvel though.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
An AE styled upgrade should come after a substantial amount(think four) of DLC characters in an ideal world when you look at how this game was handled.

I can respect this if the the DLC characters are the ones that fans have been clamoring for. Capcom has a bunch of characters they could add before Gene/Megaman that would get people hyped again.

Ryu(BoF)
Nina (BoF2>BoF3)
Donovan(Darkstalkers)/Jedah
Jin Saotome
Captain Commando
Akira Kazama
Saki
Batsu
Tessa
M. Bison
Powerstone character/Rogue(Powerstone 2 chocolate version please)

Even 2 from this group would tell people that Capcom are seriously trying to please. The problem is Marvel though.
Yep, Marvel has always been the problem. And it's likely we wont get X as a DLC costume because of the alt. The Marvel list is doomed unless they have something in the contract like with Shuma that allows them to pick whoever they want for DLC.

4 is far too few though IMO. It needs to be something like 8, to round out Niitsuma's vision, and finally achieve the arbitrary more-than-MvC2 status.

Genuinely surprised really from Sven's reaction too, but I'm not changing my mind or getting hyped yet. If anything, I think Gene would be a shoe in. Card inclusions don't necessarily rule out characters as DLC, but they've given props to like every series thus far through H&H, it's hard to even predict at this point. And even if we could attempt to predict, logic alone is not enough to deduce RR and Nemesis-like inclusions.

Sure as hell hope it isn't another Darkstalker. Although I'm a hypocrite and would totally love Bison or Seth or Juri
or Hakan

Yep, Marvel has always been the problem. And it's likely we wont get X as a DLC costume because of the alt. The Marvel list is doomed unless they have something in the contract like with Shuma that allows them to pick whoever they want for DLC.
Megaman will be playable in some form. There is no way that they'll let a DLC costume get in the way of that. I refuse to believe that.

Marvel can fuck off. I've already said that before. :p
4 is far too few though IMO. It needs to be something like 8, to round out Niitsuma's vision, and finally achieve the arbitrary more-than-MvC2 status.
I gave up hope the moment I started using my Hsien-Ko avatar again. I'm willing to take scraps from these guys now. I've lowered my expectations by a whole lot.

I wanted 8 DLC and another 8-12, but it's not gonna happen that way anymore. We'll be lucky to get four DLC characters and an eight character AE styled upgrade.
Genuinely surprised really from Sven's reaction too, but I'm not changing my mind or getting hyped yet. If anything, I think Gene would be a shoe in. Card inclusions don't necessarily rule out characters as DLC, but they've given props to like every series thus far through H&H, it's hard to even predict at this point. And even if we could attempt to predict, logic alone is not enough to deduce RR and Nemesis-like inclusions.
This is for the money. If they do sell DLC characters they are likely coming from a pool of already designed characters. I refuse to believe that they'll toss us complete wild cards again if they can throw at least one mid-big name character our way.

They can't be stupid enough to toss us more sex slave Jills and Shuma's can they?
Sure as hell hope it isn't another Darkstalker. Although I'm a hypocrite and would totally love Bison or Seth or Juri
or Hakan
Why no more Darkstalkers? Every single one is absolutely unique in this cast. They do a far better job of distinguishing themselves from other characters at this point.

Morrigan is the undisputed Queen of lameness, Felicia is one of the top 3 strongest rushdown characters in the game and Hsien-Ko is the worst character in the game(Phoenix isn't time tested like she is :3).

All of the Darkstalkers outside of Q Bee, Demitri and Victor would add crazy ass shit to the cast too. Also, there should be enough room for a Darkstalker and Street Fighter in my hopeless world of four DLC characters followed an eight character AE upgrade.
No more characters. Please.
Go away
I'd pay 30 bucks for Seth :p
I wonder if that would spark Poongko's interest...
Because Hsien-Ko.
The body has gone stiff. There is nothing more we can do for her.

Kimosabae

Banned
More =/= better. Fighting game rosters are way too bloated nowadays. The faster coming updates/patches/sequels makes things worse. We don't even get a chance to learn these games anymore. As a person with interests outside video games, it's hard for me to get as much value as I can out of all these FG releases with so many characters in each game's roster. Playing multiple games would be much more feasible if I didn't have to become familiar with 12,636,000 possible matchup permutations in each one.

Casual interests think they want a large roster - but they don't. It's just a marketing bullet on the back of the box that persuades them to make a purchase, but once they see the character select screen, it's just one of the many things about fighting games that scares them away.

IMO, less characters in FGs is better for everyone that plays them, from the competitive scene, to the casual crowd. Plus, it's less money to produce the product. Problem is: it's a hard thing to sell to people that aren't willing to think about it, since expectations for sequential leisure commodities (video games) scale. People have been conditioned by shortsighted business practices to think that more is better.

So many characters I want to attempt to maximize potential with in this game. Don't add anymore, Capcom.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Megaman will be playable in some form. There is no way that they'll let a DLC costume get in the way of that. I refuse to believe that.
Maybe, but the costume is pretty much X as close as you can go, it'd be pretty confusing to the layman seeing both Zero with the X costume and X on the screen at once, and alternatively really fucking weird if they had different models and proportions yet still being the same character.

I gave up hope the moment I started using my Hsien-Ko avatar again. I'm willing to take scraps from these guys now. I've lowered my expectations by a whole lot.
THE RETURN OF SOLARPOWERED TO MAHVELGAF? STAY TUNED.

This is for the money. If they do sell DLC characters they are likely coming from a pool of already designed characters. I refuse to believe that they'll toss us complete wild cards again if they can throw at least one mid-big name character our way.

They can't be stupid enough to toss us more sex slave Jills and Shuma's can they?
thisiscapcomdude.gif

What do you mean pool of already designed characters? I mean, this isn't Ono's team where they can shit out old characters at will. Even vets from MvC2 received substantial tweaks. If Psylocke makes it into UMvC3, I expect a massive retooling. Similar faces I can see them picking from, but I still expect them to do what they do best with making unique fighting styles for the cast and not pasting in more shotos which conveniently work with the system.

Why no more Darkstalkers? Every single one is absolutely unique in this cast. They do a far better job of distinguishing themselves from other characters at this point.

Morrigan is the undisputed Queen of lameness, Felicia is one of the top 3 strongest rushdown characters in the game and Hsien-Ko is the worst character in the game(Phoenix isn't time tested like she is :3).

All of the Darkstalkers outside of Q Bee, Demitri and Victor would add crazy ass shit to the cast too. Also, there should be enough room for a Darkstalker and Street Fighter in my hopeless world of four DLC characters followed an eight character AE upgrade.
No more Darkstalkers cause there are already 3 of them. Mix it up a bit, give other series love. We didn't need 4 RE characters and 4 SF characters would be too much already if it wasn't their premiere fighting franchise. No more Capcom franchises that already have 3+ reps. I will flip my shit if Leon S. Kennedy gets in the game or something. Marvel is a different story when it comes to interconnectedness of franchises they have, but for the most part their picks were pretty distinct too.

All this talk of DLC is just weird considering the costumes and H&H sort of fit the bill far too well when it came to "who didn't make the cut." So when you imagine more DLC characters, you don't think there would be much overlap with characters that are already referenced in the game, which is a scary thought because most fan favourites made it in with those kinds of references. I honestly don't see CapCom making it in either, he's kind of a dry design overall, would also require a massive retooling. Cable for Ver 2012 confirmed then? I would get so hype if the trailer had AHVBx5.

More =/= better. Fighting game rosters are way too bloated nowadays. The faster coming updates/patches/sequels makes things worse. We don't even get a chance to learn these games anymore. As a person with interests outside video games, it's hard for me to get as much value as I can out of all these FG releases with so many characters in each game's roster. Playing multiple games would be much more feasible if I didn't have to become familiar with 12,636,000 possible matchup permutations in each one.

Casual interests think they want a large roster - but they don't. It's just a marketing bullet on the back of the box that persuades them to make a purchase, but once they see the character select screen, it's just one of the many things about fighting games that scares them away.

IMO, less characters in FGs is better for everyone that plays them, from the competitive scene, to the casual crowd. Plus, it's less money to produce the product. Problem is: it's a hard thing to sell to people that aren't willing to think about it, since expectations for sequential leisure commodities (video games) scale.

So many characters I want to attempt to maximize potential with in this game. Don't add anymore, Capcom.
I disagree with this entirely. The wealth of permutations and creativity is essential to Marvel's charm and can only grow. And your wrong about casual interests, people love choice. A lot of people I play MvC2 with that get to the character screen are DELIGHTED with all the options, not terrified, some going as far as playing MvC3 afterwards and criticizing it for having so many fewer characters even though on average they're so well designed. More is definitely better, especially when you have such quality to work with already. Not sure about your point about more characters somehow decreasing the value of the game. It's depth, that's all it is. I can't criticize more depth as long as these characters are as well designed as the rest of the cast. Yeah the learning curve gets slightly higher but if your juggling multiple games already I'm not sure if you should be blaming the game because you don't have enough time to devote to them all. That's why I stick with Marvel, and devote my little time to it exclusively instead of acquiring in-depth knowledge about every fighting game that comes out.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier

IMO, less characters in FGs is better for everyone that plays them, from the competitive scene, to the casual crowd. Plus, it's less money to produce the product. Problem is: it's a hard thing to sell to people that aren't willing to think about it, since expectations for sequential leisure commodities (video games) scale. People have been conditioned by shortsighted business practices to think that more is better.

Yeah they should just chop it down to ten characters.

Wolverine, Wesker, Dr.Doom, Hawkeye, Nova, Zero, Dante, Virgil, Magneto, Ryu cause you gotta have him!

Oh and your opinion sucks.

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
So the guy who only legit likes one character in the entire game is also the one that doesn't want there to be any more characters added. Strange. Also, why does everything have to be a casuals vs competitives thing. I'm sure lots of tournament players would welcome extra characters and the added variety it brings, which to me is really what Marvel is about and the reason why seeing Wesker on every team is disappointing in an otherwise fairly balanced game. I love seeing all these different characters being played in tourneys.

Nyoro SF

There's no need for more characters as we have enough unused characters both online and offline as it is.

I would rather have a whole bunch of new moves added to existing characters. Variable movesets make games more fun and increases potential for better balance.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Weskers not even really THAT good. He's just one of the easiest to skill cap off with. Which is why he is more common and gives the illusion of being the most godly character EVAR HERP DERP.

A majority of people go for the easy to use and do good with characters over the equally good or better complex characters. Because of the whole larger margin of error. Of course once you get them down a lot of the cast and tier placement goes up into the air. I honestly wouldnt even put wesker in top 5. Top 10 for sure though.

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
Weskers not even really THAT good. He's just one of the easiest to skill cap off with. Which is why he is more common and gives the illusion of being the most godly character EVAR HERP DERP.

True, but that doesn't stop him from dominating the current scene.

JeTmAn81

I don't think the game needs any more characters. Or at least, I can't think of very many that would be exciting enough to justify inclusion. You'd have to pick from some pretty dusty corners of the Marvel and Capcom universes to come up with a large number of additional characters. There's so much variety in this game as it is, I'm content to enjoy what's already there.

I do think there could be some assist retooling for the existing game. We really need more OTG assists that are as good as Wesker's. The would go a long way toward reducing his ubiquity.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
There's no need for more characters as we have enough unused characters both online and offline as it is.

I would rather have a whole bunch of new moves added to existing characters. Variable movesets make games more fun and increases potential for better balance.
Variable movesets means even more balancing nightmares.

And unused characters doesn't mean people should all of a sudden pick them up just cause they're unused. People want *new* characters. If your gonna make a new moveset anyway, it may as well be for a new character that introduces something new and may interest players that did not fancy those characters that were left unused.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
I don't think the game needs any more characters. Or at least, I can't think of very many that would be exciting enough to justify inclusion. You'd have to pick from some pretty dusty corners of the Marvel and Capcom universes to come up with a large number of additional characters. There's so much variety in this game as it is, I'm content to enjoy what's already there.

Nah, I can easily think of a few characters for each side that would be completely unique and at the same time not feel like filler.

zon

True, but that doesn't stop him from dominating the current scene.

Did you watch the Japanese tournament that frieda streamed? Barely any Weskers there at all. They show it's possible to play without him
they all use vergil instead

Azure J

How fitting is it that the last page of the first Ultimate OT ends with DLC hints and character wishes? Come on X, Gene, Ryu/Nina, (Capcom Free Space), Ms. Mahvel, Juggernaut, Green Goblin & Doc Oc. :p

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
How fitting is it that the last page of the first Ultimate OT ends with DLC hints and character wishes? Come on X, Gene, Ryu/Nina, (Capcom Free Space), Ms. Mahvel, Juggernaut, Green Goblin & Doc Oc. :p
You know Azure, your the only X fanboy I'll ever tolerate :p

And Hitokage I guess to avoid myself being banned.

Sometimes I feel like this thread is on repeat.
It's almost as if.. there was some sort of.. MahvelGAF Cycle.. or something.

Frantic

Dante needs more moves. The fact they ignored the obvious staple Uppercut Move, and completely ignored a Spiral related move is a travesty! Give me three RDP moves!

Honestly, I wouldn't mind more characters, but I'm perfectly fine with what we have. More characters would just make it harder for me to pick a main team. :p

QisTopTier said:
I've always maintained the notion that the only thing Wesker is top tier at is ease of use. He is a really good character, but there are characters better than him if you put in a little more effort.

Although I'd still tweak the glasses mechanic. I'd really like it if he could throw his glasses as a projectile via taunt, and if it hits he gets the bonuses.

Azure J

At this point, I'm certain I'm just playing the role of the main X supporter around here because it's a MahvelGAF tradition in and of itself. Can't go breaking the cycles afterall. :p

Honestly, I wouldn't be surprised if nothing else happened regarding new faces and I'd still be OK with it, if just a tad bit disappointed, because this game is fucking fun and I'm picking up a new character or combination of them every other day. Now just because I said that, watch Capcom put him in and he gets Hsien-Ko'd. Would be the saddest shit ever and the idea that Hsien-Ko's my favorite Darkstalker character and the person responsible for her transition to Marvel 3's iterations should be tried for a violation of the Geneva Convention or something. That and X would make for a very unique character done right given his repertoire of shit. (*insert comment on how he puts Dante on notice here*) :p

EDIT: Frantic, you just know that the moment Dante showed anything new in a AE edition like trailer, people would be bitching endlessly everywhere on the internet. :lol

Also, Doppelganger style. Gene Jin everywhere in this bitch.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
Ruby Heart is probably the only DLC that could get me really hyped.

I've always maintained the notion that the only thing Wesker is top tier at is ease of use.
Best OTG assist.

But other than that, yeah, he's most-used because of high return on a low investment, not that he's the absolute best at any one thing.

I thought I was in WrassleGAF for a second.
KuGsj.gif

More=Better
Maybe, but the costume is pretty much X as close as you can go, it'd be pretty confusing to the layman seeing both Zero with the X costume and X on the screen at once, and alternatively really fucking weird if they had different models and proportions yet still being the same character.
I never said anything about Megaman X. I clearly said "Megaman".
THE RETURN OF SOLARPOWERED TO MAHVELGAF? STAY TUNED.
What no

First they actually have to release a DLC character that I would like.

Gene
Donovan
Captain Commando
Jin Saotome

I'd probably buy if it was one of these four and they actually feel good to play with. There won't be any chance for this game in my eyes if Skullgirls drops and Capcom never releases DLC characters.
thisiscapcomdude.gif
I know....
What do you mean pool of already designed characters? I mean, this isn't Ono's team where they can shit out old characters at will. Even vets from MvC2 received substantial tweaks. If Psylocke makes it into UMvC3, I expect a massive retooling. Similar faces I can see them picking from, but I still expect them to do what they do best with making unique fighting styles for the cast and not pasting in more shotos which conveniently work with the system.
I mean that they probably have three or four developed characters behind the scenes even if they only talk about adding two at the moment. They really need to think things through if they have a group of in house characters and a certain number of DLC slots to fill.
No more Darkstalkers cause there are already 3 of them. Mix it up a bit, give other series love. We didn't need 4 RE characters and 4 SF characters would be too much already if it wasn't their premiere fighting franchise. No more Capcom franchises that already have 3+ reps. I will flip my shit if Leon S. Kennedy gets in the game or something. Marvel is a different story when it comes to interconnectedness of franchises they have, but for the most part their picks were pretty distinct too.
Bah, each Darkstalker has far more to offer than most extra additions to the cast. I can't think of a single Capcom character that could play as gracefully as Donovan, as ruthlessly as Jedah, as beautifully as Rikuo or as cheaply as Talbain. Seriously... we are not talking about Nemesis or Ken here. These characters stand out to this day because very few characters play like them even after fifteen years worth of fighting games.

Having any one of them return(except Demitri, fuck him) would add greatly to the variety in the game. I don't mean this as a DS fan either.
All this talk of DLC is just weird considering the costumes and H&H sort of fit the bill far too well when it came to "who didn't make the cut." So when you imagine more DLC characters, you don't think there would be much overlap with characters that are already referenced in the game, which is a scary thought because most fan favourites made it in with those kinds of references. I honestly don't see CapCom making it in either, he's kind of a dry design overall, would also require a massive retooling. Cable for Ver 2012 confirmed then? I would get so hype if the trailer had AHVBx5.
My head

Who needs to be retooled? That ship sailed a while back. You'd better be talking about She Hulk and Iron Man.
DLC hasn't been talked about for months.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
Wait, you were a Ruby Heart bro too? :O
I just think her design is neat, and it'd be cool to show some love for the MvC2 originals.

Of course, if she was added to the game, she'd probably be bottom tier. My most-hyped characters for the two retail releases were Hsien-ko and Phoenix Wright, so I don't have the best luck with wish lists.

Azure J

I just think her design is neat, and it'd be cool to show some love for the MvC2 originals.

Of course, if she was added to the game, she'd probably be bottom tier. My most-hyped characters for the two retail releases were Hsien-ko and Phoenix Wright, so I don't have the best luck with wish lists.

Yeah, I see where you're coming from. It was such a weird experience to see her the first time watching my friends play MvC2 years back and go "holy shit that character is fucking awesome, what game is she from" only to hear that her only appearance was said game.

As for luck, maybe you have it better than you think. Most of the ones I liked/got hyped for wound up being solid to straight godlike. (I'm within a good margin of error for Hsien-Ko. :p)

kirblar

I actually want them to save Ruby Heart for the eventual Darkstalkers game and just go full out ghost pirate with her. Decaying flesh, etc.

One of the great things about UMvC3 is that there really aren't that many top-level balance adjustments you'd need to make in a title update. Mostly just little things. Most important thing would just be buffing the Hsien-Ko tier characters to give them a fighting chance.

ReiGun

All I ever wanted was Black Panther, but since every interview where he comes up is basically saying "Sorry. Wait for Marvel 4, maybe", all this DLC talk can just fuck right off. /salty

Solune

This list, I approve.

enzo_gt
tagged by Hitokage
MahvelGAF cycle is Hype > Whine > Salt and the train starts all over again.
Dante needs more moves. The fact they ignored the obvious staple Uppercut Move, and completely ignored a Spiral related move is a travesty! Give me three RDP moves!
Yah no Rising Dragon, no Real Impact, no Spiral, missing normals (Same as Vergil on Beowulf), no wallclimb. You can tell how even more versatile Dante would be had they incorporated more shit into his moveset.
Ruby Heart is probably the only DLC that could get me really hyped.

Not gonna lie, that vid that Dahbomb posted a while back with that random team consisting of Ruby Heart etc when Jwong played Dark Prince got me hype.

Azure J

give me megaman with dat god like zoning and of course beat plane!

QCgyk.png

Nah man, give me a Megaman that can play a good mixed game and uses Rush Jet for air dashing. Skateboarding across the screen on a robotic canine companion dropping Astro Crush on everything? Yes please.

But this doesn't concern me since I'm backing X. :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom