• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3 |OT4| Nothing Stops This Patch!

Piccoro

Gross! :p
This thread is really slowing down... :(

Of course there's not much team building discussion now that people have their teams set for the most part.

Well I've been playing this game everyday, since I bought it 3 weeks ago and it is so awesome! Everyday I learn something new. I've never dedicated so much time to an FG besides SFIV.
And I usually browse this thread for tips/trends, so don't let me down GAF!

Yea it is. There's not too much new blood anymore. It's only natural though. Since this game doesn't get many updates it's harder to get casual marvel players hyped. The game will still be played though. You will never have a hard time finding a match but this is the end of Marvel 3's cycle. I'm sticking to it until the next Capcom VS game comes out.

onionfrog

Yea it is. There's not too much new blood anymore. It's only natural though.
Yeah that's true.
The only new people I can recall recently are Ghazi and Piccoro.
...and Ghazi has disappeared lately.
Dat Dark Souls 2, I'm sure!

It's hard to believe its been over three years since Vanilla MVC3. Time flies!
Since this game doesn't get many updates it's harder to get casual marvel players hyped. The game will still be played though. You will never have a hard time finding a match but this is the end of Marvel 3's cycle. I'm sticking to it until the next Capcom VS game comes out.
I'll be sticking with it for the foreseeable future.

I guess I miss the days of people posting their teams and seeking team building advice / new tech. (Not to say that the game is figured out, it most certainly is not!)

Hopefully with Combofiend working at capcom we'll see a new versus game or spiritual successor sometime this gen.
Capcom All Stars ;_;

Nothing else really captures the same feel that Marvel 3 has.
Skullgirls is team based, but quite different in many ways.
AE is a lot of fun but it doesn't scratch the same itch. That being said, I am excited for USF4.

Oh wow that's interesting!

Dahbomb

Of course there's not much team building discussion now that people have their teams set for the most part.
I have slowed down since we did the theory patch. That took a ton out of me. Until Beef's tournament started up, I hadn't touched the game since December (no joke). While I enjoy the game, I think I have come to the point where I am ready to move on. I will still play casually, but the netcode, combined with some BS teams, limits my motivation.

It also hurts me that my ideal teams are all impossible for various silly design decisions (or glitches). Dormammu/Morrigan/Phoenix fails because of the extremely stupid XFC TAC glitch, which is so annoying that it can make me ragequit the game for weeks if it happens to me. Firebrand/Dormammu/Shuma-Gorath means I have to use Shuma-Gorath, who doesn't even have a goddamn consistent bnb. Sentinel is pure trash, so I can't use him on any teams; Hard Drive on incoming isn't even that valuable in the present meta. Dormammu has no good assist options, so he MUST be paired with two good assists to make the team function against snapbacks.

I used to look for that perfect team, and I think I've gotten to the point where I have to accept it does not exist for me. The teams I use are okay, but not great. They have flaws. The funny thing is that slight balance adjustments to any one of these characters could fix the entire problem.

Still, the netcode is extremely bothersome. It's a horrible scar across all Capcom titles, and I sincerely hope they prioritize it this next generation. I appreciate that they tried something new with SFxT, though last I heard there were mixed reactions to it. I wish Capcom would go back to 2D designs or figure out how to work GGPO into 3D games, because Skullgirls has incredible, offline-feeling netcode in most of my matches. It really is amazing.

I have a good year of fighting games to look forward to: Smash U, GGXrd, and SSFIVU are coming out. BBCP and P4U would be purchase-worthy if they made some changes (BBCP needs a character I like - it's impressive that the roster is reasonably large but no one is interesting to me; P4U needs to make Elizabeth worth picking). I will still play UMvC3 occasionally so long as I use my PS3, which I plan to keep around at least until PS+ stops giving me new stuff to play on it.

We must hold on to that belief.
CAS either never existed or got canned. Truthfact.

onionfrog

I have slowed down since we did the theory patch. That took a ton out of me. Until Beef's tournament started up, I hadn't touched the game since December (no joke). While I enjoy the game, I think I have come to the point where I am ready to move on. I will still play casually, but the netcode, combined with some BS teams, limits my motivation.
I kinda feel the same way. I've definitely been playing less and less lately. I mostly just mess around with miscellaneous teams and improve my skills with characters I don't normally use.

Still, the netcode is extremely bothersome. It's a horrible scar across all Capcom titles, and I sincerely hope they prioritize it this next generation. I appreciate that they tried something new with SFxT, though last I heard there were mixed reactions to it. I wish Capcom would go back to 2D designs or figure out how to work GGPO into 3D games, because Skullgirls has incredible, offline-feeling netcode in most of my matches. It really is amazing.
God I wish the netcode was better!
Game consoles shouldn't allow people to play online via wireless, wired connection only! That shit is ass. It only makes Marvel's netcode that much worse.

I have a good year of fighting games to look forward to: Smash U, GGXrd, and SSFIVU are coming out. BBCP and P4U would be purchase-worthy if they made some changes (BBCP needs a character I like - it's impressive that the roster is reasonably large but no one is interesting to me; P4U needs to make Elizabeth worth picking). I will still play UMvC3 occasionally so long as I use my PS3, which I plan to keep around at least until PS+ stops giving me new stuff to play on it.
I'm excited for the same three games that you are. USF4 in particular. I'm skeptical that Xrd will actually come out on consoles this year tho.

I don't want to believe!
I suppose we'll see if capcom is working on any new fighting games at E3. I'd be excited for any fighting game they're working on. It doesn't even need to be Marvel-like.

I kinda feel the same way. I've definitely been playing less and less lately. I mostly just mess around with miscellaneous teams and improve my skills with characters I don't normally use.
If I practice anything, it's unblockable setups and Shuma-Gorath combos...lol.

God I wish the netcode was better!
Game consoles shouldn't allow people to play online via wireless, wired connection only! That shit is ass. It only makes Marvel's netcode that much worse.
There really should be a filter option for that.

I'm excited for the same three games that you are. USF4 in particular. I'm skeptical that Xrd will actually come out on consoles this year tho.
I think Xrd will come out, and it will have another character or two. Also, Big Band will be released for Skullgirls in a month or so, and I will definitely try him out with Painwheel. If I can drop Double finally, I will play that game more.

I don't want to believe!
I suppose we'll see if capcom is working on any new fighting games at E3. I'd be excited for any fighting game they're working on. It doesn't even need to be Marvel-like.
Believe!

And I feel toward Capcom and fighting games the same way I feel about Square and RPGs. No more needs to be said on that, I imagine.

Frantic

I still love this game. As far as tech goes, there's still tons and tons of stuff to discover. I love seeing how deep the rabbit hole can go by trying out new things in training mode. I still find and discover new things. Don't play against people as much online, just cuz the lag is getting more and more noticeable as my offline execution improves.

Marz

You guys don't have faith in Capcom making fighting games anymore?

Last gen they released 4 new titles:

SF4, TvC, MvC3, SFxT....with 3 of those being really good.

They also released HD remakes with online for a lot of their classic fighters.

They did alright by me.

Dahbomb

There's no perfect team in the game except MAYBE Morrigan/Doom/Vergil which is the best team in the game.

Teams should not be perfect or air tight... otherwise they would be hard to beat/counter pick against.

That said there is no excuse for the abundance of glitches in the game, terrible netcode and huge balance issues.

They will make new fighting games for sure and they definitely did alright this gen. WAY better than how SE has managed their RPGs.

They just aren't going to make CAS or MVC4 or a UMVC3 patch.

It's only natural that over time UMvC3 will get less play. I've never thought man gotta put away Marvel because I want to play something else. It's a nice side, once in awhile game. Sure I won't play it as feverishly as I once had, especially with Next Gen here but it's always there to play when ever I feel like. Sometimes I even play my Vita version and just mess around in the training room while watching TV during commercials.

I never knew that it was talked about by Capcom. I just assumed it was a natural evolution of the series. Double so if Capcom doesn't want to be licensed down by a series like Marvel.

Last gen they released 4 new titles:

SF4, TvC, MvC3, SFxT....with 3 of those being really good.

They also released HD remakes with online for a lot of their classic fighters.

They did alright by me.
They're shifting priorities. That's all I meant. I can't count on them for my content.

It's only natural that over time UMvC3 will get less play. I've never thought man gotta put away Marvel because I want to play something else. It's a nice side, once in awhile game. Sure I won't play it as feverishly as I once had, especially with Next Gen here but it's always there to play when ever I feel like. Sometimes I even play my Vita version and just mess around in the training room while watching TV during commercials.

I never knew that it was talked about by Capcom. I just assumed it was a natural evolution of the series. Double so if Capcom doesn't want to be licensed down by a series like Marvel.
I can't imagine playing on the Vita. I need the stick!

TWILT

Banned
Still love the game here (and plan to keep on playing it). It's probably my most played game this gen. I still have my fair share of problems with the game (TACs, Zero, Dark Vergil, Hidden Missiles, etc.), but man, do I still have a blast playing it. It's super fun pulling off killing combos, there's a certain rush I get about getting the first hit that isn't in any other game, and it's fun to experiment with the huge variety of character in the game (still messing around with my Spidey team; want to maybe pick back up my Chris team again). It helps that Dante (forever on all my teams) is the most fun character I've had in any other fighting game, so yeah. :p

Marvel 3 is the game that truly made me love fighting games again. Stuff like P4A and DoA5 were fun, SF4 I can respect as a game (though it's not really my thing), but there's no other game I've truly loved (besides maybe Super Smash Bros Melee) that I've spent so much time on.

Really hope that Capcom All Stars is still a thing; would be there day 1.

Dahbomb

We are actually getting closer to the theoretical potential of some of the characters. Apologyman has been pushing Firebrand every time I see him and managed to win a major in a stacked bracket.

Full Schedule is pushing Viper to the limit and has made other Viper players take notice.

Hell even FChamp has pushed Magneto to his limits and continues to do so. Not to mention Cloud with his Dante.

Epic Fail finally played what a good Thor is supposed to play like. It's too bad he lacks the experience and the skill of the top players to take the character all the way.

I honestly can't imagine what this game would've been if it got as many updates as SF4. SF4 had 4 updates to MVC3's 1 update. Probably would've out lived MVC2.

Ghazi

Yeah that's true.
The only new people I can recall recently are Ghazi and Piccoro.
...and Ghazi has disappeared lately.
Dat Dark Souls 2, I'm sure!

It's hard to believe its been over three years since Vanilla MVC3. Time flies!

I'll be sticking with it for the foreseeable future.

Combination of little time, money (to go to the arcade), and honestly a lack of effort. I realized at some point that I expected myself to lose every match I played and since then I barely cared about learning new things or trying to win. At the time winning was the exception for me, not the rule. And that's my fault, I tend to give up easily on a lot of things if they don't go my way fast enough. And Dark Souls 2 (and soon to be, Final Fantasy X HD) :)

I've been on a long hiatus, but I want to give Street Fighter a try. I played Marvel too much to be at the point I'm at now, which I feel isn't good enough. I want to try starting from scratch again eventually.

Amazing game, but maybe not for me. Like I said, Marvel was my first, and I had no idea what I was doing. Hopefully I can apply what I learned from it to other games, playing Marvel was a huge lesson in humility to me, and I'm happy I played it.

Dahbomb

After you survive MVC3 nothing is going to see BS anymore. And then you will face palm yourself for getting hit by Chun Li's overhead in SF4 despite it being slower than most mix ups in MVC3.

Ghazi

After you survive MVC3 nothing is going to see BS anymore. And then you will face palm yourself for getting hit by Chun Li's overhead in SF4 despite it being slower than most mix ups in MVC3.

It's funny you say that, because Chun Li is probably exactly who I'm going to be maining, with Ryu.

tumblr_lwobmpkPmB1r6aoq4o1_400.gif

onionfrog

Combination of little time, money (to go to the arcade), and honestly a lack of effort. I realized at some point that I expected myself to lose every match I played and since then I barely cared about learning new things or trying to win. At the time winning was the exception for me, not the rule. And that's my fault, I tend to give up easily on a lot of things if they don't go my way fast enough. And Dark Souls 2 (and soon to be, Final Fantasy X HD) :)
That's understandable. I don't have any fun if I'm losing all the time either.
I'm still waiting for the PC version of Dark Souls 2 before I jump in. Plus I've still gotta beat Dark Souls.
I've been on a long hiatus, but I want to give Street Fighter a try. I played Marvel too much to be at the point I'm at now, which I feel isn't good enough. I want to try starting from scratch again eventually.
Well, If you ever want to play Street Fighter 4 on PC or PS3 let me know. I'm pretty bad at it myself.
I'm dabbling with Gouken, Rose and Sakura.

Amazing game, but maybe not for me. Like I said, Marvel was my first, and I had no idea what I was doing. Hopefully I can apply what I learned from it to other games, playing Marvel was a huge lesson in humility to me, and I'm happy I played it.
It'd be a better game if they had patched it. :/
Vergil/Missiles is supremely stupid.

Vice

Marvel is like that for a lot of players. It's a test in patience. I have AE for everything and I'm learning new character all the time so just add me if you want to play

I honestly can't imagine what this game would've been if it got as many updates as SF4. SF4 had 4 updates to MVC3's 1 update. Probably would've out lived MVC2.
Marvel 3 will live for a long time. People picked up MvC2 after is had been mastered and got to high levels of play.

Dahbomb

I don't deny that MVC3 will live for a long time. Hell it will at a bare minimum live through 4 EVOs which is something that many fighting games have not done. Especially in the non dark age era.

JeTmAn81

I'm still into Marvel, though I definitely feel like I have plateaued skill-wise. I also feel like my execution has gotten to the point where most of the stuff I want to do is way too difficult in lag and most of the time when I lost online I don't know if it's because the other guy just beat me or because I couldn't make it work with the lag. I'm not playing as much as I used to, but I think I will always have it to fall back on. Lately I've gotten a lot more interested in Street Fighter as well. Dat Akuma.

Zissou

I still play marvel as much as I ever have (a ton!), but I have people to play against locally on a regular basis, so I thankfully don't have to deal with the netcode. I have no plans to stop, but I'm working on picking up Xrd as a secondary game. Getting into it is suuuuuuuper rough though, since tons of the people you play against have been playing GG for 10+ years, and that experience carries forward to Xrd much more than SF2/3 familiarity carried forward to SF4.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
I also have no idea why I can't wavedash for shit with Felicia. It's like her timing is different.
You're not accidentally getting meter charge, are you?

After you survive MVC3 nothing is going to see BS anymore.
The first fighting game I learned and played at what I would say was a high level was Bleach DS (Japanese version specifically, which is an important distinction).

Kenpachi had an invincible tracking teleport with no start-up or recovery or meter cost, and it could be instantly and repeatedly used by mashing a shortcut button on the touch screen. Your opponent could not hit you out of it unless your timing was just really bad, and if he tried to throw you out of it, he'd get caught in a whiff animation for a free and easy punish. Combine this with other special/super moves that could literally extend the reach of Kenpachi's normals to full-screen and allow him to chain them together in any order (such as from heavy to light), and there was no earthly reason why he should ever lose.

Nothing I've seen outside of MUGEN hackjobs has been more broken than that.

You're not accidentally getting meter charge, are you?

The first fighting game I learned and played at what I would say was a high level was Bleach DS (Japanese version specifically, which is an important distinction).

Kenpachi had an invincible tracking teleport with no start-up or recovery or meter cost, and it could be instantly and repeatedly used by mashing a shortcut button on the touch screen. Your opponent could not hit you out of it unless your timing was just really bad, and if he tried to throw you out of it, he'd get caught in a whiff animation for a free and easy punish. Combine this with other special/super moves that could literally extend the reach of Kenpachi's normals to full-screen and allow him to chain them together in any order (such as from heavy to light), and there was no earthly reason why he should ever lose.

Nothing I've seen outside of MUGEN hackjobs has been more broken than that.
Ivan Ooze?

GG's Twilt. Can't pull my head out my ass tonight though. Dropping everything, and can't execute anything. Too much Titanfall in my blood.

Those Spider-Man matches were fun though.

TWILT

Banned
GGs Mango Sentinel. Ugh, my play gets far too reckless/sloppy if I play for too long x_x. Dark Souls 2 has been consuming too much of my practice time too haha.

Yeah, Spidey dittos were fun.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
A more indepth version of my old Spiral Swords XFC punish video. Figured things out since then, and I know what does and doesn't work(for the most part). I actually have done this a few times in matches, so yeah. Learn it and keep it in the back of your mind.
I'm trying to get consistent while practicing this against XF3. It's tough to do with anything but 1-frame throws, and the spacing isn't always practical.

It's really interesting, though. I need to track down someone with a Vita and get them to look at the hitboxes for all of his moves while swords are active.

Frantic

I'm trying to get consistent while practicing this against XF3. It's tough to do with anything but 1-frame throws, and the spacing isn't always practical.

It's really interesting, though. I need to track down someone with a Vita and get them to look at the hitboxes for all of his moves while swords are active.
Spiral Swords is a super interesting super from a technical perspective. There's a lot of subtle nuances to it that have yet to be explored as far as its activity goes. I know for a fact there's a way to time Spiral Sword's active frames so you can crossup during a teleport(I've had it done on me by chance a few times, and it SUCKS). Really wish hitbox viewer wasn't tied to Vita, as I'd do some super serious research into it. I'm kinda nutty when it comes to this stuff. I'm already thinking of testing whether I can map out Dimensional Slash by, like, using H&H's armor cards and using Gimlet to track Vergil's position at various spots. Haven't done any actual testing, but I've been tossing the idea around in my head, at least.

Seeing some of the comments(in various places) about the video is pretty funny, though. Some people still don't seem to know that Spiral Swords aren't active when Vergil is blocking.

Spiral Swords is a super interesting super from a technical perspective. There's a lot of subtle nuances to it that have yet to be explored as far as its activity goes. I know for a fact there's a way to time Spiral Sword's active frames so you can crossup during a teleport(I've had it done on me by chance a few times, and it SUCKS). Really wish hitbox viewer wasn't tied to Vita, as I'd do some super serious research into it. I'm kinda nutty when it comes to this stuff. I'm already thinking of testing whether I can map out Dimensional Slash by, like, using H&H's armor cards and using Gimlet to track Vergil's position at various spots. Haven't done any actual testing, but I've been tossing the idea around in my head, at least.

Seeing some of the comments(in various places) about the video is pretty funny, though. Some people still don't seem to know that Spiral Swords aren't active when Vergil is blocking.
Fun fact: if Firebrand releases his swoop in reaction to Hawkeye's Gimlet, Firebrand will dodge it if Hawkeye is on incoming.

I have yet to use H&H's at all, but I never considered using it to test things like that.....probably because I still don't know what H&H's consist of. But you should totally do it. I love Marvel science.

Sigmaah

Gonna try Zero/Missiles/Jam for a bit, YAY FOR SUPERIOR TOP TIER TEAM!

Yo Zissou, that hidden missile Dante tech is so fucking fun to hit omfg!!!

Dahbomb

I am always wary about testing stuff in H&H because it's a buggy as fuck mode.

The main example being Zero losing soft knockdown on Buster when he uses some combination of cards.

It's still useful for theory crafting or "man I wonder how strong this character would be if he had an air dash or a double jump".

Zissou

Wouldn't it be easier to track Vergil's movement patterns by picking him in training mode and x-factoring at various points during dimension slash?

Top Bottom