• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ultimate NES Remix 3DS/WiiU

LaserHawk

I played the 3DS version of this game a lot over the holiday week. I had been really disappointed in the WiiU version, pretty much because I felt a noticeable control lag while using the gamepad to play it. I realized it when I found I couldn't skim along the tops of the green pipes in 1-1 of Super Mario Bros. (yet I could easily do it on my NES system). But the 3DS version lacks the lag and ended up being a really fun experience.

But now, thanks to the WiiU version, I'm extremely paranoid about my WiiU. How many other games have I been getting lag on? Is my Mario Kart 8 playing not as good as it could be? Am I getting the same lag when I play Smash Bros with a Pro controller? It has me wondering.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
I played the 3DS version of this game a lot over the holiday week. I had been really disappointed in the WiiU version, pretty much because I felt a noticeable control lag while using the gamepad to play it. I realized it when I found I couldn't skim along the tops of the green pipes in 1-1 of Super Mario Bros. (yet I could easily do it on my NES system). But the 3DS version lacks the lag and ended up being a really fun experience.

But now, thanks to the WiiU version, I'm extremely paranoid about my WiiU. How many other games have I been getting lag on? Is my Mario Kart 8 playing not as good as it could be? Am I getting the same lag when I play Smash Bros with a Pro controller? It has me wondering.
Several emulation-based games seem to be really sketchy on Wii U when it comes to input lag. I made a thread about it some time ago right after I bought my first Virtual Console game because I could tell something was off pretty quickly. For some reason, the NES and SNES Virtual Console has extra lag on the Gamepad that native Wii U games don't, and that's in addition to whatever lag is inherent to the emulation itself. It's really bad. NES Remix was even worse in that regard, on the Gamepad or otherwise. Native Wii U games seem to be okay, or at least that would vary on a game by game basis; it's not inherent to the hardware itself.

LaserHawk

Several emulation-based games seem to be really sketchy on Wii U when it comes to input lag. I made a thread about it some time ago right after I bought my first Virtual Console game because I could tell something was off pretty quickly. For some reason, the NES and SNES Virtual Console has extra lag on the Gamepad that native Wii U games don't, and that's in addition to whatever lag is inherent to the emulation itself. It's really bad. NES Remix was even worse in that regard, on the Gamepad or otherwise. Native Wii U games seem to be okay, or at least that would vary on a game by game basis; it's not inherent to the hardware itself.

Thank goodness! I love my WiiU. It's nice to know the Gamepad is fine in most cases.

Fox Mulder

just bought this and couldnt find the club nintendo slips or manual. Then I see theres a digital manual and the club nintendo code is printed on the back of the cover art.

ffs..

but I saw the amazing disc art first so it was cool.

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace

I didnt know this, but had tons of trouble getting anywhere in Punch Out because it felt laggy. Could that be the reason?

Shiggy

I got 500 stars in the 3DS version now. Neat game, but somewhat overpriced. Speed Mario isn't any fun for me.

Wish the game was like the 3D Classics. Not featuring any 3D effects is kind of cheap.

Wasn't there something about the difficulty in separating sprite from the background in many of the NES games, hence why we've had so few on 3DS.

Since this is basically the OT...

Is there any way to unlock the Famicom Remix mode in Ultimate NES Remix other than grinding for coins? As far as I can tell you need nearly all the coins in the game, but I really don't want to play Kid Icarus at all.

It'd be nice if I could just import a save but I don't think that's possible on 3DS (outside of hacking, and I want to keep my eshop console clean).

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Does
pressing START+SELECT+A+R at the game select screen
unlock it? I think that unlocks everything except for Remix II & Bonus, but I don't know if it'd unlock Famicom Remix as well.

Also, I just realized with Club Nintendo shutting down this month, after March 31st, you can't register the physical copy of the game & get the Famicom theme for the 3DS. Dang, was really hoping to get it, but I was gonna wait for a sale since I have both on Wii U digital.

Does
pressing START+SELECT+A+R at the game select screen
unlock it? I think that unlocks everything except for Remix II & Bonus, but I don't know if it'd unlock Famicom Remix as well.

Doesn't seem to work. I already have everything unlocked, except bonus stages and Famicom Remix.

Brizzo24

Vol. I > Vol. 2

And I started by playing Volume 2. I just find the games in Vol. to be better?! I'm enjoying them more.

Shiggy

Almost done with getting three stars on all challenges. Stuck on the 10 lives SMB challenge.

On a different note, were there framerate issues in the original Kirby Dreamland and Metroid or is it just an issue with these ports?

I'm actually quite happy how far video games have come. The way that Metroid and Kid I cards or even Zelda 2 control are plain awful. Mario Bros and DK are even worse.

Almost done with getting three stars on all challenges. Stuck on the 10 lives SMB challenge.

On a different note, were there framerate issues in the original Kirby Dreamland and Metroid or is it just an issue with these ports?

I'm actually quite happy how far video games have come. The way that Metroid and Kid I cards or even Zelda 2 control are plain awful. Mario Bros and DK are even worse.
There were some awful slowdown issues but I don't remember framerate issues in the original or in 3DS NES Remix.

Shiggy

There were some awful slowdown issues but I don't remember framerate issues in the original or in 3DS NES Remix.

In the 3DS version I got some slowdown in Metroid when I shot rockets in a section with plenty of enemies which I wasn't supposed to attack.

In a Dreamland GB stage I got slowdown when there were three or four enemies on screen, that was kinda random.

Tom_Cody

I've been on a bit of a retro/VC kick recently so I decided to revisit this title. I had bought it a few months ago but it had been sitting on my 3DS while I focused on other games. I'm really having a blast! It's a shame that so many people wrote this off as a lazy port or whatever. I love the concept. Playing chopped-up versions of these old games in a time attack framework feels great.

My one complaint is that this package doesn't contain all of the content. I had played through most of the first NES Remix right when it launched, but I personally think the series is better suited to portable. But now I'll have to go back to the Wii U versions if I want to experience everything. Oh well.

Tom_Cody

Playing the Kirby's Adventure levels has given me so much more respect for that game and that series. I had always just written it off as being too simplistic and easy, but playing it in time attack form has shown me how high the skill ceiling is.

I didn't really get it until I noticed that the top times were roughly half of my best times! Watching those replays really opened my eyes. Trying to approach those times has been extremely gratifying.

Have Kirby games ever featured time attack or challenge modes? I am suddenly very eager to play though the series.

I've been on a bit of a retro/VC kick recently so I decided to revisit this title. I had bought it a few months ago but it had been sitting on my 3DS while I focused on other games. I'm really having a blast! It's a shame that so many people wrote this off as a lazy port or whatever. I love the concept. Playing chopped-up versions of these old games in a time attack framework feels great.

My one complaint is that this package doesn't contain all of the content. I had played through most of the first NES Remix right when it launched, but I personally think the series is better suited to portable. But now I'll have to go back to the Wii U versions if I want to experience everything. Oh well.

Playing the Kirby's Adventure levels has given me so much more respect for that game and that series. I had always just written it off as being too simplistic and easy, but playing it in time attack form has shown me how high the skill ceiling is.

I didn't really get it until I noticed that the top times were roughly half of my best times! Watching those replays really opened my eyes. Trying to approach those times has been extremely gratifying.

Have Kirby games ever featured time attack or challenge modes? I am suddenly very eager to play though the series.

I ended up buying both 3DS and WiiU versions. WiiU for when I'm at home, 3DS when I'm out.

They are an amazing first try, probably my favorite WiiU and 3DS games.

I would like to see a continuation with more of a game show competition group mode. Like if NES Remix, Nintendoland, and Gamecenter CX got smooshed together structurally, but keeping all the NES challenges and games.

I remember when the first trailers came out I was thinking it was a lazy cash-in, but playing is believing. This game is a blast.
Also, ditto to the Kirby's Adventure speed runs. Amazing hidden depth!

Top Bottom