• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ultra Bomba: Major Australian Retailers Dropping Vita

Diablos

Is it true that Aussie Target has no relation to US Target other than the name? If so, what a coincidence that is. Kmart too.

Hey Vita, your really adopted and I found your long lost parents!!

saturn-system.jpg

vb.jpg

Poor Virtual Boy didn't make it to Australia at all. More like:

M7Ozk.jpg

and

O51lZ.jpg

Target and KMart have done some great deals over the years on software. Certainly worth the competition to keep JB and EB on their toes. GAME was run out of the area a while back so online is the only option they give me.

It's got to be great to be EBGames Australia or an independent games store owner right now.

lol!

:(

Kerrby

Banned
As posted in the other thread, it looks like JB isn't selling the 16GB card anymore.

So if your option with them is 4GB or 8GB.

Luigiv

Is it true that Aussie Target has no relation to US Target other than the name? If so, what a coincidence that is. Kmart too.

Yes, neither Target or Kmart Australia have anything to do with their US counterparts, beyond having licenced the name a long time ago. They're both own by Wesfarmers which is an Australian company.

Diablos

Yes, neither Target or Kmart Australia have anything to do with their US counterparts, beyond having licenced the name a long time ago. They're both own by Wesfarmers which is an Australian company.

Why did they license the name from the US, then? Why not come up with something original if the rest of the store has nothing to do with the names?

VOOK

We don't know why he keeps buying PAL, either.
My full story will be up on Kotaku AU tomorrow, we've sent a 'please explain' to Sony AU as well.

Oh and like Nintendo, Sony is setup so Sony Australia get their pricing off the European pricing. Dumb as shit, but that's the way its done.

So anyone want to phone around and get a real reason on why this is happening?

Done so, full story tomorrow.

Ironically enough, had no trouble stocking the 3DS at the same price 11 months ago. Guess Nintendo had a better standing with them.

The 3DS did terrible outside the launch week in Australia, it's possible they don't want to get burned again and left with a ton of stock like they did with the 3DS. Especially when the PSP didn't exactly light the sales fire here in Australia.

Yes, for example the nintendo have had trouble with retailers over the years due to trading terms (I'm sure each blame each other), leading to launch troubles with the wii. It did ok.

My only interest will be to see if the whole 'digital' thing has played a part here. Companies like EB obviously have to suck it up and deal with Sony on a console like this. I wouldn't be surprised if big w et al wanted some heavy restrictions on digital releases to stock games on their shelves. If they did, and Sony said no, I can only support them (until I see the Australian PSN vita prices, which I'm sure will be diabolical).

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Yes, for example the nintendo have had trouble with retailers over the years due to trading terms (I'm sure each blame each other), leading to launch troubles with the wii. It did ok.

One week ahead of its launch ? I found it hard to believe that Nintendo had a hard time getting retailers to order their new hyped console in the holiday season. But if its the stand process in Australia i guess there is no need to worry.

Jesus, what the hell Australia? This isn't good if it's as serious as it sounds. I hope they come round and stock the system soon - if not at launch then as soon as possible after it.

joshwaan

Im getting one from ebgames hope I get it hehe. I think Sony think this will be as bad every ones making it out to be ;-)

Seagoon

Has there been many preorders for the Vita? I personally have no desire to get one, seems clunky to carry around a dedicated portable device when my smartphone covers the small amount of gaming I do on the go.

Ydahs

Is Harvey Norman stocking it? Went to a store last week and there was no sign of it at all.

I did manage to pick up Motorstorm Apocalypse for $24 though. Surprisingly cheap.

Has there been many preorders for the Vita? I personally have no desire to get one, seems clunky to carry around a dedicated portable device when my smartphone covers the small amount of gaming I do on the go.

I have never bought a portable for carrying around. It is perfect for playing on the couch when the tv is in use (by me or others) or taking on holiday etc. For me the Vita looks perfect for this use. The Ipad/iphone covers everything else (sorry 3ds).

mclem

I wonder if it's because of the 10% discount when you buy digitally?

How does that work, anyway? That is... are there regional shops (with regional pricing), or is there one central shop with selectable currencies? And is it 10% off relative to local prices, therefore, or relative to the US DD price?

4 chains, or four stores?

4 chains. The ones listed in this story have also indicated they "want to sell it" which typically means when Sony bends over.

How does that work, anyway? That is... are there regional shops (with regional pricing), or is there one central shop with selectable currencies? And is it 10% off relative to local prices, therefore, or relative to the US DD price?

It will be local prices. So what they do is inflate the price to local rrp, and then take 10% off. Generally works out to a little less then double what the rest of the world pays. This pricing is supposed to be because retailers refuse to stock it on the shelves unless Sony gimp the online pricing so as not to compete.

To be honest I don't care if only one shop in Australia sells it if it means sane online prices.

Which was great. $10 Resident evil games? Hell yeah!

Twas! picked up RE remake for $8 and F-Zero GX for a massive $20 within 2 months of it coming out. Good times.

Also kept a sort of elitism between my gaming mates who had one.

EDIT(for thread relevancy): Same thing probably will happen to Vita. Just might be a little worse off because of a lack of original games and instead being much like the PSP was getting down ports. No wonder Sony's credit rating went down recently...

Top Bottom