• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UN and NATO to Gaddafi: Operation Odyssey Dawn |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dyno said:
That ICC charge against Gaddafi, along with the delployment of attack helicopters, indicates that a special forces team might try to swoop in and snatch the Libyan leader. Seeing how successful the Osama raid was I bet there are a lot of brass who think similar tactics could solve this problem.
Osama was in charge of a house and had a courier and his cousin to guard him. Gaddafi is in control of a city and is surrounded by an army.

XtremeRampage

Neo Member
Meus Renaissance said:
What are its strong and weak points [argument-wise]
No argument from me. The whole thing is encapsulated with hoaxes and propaganda (from all sides, although RT is just as outrageous as Fox News) that it's difficult to discern reality from fantasy.

Anyway, just imagine if Gadaffi was never a Soviet/Russian ally and on the same boot with Mubarak, would the gold dinar story ever emerge?

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Russia Today is propaganda. They have billboards here in Montreal advertising as "RT" rather than as "Russia Today" that ask if global warming is bogus with a picture of a grey-alien. Why is Russia today advertising on huge billboards in Montreal? Never saw an advert for CNN or Fox News here. It's a propaganda effort.

Ether_Snake said:
Russia Today is propaganda. They have billboards here in Montreal advertising as "RT" rather than as "Russia Today" that ask if global warming is bogus with a picture of a grey-alien. Why is Russia today advertising on huge billboards in Montreal? Never saw an advert for CNN or Fox News here. It's a propaganda effort.

Yeah, Russia Today get's cited on GAF a surprisingly large amount.

Manos: The Hans of Fate said:
Yeah, Russia Today get's cited on GAF a surprisingly large amount.

When Russia intervened in South Ossetia/Georgia a few years back, the tone of it's reporting, not showing anything or airing any opinions that might paint Russia in a bad way, was a pretty telling sign.

Guerrillas in the Mist said:
When Russia intervened in South Ossetia/Georgia a few years back, the tone of it's reporting, not showing anything or airing any opinions that might paint Russia in a bad way, was a pretty telling sign.

I know it's pretty odd that it doesn't seem to be common knowledge around here.

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
Breaking news on the BBC is 6 explosions have been heard in Tripoli, with Gaddafi's compound believed to be the target.

DECK'ARD said:
Breaking news on the BBC is 6 explosions have been heard in Tripoli, with Gaddafi's compound believed to be the target.
Highly doubt if Gaddafi is still living in the compound. He's more likely in an undisclosed location, an underground bunker somewhere in the mountains I bet.

RustyNails said:
Highly doubt if Gaddafi is still living in the compound. He's more likely in an undisclosed location, an underground bunker somewhere in the mountains I bet.

Actually, I've read he's been chilling in hospitals recently at least that's what the BBC or Guardian was saying.

Manos: The Hans of Fate said:
Actually, I've read he's been chilling in hospitals recently at least that's what the BBC or Guardian was saying.
Wouldn't put it past him at this point. Did you hear, he's also hiding his grad rockets and artillery in historical sites like the roman ruins? What's troubling is that NATO says it has no problem targeting those sites if it means protecting civilians.

goomba

Banned
Ether_Snake said:

LOL you has the red scare.

lo escondido

Apartheid is, in fact, not institutional racism
XtremeRampage said:
Berber language (Amazigh). Apparently the language was banned under Daffy's rule.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jgZTkY52FJU

The alphabets remind me of those alphabets found in "UFO wreckage"...
One thing about this whole revolt is just how happy people seem when not under gadaffi.

The world will be a better place when these half billion people living in the middle east are truly free and can contribute freely to the global community and not held back by these backwards dictators.

lo escondido said:
One thing about this whole revolt is just how happy people seem when not under gadaffi.

The world will be a better place when these half billion people living in the middle east are truly free and can contribute freely to the global community and not held back by these backwards dictators.
Yeah, like when every woman is forced to wear a hijab and sharia law will be introduced, rite?
I'm not saying that gadaffi is a likeable guy, but that the insurgents are not automatically nice people because they oppose someone who is demonized in us media.

lo escondido

Apartheid is, in fact, not institutional racism
Ahoi-Brause said:
Yeah, like when every woman is forced to wear a hijab and sharia law will be introduced, rite?
I'm not saying that gadaffi is a likeable guy, but that the insurgents are not automatically nice people because they oppose someone who is demonized in us media.

Huh? I didn't said everyone was good I said they are happy and finally get to contribute the world on their terms.

Watch those videos, do you really think these rebels are those that want sharia in everything
Have you read the Transnational Council's statements? They're no Muslim brotherhood. Where do you get the statement that if the rebels win they are going to implement mandatory hijab? And did you really just marginalize gadaffi's evilness by just saying is just "a guy demonized in the media?" they guy is murdering his own people.

xbhaskarx

leroidys said:
MINIMUM WAGE EFFECTS ACROSS STATE BORDERS: ESTIMATES USING CONTIGUOUS COUNTIES

This is actually sort of interesting... but not very relevant.

Libyan rebels advance towards Tripoli: spokesman

Libyan rebels south of Tripoli have advanced to within about 80 km (50 miles) of the capital and are fighting government troops for control of the town of Bir al-Ghanam, a rebel spokesman told Reuters on Monday.

"We are on the southern and western outskirts of Bir al-Ghanam," Juma Ibrahim, a rebel spokesman in the nearby town of Zintan, said by telephone.

"There were battles there most of yesterday. Some of our fighters were martyred and they (government forces) also suffered casualties and we captured equipment and vehicles. It's quiet there today and the rebels are still in their positions," he said.

leroidys

God damnit, that link was still in my clipboard. Sorry guys. Good thing theres not a ton of people on right now.

heres the link I meant to post http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-13921665

The steam browser sucks for pasting links (and bolding)

BBC said:
Libya: Fierce fighting south-west of Tripoli

The rebels told a BBC correspondent they were on their way to Tripoli

A rebel spokesman in the Nafusa mountains said there had been heavy fighting on the outskirts of the strategic town of Bir al-Ghanam.

The rebels told the BBC they were making a push for Tripoli.

Meanwhile the International Criminal Court is to decide whether to issue an arrest warrant for Col Gaddafi.

A decision by a three-judge panel is expected at 1100 GMT. The ICC's chief prosecutor has also requested arrest warrants for Col Gaddafi's son, Saif al-Islam, and the head of Libyan intelligence, Abdullah Senussi.

The warrants are for alleged crimes against humanity committed against opponents of the regime.

The international military operation in Libya entered its 100th day on Monday, with the rebels still struggling to take advantage of coalition air strikes on Col Gaddafi's infrastructure.

The Libyan news agency reported fresh strikes on Tripoli overnight.

What we're learning from defectors is Gaddafi's inner circle is getting smaller by the day”

Jalal al-Dgheli
Rebel defence minister
In pictures: Bombs litter streets
Nato's man against Gaddafi
Guma el-Gamaty, a spokesman for the rebels' National Transitional Council (NTC), told AP news agency that Bir al-Ghanam - the focus of the latest fighting - was important as it was barely 30km (18 miles) south of Zawiya, a western gateway to Tripoli.

Opposition fighters seized Zawiya in March before government troops drove the rebels out of the oil-refinery city. Fighting again broke out there this month.

The BBC's Mark Doyle, who is in the village of Bir Ayad near Bir al-Ghanam, says Sunday's fighting began when government forces tried to cut off the rebels by attacking from behind.

Clashes continued in the distance, where the boom of artillery, the rattle of automatic gunfire and the occasional rumble of Nato jets could be heard, he says.

A medic said two rebels had died in the battle. The rebels said government forces suffered far greater casualties, although that cannot be confirmed.

The rebels came down into the plains from the Nafusa mountains in early June, adds our correspondent. But they have met strong resistance from Col Gaddafi's forces.

He says that although it is a shifting front line, the rebels appear to be gradually consolidating their position in the mountains.

"We are on the southern and western outskirts of Bir al-Ghanam. There were battles there most of yesterday," a rebel spokesman in nearby Zintan, Juma Ibrahim, told Reuters, adding that they had captured some government equipment and vehicles.

He said it was quieter now but that the rebels were "still in their positions".

The minister of defence for Libya's rebels, Jalal al-Dgheli, told the BBC that because their weapons were so limited, most of them were focused on the push from the western mountains towards Tripoli.

But in the near future there could be an advance from the east near Brega towards Tripoli, he told the BBC's Bridget Kendall in the rebel stronghold of Benghazi.

"What we're learning from defectors is that Gaddafi's supporters are getting fewer, people who are close to him are abandoning him, and his inner circle is getting smaller by the day."

He added that he hoped Col Gaddafi could be gone by the Muslim holy month of Ramadan, in August, but our correspondent said this could be wishful thinking.

'Election proposal'
The Libyan government on Sunday meanwhile reportedly renewed its offer for a vote on whether Col Gaddafi should stay in power.

Gaddafi spokesman Moussa Ibrahim was quoted as telling reporters in Tripoli that the government was proposing a period of national dialogue and an election overseen by the UN and African Union.

A Libyan woman fires at a graduation ceremony after a weapons training course in Tripoli
"If the Libyan people decide Gaddafi should leave he will leave," Mr Ibrahim was quoted by Reuters news agency as saying. "If the people decide he should stay he will stay."

But he said Col Gaddafi - who has run the oil-producing country since a military coup in 1969 - would not go into exile.

The idea of holding an election was first raised earlier this month by Saif al-Islam Gaddafi.

Since then Italy has called for a political settlement to the conflict, following a Nato strike in Tripoli on 19 June that killed several civilians.

Meanwhile, Tunisia's Tap state news agency reported that three Libyan government ministers, including the Foreign Minister Abdelati Obeidi, were in Tunisia for talks with "several foreign parties".

The agency gave no further details about what the negotiations involved.

In a separate development, African leaders meeting in Pretoria said Col Gaddafi has agreed to stay out of talks aimed at ending the conflict.

In a communique after talks on Sunday, the African Union panel on Libya said it welcomed "Col Gaddafi's acceptance of not being part of the negotiations process".

The statement did not elaborate.

XtremeRampage said:
Guess what? RT interviewed NATO secretary general about Libya! LOL...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sADFbLo3PRk
Yes. Thank you for this. I subscribe to both AJE and RT at youtube and I've been monitoring what RT has been uploading on Syria and Libya. In a full weeks worth of uploads, RT has given substantial coverage to Libya and opponents of the NATO intervention there. In stark contrast to that, there is little coverage of the crackdown in Syria (remember, this is a huge story...10k refugees in Turkey, over a thousand in Lebanon, around 1300 activists dead)..and the few mentions of Syria frequently involve interviewees espousing vehement opposition to the mere PROSPECT of Western intervention in that country and barely any criticism of the ACTUAL crackdown being carried out by the Syrian government. In a full weeks worth of youtube uploads, RT has one video related to the Syrian crackdown and over a half dozen videos explicitly criticizing NATO's actions in Libya. (interestingly, considerably less criticism is directed toward's Gadaffi's deliberate attacks on civilians in Misurata and elsewhere)

In stark contrast to that, AJE (it must be said, AJE simply uploads alot more youtube content than RT) is covering the Syrian crackdown with daily uploads.
edit:...I mean, jesus fuck, one of RT's uploads on Syria is called:
"'Hidden agenda in Syria to show itself after Bilderberg meeting"
and surprise, surprise, it's an interview with some anti-war, anti-NATO ranter sitting in Argentina.

Absolutely hilarious report from BBC. This is just too awesome for a professional news agency. Please read the entire article because I don't wanna bold the funny bits.

Three days of farce in Gaddafi's Libya
_53880845_angrya.jpg

More than 700km (435 miles) is a long way to go on a maybe.

But, up until this week, none of the foreign journalists locked up in our five-star gilded cage in Tripoli had been offered a chance to see Col Muammar Gaddafi's loyal fighters up close on the front lines.

So it was that my cameraman and I found ourselves piling aboard a white minibus and heading out into the sweltering heat of the Libyan desert.

Libya is an enormous land, and virtually empty. It took most of one day, and a good chunk of the next, to get there. For hour after hour we saw nothing but sand, scrub and the occasional group of scraggy camels.

But we all remained excited by the prospect ahead, a real encounter with the men still prepared to fight and die for the Libyan leader.

Imagine our surprise then when, hot and exhausted, mid-way through day two, we drew up next to a destroyed mobile phone tower 30km outside the little coastal town of Brega.

The mangled mass of steel lay prostrate beside the road, the control room shattered and burned.

"This," our guide told us, "was destroyed by a Nato bomb last week. Five workers were killed and a family in a passing car."

Evasive minders

We all piled out and dutifully took pictures, but several of us were already starting to feel deep unease. Surely they had not dragged us all this way across Libya on a lie?

"When are we going to see the military?" one of my colleagues from the US media asked.

Ismail, our foreign ministry minder, looked evasive and my heart sank further.

We drove on down the road a few more kilometres before pulling off on to an airfield. Beside it stood the shattered remains of a huge hangar.

None of our minders was quite sure when this had been destroyed by Nato. But they were very sure it was a violation of the UN Security Council Resolution 1973.

A couple of kilometres further on we arrived at the Brega oil terminal, a sprawling industrial complex next to the turquoise Mediterranean Sea.

A welcoming committee, familiar to all journalists working in Libya, was waiting for us. They waved pictures of Col Gaddafi, green flags and chanted "Libya, Gaddafi, Libya, Gaddafi!".

By now, it was becoming rapidly clear that our minders had no intention of taking us anywhere near anything even vaguely military.

Instead, we were shown the remains of a destroyed house, once the home, we were told, of the family of an oil worker.

"These were innocent people asleep in their beds when Nato killed them," a local official shouted angrily. "Why is Nato killing innocent people?"

But there was something not quite right about the bomb site. Clearly, a house had been destroyed. But, sitting in the rubble, was something very odd - it was an ejection seat from a Russian-built fighter jet.

"What is this?" we asked an oil company official.

"It is a motor for a boat," he said with complete confidence. "Many of the people here in the oil company have boats to go fishing in the sea."

I took a note of the Russian markings on the side to look up later. As I thought, it was a Zvezda K-36 ejection seat used in many front-line Russian-built fighter aircraft. But what on earth was it doing in the middle of an alleged Nato bombing site?

And there were more anomalies.

In the dirt next to the house I found dozens of spent cartridges. They were from large 20mm rounds - the sort used in anti-aircraft guns. Was an anti-aircraft gun parked next to the house that had been hit?

Familiar faces

Around the corner we were shown another bomb site. But here the rubble had already been cleared.

"This was the site of a madrassa - 12 people were killed here while they were studying the Holy Koran," the irate official told us.

"They were studying the Koran in the middle of the night?" we asked.

"Yes," we were told emphatically.

"Can you take us to the graveyard to see where they are buried?" we asked.

"No, their bodies have all been taken to Tripoli," the official blurted, now looking somewhat less confident.

Disappointment was now turning to anger. We had been dragged more than 700km across the desert to see yet another propaganda display, and a pretty poor one at that.

"If you won't take us to see the military at least take us to Brega town to meet some real locals," we demanded.

After some negotiation, this was agreed. We piled back on to the bus and headed off. But, as the bus reached the main road, instead of turning left to Brega, it turned right back towards Tripoli.

"What is going on?" we demanded.

"First, we are going to have lunch," our minders insisted. "Then we go to Brega."

Some 20 minutes down the road, we entered another small town. As we drew up, a large group of people came dashing towards the bus. They were holding up more pictures of Col Gaddafi and chanting. Several of the faces were strangely familiar. Then I realised they were exactly the same people we had seen back at the oil terminal.

It was the final straw. Our anger exploded. One of my American colleagues who speaks good Arabic screamed at them.

"Enough of this! It's a farce!"

And that is how our trip to the front line in Brega ended - in anger and recrimination. We drove the 10 hours back to Tripoli in virtual silence, our minders unhappy at the task they had been assigned, us journalists angry at being tricked into taking part in a three-day farce.

Lagspike_exe said:
RT is the Russian side of the story. Anyone who believes RT is biased and any major western press or TV station isn't is a hypocrit.
I dont mind bias, what I do mind is misinforming viewers about the severity of the crackdown in Syria. Watching RT, you wouldnt know the repression is as severe as it is, that Amnesty International is calling for the Assad regime to be referred to the ICC for crimes against humanity. In RT's world, nothing distinguishes the Syrian crackdown from the crackdowns in Yemen or Bahrain, even though the situation in Syria is considerably worse.

theignoramus said:
I dont mind bias, what I do mind is misinforming viewers about the severity of the crackdown in Syria. Watching RT, you wouldnt know the repression is as severe as it is, that Amnesty International is calling for the Assad regime to be referred to the ICC for crimes against humanity. In RT's world, nothing distinguishes the Syrian crackdown from the crackdowns in Yemen or Bahrain, even though the situation in Syria is considerably worse.

Syria is a Russian ally, so it's natural that bias influences their reporting.

I really don't think they're worst in any way from American spinning about Saudi Arabia, Bahrain, Israel etc.

tHoMNZ

The russians report more truth than the propaganda outlets in the US and europe.

P.S. End the undeclared wars, get the fuck out of Libya.

xbhaskarx

But, sitting in the rubble, was something very odd - it was an ejection seat from a Russian-built fighter jet.

"What is this?" we asked an oil company official.

"It is a motor for a boat," he said with complete confidence. "Many of the people here in the oil company have boats to go fishing in the sea."

I took a note of the Russian markings on the side to look up later. As I thought, it was a Zvezda K-36 ejection seat used in many front-line Russian-built fighter aircraft.

How is it possible to even claim that an ejection seat is a motor for a boat? In what ways are those two things even remotely similar?

tHoMNZ

xbhaskarx said:

No LOL at you.

The US is the one engaged in illegal immoral wars. Bombing pakistan/yemen where the president sees fit, like some emperor. Fuck off. Scum of the earth.

Instead of ousting dictators abroad, why you get off your fat apathetic asses and oust the dictator at home.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
tHoMNZ said:
No LOL at you.

The US is the one engaged in illegal immoral wars. Bombing pakistan/yemen where the president sees fit, like some emperor. Fuck off. Scum of the earth.

Instead of ousting dictators abroad, why you get off your fat apathetic asses and oust the dictator at home.

STFU

You need some manners on GAF.

Xeke

Banned
tHoMNZ said:
No LOL at you.

Wow.

xbhaskarx

tHoMNZ said:
No LOL at you.

1. The US bombs terrorist targets in Pakistan and Yemen with the consent (and even encouragement) of the Pakistani and Yemeni governments.

2. The US President was democratically elected in 2008 in a contested election that was carried out in accordance with the US Constitution, he will face an election in 2012. Gaddafi came to power in a coup and has ruled Libya for decades with no checks on his power and no mechanism for Libyan citizens to replace him.

3. LOL LOOOL

tHoMNZ

xbhaskarx said:
1. The US bombs terrorist targets in Pakistan and Yemen with the consent (and even encouragement) of the Pakistani and Yemeni governments.

2. The US President was democratically elected in 2008 in a contested election that was carried out in accordance with the US Constitution, he will face an election in 2012. Gaddafi came to power in a coup and has ruled Libya for decades with no checks on his power and no mechanism for Libyan citizens to replace him.

3. LOL LOOOL

Your so called democratically elected president started a war without congressional consent. Manners? No time for manners when this shit is happening under your ignorant noses.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eON9K0DNso8

Obama supporters were rightfully calling for Bush's head, but i guess its ok when you're the one doing the killing.

xbhaskarx

What does "Your so called democratically elected president" mean? What about his election is in dispute?

Your video is of drone strikes in Pakistan, which again, are carried out with the consent of the Pakistani government. And how many Pakistani children are killed by the regular bombings various militant groups are responsible for throughout the country, where is the video for that?

1. The strikes only occur in Pakistani government approved "boxes" (link) almost exclusively in Waziristan, by the Af-Pak border (link).

2. The ratio of militant to civilian deaths (link) probably compares favorably to other aerial bombing campaigns.

3. "Army chief wanted more drone support" (link)

4. Regarding Obama supporters and Bush, during his election campaign Obama actually said he would act against terrorist targets in Pakistan (link):
Obama said if elected in November 2008 he would be willing to attack inside Pakistan with or without approval from the Pakistani government, a move that would likely cause anxiety in the already troubled region.
"If we have actionable intelligence about high-value terrorist targets and President Musharraf won't act, we will," Obama said.

And Bush actually criticized Obama for it: "The only foreign policy thing I remember he said was he's going to attack Pakistan and embrace Ahmadinejad." (link)

---

If you have a problem with US drone strikes, take it up with General Kayani.
Of course none of this has any relevance to the current situation in Libya so please keep on topic and don't post any more stupidity for me to disprove...

tHoMNZ

No what i meant was he was apparently elected "in accordance with the US Constitution,"

The Libya war for example. He has not asked congress for war approval. This is unconstitutional and grounds for impeachment. Funny how Clinton will get impeached for waving his dick around, while Obama can launch illegal wars. For a 'democratically elected president' he sure acts like a warmongering tyrant.

So who are these militants in Pakistan huh? Have they attacked the United States? Oh wait, the United States attacked Afghanistan, and they're pissed. Of course, wouldn't you be? So how is it legitimate to carry out drone attacks on these guys? Who cares if some General allows it to happen, The United States shouldn't be doing it in the first place. I know you look at those dead children and think, oh look, collateral damage. I see them, and i think, dead kids, killed by a drone controlled by a coward not even man enough to risk his life while taking the lives of others.

Oh 10:1 ratio for civilian to Militant deaths. GREAT SUCCESS GUYS

http://www.brookings.edu/opinions/2009/0714_targeted_killings_byman.aspx?p=1

So lets get on topic then huh.

Bombing a country is an act of war
Libya is a war
Obama has not seeked congressional war approval.
Instead he gets his power from the UN
Nice sovereignty you've got there

You're living in a fantasy world. War = Peace. Killing = good.

xbhaskarx

The US government has been involved in military conflicts without a formal declaration of war since the Barbary Wars started in 1800. The US has only formally declared war five times, with the most recent being WW2.

tHoMNZ said:
So who are these militants in Pakistan huh? Have they attacked the United States? Oh wait, the United States attacked Afghanistan, and they're pissed. Of course, wouldn't you be? So how is it legitimate to carry out drone attacks on these guys?

This is amazing... So a bunch of militants were just minding their own business in Pakistan with no ill will towards the US, and then from out of nowhere the US attacked Afghanistan. When you put it like that yeah of course they're angry....

tHoMNZ said:
killed by a drone controlled by a coward not even man enough to risk his life while taking the lives of others.

Yeah hijacking planes and flying them into buildings and detonating explosives strapped to your chest are far braver. Bin Laden personally did both those things all the time I'm sure....

Gaborn

xbhaskarx said:
The US government has been involved in military conflicts without a formal declaration of war since the Barbary Wars started in 1800. The US has only formally declared war five times, with the most recent being WW2.

And how often have they done so without congressional authorization 4 months in?

xbhaskarx

Gaborn said:
And how often have they done so without congressional authorization 4 months in?

What is the legal significance of "4 months in" or is that just an arbitrary number?

I did a search and found this:
NYTimes: Attack Renews Debate Over Congressional Consent
The question of whether presidents may initiate war has been disputed since 1950, when President Harry S. Truman went to war in Korea without going to Congress. Truman said it was enough that the United Nations Security Council, new at the time, had granted permission. That claim was disputed, but it became a precedent. Subsequent presidents added more such precedents.

President Lyndon B. Johnson cited the Congressional Tonkin Gulf resolution, which expressed support for defending American interests in Southeast Asia, as authorizing the Vietnam War. Lawmakers later repealed it, but President Richard M. Nixon said he could keep the war going.

In 1973, lawmakers enacted the War Powers Resolution, which directed presidents to get Congressional authorization to send troops into hostilities except in an emergency; in that case troops must be withdrawn after 60 or 90 days unless Congress gave retroactive approval.

Still, presidents continued to send the military into action without prior Congressional approval — both with United Nations authorization, as when George Bush intervened in Somalia in 1992, and without it, as when Bill Clinton ordered the bombing in Kosovo in 1999.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom