• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted 4: A Thief's End - The story behind the biggest game of the year

Uncharted 4: A Thief's End - The story behind the biggest game of the year

Everything was Uncharted. You’ll have seen the jokes, no doubt – the ones that pointed out how many games at E3 2012 seemed to be based on an external interpretation of the Naughty Dog design document. That show brought a host of linear games built on tightly scripted spectacle, sacrificing player agency for the whims of a stubborn author. The complaint was aimed at other developers, at an industry in thrall to the cookie cutter, but it stung Naughty Dog by extension as well. Many of those games have since turned out to be nothing like Uncharted. At December’s PlayStation Experience (PSX) event, filmed live in Vegas and streamed around the world, Naughty Dog suggested Uncharted 4 wasn’t, in the E3 2012 pejorative sense of the term, very Uncharted either. Over the course of a day inside the Santa Monica studio, we are shown the proof of it. Within half an hour, game director Bruce Straley has summed it up perfectly. “There’s no one golden path,” he tells us. “It’s not just as simple as pushing forward on the stick all the time.”

It’s a telling line. Straley is explaining Uncharted 4’s expanded traversal and climbing system, but it’s a valid summation of what we’ve seen of the game as a whole. More to the point, it shows the studio is keenly aware of the criticism – often overstated, but not entirely unfounded – of the way it has historically made its games. ‘Just pushing forward on the stick’? It’s what other people say about the Uncharteds, and the games that have followed in their wake. “I don’t really consider what other people are saying,” Straley says. “But when you do read it, in falls into alignment with what you’re already thinking as a player and developer. It reinforces what you’re already considering doing.”

Creative director Neil Druckmann backs Straley up: “We’re evolving as developers. We have different sensibilities in what we’re attracted to in games, and what we want to play. If we were making Uncharted 2 today, it would probably be a very different game.”

Druckmann was a mere lead designer on Uncharted 2: Among Thieves, the creative director’s chair instead filled by Amy Hennig, who left in still-unspecified, but seemingly acrimonious circumstances early last year. Any hope of getting clarification on that is shut down almost as soon as we walk into the studio, the prospect not so much taken off the table as set on fire and thrown out the window, and the table with it. But her departure, and that of series’ design lead Richard Lemarchand, has presented Straley and Druckmann with a fresh start. As has the move to a new generation of consoles, PS4’s power allowing perhaps the most technically capable studio on the planet today to stretch itself even further. Straley and Druckmann have matured as developers, and taken Naughty Dog as a whole along with them. The studio’s method of making games has evolved, and Drake has had to change in kind.

As Straley suggests early on in our visit, the climbing system was the logical starting point. Ever since Nathan Drake first reached for a glimmering handhold in 2007’s Uncharted: Drake’s Fortune, this series’ climbing systems have been exercises in linearity, in following a single, obvious path to the next combat scene or set-piece. The PSX demo, and the extended version we’re shown at the studio, do a poor job of conveying just how much that has changed. At a glance, Drake’s clambering seems to be the same as ever, a semi-automated journey between conveniently placed and similarly coloured ledges and handholds. There are new tools, but the 2014 Nathan Drake’s piton mimics the 2013 Lara Croft’s climbing axe right down to the look of the surfaces on which it can be used, while the grapple rope can only be attached to preordained points marked with a button prompt. When Drake misjudges a jump and nearly falls, saved only by the tips of his fingers, it is hard to resist a roll of the eyes.

At the studio, Straley plays through the sequence again, stopping periodically to explain exactly what we’re looking at. He takes a totally different route. Uncharted’s climbing has been drastically overhauled, its PS3-era animation system scrapped and rebuilt to allow full analogue movement through 360 degrees using real body physics. ‘Slip events’, as Straley calls them, are not mapped to individual parts of scenery but triggered by the angle and distance of Drake’s jump, as well as the type of handhold. Smaller, less stable ones will break more easily; if they do, you’ll need to take another route. Where Croft’s axe was little more than a different animation for the trip along the critical path, here the piton is designed to empower freedom. Those grapple points may be fixed, but they’re multipurpose – you can swing, as Straley did at PSX, but also abseil, climb, or run along and around cliff faces. Uncharted’s most linear system has become remarkably freeform. Instead of pushing up on the stick, you’re solving a puzzle. It’s not about finding the start of the path and sticking to it, but forging your own.

The same applies to combat. Here, too, are moments that whiff of the cinematics designer’s hand – though it’s hard to complain when you’ve just swung across a gap on a rope, let go, smacked a goon in the face on your way down, grabbed his rifle out of the air and started shooting at the next poor fool in your way – but the improvements are immediately apparent. There’s the enemy AI, which has been afforded a similar traversal moveset to Drake’s, enabling opponents to jump gaps and clamber up ledges in pursuit of their quarry, a true generational leap from the days when foes would spawn behind cover and stay there. Break line of sight – by crouching into the dense, reactive foliage, perhaps, or dropping yourself off a ledge – and enemies won’t return to their preset patrol routes, but stay in place or seek you out, communicating all the while. Uncharted 4’s combat isn’t just about shooting, but a blend of stealth, traversal, melee and gunplay set in a vast, vertical space full of opportunities. Suddenly, a series once famed for its linearity feels uncommonly like a sandbox.

Yet this has not been a sudden change. It is the evolution of a process that began in Uncharted 2: Among Thieves, when Drake gained the ability to fire a gun from any traversal state. Straley says it’s about “building up mechanics that you can use again and again, that scale properly. For me, it’s all about systems, about boiling down the essence of the systems so you can properly layer them. It empowers the player to toy around.” He recalls a level from a former Naughty Dog game, 2003’s Jak II, in which the protagonist rode a rocket. Straley died a dozen times working out the mechanics, and many more times working his way through the level. “Then I never saw that rocket again for the rest of a 40-hour experience. I didn’t like the design process in Jak II; it didn’t feel like there were really systems. It was the first time I got angry about our own development internally.” It is sometimes easy to forget that Naughty Dog existed before Uncharted. It has been in business for 30 years, 25 under its current name, and has been learning all the while.

Much much more here

edit.:

You guys are throwing too much of a fit over a headline. Quit it.

stryke

No wonder I was feeling deja vu. It's from Edge last month. I had no idea they were affiliated with Gamesradar.

Gries

Very interesting article. But do we really think Uncharted 4 will be the best selling, most critically acclaimed game of the year ?

GnawtyDog

Banned
Not subscribed to EDGE so, nice read.

Very interesting article. But do we really think Uncharted 4 will be the best selling, most critically acclaimed game of the year ?

The biggest game of the year doesn't necessarily mean the best selling, but most anticipated per say. At the end of the day, the Fall game that comes out with the strongest GOTY acclaim is usually the biggest game of the year - those holiday months generate a lot of buzz.

Bruce Straley has directed two games, one sits at 96 and the other sits on 95 on Metacritic. Both decimated every other game in terms of GotY wins the year of their release.

shwimpy

Bruce Straley has directed two games, one sits at 96 and the other sits on 95 on Metacritic. Both decimated every other game in terms of GotY wins the year of their release.
TLoU has a lower metacritic score than Uncharted 2 thanks to Polygon? Heh...

Frillen

Very interesting! I have high hopes for this game.

The title of the article though? Biggest game? I highly doubt it's going to be the best selling game of 2015. It's probably not even going to be in the top 5 (top10?).

Alienous

Sounds like Uncharted.

Druckmann was a mere lead designer on Uncharted 2: Among Thieves, the creative director’s chair instead filled by Amy Hennig, who left in still-unspecified, but seemingly acrimonious circumstances early last year. Any hope of getting clarification on that is shut down almost as soon as we walk into the studio, the prospect not so much taken off the table as set on fire and thrown out the window, and the table with it. But her departure, and that of series’ design lead Richard Lemarchand, has presented Straley and Druckmann with a fresh start. As has the move to a new generation of consoles, PS4’s power allowing perhaps the most technically capable studio on the planet today to stretch itself even further. Straley and Druckmann have matured as developers, and taken Naughty Dog as a whole along with them. The studio’s method of making games has evolved, and Drake has had to change in kind.

There's a story here. I wonder if we'll ever know what happened?

GnawtyDog

Banned

The title of the article though? Biggest game? I highly doubt it's going to be the best selling game of 2015. It's probably not even going to be in the top 5 (top10?).

Top 10? No way. Top 5 Yes.

Betty

Banned
It's going to be great, but unless they somehow top the globe trotting, skyscraper scaling, train riding/derailing and war zone hit locations of 2, I don't see it coming close to being the biggest.

Koh

Pretty interesting. I like the opening up of gameplay avenues, but I'm also wary that they might go too far. Uncharted was fantastic as a linear game.

It's not going to do COD #'s, but it will sell plenty.

hawk2025

Yes, as far as numbers per platform goes.

It won't beat CoD, of cours. But for the first time it has a shot at beating Halo.

Javin98

Banned
Definitely my most anticipated game this year. December just can't come soon enough! Everything we saw in the PSX demo looks like a generational leap for the series. Here's to hoping the Straley & Druckmann duo creates yet another GOTY.

bombshell

Biggest does not have to mean sales.

Pretty interesting. I like the opening up of gameplay avenues, but I'm also wary that they might go too far. Uncharted was fantastic as a linear game.

They aren't going open world or anything. They're just building off of what they started to do in TLoU where they'd give you multiple routes to an objective instead of always steering you in a specific direction.

Fezzan

Unconfirmed Member

No way it will be the best selling, but it looks like it will be the most critically acclaimed game of the year

Betty

Banned
Biggest does not have to mean sales.

Very true, but even on it's own merits I don't feel it'll top things like Arkham Knight, Witcher 3, No Man's Sky MGSV, Zelda, Xenoblade or Persona 5.

It's still going to hopefully be awesome though.

GeoGonzo

Still reading through this fairly interesting article. It absolutely is the biggest PS4 game of the year for me.

Huh... a quote fix that isn't trying to humorously twist an opinion to keep it in line with the one held by the fixer. This doesn't happen much on the internet.

Javin98

Banned
I clicked the link expecting a little info on the visual fidelity and left satisfied, though most of them are already widely known. I found the part about tessellated water interesting though.

bombshell

So by what measure can one say it will be the "biggest" game of the year?

I don't know, I'm just saying biggest have more than one meaning.

Going by the GAF anticipation thread it has the biggest anticipation this year.

Biggest critical hit?
Biggest space needed on your HDD? :p

KKRT00

" There’s the enemy AI, which has been afforded a similar traversal moveset to Drake’s, enabling opponents to jump gaps and clamber up ledges in pursuit of their quarry, a true generational leap from the days when foes would spawn behind cover and stay there."
Really dont understand quote. This make only sense if You are comparing to COD like campaigns.

Zolbrod

I think a PS4 exclusive is not very likely to be the best-selling game of the year, purely because other major franchises like CoD and Assassin's Creed are multiplat and will most likely sell more copies in total.

Most critically acclaimed?
Hmmm, maybe?

If we're purely talking highest Metacritic/Gamerankings average, I expect Zelda Wii U and Xenoblade X to do very well too, possibly even better.

With the stuff they showed off in the gameplay demo, it would be a gargantuan fumble if UC4 is not easily the best UC game so far. If executed properly, the focus on the kind of level progression and combat dynamics they've been talking about, alongside fleshing out Drake's equipment, can only make the experience better.

Interesting article indeed. Although, the "biggest game of the year" is totally arguable. I can think of like a lot of games that are more anticipated such as Metal Gear Solid V, Zelda, The Witcher 3, Arkham Knight, Persona 5 or Xeno X.

Back on the article, I love what they're doing with the vertical settings. Very too few games are doing it and a lot feels like you only have a unique layer.
It gives, IMO, a better feeling of your game, like expending your possibilities or the size of your world, just by being able to reach new heights. I loved that in Assassin's Creed series, and I'm really anticipating it for Uncharted 4, even if it's done in a different way.

GnawtyDog

Banned

Well, you could make a list to make your case - I can make mine.

1. COD
2. Star Wars Battlefront
3.BF:Hardline
4. Metal Gear Solid V
5.Uncharted 4
6. Halo 5
7. Batman Arkham Knight
8. Witcher 3

(3-5 months allowed after release of course)

Castef

Banned
When I read the title I instanstly knew it was Edge. :D They are so predictabile since a pair of years... ;)

bombshell

Interesting article indeed. Although, the "biggest game of the year" is totally arguable. I can think of like a lot of games that are more anticipated such as Metal Gear Solid V, Zelda, The Witcher 3, Arkham Knight, Persona 5 or Xeno X.

Back on the article, I love what they're doing with the vertical settings. Very too few games are doing it and a lot feels like you only have a unique layer.
It gives, IMO, a better feeling of your game, like expending your possibilities or the size of your world, just by being able to reach new heights. I loved that in Assassin's Creed series, and I'm really anticipating it for Uncharted 4, even if it's done in a different way.

More anticipated by you maybe, but not by GAF: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=967454

stryke

1. COD
2. Star Wars Battlefront
4. Metal Gear Solid V
5.Uncharted 4
6. Halo 5
7. Batman Arkham Knight
8. Witcher 3

Assassin's Creed would knock it out of Top 5.

GnawtyDog

Banned
Assassin's Creed would knock it out of Top 5.

How much did Unity did?
---------------------------------------------

For many studios, story is a secondary concern. Writers are brought on board late into development and tasked with fitting a narrative around a game that it is too far along to even consider changing. Yet for Naughty Dog, it is the first order of business. “I’m a big advocate of narrative structure, and that’s something we haven’t always done at the studio,” Druckmann says. “It’s very important that we know where we’re heading; even if it changes, you have to know the beginning, middle and end. Without that, I wouldn’t know how to direct a team. We have become more conscious of, more proficient at, storytelling. Whatever meeting we’re having – even if it’s background or character artists – we’re speaking the same language. We’re speaking as storytellers.”

We can put this to rest I think. People harping at the Order devs saying practically the same thing. It's all about how you execute at the end of the day.

bombshell

So Gaf is the metric by which games will be judged as biggest game of the year? I thought Edge was making that proclamation, or is Edge making that proclamation on behalf of Gaf? I'm confused.

Please point out where I said anything about why Edge calls it the biggest game.

GnawtyDog

Banned
So Gaf is the metric by which games will be judged as biggest game of the year? I thought Edge was making that proclamation, or is Edge making that proclamation on behalf of Gaf? I'm confused.

Either or, the proclamation is not isolated which is the point.

Truth to be told, he got a point as I don't have that right either.

1. COD
2. Star Wars Battlefront
4. Metal Gear Solid V
5.Uncharted 4
6. Halo 5
7. Batman Arkham Knight
8. Witcher 3

You said UC4 isn't going to make top 10, but will make top 5. That doesn't make sense. So, he fixed that statement.

GnawtyDog

Banned
You said UC4 isn't going to make top 10, but will make top 5. That doesn't make sense. So, he fixed it.

No, meaning, the game falls below Top 5 into Top 10 territory 6-10. That was my read anyway. I could be wrong if he meant otherwise, but if he did, why include Top 10 with quotation marks, instead of just Top 5.

Top Bottom