• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted 4 has ND's best opening sequence in Arne Meyer's opinion

We see a person climbing the walls of a well like structure into the sunlight

crowd below yells

Daeshi Daeshi Basara basara

The person climbs to the top and reveals himself to be Sam

Nate is waiting for him and says 'you know Sam, we really are the last of us'

and then kicks him back into the well screaming this is sparta

Quoting for underrated post. Though I think it would be better without that last line.

arne

Oh shit Arne is on Gaf? How did I miss that Bro I sent you a friend request on PSN like 5 months ago...

what's your PSN? you can PM me. I (obvs) get a lot of friend requests and don't accept many unless they clearly say who they are or I know them. None of this "Hi, my name is xx123randoPSNnamexx25 and we're Close Friends." Tell me your handle and where from (Venom Fox on gaf) or your actual name. :)

arne

I am sorry about creating the thread then :/

I guess making a thread about a casual talk you had and your personal opinion wasnt a great idea. It made it look like PR for some people, which I absolutely disagree though. I thought it was nice to have someone from inside the studio to be so confident in the game to outright say it is better (in his-eeeer, your opinion) than TLOUs intro. You had no reason to say that and create gigantic expectations if it wasnt your genuine feeling. It just got me excited and then I thought it was thread worthy lol. Sorry again!

Don't worry about it! You're certainly not responsible for anyone trying to pick apart my thoughts. Besides, I kind of ask for it by talking about our game in public or to journalists.

Not really, I never stated an objection, but you made a statement, not an opinion... Get your facts right before replying.

You don't have to state an objection for it to be an objection. Your reply was the objection. Just like I don't have to use "imo" for it to be my opinion. It just is.

That's great to hear. By saying its the best opening since TLOU, I'm assuming he means to say that its as good as or better than TLOU.

But the openings of the Uncharted series have never been a problem. They've always been excellent. The issue has traditionally been the endings (namely, the final boss battles/escape sequences). Uncharted 3 was probably the best in this department, but I still found it a little uninspired coming from ND.

But the openings of the Uncharted series have never been a problem. They've always been excellent. The issue has traditionally been the endings (namely, the final boss battles/escape sequences). Uncharted 3 was probably the best in this department, but I still found it a little uninspired coming from ND.
What do you think of my Drake Bandicoot ending?

I'm sorry. I'm so so sorry...

iKpsnDk.jpg

Hazelhurst

Not to be too negative, but to be fair this isn't too hard a bar to pass.

The stealth sequence at the start of UC2 was the lowpoint of the game, the young Drake stuff at the start of UC3 was boring and the Last of Us didn't really come into its own until you were about three hours in after Bill's Town.

Naughty Dog make fantastic games, but they've never been particularly strong at starting the things.

I couldn't disagree more.

There's no way ND will surpass the opening to The Last of Us. 30 minutes into that game and your gut is churning.

There's no way.

No way at all.

IS THIS GAME OUT YET OH MY GOD THE HYPE

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Maybe Arne can touch on this... but is there any 'ho hum' or dissenting feeling at Naughty Dog about Golden Abyss?

It seems that whenever Uncharted is talked about, it is almost purposely left out of talks (not I know they did not work not it, but I think there is more to it than that), or when they say something about another studio taking on Uncharted after them, they never lead to GA as 'an example'.

zkorejo

People keep saying TLOU has the best opening sequence, TLOU was emotional sure but tbh, nothing comes close to Uncharted 2's opening sequence. One of the best opening sequence of all the games I have played.

The whole scene starting from Nate sitting on a train and snowflakes falling in a weird direction, then the camera angles spin to the correct angle to make you realize what was happening. The climb and then the flashback to the planning of the heist.

It was all so amazingly done. If U4 is half as good as that, I will consider it great.

People keep saying TLOU has the best opening sequence, TLOU was emotional sure but tbh, nothing comes close to Uncharted 2's opening sequence. One of the best opening sequence of all the games I have played.

The whole scene starting from Nate sitting on a train and snowflakes falling in a weird direction, then the camera angles spin to the correct angle to make you realize what was happening. The climb and then the flashback to the planning of the heist.

It was all so amazingly done. If U4 is half as good as that, I will consider it great.

I think both are fantastic for very different reasons.

The Last of Us was emotional, but Uncharted 2 was definitely amazing.

nib95

Banned
The Last of Us, Uncharted 2, Bioshock, Half Life and Mass Effect 2 all have incredible, memorable openings, but the best for me overall is God of War 3's. Having said that, I'm super pumped ND is on to yet another potential top tier opener. Can't wait to see what they have in store!

Unless the opening
kills off another little girl with my daughter's name
, I'm not sure it could have the same emotional impact.

But I'm eager to see what they have.

I think it's a bit of hyperbole; I played the whole "Intro" bit already and it doesn't flow quite as strongly as the two you mentioned, although it had an absolutely killer opening and closer.

Shin-chan

I thought the start was the best of all the games if we just include the part before chapter 1.

Like, you expect it's
just a guy driving a jeep in a storm or something and then holy shit they're on the ocean and holy shit I'm driving it.
It was the most exciting intro ND has done, although I do love TLoU as well.

U4 doesn't wipe the arse of the opening of TLOU. Not much ever will, probably.

The opening of U4 is cool, but it doesn't stand out to me as a particularly amazing opener. There's dozens of better moments throughout the game.

U2's intro was better, I think.

What do we consider the opening? If it's just that first 5-10 minutes part, I thought it was pretty crummy actually. If it's the entire prologue, then it's awesome and certainly rivals TLOU (though falls short IMO).

Javin98

Banned
Loved the opening, the part where
Rafe killed the guard
was particularly pretty tense. However, on the whole, I would say that The Last Of Us had a better opening. Like others said, the problem is we knew that
Sam was alive.

Taker34

Banned
Loved the opening, the part where (spoiler) was particularly pretty tense.
Yup, I loved that part because it was unexpected and kinda changed the story, which I have thought would become rather predictable. Personally I'd say it's just as good or better than what TLoU delivered - simply because the latter didn't leave that much of an impression on me.

NotLiquid

Yeah I dunno. I preferred UC2's opening sequence. It was truly a wow moment and it had a great sense of pacing with unpredictable turns from then on.

Top Bottom