• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted 4 spoiler free early copy impressions

Hedrush

I personally like the challenge balance in hard mode but it encourages stealth/not getting in enemy's faces. The gun fights will be more challenging. But if you want to feel flashy and powerful, hard mode may not be best.

This sounds exactly how I want it to play in hard mode. I'm not one for going into games with a gung-ho attitude flashing my guns about. I like the challenge of a tougher enemy and playing the game as it was meant to be played. I don't want dumbed down enemies who are just there as a hindrance more so than a challenge. Thanks mate.

Here's the thing about the tone. It's till very much UC but in a more grounded way. If you expect TLOU, I think you'll be disappointed. So far, characters actually feel like they have motivations and a bit of depth.

For example, Lazarevic in UC2 feels empty and one note. And while I won't comment on anything from UC4 specifically, even were they to have similar motivations, they'd still feel as having more depth due to how everything is executed.

Granted thats not a high bar as Lazarevic is kind of a joke.

HeelPower

I highly doubt the complaints about the narrative are warranted.

I think the narrative is shaping up to be more interesting than TLoU's.

Outside of Ellie and (to an even lesser extent Joel),characters in TLoU were paper thin and the game felt really empty.

The interactions in the UC4 seem more varied and interesting already.And this is just based on the trailers.

Naughty Dog never made a game with a great story.

They make games with amazingly well written characters, and that is what counts. That is, why I don't like the new Tomb Raider games at all, and they even have a worse story than the Uncharted trilogy.

Same goes with The Last of Us. It's a story that has been told many times, but never that good, at least in a video game.

Writing > actual plot.
"Story" can be defined very differently than "plot" imo. Plot is a discription of the events within a story. The story is an almagamation of everything, from character interaction, growth, world building, etc. Plot only served an overall story experience. Appraising a plot on its own isn't worth much really. Some of my favorite TV shows have a complete absence of plot.

SomTervo

"Story" can be defined very differently than "plot" imo. Plot is a discription of the events within a story. The story is an almagamation of everything, from character interaction, growth, world building, etc. Plot only served an overall story experience. Appraising a plot on its own isn't worth much really. Some of my favorite TV shows have a complete absence of plot.

Beat you to it, baby.

Ascenion

I am going to comment a bit on this but mind you this is my opinion and bias so take it with the aggregate of other opinions if you wish to read.

Yeah the humor is okay, not its wittiest so far (U2 was the best), and it feels like it's there because we expect it but overall the tone is...I don't mean to upset, but brace yourself and take it with a grain of salt...is almost like every character feels too old and tired to be doing this treasure hunting shit again. So the tone is more serious and somber. Not bleak or morbid like TLOU but definitely not as peppy as U2.

And so far (Chapter 9, early) it seems that the previous games have the most unique and impressive set pieces, even compared to the other games' early chapters.

I don't think I mind too much yet. I'll revisit my opinion at the end.

I'm still getting used to Sully's model. It looks so different from previous Uncharteds.

Pretty much what I was expecting. I'd been looking at this as if you split Uncharted 2 into two separate games you'd get Uncharted 3 and likely Uncharted 4, from what I'm hearing. Hennig and Druckmann balance each other out so you don't get Uncharted 3 pirate ship stuff, but you also don't lose what I'll call the joy of absurdity. Uncharted 4 sounds like it is taking itself a tad too seriously and it loses some of the joy. So like a combo of TLOU and Uncharted, which I won't like because I don't like TLOU type of style. It was a great game but I never experienced joy while playing it and I never played it again. This just backs up what I realized from the moment I heard Nate's theme 4.0.

xRaizen

One of those filters look like the game is running on a Gameboy Advance or something, that was pretty cool.
The filters are the first thing I bought after beating the game. They're really fun to use.

Edit: Before anyone freaks out, I bought them with points you get for getting the collectibles.

Can anyone answer this without spoiling?? what does Drake and Sam do exactly after the PSX demo area ends when they meet up?? Do they continue together?? What do they say exactly?? What's the words and mood? Please don't spoil it though. Also are there any set pieces with new enemies?? Don't spoil it. One more thing is there any other woman in the game besides Nadine and Elena?? No spoilers though.
This is insanity.

AKyemeni

Can anyone answer this without spoiling?? what does Drake and Sam do exactly after the PSX demo area ends when they meet up?? Do they continue together?? What do they say exactly?? What's the words and mood? Please don't spoil it though.

"You are my phantom."

nib95

Banned
Pretty much what I was expecting. I'd been looking at this as if you split Uncharted 2 into two separate games you'd get Uncharted 3 and likely Uncharted 4, from what I'm hearing. Hennig and Druckmann balance each other out so you don't get Uncharted 3 pirate ship stuff, but you also don't lose what I'll call the joy of absurdity. Uncharted 4 sounds like it is taking itself a tad too seriously and it loses some of the joy. So like a combo of TLOU and Uncharted, which I won't like because I don't like TLOU type of style. It was a great game but I never experienced joy while playing it and I never played it again. This just backs up what I realized from the moment I heard Nate's theme 4.0.

Thing is, you can't just have the same story beats and direction repeated over and over. The sequels only work if you take the characters in new and unique directions, exploring character nuance and growth, relevant to their surroundings or to the times. Uncharted 1 set the tone, Uncharted 2 was preppy and over eccentric, Uncharted 3 was more about self reflection and doubt, and now Uncharted 4 is an extension of that, taken to a place where Drake is now married, settled down, living an ordinary life, until suddenly given the choice to be drawn back in to that world, and risk the ramifications it carries. As such there are difficult choices and considerations for him ahead. I think it's a sensible and well thought out direction to take the narrative and characters, especially as it might be relatable to a big portion of the franchise's day one fan base, an audience that would have grown with Drake over the last 10 years, and who's own lives may draw similar parallel with respect to changing lifestyle and responsibilities.

Can anyone answer this without spoiling?? what does Drake and Sam do exactly after the PSX demo area ends when they meet up?? Do they continue together?? What do they say exactly?? What's the words and mood? Please don't spoil it though. Also are there any set pieces with new enemies?? Don't spoil it. One more thing is there any other woman in the game besides Nadine and Elena?? No spoilers though.
This is insanity.

Yes.

Mifune

Mehmber
I get what people are saying about the grimmer tone. There is definitely a sense of world-weariness to Nate. That said, there was one early sequence that had me grinning like a madman. And there will be folks who flip out over it (that sequence).

BREHS

THE GRAPHICS

BREHS

Vince-McMahon-distraught.gif

I get what people are saying about the grimmer tone. There is definitely a sense of world-weariness to Nate. That said, there was one early sequence that had me grinning like a madman. And there will be folks who flip out over it (that sequence).

Yep. It was a "no way! this is awesome!!" moment for me. (i think we are talking about the same thing)

Dang with hitman shaping up to be the best of that series and this already in May, it's shaping up to be a fantastic year. And I heard the witness was good but have yet to check it out yet. The new gen is getting rolling.

I know exactly the moment you are referring to, and it was fucking beautiful. Grinning from ear to ear I was.

The Lamp

This sounds exactly how I want it to play in hard mode. I'm not one for going into games with a gung-ho attitude flashing my guns about. I like the challenge of a tougher enemy and playing the game as it was meant to be played. I don't want dumbed down enemies who are just there as a hindrance more so than a challenge. Thanks mate.

The only thing is that they designed some really cool rope/melee combat that you're discouraged from engaging in hard mode because of how quickly you can die by exposing yourself. But if you like playing sneaky and being a skillful shooter, I think you would like hard mode.

Here's the thing about the tone. It's till very much UC but in a more grounded way. If you expect TLOU, I think you'll be disappointed. So far, characters actually feel like they have motivations and a bit of depth.

For example, Lazarevic in UC2 feels empty and one note. And while I won't comment on anything from UC4 specifically, even were they to have similar motivations, they'd still feel as having more depth due to how everything is executed.

Granted thats not a high bar as Lazarevic is kind of a joke.

It's funny because Lazervic was one of my favorite villains in the UC series. His acting was top notch.

TheStruggler

Report me for trolling ND/TLoU2 threads

I know exactly the moment you are referring to, and it was fucking beautiful. Grinning from ear to ear I was.

giphy.gif

Top Bottom