• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted: Drake's Fortune - 3D screenshot and artwork from next GI

Forsete

Gold Member
Yes well compression and whatnot can make any game look unhot. For example.

gears-of-war-20061107034943425.jpg

I dont think GoW looks like that on anyones HDTV. :)

Wollan

There's no point to waste time discussing this. As soon as the next trailer arrives it's going to blow us all away again. Let's not forget, it's a Naughty Dog game.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Yoboman said:
Just imagine what's going to happen with Killzone. Any discrepancy's and suddenly this game looks "mediocer"? Killzone is going to get panned no matter how good it looks

*sigh*

And hopefully alot of fallen soliders will become of that first real screenshots thread. Jesus I kind of don't even want to see the game until it comes out. :|

Angelcurio

Maxwell House said:
4D.jpg

I must live on a different planet from many people in this thread. These new screenshots look pretty awful compared to what was shown at E3. I can't even fathom why some people are going gaga over these shots.

Look at the difference in his face, the vegetation, the lighting, the shadows, etc. It is like night and day.
I really agree with you, the difference between those two screens is huge.

I really hope the keep the old character design, i really liked his old shirt way more than the new one.

Yoboman

That screen is taken from the angle where the muzzle flash is the absolute brightest. Spin the camera to the other side and it looks far better. e.g.

unchartedfev2.jpg

Not a good comparison at all

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Mojovonio said:
this may have been answered already, but is there any idication of how this game will play?

You have to move the right stick in order to rotate the camera around the main character. Left stick zooms in and out. X to take a picture. O to post in on GAF. Square to make a stupid post about it.

Mojovonio

Banned
TTP said:
You have to move the right stick in order to rotate the camera around the main character. Left stick zooms in and out. X to take a picture. O to post in on GAF. Square to make a stupid post about it.

almost funny.

what I meant is that will it be more of an action-oriented game or more of a platformer.

Pimpwerx

Bad_Boy said:
uhh.... muzzleflash?

carbon15muzzleflash.jpg

:lol :lol
OMG! Real life has been downgraded. The lighting isn't as real as it was before, and why does his skin look so plasticky? :yawn

Nice attempt at logic, Bad_Boy, but we'll have none of that in this thread.

I posted the same basic thing on B3D. Not a pic, but it's clear that the lighting is different because of the proximity and intensity of the muzzle flash. Like this pic, there is no flash suppressor on the gun, so anything within a few feet is now washed in gold, casting hard shadows that are overpowering those cast by the ambient lighting. There is no repeat of this situation in the trailer. All the lighting in the trailer was ambient, no real point sources (not sure how it was indoors however) that drown out the ambient like that.

The same for the ground. The angle of the camera to the ground determines the clarity of the textures. As you rotate the camera around, you see there are many sharp textures of the quality seen in the trailer. They are, unsuprisingly, facing the camera pretty squarely. The ones at an extreme angle are looking blurrier due to texture filtering. You'd need like 16x AF to resolve some of those properly, but what do I know? They've clearly downgraded...amirite?

The most retarded part of this thread is not the know-nothings that are dropping the signal-to-noise ratio with their ignorant prattle, but the fact that they are doing all of this based on one single frame of animation. You may produce 10-100 individual screens from it, but it doesn't change the fact that it's still just one single frame of animation. The lighting, environment, etc... none of that will change in the pics b/c it's just 1/30th or 1/60th of a second from what could be minutes or hours of footage. Yet this one frame in this one location at this one camera level (the camera rotates around just one axis) is enough to deduce that not only have the textures been downgraded (something refutable once you actually rotate the image), but the environments and lighting as well. Might as well conclude that the animation has also been downgraded, there's just no logic in this thread. My last post in it. PEACE.

EDIT: I'm not gonna make a new post for this, so just added this shot from the original trailer:

Is that blurry, angular terrain I see? Can we stop cherry-picking against one new screen, please?

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Mojovonio said:
almost funny.

what I meant is that will it be more of an action-oriented game or more of a platformer.

Everything points at it being an action oriented game more than a platformer. Or it might be like Tomb Raider which mixes run & gun / platforming / puzzle solving.

We dont really know for sure. But clearly it's not "just" a platformer a la Jak & Daxter.

Yoboman

Pimpwerx said:
OMG! Real life has been downgraded. The lighting isn't as real as it was before, and why does his skin look so plasticky? :yawn

I posted the same basic thing on B3D. Not a pic, but it's clear that the lighting is different because of the proximity and intensity of the muzzle flash. Like this pic, there is no flash suppressor on the gun, so anything within a few feet is now washed in gold, casting hard shadows that are overpowering those cast by the ambient lighting. There is no repeat of this situation in the trailer. All the lighting in the trailer was ambient, no real point sources (not sure how it was indoors however) that drown out the ambient like that.

The same for the ground. The angle of the camera to the ground determines the clarity of the textures. As you rotate the camera around, you see there are many sharp textures of the quality seen in the trailer. They are, unsuprisingly, facing the camera pretty squarely. The ones at an extreme angle are looking blurrier due to texture filtering. You'd need like 16x AF to resolve some of those properly, but what do I know? They've clearly downgraded...amirite?

The most retarded part of this thread is not the know-nothings that are dropping the signal-to-noise ratio with their ignorant prattle, but the fact that they are doing all of this based on one single frame of animation. You may produce 10-100 individual screens from it, but it doesn't change the fact that it's still just one single frame of animation. The lighting, environment, etc... none of that will change in the pics b/c it's just 1/30th or 1/60th of a second from what could be minutes or hours of footage. Yet this one frame in this one location at this one camera level (the camera rotates around just one axis) is enough to deduce that not only have the textures been downgraded (something refutable once you actually rotate the image), but the environments and lighting as well. Might as well conclude that the animation has also been downgraded, there's just no logic in this thread. My last post in it. PEACE.
Thanks for posting this, you cleared a lot of things up and made some good points

AAK

Chris_C said:
This is ridiculous, it's ONE BAD SCREENSHOT. Let's see more before we condemn the game.

Seriously. Check out these pictures of Jak 3 Sony released way back:

919901_20041108_screen010.jpg

919901_20041108_screen011.jpg

919901_20041108_screen022.jpg

They look like crap here, but in motion Jak 3 put 90% of stuff on Xbox and Gamecube to shame.

rager said:
Why don't you guys wait until the final game is made before you judge?

Geez, the trolling in here is incredible. and no bans. I got banned for "supposedly" posting 2 threads. This is crazy.
It gets boring already. Stop telling (and I mean general audience, not just you) people to not judge the graphics. That's why the screenshots were released, for us to see them and judge whether we like what we se or not, then we go to forum like this one, to voice our opinion.

AAK said:
Seriously. Check out these pictures of Jak 3 Sony released way back:

http://image.com.com/gamespot/images/2004/reviews/919901_20041108_screen010.jpg[/IMG]
http://image.com.com/gamespot/images/2004/reviews/919901_20041108_screen011.jpg[/IMG]
http://image.com.com/gamespot/images/2004/reviews/919901_20041108_screen022.jpg[/IMG]

They look like crap here, but in motion Jak 3 put 90% of stuff on Xbox and Gamecube to shame.

The lead programmer who was responsible for that engine left Naughty Dog long time ago.

Kittonwy

Banned
Doom_Bringer said:
The lead programmer who was responsible for that engine left Naughty Dog long time ago.

They don't even use that language anymore, and Andy Gavin wasn't the only lead programmer on the team, Stephen White is around and is also the co-president, and I'm sure they have other, very talented programmers on the team as well. Why do you keep giving Gavin all the credit for the massive talent on the entire team?

Kittonwy

Banned
Maxwell House said:
4D.jpg

I must live on a different planet from many people in this thread. These new screenshots look pretty awful compared to what was shown at E3. I can't even fathom why some people are going gaga over these shots.

Look at the difference in his face, the vegetation, the lighting, the shadows, etc. It is like night and day.

I AM SWITCHING TO FOLGERS!!!
Indifferent2.gif

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Doom_Bringer said:

AFAIK, Mark Cerny is still nearby (still J&D's engine was not a single man's job) ;).

Also, the guy you are referring to IIRC is the guy behind the G.O.A.L. language and compiler and as you remember very well that technology is unfortunately not THAT useful anymore as when Sony bought Naughty Dog they had them transition away from G.O.A.L. and embrace C/C++ technology.

I think Naughty Dog is still an awesome pool of incredibly talented programmers :D.

I never said the game would look like shit cause Gravin is not with ND anymore. **** this will destroy many hyped PS3 games graphics wise.

But they really need to add motion blur in this game. That would make a huge ****ing difference

szaromir

Banned
AAK said:
Not really. Maybe I played only the best games on Xbox, but most of them looked better than Jak 3.

szaromir said:
Not really. Maybe I played only the best games on Xbox, but most of them looked better than Jak 3.

no way...graphics equals technology plus art...in that respect ffxii beats most 360 and ps3 games hands down

peace

szaromir said:

Lol

Most xbox games run at a crummy frame rate... Jak 3 - cloth dynamics, the best traffic density in any last gen game, runs at a solid frame rate, has no loading, has excellent particle effects....
Please tell me about a Xbox game that does all that

szaromir

Banned
Doom_Bringer said:
Lol

Most xbox games run at a crummy frame rate... Jak 3 - cloth dynamics, the best traffic density in any last gen game, runs at a solid frame rate, has no loading, has excellent particle effects....
Please tell me about a Xbox game that does all that
Don't forget about horrible textures and image quality, which basically broke Jak 3's appeal to me. Plus I don't get all this stuff about crummy framerates on Xbox - sure, there were games like Half-Life 2 with horrible framerate, but for example Jak 2 wasn't any better (Jak 3 fortunately was).

szaromir said:
Don't forget about horrible textures and image quality, which basically broke Jak 3's appeal to me. Plus I don't get all this stuff about crummy framerates on Xbox - sure, there were games like Half-Life 2 with horrible framerate, but for example Jak 2 wasn't any better (Jak 3 fortunately was).

Hmm Jak II and III have some of the best image quality on PS2 and the textures are actually pretty good. Not to mention the games run at 480p. Jak 2 was 30 FPS in the city with no slowdown and 60 in dungeons. Jak 3 was 30 FPS locked everywhere...

I don't think you know what you are talking about...

xaosslug

Chrono said:
holy ****, would you knock that off this LOL TROLLS DON'T AGREE WITH ME BAN PLZ LOL BS already? some people don't agree with you that this games looks that awesome - shut the **** up and accept it. yeah you wanted a circle jerk to make yourself feel better but it didn't happen, ok? it's a VIDEOGAME. god dammit.

if only it was like THAT. :lol Look, in pretty much every next-gen game thread, since the stellar ownage of MotorStorm, many (mods included) have stated next-gen cannot be judged by screenshots... why do you think mods are letting peeps run amok stupid in this thread? The ban-hammer's gonna fall, it's just a matter of when and how many will be taken with it.

szaromir

Banned
Jak 2 had some slow down plus it had horrible screan-tearing. Image quality definitely wasn't good either (and it's the reason why I generally didn't play much on my PS2 - almost all games had very bad IQ) and so weren't textures.
I don't think you know what you are talking about...
I finished Jak 1&2 and played a couple of hours the third one... They definitely weren't giving Xbox games* run for their money. Which is understable considering difference of console's capabilities.

*at least the ones I played

szaromir said:
Jak 2 had some slow down plus it had horrible screan-tearing. Image quality definitely wasn't good either (and it's the reason why I generally didn't play much on my PS2 - almost all games had very bad IQ) and so weren't textures.

I finished Jak 1&2 and played a couple of hours the third one... They definitely weren't giving Xbox games* run for their money. Which is understable considering difference of console's capabilities.

Dude the games are completely open and have no loading at all. I mean just sit and watch the traffic density in Jak games NO PC/Xbox/gamecube game has that kind of traffic density. Real time lighting, faked shader effects, dynamic lighting, good physics, completely open. Doesn't take much to appreciate the game's tech. As far I am concerned there is no Xbox game that does all that. Jak engine was awesome

Jak 1 had IQ problems, Jak 2 and 3 didn't. But there was screen tearing

and lol they even used the Havok physics engine for 2 and 3

NinSoX

Banned
xaosslug said:
if only it was like THAT. :lol Look, in pretty much every next-gen game thread, since the stellar ownage of MotorStorm, many (mods included) have stated next-gen cannot be judged by screenshots... why do you think mods are letting peeps run amok stupid in this thread? The ban-hammer's gonna fall, it's just a matter of when and how many will be taken with it.

Some would find it more offensive to have someone like you actually anticipate bans and act like you're not part of the problem.

szaromir said:

Dont really agree, I think Jak games hold up very well to any 360 game, dont really know what image quality issues you are talking about

peace

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
Pimpwerx said:

EDIT: I'm not gonna make a new post for this, so just added this shot from the original trailer:

Is that blurry, angular terrain I see? Can we stop cherry-picking against one new screen, please?
It's like you read my mind. :lol

szaromir

Banned
Doom_Bringer said:
Dude the games are completely open and have no loading at all. I mean just sit and watch the traffic density in Jak games NO PC/Xbox/gamecube game has that kind of traffic density. Real time lighting, faked shader effects, dynamic lighting, good physics, completely open. Doesn't take much to appreciate the game's tech. As far I am concerned there is no Xbox game that does all that. Jak engine was awesome

Jak 1 had IQ problems, Jak 2 and 3 didn't. But there was screen tearing
Could you explain that real-time lighting thing? Because I didn't notice it. Maybe it was too subtle for me.
You should play Conker or Oddworld on Xbox and then you should Jak 3. Sure, maybe they don't have open world, but other than that you'll see every aspect heavily downgraded in Jak 3.

szaromir said:
Could you explain that real-time lighting thing? Because I didn't notice it. Maybe it was too subtle for me.
You should play Conker or Oddworld on Xbox and then you should Jak 3. Sure, maybe they don't have open world, but other than that you'll see every aspect heavily downgraded in Jak 3.

you seem like a pretty dense fanboy so I am not going to argue with you any longer. Those games don't do half the thing Jak does, all they do is push polygons which is lame...

Real time lighting - Day and night cycles, nothing is pre baked, real time dynamic lighting from weapons etc

szaromir

Banned
Doom_Bringer said:
you seem like a pretty dense fanboy so I am not going to argue with you any longer. Those games don't do half the thing Jak does, all they do is push polygons which is lame...

Real time lighting - Day and night cycles, nothing is pre baked, real time dynamic lighting from weapons etc
Did you actually play those games?
Nothing is pre-baked? Damn, I must plug in my PS2 and play the game, because while there were day/night cycles etc. it looked prebaked too me, just liked day/night cycle in Gothic 1, for example.

szaromir said:
Did you actually play those games?

yeah I did and I wouldn't compare those to Jak even though they are the same genre. Lots of loading broken levels, they don't have the sort of freedom that's in Jak. No awesome stream engine, less amount of stuff on screen etc

szaromir said:
Nothing is pre-baked? Damn, I must plug in my PS2 and play the game, because while there were day/night cycles etc. it looked prebaked too me, just liked day/night cycle in Gothic 1, for example.

dynamic lighting of that gen. No last gen games had the dynamic lighting like Just cause or oblivion

What Jak has over the other games
Really good traffic density - city packed with hovering cars - much better than any GTA game and comparable to Mafia running on a high end PC
Incredible Animation - Can't beat ND's animators
Really good cloth dynamics - For PS2 anyway
Solid frame rate with absolutely minimal slowdown in 2 anyway
Completely loading free - The streaming engine is one of the best out there
Good physics - floating cars have good collision detection, the hover board
Good poly counts - the game doesn't feel or look poly starved

etc.

szaromir

Banned
Doom_Bringer said:
yeah I did and I wouldn't compare those to Jak even though they are the same genre. Lots of loading broken levels, they don't have the sort of freedom that's in Jak. No awesome stream engine, less amount of stuff on screen etc
So when exactly do you see loading screens in Oddworld? These games had better textures, superior effects, superior lighting and so on. And actually they did have plenty of things going on on screen. But ok, let's stop this discussion, I won't change your mind and you won't mine so it's quite pointless now.

szaromir

Banned
Doom_Bringer said:
The game doesn't have a streaming engine. Of courses it uses the xbox HDD and more ram to cut it but still can't beat the streaming engine

http://www.gamespot.com/xbox/advent...w.html?om_act=convert&om_clk=gssummary&page=2
There are only loading screens when you go into interiors, which is several times during the entire games. Other then that it has no loadings - it is actually better than Jak, when you have tto wait wait for a door to open, go into a small room, wait there until the second doors opens and then you have your level loaded.

Is oddworld a GTA style game no it isn't? Does it have vehicle - no it doesn't. Jak 3's world is much bigger than oddworld's world. Why can you guys understand a simple point? Jak 3 does way more than Oddworld

Shompola

Banned
Strangers Wrath is one of the best looking games on Xbox period. So why do you get upset that it is comparable to JAK 3?

Top Bottom