• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Under Night In-birth Exe:Late |OT| Under Night In-America

Nyoro SF

"Steam version of Under Night In-Birth depends on Guilty Gear AC+R sales"

http://www.dustloop.com/forums/inde...-news-gameplay-discussion/page-27#entry916756

So what do you guys think? Its almost like a "Capcom test" : \

The ASW guy on Steam Community said the reason AC+R was released on Steam on the first place was because sales of previous ASW games on the service.

So it makes sense. Internally if you're pushing for a platform sales are the ultimate firepower. Seems like game companies tend to ignore the context of their releases though.

So I guess it makes sense. A little sad that it's hard to communicate how well it would do on Steam.

I think a lot of japanese companies are still very unsure about PC as a platform, as stupid as that seems.

I'm convinced that GGAC+R will do well on PC though and it's only a matter of time. I've done my part at least.

"Steam version of Under Night In-Birth depends on Guilty Gear AC+R sales"

http://www.dustloop.com/forums/inde...-news-gameplay-discussion/page-27#entry916756

Well it isn't like there's many high profile ASW games on Steam. AC+R is the last version of X2. There does seem to be a market for it. And the fan/player bases do overlap a bit. Ideally we'd have GGXrd on Steam and I'm slightly surprised they haven't. It sucks UNIEL has to go through this but French Bread are kind of a little guy in publishing.

I'm all for a PC UNIEL release. Just as long as we have more of a chance of getting the version updates.

J

Jotamide

Unconfirmed Member
I would double dip for UNIEL on Steam, but wouldn't it make more sense to wait and release UNIST instead? ASW has plenty of stuff they could release beforehand: Xrd, Xblaze, Magical Beat, GG2, Hard Corps(?), etc.

NEO0MJ

Picked this up during the knockout sale. Seems interesting enough, though I need to dig up more info on how to play. It's jarring going into a new fighting game without a tutorial nowadays.

played this at a friends. Game looks really gorgeous. It's not Blazeblue (escepecially the backdrop) but I like the character just the same as in BB : the way they look, their moves, their animations and specials... Also, the game has tons of very clever gameplay mechanics that pushes forward. It's really a blast to play.

Any 2D fighter enthousiast should try it

So I've been working on this game pretty hardcore for the last two weeks. Have a decent Carmine at this point.

Question: how do you get out of command throws in this game??

Anne

So I've been working on this game pretty hardcore for the last two weeks. Have a decent Carmine at this point.

Question: how do you get out of command throws in this game??

You hit them before the throw connects or you don't be standing in front of them when it goes off. Same as any other 2D fighting game really.

Friend lent me this game, this game is Melty Blood as on steroids and I love it! <3

Hell, while experimenting with characters, I was glad to know that Sion plays almost exactly the same! So I atleast have a Main I can fall back on while I learn with Hilda. Also, Chaos seems fun.....but I can see how his range gets out poked by almost everyone in the cast puts him in the bottom of the tier list. Ill still try him out out.

NEO0MJ

Hell, while experimenting with characters, I was glad to know that Sion plays almost exactly the same! So I atleast have a Main I can fall back on while I learn with Hilda. Also, Chaos seems fun.....but I can see how his range gets out poked by almost everyone in the cast puts him in the bottom of the tier list. Ill still try him out out.

I really wish I went physical but I wasn't sure how much I'd like this. Would make carrying it around much easier.
And according to Anne you really shouldn't bother with him and Akatsuki, sad as that is.

Man I'm having so much fun playing this game. I started out playing Byakuya but got frustrated with his all-or-nothing play-style and lack of defensive options. Switched over to Carmine about three weeks ago and the game has really opened up for me. I've got my mid and long-range game together and two 3000+ combos in my back pocket. Doesn't mean a whole lot on the JP side of the world where the competition is absolutely ruthless, but I still have a lot of fun trying to figure out how to get through the barrage of what players throw at me.

On the other hand, this game is not much fun in the arcade lol. Everybody's about 2x tighter than people playing online, and they hardly drop combos. So you have to be really on point to even stand a chance. I throw a coin in every couple days or so but the guys around me are just too high level and I dunno if I can ever catch up.

Either way, having fun just grinding away online at home with it.

Rhapsody

Banned
Carmine's a good choice. Both him and Byakuya lack defensive options, but Carmine has the better pressure and neutral and that works in pretty much all the matchups.

And yeah, Japan has a small but really dedicated following. I can imagine competition being quite fierce there for anyone that plays lol

NEO0MJ

After messing around with the game this past week I feel the characters that clicked most with me were Merkava, Eltnum, Yuzuriha, and Seth. Gonna do some research on them this weekend.

Carmine's a good choice. Both him and Byakuya lack defensive options, but Carmine has the better pressure and neutral and that works in pretty much all the matchups.

So far the only match-ups that I'm finding to be a particular challenge are Gordeau, Vatista, Merkava and Eltnum, which roughly approximates to the top tier so yeah he's definitely a solid upper mid-tier character. In UNIST he seems to have lost damage on a lot of his moves, and only really gained puddle shift in the air which doesn't add much so it makes it that much harder to win in the arcade. I kind of want to take up Phonon as a sub-character since she already seems pretty strong.

And yeah, Japan has a small but really dedicated following. I can imagine competition being quite fierce there for anyone that plays lol

Unlike other fighting games, there's no mercy whatsoever in this one. No one will give you a free round or just fuck around for one with some experimental combo, mainly because the arcade version has a great training mode but also because even if you're a scrub once you get 200% meter, you can get off a 50%+ combo with the right character, so they don't want to lose any rounds at all. They are coming to kill you and it's as simple as that lol. Definitely harder for beginners to get involved than other fighters in my experience.

=================================
So Leisureland Akihabara always posts up good UNI match videos and I found this one pretty funny:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DKRqP2_5OG0

Whenever the Byakuya here gets a combo, he goes from the juggle to web wrap, then doesn't go for any further combos and instead sets up two webs as a shield on the opposite of the screen and hangs out between them to set a trap for the opponent. Boring way to play but probably a solid way to cheap out some wins.

Craaazy Carmine vs. Seth match here: https://youtu.be/RRNhSYjhGGA?t=262
Recommended!

================================
Random Q about UNI: do meaties exist in this game? They seem to. Like for instance when I'm waking up against Eltnum she will 5B or 5C me, lock me into position and then block string me. I want to do wake-up super at these points but I get stuffed often. Can't tell if this is a result of net lag or just that there is no wake-up frame where you can activate an invincible super.

Joule

Haven't sat down to watch uni in quite some quite time but just today some neat content cropped up on my youtube subscriptions. A bunch of first to 6 UNI[st] sets between various top jp uni players. There's some rather interesting match ups I think.

Hishigata (Nanase) vs Nishine (Orie)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EuQtah9Nc-A

Kure (Yuzuriha) vs Takashi (Hyde)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YXahdyCSbqY

Kure (Yuzuriha) vs Nishine (Orie)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p4UHPgq3tb0

Hishigata (Nanase) vs Yomi (Linne)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q_mGCPF3c_M

Kouki (Seth) vs Renko (Hilda)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3u_iQIc2KKY

Devil (Byakuya) vs boogie (Phonon)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XiHfINeMUD4

For those interested in the arcade version of UNI, this blog which posts a lot of arcade strategies put up their analysis of the top tiers in UNIst:

http://esports-runner.com/under-night-in-birth/chara_rank/

o0fouvE.png

S
Seth, Vatista, Akatsuki, Phonon

A
Eltnum, Hyde, Rinne, Orie, Byakuya, Merkava

B
Chaos, Nanase, Carmine, Yuzuriha, Walenstein, Gordeau, Hilda

I mostly agree with these from what I've seen in the arcades here and on streams. I might move Nanase up to tier A, but that could just be because I have a pretty monstrous one at my local arcade.

For those interested in the arcade version of UNI, this blog which posts a lot of arcade strategies put up their analysis of the top tiers in UNIst:

http://esports-runner.com/under-night-in-birth/chara_rank/

o0fouvE.png

S
Seth, Vatista, Akatsuki, Phonon

A
Eltnum, Hyde, Rinne, Orie, Byakuya, Merkava

B
Chaos, Nanase, Carmine, Yuzuriha, Walenstein, Gordeau, Hilda

I mostly agree with these from what I've seen in the arcades here and on streams. I might move Nanase up to tier A, but that could just be because I have a pretty monstrous one at my local arcade.

I know he got buffs in st but I'm super curious as to why Akatsuki is considered S-tier.
Give me akatsuki buffs on console pls

Carmine does seem weaker, I definitely see less people playing him and even Notes dropped him for a few weeks (although he's back and stronger than ever, with new combos!). They dropped his damage slightly, and everyone else just got a little stronger, so he's at a disadvantage there. However, just like vanilla if you get his corner game going, he's a complete beast.

Akatsuki, I don't know the specifics except that close C got a much bigger hitbox, he has a new close B that's quite useful, and in general the priority on his normals as well as the vertical dive move seem much higher. He's definitely really good in this one.

J

Jotamide

Unconfirmed Member
Good to see Wald, Gordeau, and Merk so low on that tier list.

Anne

I haven't been looking at this thread in a bit, but I do want to point out the tier list posted in here is not considered to be very accurate and has a ton of criticism. Some stuff is right but other problems stick out pretty hard.

For example Merkava actually got buffed in UNiST, so there's no way he'd drop a tier from #2 in the game unless some wild MU BS happened, which I know did not.

Just got this from gamefly and everything is in Japanese. Trophy descriptions, menu options, story text. It is as though I am playing the Japanese copy. I am pretty sure this is due to my PS3 being Japanese but is there a way to force it to the English version? Ran into a similar situation back when Uncharted launched and I got the censored Japanese version despite inserting a US disc bought at Circuit City. This was eventually rectified with a patch, something I doubt will happen here.

The menus do not bother me as I can navigate them fine but the lack of English subs for the story sections is killing me. I assume I am out of luck, but I figured I would ask just in case. So if there is any way to switch the text to English, I'd be grateful for the help! To be clear, I am not referring to spoken language but actual in game text.

EDIT: Hmm, starting to wonder if Gamefly sent me a Japanese disc. Took a close look at the disc and there is no ESRB rating on it and it says "For Japan Only" at the bottom of the disc. I suppose someone pulled a fast one on Gamefly and returned their Japanese copy and kept the US disc? Can anyone confirm whether the US disc has an ESRB rating on it? A quick Google search for the disc art was unsuccessful.

OVDRobo

Trophy related, I assume? It's been months since I've touched this game and the connection will be awful, but I'll see what I can do.

Jawmuncher

Trophy related, I assume? It's been months since I've touched this game and the connection will be awful, but I'll see what I can do.

It's all good. Ended up running into someone online and yeah still got my ass beat lol.
Now I can play Arcade mode.

OVDRobo

It's all good. Ended up running into someone online and yeah still got my ass beat lol.
Now I can play Arcade mode.

That someone was me if it was the Blue Akatsuki player. Wouldn't really call it an ass-beating considering how much I completely blanked on everything about the game. At least my random DPs ended things relatively quickly.

Hopefully it helped out. Enjoy the rest of the game.

Top Bottom