• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Underrated episodes of The Twilight Zone

Buckle

Someone explain to me why we don't have a big budget modern amazing version of The Twilight Zone currently airing? They could even get some high profile directors/writers to make an episode or two.
I'd say Black Mirror has been the first good modern successor to it.

Someone explain to me why we don't have a big budget modern amazing version of The Twilight Zone currently airing? They could even get some high profile directors/writers to make an episode or two.

Agreed. I need a new anthology series like this.

They do, it is called American Horror Story. :p
Not sure if serious. I have yet to watch AHS, but aren’t they season long arcs instead of self contained episodes?

gamz

Black Mirror is the closest we'll get. The best anthology since TZ.

For posters above....AHS is not anthology.

gamz

I wouldn't be surprised to see CBS attempt another revival following the success that Black Mirror has seen. They would probably tie it to CBS All Access though.

They already tried it once in the 90s.

But I'm surprised they haven't gave it another go. Or Amazon buying out the rights to create their own take on it. It's a huge IP and still very influential.

They already tried it once in the 90s.

But I'm surprised they haven't gave it another go. Or Amazon buying out the rights to create their own take on it. It's a huge IP and still very influential.

They actually had two revivals I think. The one in the early 2000's had a sequel to It's A Good Life with the original actors returning. I don't remember that being very good.

I do think a limited revival on some sort of streaming service could be really good, if they got the right talent to help make it. I know Leonardo DiCaprio has been dying to make a Twilight Zone movie for years.

Ovid

I Am The Night, Color Me Black
I hate to bring politics into this discussion but I thought about this episode after the events of Charlottesville. Why? Because the next week we had the U.S. total eclipse across the entire length of the United States.

When real life imitates art.

zeemumu

Came in here to say this. It's a legit sweet story.

I enjoy the Twilight Zone episodes with feel good endings, like the one where the guy dies trying to save his dog and he and his dog go to the afterlife and the guy's like "you can come in but you can't bring your dog"
so he decides not to go in and then comes across another guy who says that the first place was actually Hell and of course you can bring your dog into Heaven and lets him in.

Compbros

Damn, I didn't even know there was a 2000 series.

It also sounds like I need to watch Black Mirror. I saw one episode years back and it was pretty great, it was the one with the guy from Get Out.

Yeah, it was hosted by Forest Whittaker. There were about 2 or 3 memorable episodes and one of those was a remake.

Black Mirror is great but it's more like twilight zone with an underlying message in each episode. Some Twilight Zone episodes did it and funny enough those are some of the all-time classics.

norm9

All the one hour episodes are underrated. Growing up, i didnt like them because that meamt i only got to see one episode instead of two that day.

One that never gets talked about is the episode with the astronauts that crashland on a wasteland and atart turning on each other; the ending is killer.

I enjoy the Twilight Zone episodes with feel good endings, like the one where the guy dies trying to save his dog and he and his dog go to the afterlife and the guy's like "you can come in but you can't bring your dog"
so he decides not to go in and then comes across another guy who says that the first place was actually Hell and of course you can bring your dog into Heaven and lets him in.
I love Mr. Denton on Doomsday. A story of redemption, definitely a feel good Twilight Zone. Great theme music, too. As a big fan of Westerns, it just hits the spot. Martin Landau makes for a fine heel, too.

jerd

To Serve Man ....................................

It's a cookbook!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!![/

These are my favorites but yeah Monsters is one of the better known ones I think. I've always thought it could be incredible as a full length feature.

Off topic but time enough at last has always rubbed me the wrong way for some reason

Black Mirror?

That said Twilight Zone is still better then BM.
I'd say they're rhe same in terms of quality. The big difference is BM is much more of a "realistic" take on modern and future scenarios regarding technology and its advancements.

TZ does just whatever the hell it wants.

Yawnier

Banned
Went through a binge watch of this show last year for the first time, though there are some episodes I skipped over

A Passage for Trumpet is probably my favorite single episode that is overlooked and never talked about by most people. It's not a super remarkable episode but I still really liked it.

In terms of other episodes I also really liked I will mention: A Game of Pool, Walking Distance, A Nice Place To Visit, Back There, The Trade-Ins but not sure if I would call most of those underrated except for those last two I mentioned perhaps.

Pachinko

I haven't watched enough yet to know what's under rated or overated. I ended up buying the box set a couple months back though have watched maybe 10 episodes so far ?

I feel like maybe "Escape Clause" is one that some might gloss over ? I don't know though. I've looked at an episode list just now and I have actually sat through 13 of them. I've enjoyed all of them to varying degrees.

I haven't watched enough yet to know what's under rated or overated. I ended up buying the box set a couple months back though have watched maybe 10 episodes so far ?

I feel like maybe "Escape Clause" is one that some might gloss over ? I don't know though. I've looked at an episode list just now and I have actually sat through 13 of them. I've enjoyed all of them to varying degrees.
That episode is so good

A Passage for Trumpet is probably my favorite single episode that is overlooked and never talked about by most people. It's not a super remarkable episode but I still really liked it.

I love all the episodes starring Jack Klugman.

Another great underrated one he stars in is "In Praise of Pip"

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
Two of my favorites were the one where the sun was getting closer to the Earth.

And one where this guy had so much good luck, stuff go good for him.

Top Bottom