• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Unicorn Overlord - Vanillaware's New Tactical RPG Announced (Switch, PS4/5, XBX/S)

Evil Calvin

Afraid of Boobs
Looks good. I'd prefer an action-RPG like Odin Sphere, Muramasa, Dragon's Crown... but I'll get this.

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Nice. A Vanillaware game on Xbox. Hold tight Xbox gamers, I foresee this kind of game announced for Game Pass closer to release.

I dont like anime art, but Vanillaware art is pretty good. It's anime style but has a unique detailed colour and shading palette which isnt so anime obvious.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Nice. A Vanillaware game on Xbox. Hold tight Xbox gamers, I foresee this kind of game announced for Game Pass closer to release.

I dont like anime art, but Vanillaware art is pretty good. It's anime style but has a unique detailed colour and shading palette which isnt so anime obvious.
Still very much"anime" it just Vanillaware always goes for storybook style hand painted rather then cell-shaded look.

Last edited:

IAmRei

Somehow i also wants grand knight history re released again now in switch, that game had similar vibe and the gameplay is addicting

blackjon24

Finally Vanillaware fully reveals their new game. Saved the nintendo direct for me no doubt. Really liked the trailer, I'll admit I was hoping for something more along the lines of Dragon crown or muramasa especially after the very story heavy 13 sentinels (Excellent game) but I do love a good srpg.

Is playing Grand Historia worth it? Seems similar but I've heard mixed things from it

SlimeGooGoo

Party Gooper
For a moment I thought this was a chinese ripoff from Vanillaware, but it turned out it was from Vanillaware themselves!

I mean close-up shots have your typical Vanillaware quality to them:
Unicorn-Overlord_2023_09-14-23_004-768x432.jpg

But these overworld shots look absolutely painful to look at
There's just too much information packed in the screen.
I believe it's the trees and grass that makes things hard to look at.

Unicorn-Overlord_2023_09-14-23_001-768x432.jpg

NanaMiku

That looks promising. Hopefully it is better than Grand Knights Historia, where it seems to have some of its roots.
We still don't know who is the director for Unicorn Overlord, but Grand Knight History was not by Kamitani. The director was Tomohiko Deguchi. He left Vanillaware and tried to make spiritual successor of Grand Knight History called Grand Kingdom.

LakeOf9

This looks amazing, I’m in

Is a PC version unlikely? I can pick it up on Switch or PS5 if I have to but I’d rather get it on PC. Still probably getting it either way unless reviews are awful.

Danjin44

I'm trying to decide to get this on Switch or PS5, in one hand I played ALL Vanillaware games on Playstation, even back in PS2 days, in other hand Tactics games can be fun played on handheld before going to sleep.

Pejo

Looks ok. Not really what I was personally looking forward to with Vanillaware's next game, but I'm sure the art and food will be top top tier. Also, Kamitani still allergic to PC versions it seems.

NanaMiku

I'm trying to decide to get this on Switch or PS5, in one hand I played ALL Vanillaware games on Playstation, even back in PS2 days, in other hand Tactics games can be fun played on handheld before going to sleep.
Maybe see how their games run on Switch? I think there's a demo for 13 Sentinels to try

supernova8

Banned
I thought everyone was joking and joining on some big collective meme saying this game looks awesome... I guess it's just not for me.

Danjin44

I thought everyone was joking and joining on some big collective meme saying this game looks awesome... I guess it's just not for me.
Not all games for everyone, that just nature of video games, I mean everyone praising the crap out BG3 but I'm not in to type of game at all but thats just life.

LakeOf9

Maybe see how their games run on Switch? I think there's a demo for 13 Sentinels to try
13 Sentinels apparently runs better on Switch than PS4 because they cleaned up FPS drops on the Switch version that the PS4 version never got patched for

I think the frame rate drops actually made sense in context of the story though lol

cireza

We still don't know who is the director for Unicorn Overlord, but Grand Knight History was not by Kamitani. The director was Tomohiko Deguchi. He left Vanillaware and tried to make spiritual successor of Grand Knight History called Grand Kingdom.

Yes, I know. And I didn't find Grand Kindom very engaging either. Mechanics weren't that fun.

Issue is that when one's reference in the genre is Dragon Force, it is extremely compete. Not that Dragon Force is a masterpiece in terms of strategies offered. BUT, it is simply very very fun and you can mess around with the world and nations as it is entirely open. Brigandine did come close (I made an official thread here) but it wasn't exactly as fun. Battles often ended in rushing the enemy commanders to get rid of tanks that would drag the battles endlessly, magic and healers were overpowered. And the game was full first degree, needed some more jokes and fun moments.

Last edited:
I’m really surprised they started putting their games out on Xbox before PC (would have thought if it was coming to Xbox it’d come to PC as well)
Same, was a bit shook and had to double take when I saw the platforms it's releasing on lol. Good for Xbox gamers and I sincerely do hope they'll do their best to support this Vanillaware release.

Celcius

°Temp. member
I had actually came to this thread to post the same thing lol - deciding PS5 or Switch.
The PS5 version will be 4k but I'm kinda thinking about getting rid of my ps5 and I already have a Switch so I could just get that version and play it on the built-in OLED screen, which should look fine but then I'm also wondering how easy it will be to read all the text on the smaller screen and how it will run compared to the other versions.
I wish there was a PC version but I just don't think it's going to happen, but then with the Switch 2 being so close I'm wondering if I just wait and see if they announce a 4K version for the Switch 2 (or if the Switch 2 will even support 4K lol).
Hmm... I'll probably just wait for reviews and see how the Switch port compares.

Danjin44

I had actually came to this thread to post the same thing lol - deciding PS5 or Switch.
The PS5 version will be 4k but I'm kinda thinking about getting rid of my ps5 and I already have a Switch so I could just get that version and play it on the built-in OLED screen, which should look fine but then I'm also wondering how easy it will be to read all the text on the smaller screen and how it will run compared to the other versions.
I wish there was a PC version but I just don't think it's going to happen, but then with the Switch 2 being so close I'm wondering if I just wait and see if they announce a 4K version for the Switch 2 (or if the Switch 2 will even support 4K lol).
Hmm... I'll probably just wait for reviews and see how the Switch port compares.
I decide go with PS5 version, majority of Vanillaware games I bought was for Playstation and I'm gonna do the same with this game was well.

Top Bottom