• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Universal Apps including Rise of the Tomb Raider have limitations on Windows Store

JackHerer

Annnd just like that the pour cold water on their new PC push before it even got off the ground.

These issues better be solved soon or I won't be buying Quantum Break or any other UAP games.. Forced V-sync, border less, and no SLI are all deal breakers for me. I use a g-sync monitor and SLI Titan X so this would severely restrict my setup.

Annnd just like that the pour cold water on their new PC push before it even got off the ground.

These issues better be solved soon or I won't be buying Quantum Break or any other UAP games.. Forced V-sync, border less, and no SLI are all deal breakers for me. I use a g-sync monitor and SLI Titan X so this would severely restrict my setup.
None of the deal breakers are currently a issue. Gsync works, as do sli/cross fire and vsync can be turned off.

gfwl2.0 isn't a thing. And trust won't come without opportunities to execute.

I'll just leave this here so anyone who has not followed the wonderful things MS has done for PC gamers, gets to know a bit of context:

For people getting their hopes up. This is MS's various statements on their promise to PC gaming.

Sorry, but all MS is doing is blowing smoke up the ass of gullible people. So yea go ahead and get your hopes up and get excited. In a year or two when none of what they say comes to fruition...I'll pretend to act shocked.

As for the rest I'm in a "wait and see" stance but you don't suddenly erase your entire story so don't be surprised PC gamers are very wary about anything MS does regarding PC gaming.

I'll just leave this here so anyone of you who has not followed the wonderful things MS has done for PC gamers, gets to know a bit of context:

As for the rest I'm in a "wait and see" stance but you don't suddenly erase your entire story so don't be surprised PC gamers are very wary about anything MS does regarding PC gaming.

Worth noting that that last one seems to be actually happening.

Trup1aya

I'll just leave this here so anyone who has not followed the wonderful things MS has done for PC gamers, gets to know a bit of context:

I have followed the 'wonderful' things MS has done in the past. But those things are the past. Will they repeat there previous mistakes? Maybe, Maybe not. But if you've been following MS RECENTLY, you'll see that they've been massively altering their approach in just about every sector they operate in. I'm all for a wait and see approach, and I'm not surprised that people are wary. I'm wary myself, But being outright dismissive, doesn't make for productive discussion.

The UWA concept has yet to be fully realized on a technical level, everyone knows this (right?). So to write off any future prospects based on its current limitations doesn't really make any sense.

Kamina

Golden Boy
None of the deal breakers are currently a issue. Gsync works, as do sli/cross fire and vsync can be turned off.
But as it has been said already countless times in this thread: SLI doesnt work well with non exclusive fullscreen. So while it still 'works', there wouldn't be much benefit.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
It's not GFWL 2.0 tho.

And are you really saying that you'd rather just... not have the option of buying the games on your platform of choice?

I would rather have Microsoft just leave well enough alone, to be honest. I would gladly sacrifice all of their potential PC game output if it meant that we didn't get a repeat of what happened last time, with their stuff messing up tons of console to PC ports for long after they had given up on their "we're totally serious this time" PC gaming push.

JaggedSac

I would rather have Microsoft just leave well enough alone, to be honest. I would gladly sacrifice all of their potential PC game output if it meant that we didn't get a repeat of what happened last time, with their stuff messing up tons of console to PC ports for long after they had given up on their "we're totally serious this time" PC gaming push.

Guess what...you can ignore everything they are doing on PC.

LordRaptor

The UWA concept has yet to be fully realized on a technical level, everyone knows this (right?). So to write off any future prospects based on its current limitations doesn't really make any sense.

UWAs are explicitly designed to be locked down and sandboxed. They - by the very nature of what MS want them to be - have to be.
If you think about it for even a few minutes you know that you are never going to see something like an app on the Xbox One that lets you rip a disk image to the HDD and be able to access it in the same way as though there is an actual physical disk in the drive.

It is beyond naivety to assume that making UWAs unsandboxed is just a technical limit they didn't quite get around to implementing correctly yet.

I think they'd just rather keep posting "GFWL 2.0" over and over again because they think it makes them look informed.

The 'benefits' to a PC gamer of UWAs are identical to the 'benefits' of GFWL. The drawbacks are actually worse.

Trup1aya

UWAs are explicitly designed to be locked down and sandboxed. They - by the very nature of what MS want them to be - have to be.
If you think about it for even a few minutes you know that you are never going to see something like an app on the Xbox One that lets you rip a disk image to the HDD and be able to access it in the same way as though there is an actual physical disk in the drive.

It is beyond naivety to assume that making UWAs unsandboxed is just a technical limit they didn't quite get around to implementing correctly yet.

The 'benefits' to a PC gamer of UWAs are identical to the 'benefits' of GFWL. The drawbacks are actually worse.

Honestly, I think a lot of people just want to be able to play a lot of games, and maximize the performance of their hardware...

If they get that right, the fact that MS has a store won't be much of an issue... Unless you just really dislike MS.

Yes UWA will always be distributed by MS. But it isn't beyond the realm of possibility, that the technical gaps between current UWAs and what we are used to will shrink...

scitek

Thankfully, it looks like only MS's games will be affected by this since there's no reason any other game on the Windows Store wouldn't also have a Steam -- or whatever other storefront-- version.

etta

my hard graphic balls
You would gladly sacrifice games in everyone's stead?

You guys are funny.

The fear in a GFWL situation is that they snag other non-MS published major titles, like the unfortunate initial release of Dark Souls on PC and they damage titles beyond what they are offering. Luckily, a good number of the non-MS GFWL titles have had GFWL patched out, though there are some exceptions. The fear becomes more alarming because Dark Souls virtually required a fan made fix that wouldn't have likely occurred in a UWA situation. I'm not personally concerned because games out of MS's direct control won't show up exclusively as a UWA on the Windows Store.

Grief.exe

gfwl2.0 isn't a thing. And trust won't come without opportunities to execute.

It's not GFWL 2.0 tho.

And are you really saying that you'd rather just... not have the option of buying the games on your platform of choice?

It has a large amount of similarities that would certainly point in that direction.

GFWL 2.0 seems like a fair conclusion.

The fear in a GFWL situation is that they snag other non-MS published major titles, like the unfortunate initial release of Dark Souls on PC and they damage titles beyond what they are offering. Luckily, a good number of the non-MS GFWL titles have had GFWL patched out, though there are some exceptions. The fear becomes more alarming because Dark Souls virtually required a fan made fix that wouldn't have likely occurred in a UWA situation. I'm not personally concerned because games out of MS's direct control won't show up exclusively as a UWA on the Windows Store.

With Steam's success, that would destroy a third party's bottom line at this point.

I would highly doubt we will see third party exclusives unless Microsoft is involved heavily with funding to some degree.

Kezen

Banned
Thankfully, it looks like only MS's games will be affected by this since there's no reason any other game on the Windows Store wouldn't also have a Steam -- or whatever other storefront-- version.

Indeed.

Hence why I'm not concerned about the potential ramifications of Microsoft's renewed focus on Windows 10. It only means good things as far as I'm concerned : high quality AAA games which push the hardware.

scitek

The fear in a GFWL situation is that they snag other non-MS published major titles, like the unfortunate initial release of Dark Souls on PC and they damage titles beyond what they are offering.

I would think publishers might be a little wary themselves of being suckered into that sort of agreement with MS again. Regardless of how little it probably actually cost to do, I'm sure they didn't like having to pay developers to go back and patch out GFWL on years-old releases.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
I'll try.
Let's hope. There's always the possibility of currency distributed in headwear form, but hey maybe optimism could be nice.

You would gladly sacrifice games in everyone's stead?

You guys are funny.

I think most people who had to put up with GFWL's bullshit last gen would probably agree that having fewer or no Microsoft PC games is entirely worth having them not fuck up the market again.

etta

my hard graphic balls
I think most people who had to put up with GFWL's bullshit last gen would probably agree that having fewer or no Microsoft PC games is entirely worth having them not fuck up the market again.

But you don't have to worry about that, since the market will be 95% Steam anyway.

JaggedSac

If that were to happen, likely we would have seen it with Tomb Raider.

I think they'd just rather keep posting "GFWL 2.0" over and over again because they think it makes them look informed.

No. It is GFWL 2.0 in every way imaginable but the name. The wait and see approach has failed. We waited years. And they came with GFWL 2.0.

There is no wait and see. They are doing it. Right now. They launched their walled garden with their own service with "apps" on PC. That's GFWL 2.0 right there.

Keep your "apps" on phone or on your XBox Microsoft. We don't need apps. We have programs; real applications.

Zedox

I have followed the 'wonderful' things MS has done in the past. But those things are the past. Will they repeat there previous mistakes? Maybe, Maybe not. But if you've been following MS RECENTLY, you'll see that they've been massively altering their approach in just about every sector they operate in. I'm all for a wait and see approach, and I'm not surprised that people are wary. I'm wary myself, But being outright dismissive, doesn't make for productive discussion.

Dude, people probably don't even know that GFWL and Xbox team were two different teams and MS as a whole was seeing which one would lead gaming for MS (yes, they were gutting at each other at the same time...still linked...). Xbox won. But it seems that people think that the team that won was the same team that lost and that those people (the one that lost) are in charge of it again. Microsoft has been having teams "fight" each other for a while to see what's the better platform and sometime the better platform would lose (Live Mesh v. Skydrive...luckily that became a better platform...can't wait for placeholders to come back) and it is better now seeing that they try to work together than against each other.

No. It is GFWL 2.0 in every way imaginable but the name. The wait and see approach has failed. We waited years. And they came with GFWL 2.0.

There is no wait and see. They are doing it. Right now. They launched their walled garden with their own service with "apps" on PC. That's GFWL 2.0 right there.

Keep your "apps" on phone or on your XBox Microsoft. We don't need apps. We have programs; real applications.

You both sound ridiculous.

But hey, you also seem set in your ways so no use in us trying to convince you otherwise.

When did this battle between the GFWL team and the Xbox team occur? Considering MS all but abandon GFWL after realizing charging for Live on PC wasn't going to happen, it's hard to imagine a time when MS was looking at the 2 teams as pitting against each other for anything. GFWL limped along for years, keeping the same profile, save game and update bugs from its inception. At times your game wouldn't launch with no explanation, you just couldn't sign into your account. It turned out it required you to accept some new terms of service only accessible on Xbox.com, though all you knew is it was impossible to connect to your profile. GFWL was an afterthought day 2. On the Xbox side microsoft funded a bunch of major AAA exclusive titles. The poor GFWL team seems to have been woefully underfunded for this battle MS set them up for. GFWL just looked like the Xbox vision on Windows and it failed out of the gates, but was left to rot by MS, who just didn't think they could leverage their ownership of Windows to build a gaming platform on PC until now.

Then please inform me what benefits UWA brings to PC gamers that GFWL did not?

UWA means easier and better porting back and forth between a Windows PC and Xbox, since devs don't have to waste time converting code between platforms.

One of the biggest complaints about GFWL was also having to subscribe, sign in, and pay for an additional service in order to play games. There's nothing like that for UWA. As long as you have Windows 10, you're already in. (Though Xbox Live might still be required to play online with people, can someone deny or confirm?)

UWA currently has shortcomings, but over the past couple days we've gotten word from two execs saying they're aware of issues that are being reported and are working to resolve them.

Oh, I totally forgot to mention cross-play, cross-save, and cross-buy. Pre-order Quantum Break for Xbox One and get it for UWA for free. How cool is that? Nothing like that existed for GFWL.

Synth

What benefit is it to a PC game which apparently won't be able to run anywhere but on PC?

I don't believe any of those exist as a UWA. At the very least they're also able to run on an Xbox One... the source of the games in the first place.

Yup Phil and Mike got the lists but I don't know if the people at MS realize how serious this is for pc gamers. It could make or break their store and first impressions count for a lot.

Tomb raider slipped by due to being on steam and the fact that ms gave no pre orders.

MUnited83

For you.
You both sound ridiculous.

But hey, you also seem set in your ways so no use in us trying to convince you otherwise.
if "ridículous" means "right" now, sure.

The name kinda describes one.
"universal but not really"

UWA means easier and better porting back and forth between a Windows PC and Xbox, since devs don't have to waste time converting code between platforms.
Ahahahahahahahah, no. Not how it works. Quantum Break Xbox One is not a UWA. The PC version being UWA didn't help the port. Furthermore, the game is not even cross buy like you claim. There's a preorder bónus and nothing else, thats not cross buy.
Also, you do realize that cross buy, cross play and cross save are all achievable without stupid ass UWAs right ?

I don't believe any of those exist as a UWA. At the very least they're also able to run on an Xbox One... the source of the games in the first place.
Seems unlikely the Xbox One will be even remotely able to play Quantum Break PC versions.

Synth

"universal but not really"

Sure, whatever. We've been through this before. I think it's pretty clear that they're not unique implementations in the way that non-UWA ports would be. Especially in light of stuff like this. Even pre-UWA apps written for Windows 8 are still far more easily moved over to Windows 10 as a UWA than a Win32 app. So unless you know exactly how Quantum Break runs from the Xbox One side of things, I don't think it's worth proclaiming that it definitely isn't helpful. That's not even to mention the upcoming games designed with UWA in mind from inception (Fable Legends, etc).

Seems unlikely the Xbox One will be even remotely able to play Quantum Break PC versions.

Much like my phone wouldn't be remotely able to run the PC version of ilomilo, or Spartan Assault, etc... this is hardly a meaningful point.

Trup1aya

Yup Phil and Mike got the lists but I don't know if the people at MS realize how serious this is for pc gamers. It could make or break their store and first impressions count for a lot.

Tomb raider slipped by due to being on steam and the fact that ms gave no pre orders.

I don't think 1st impressions from core gamers will "make or break the store" as the store's success doesn't hinge solely on core PC gamers. Microsoft intends for the Win10 to be a Windows users primary source for applications. the type of gamer who wants to play AAA, hardware intensive games makes up a tiny portion of the target market. That's probably why they still have so many kinks to work out on the gaming front.

If MS releases a kick-ass game, and they aren't bothered by UWA technical limitations or MS fixes those limitations, people will come and buy it...

sueil

I can't wait for Microsoft to give up on this like every other time and hope it doesn't ruin too many third party games.

Zedox

I can't wait for Microsoft to give up on this like every other time and hope it doesn't ruin too many third party games.

I hope it's the opposite, I hope MS actually succeeds and make it a viable platform for gamers. Why? For shit like Netherrealm saying fuck you to PC gamers with MKX. Using a UWA, if it's the "same" code, there's a lot more reason why it would be dumb to not have a PC port. Look at Madden, a game people don't get on PC, I wish we could get it on PC (and have mods and such...granted EA would never want that for their annual ass over expensive DLC game). Yea, i get that a number of gamers have their gripes right now, I hope that changes so that developers make more games for the platform that usually are only on consoles.

Top Bottom