• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Univision buys Gawker Media for $135M

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hola Gawker Media! Estamos Univision. Bienvenido a nuestro humilde conglomerado. Nos son de propiedad de la empresa peluca Sheinhardt. Un montón de cosas raras que sucede aquí. Un tipo de edad en un pañuelo acaba de entrar y dijo que iba a patear Nick Denton en las pelotas?

Rayis

Hola Gawker Media! Estamos Univision. Bienvenido a nuestro humilde conglomerado. Nos son de propiedad de la empresa peluca Sheinhardt. Un montón de cosas raras que sucede aquí. Un tipo de edad en un pañuelo acaba de entrar y dijo que iba a patear Nick Denton en las pelotas?
Your google translate is showing.

Seesaw15

191dh4.jpg

Slayven

I knew you were jamacian

studyguy

That's actually pretty cheap, guess no one else was biting.

They only got 2 offers iirc from an earlier mention.
Univision has actually been quietly expanding the fuck out of its reach for a good time now. They own The Onion and various other various online sites you probably know of, Clickhole, AV Club, etc.

Gattsu25

Banned
Univision has actually been quietly expanding the fuck out of its reach for a good time now. They own The Onion and various other various online sites you probably know of, Clickhole, AV Club, etc.

Oh wow, didn't realize they also picked up The Onion's network of sites.

Phobophile

A scientist and gentleman in the manner of Batman.

Hopefully some of The Onion rubs off on Gawker and makes it at least moderately entertaining.

studyguy

From all accounts Univision leaves companies it purchases the fuck alone, but I'm curious what they do with Gawker itself, I'd wager it leaves the subdivisions of Gawker alone but Gawker proper site... we'll see.

Also I expect digs extra against Mexicans to come from the same crowd who would generally shit on Kotaku and the like as well now, but we'll see.

Faddy

Banned
From all accounts Univision leaves companies it purchases the fuck alone, but I'm curious what they do with Gawker itself, I'd wager it leaves the subdivisions of Gawker alone but Gawker proper site... we'll see.

I think they will kill the Gawker branding, rename the company and launch a new flagship blog.

They should bring back io9 as its own site as well.

Mesousa

Banned
That explains why they're neglecting the fuck out of their channels, Telemundo has overtaken them.

Lol Joan Sebastian show has been all over my tv. In fact, its the most we have watched it since they got rid of Sábato Gigante.

They don't know their audience. Gigante had an audience on saturday night because everybody could get around and watch its terribleness. South American jokes, caribbean jokes,mexican jokes they had it all. Sabadazo, which is equally shit, is pretty much not watchable if you aren't mexican. The audience was killed with that. In fact i don't even think they show it anymore. Last week my girlfriend had the tv on there and Sal y Pimiento was on lol, and this was on a saturday night.

Catvoca

Banned

I didn't know they owned Av club and The Onion. The Av Club is still alright. They have a similar model to Kotaku of posting some crappy "here, look at this thing" articles in order to support the actually well written stuff, so I hope this means Kotaku shouldn't have to change much.

Dai101

Banned
Lol Joan Sebastian show has been all over my tv. In fact, its the most we have watched it since they got rid of Sábato Gigante.

They don't know their audience. Gigante had an audience on saturday night because everybody could get around and watch its terribleness. South American jokes, caribbean jokes,mexican jokes they had it all. Sabadazo, which is equally shit, is pretty much not watchable if you aren't mexican. The audience was killed with that. In fact i don't even think they show it anymore. Last week my girlfriend had the tv on there and Sal y Pimiento was on lol, and this was on a saturday night.

Now that you mention sabadazo, that ish is also tanking down here. It's no surprise at all is going out of the air.

get fucked ziff.

Interesting to see how this goes, especially if Denton will be involved like the proposed ziff deal would've had

Mesousa

Banned
Now that you mention sabadazo, that ish is also tanking down here. It's no surprise at all is going out of the air.

I think they are just moving it up to afternoon out of the prime time slot.

It really is terrible though. I know as a rican in my 20's I'm not the intended audience for it, but I really don't see anything there.

They'd do much better just showing old movies, or going for another family type of show.

Dai101

Banned
I think they are just moving it up to afternoon out of the prime time slot.

It really is terrible though. I know as a rican in my 20's I'm not the intended audience for it, but I really don't see anything there.

They'd do much better just showing old movies, or going for another family type of show.

Or another rerun of el chavo, because why not.....

Ughhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

jacobs34

So wait, Univision now owns AVClub and the Gawker properties? They are really going after the Jacobs34 demo. Next thing you know they will be buying The Ringer.

Cheerilee

Also I expect digs extra against Mexicans to come from the same crowd who would generally shit on Kotaku and the like as well now, but we'll see.

Next time Gawker publishes a sex tape given to them because the participants wouldn't pay a blackmailer, Univision's name is going to be included in a billionaire-supported lawsuit.

One should hope they intervene a little.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom