• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

*UNMARKED SPOILERS ALL BOOKS* Game of Thrones |OT| - Season 5 - Sundays on HBO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gnome

How about Brienne takes Stannis to the Night's Watch for burning his daughter then he's burned by Mel to resurrect Jon Snow as the true Azor Ahai; a bastard raised to king by the burning of a king who sought to burn bastards. Think of the poetry guys!
Sure, why the fuck not, let's go with that, nothing makes any sense in the show any way. We could have Olly be the new Lord Commander too, it will symbolize his growth and the...fuck it.

I suppose, I just think with how sloppy and lame the whole Dorne story was that the Sand Snakes coming out of it victorious could only mean that everyone else involved must be retarded to be outwitted by some children.

I loved how they were wearing the exact same outfit but in different colors in their last scene. They looked like fucking Power Rangers when they rolled out.

"Sand Snakes, out!"

Kuroyume

Banned
I know a seige at Riverun wouldn't have made for thrilling televsion, but at least it wouldn't have made for totally fucking stupid television either. And way to make Jaimie look like a fucking fool.

Is it me or does this show have like the worst finales? Season 1's was great but it's been downhill ever since.

Doran isn't an idiot, and they would probably have Trystanes word on their side as well. It makes total sense after Dorans "I don't believe in third chances" speech.

Also sending Trystane to KL after murdering Myrcella seems like a good way to further show that killing Myrcella wasn't an official Dorne/Doran plan; why kill Myrcella, thus starting a war, and then send your son into the hornet's nest. I'd imagine Jaime will vouch for Trystane, and with Cersei no longer in power it becomes even more unlikely for him to face repercussions; Kevan wouldn't execute the boy.

Jaime will be able to corroborate the story: Doran and Trystane didn't want revenge, Ellarria did. They'll send a letter to Dorne demanding the arrest and execution of Ellaria, and I assume her and the Sank Snakes will disappear from the city before the letter arrives.

To be honest I'm disappointed with how weak they made Ramsay look that episode. I mean Ramsey Fookin' Bolton was introduced as a man who tracked people for sport, last weak he showed all he needed was 20 good men to cripple an entire army. Here he kills that entire army and he doesn't think it's important that he had no confirmation that the enemy general died? I really hope none of these glaring plot holes appear next season and that they give Ramsay eye lasers to compensate for this weakness, which was simply out of character.

Branduil

Not actually showing dead Stannis was suspicious. I mean this show isn't subtle, when someone dies there's always blood and a loving long shot of the corpse(as expected from Ramsay's biggest fanboys).

Gnome

My biggest problem with the show is that it feels like D&D believe they have an obligation to tits, shock, and blood. That without those they can't make the show good. When honestly the show was always at its best when there was lots of rich dialogue to chew on and digest. I feel like they think we're all idiots watching a circus.

tbDewqv.jpg

I'm thinking Ramsay killed all these guys while the guy on the horse just watched.

Guy on Horse:Ok m'lord, I'll go back to cam-
Ramsay: Oh no, you watch.

takriel

My biggest problem with the show is that it feels like D&D believe they have an obligation to tits, shock, and blood. That without those they can't make the show good. When honestly the show was always at its best when there was lots of rich dialogue to chew on and digest. I feel like they think we're all idiots watching a circus.

They're writing for the big masses, unfortunately.

One thing the finale didn't clear up.

Littlefinger, master of spies who knows everything that is going on in the realm. However he somehow forgets that everybody else has spies as well and openly takes Sansa to the Boltons and then goes to the red keep to lie about something a simple raven could undo in seconds. This could be sent from a spy or the very people that are aligned with the Lannisters.

Has nobody thought to mention this marriage? Why doesn't Roose ring up Cersei and say "by the way, you probably know this but Littlefinger rocked up with Sansa ages ago. Just thought you should know, but no doubt you already do seeing as you own half the spies in the world and would want to keep an eye on your traitorous allies in the North. Also he had to travel all the way back after, which probably took a long, long time. k thx bye"

The whole North plot is a mess.

Not actually showing dead Stannis was suspicious. I mean this show isn't subtle, when someone dies there's always blood and a loving long shot of the corpse(as expected from Ramsay's biggest fanboys).

Those effects cost money though. Stannis isn't really worth the special effects.

know[/I] that there is an unstoppable supernatural army beyond the wall but still can't move beyond "but the wildlings!" I know this isn't a show-specific issue, as it plays out much the same way in the book, but the show has the whole Hardholme massacre to reinforce things. Like, what are Olly/Alliser planning to do at this point? Use all like 50 remaining brothers to round up all the Wildlings let south, somehow kill them, then manage to defeat the white walker and undead army? Good luck with that, bros.
The differentiating factor in the books is that Jon asks them to fuck the wall off entirely and assist in rescuing his sister and liberating his home. That's what even those who have seen the White Walkers witht their own eyes just can't get behind. In the show they have literally no reason at all, outside of:

"Remember when Jon came back with all those wildlings to help us fight the army of the dead? Well it's been 2 episodes since anyone seen the Walkers so I've changed my mind. Let's kill him out if spite, and we'll play a little trick on him and make a sign for it, it'll be a laugh."

Barzul

You know as much as I'd hate for it to be true, Jon is probably just dead. Occam's razor and all. I'm holding out hope that Melisandre can conjure something up, but I don't know that I really believe it's a possibility. Seeing this scene play out in the show again really just confirmed my feelings.

Branduil

It's a good thing Arya killed Trant. I mean last week he was a pedophile, and this week he was a sadistic pedophile. At that rate even HBO wouldn't be able to show his depravity for much longer. He probably would have started biting off live puppy heads or something.

foxtrot3d

Banned
You know as much as I'd hate for it to be true, Jon is probably just dead. Occam's razor and all. I'm holding out hope that Melisandre can conjure something up, but I don't know that I really believe it's a possibility. Seeing this scene play out in the show again really just confirmed my feelings.

Confirmed what? That he was stabbed to death, like in the books. Mel is clearly going to resurrect him.

takriel

If someone should be brought back to life it would have to be Ned. And get rid of his naiveté in the process.

munchie64

OK so I watched it... and I think I'm straight in the middle in terms of reactions, which means I can't call anyone an idiot for liking what I don't like (or maybe I can call everyone an idiot?). Just joking of course.

Some things good and bad that I don't think were discussed that much
- Stephan Dillane was fucking amazing. Stannis scenes kinda sucked (although I liked the battle cut), but Dillane portrayed the character perfectly. You saw all you need to in his face.
- Is there anyway Jaime doesn't just turn the boat around and demand vengeance?
- All of Arya was great. The build-up to here reveal, the trippy face stuff, the blindness.
- Ending Sansa on a jump was stupid. Simply seeing her survive would increase hope x100.
- Well played with the Benjen stuff. We're never seeing him again are we?

The two complaints I can't relate to at ALL
- Cersei's walk being too long. That was the point as far as I'm concerned. In fact it was the only scene that was paced perfectly.
- The Dothraki coming out of nowhere. This trope is so damn common and it was executed fine. Don't see the problem with it at all.

I where my avatar with pride. Fuck Olly.

Also #teamstannislives #teamjonlives.
What could go wrong?

Seriously? You think the guy who gets a couple of stab wounds is really dead? The same guy who is central to pretty much everything that is happening in the North? The same guy who just saw the red women come back home for no apparent reason, just in time for him to die? The same women who can bring people back to life? The same guy who can come back to life, have no real ill effects such as head cut off and carry on with the story? The same guy who was tied to the nights watch until his death and so had nothing to really do but sit around commanding, but can now go off in the world and further the story? That guy?

You think that guy is really dead?

I'd disagree.

I honestly have my doubts. We'd lose a POV at the head of the White Walker/Night's Watch/Wildling's conflict. Not to mention the importance of R+L=J. Wouldn't all that set up and speculation be a complete waste then? What about Melisandre herself and Azhor Azhai? Are we just dropping everything then? Even a show only person who pays attention should have his/her doubts. Also the reason's for killing him were lame, like killing the Lord Commander out of petty spite will solve all their problems with the many wildlings and walkers that are coming.

Well said. It feels cheap and juvenile. Not to mention a huge hurdle in getting people to appreciate the depth of the writing when all the show seems to care about is getting the audience's jollies off. Good god Tyene was annoying. But on the other hand the Walk of Shame was very well done and did not seem to be made with the purpose of titillation.

Gnome

They're writing for the big masses, unfortunately.
I know, it's just...we could have gotten the Riverlands. People keep saying it would make for bad TV, but why? Do people hate shows like The West Wing because there's lots of talking without action? Bleh, I remember when people used to recommend the show for political intrigue, though it seems like tits and Dragons won out.

RyanDG

I think trying to apply Occam's razor to a fantasy setting is highly dubious.

There is no way Jon is dead dead. If Jon is outright dead dead, I firmly believe Martin likely changed his plans for it when no one believed his ruse following Dance with Dragons.

Which is definitely a possibility. Martin seems like the kind of guy who would change his story up in order to surprise people and go against his original plans and end game.

Seriously? You think the guy who gets a couple of stab wounds is really dead? The same guy who is central to pretty much everything that is happening in the North? The same guy who just saw the red women come back home for no apparent reason, just in time for him to die? The same women who can bring people back to life? The same guy who can come back to life, have no real ill effects such as head cut off and carry on with the story? The same guy who was tied to the nights watch until his death and so had nothing to really do but sit around commanding, but can now go off in the world and further the story? That guy?

You think that guy is really dead?

I'd disagree.

Nah they just brought Mel to the wall 5 minutes before for shit and giggles I'm sure

Barzul

Confirmed what? That he was stabbed to death, like in the books. Mel is clearly going to resurrect him.

That's what everyone is hoping for. But isn't the most realistic expectation that Jon simply bit up farther than he could chew and was punished for it paying the ultimate price. Look I want Jon to not be dead but there are so many uncertainties to him being resurrected. Mel being strong enough, she's never done this before has she....or did she in the show, I know Thoros resurrected Beric in the books?

Good god at that "bad pussy" line. Literally everyone at my viewing party was groaning at that. Easily the worst bit of dialogue written for the show so far.

Mrbob

I think the Jon stabbing was handled somewhat poorly on the show. Done for a cheap reaction. I mean this does happen in the books too but there is much more foreshadowing. For example the wounds start to smoke in the book. Also in the book when Drogon is in the fighting pits its wounds start to smoke too. Too much of a connection to not mean anything.

Plus the nights watch burn their dead to send them on. I think Jon snow is dead now but will be reborn in the burning, freed from the vows. Similar to what happened to Dany being reborn in the first book.

That's what everyone is hoping for. But isn't the most realistic expectation that Jon simply bit up farther than he could chew and was punished for it paying the ultimate price. Look I want Jon to not be dead but there are so many uncertainties to him being resurrected. Mel being strong enough, she's never done this before has she....or did she in the show, I know Thoros resurrected Beric in the books?
They just showed us a revived zombie in the show.

Crisco

Banned
Honestly that stupid EW article gave up the game more than anything else. When have they ever given a post-show interview begging us to believe someone is dead for good?

hoos30

Pretty sure no one is changing their opinion here, but I thought the episode was glorious. If we have to deal with cliffhangers, I'll take the way they did it last night.

#teamstannislives

Barzul

In the books it was very understandable why Jon was killed off, he really was stretching his role as Lord Commander to it's limits. The show death had less impact for me, I remember tossing the book when I read that scene years back.

Gnome

Good god at that "bad pussy" line. Literally everyone at my viewing party was groaning at that. Easily the worst bit of dialogue written for the show so far.
Hah. I had someone at my viewing party turn to me and ask "what did she say?". All i could muster was to respond with "Please don't make me repeat her."

Apparently he thought she said "You need black pussy."

Kuroyume

Banned
Mel gave birth to a shadow baby. On the magician power scale how does that compare relative to resurrection? (are we really debating this?)

Btw, anyone else amused that half of Stannis' camp left over night and apparently did not make any noise to wake him up?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom