• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

*UNMARKED SPOILERS ALL BOOKS* Game of Thrones |OT| - Season 6 Offseason Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Seems like something everybody already suspected back then anyway. Reading Game of Thrones a few times is probably enough to pick up on the hints without the use of other resources. D&D used the internet confirmed. :p

Most of the hints for it were in AGOT. It was a well known and generally accepted theory in fan circles by the late 90s.

Speevy

Banned
If they are really doing Stoneheart three years later, well damn.
I'm hyped

My guess is that it's a little mini-revenge plot at the Twins in which various Freys get picked off. Those younger Freys at the wedding are definitely getting it this season, but not from any zombified Cat.

FootballFan

Most of the hints for it were in AGOT. It was a well known and generally accepted theory in fan circles by the late 90s.

Exactly. So I don't get why that question was the one that was required to confirm D&Ds nerd levels. It is just a good story to tell people I guess.

Speevy

Banned
There are no regular people in Westeros until they're being killed by the Mountain so I don't suppose it matters what they eat.

Oh I agree. I was thinking more like a terrible, Final Fantasy: Spirits Within type attempt at photorealism thing with that joke. 2D animation would suit it incredibly well.

Surprised that hasn't happened yet. It would make things much easier, would watch the shit out of that. Some really great 2d animation and vo to boot.

I hope GRRM is up to doing that at some point.

Turin

Banned
When the sun sets in the East and rises in the West.

When the seas go dry and mountains blow in the wind like leaves.

Only then will a 2D animated series be delivered to us.

God damn it! I thought the premier was today!

Blue balls for a week.

Liam Cunningham confirms meeting with the Mormonts:

That confirms Lyanna Mormont instead of some random Mormont lord people were thinking they were gonna have.

This pleases me.

Fingers crossed for Manderly!

Good lord, we're getting everyone back. Except Gendry..........

I'm fairly certain LSH isn't happening. We're already getting at least two characters back from the dead this year.

(an animated ASOIAF adaptation would actually be rad, for a number of reasons)

Preach though.

I wonder if the Bran scene "sure to break fans' hearts" is Bran watching Ned clean Ice and trying to call out to him, Ned's ears perk up, but he goes back to cleaning the sword. It was only the wind, he thinks.

bitbydeath

I wonder if the Bran scene "sure to break fans' hearts" is Bran watching Ned clean Ice and trying to call out to him, Ned's ears perk up, but he goes back to cleaning the sword. It was only the wind, he thinks.

I'm just hoping it isn't the revelation that if Bran hops into Hodor too many times it ends up killing him.

Jacob

That would be a neat moment, but I'm expecting to be how
the Tower of Joy scene
shows up.

He has. This quote is just from the last page.

Yeah I think they have a general roadmap, but not a lot of detail. Almost like a Wikipedia page. Like..."Jon Snow unites the Wildlings and Northerns, joins forces with Dany, defeats the White Walkers and they live as King and Queen." I really don't think that GRRM has explained a lot of the journey to that point in depth because D&D have missed the mark on certain story arcs, not understanding where they are going.

I made up the above scenario for a simple example, for the record.

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
Yeah I think they have a general roadmap, but not a lot of detail. Almost like a Wikipedia page. Like..."Jon Snow unites the Wildlings and Northerns, joins forces with Dany, defeats the White Walkers and they live as King and Queen." I really don't think that GRRM has explained a lot of the journey to that point in depth because D&D have missed the mark on certain story arcs, not understanding where they are going.

I made up the above scenario for a simple example, for the record.

I'm not necessarily defending their writing, but what exactly makes you think you know they've missed the mark on future storylines? They definitively know more than you or I do about the endgame of the series.

FootballFan

I forgot that LSH called Brienne oathbreaker in AFFC. LSH in episode 3.

confirmed

u7NhmO2.jpg

3 hanging bodies = episode 3

Everyone is so focused on Jon's resurrection, no one will expect it when they reveal LSH. Brillant. But they'll probably just call her Lady Stark... you know, don't want to confuse anyone.

FootballFan

That would automatically make this better than S5 but I'm not getting my hopes up.

anything decent would do this

Everyone is so focused on Jon's resurrection, no one will expect it when they reveal LSH. Brillant. But they'll probably just call her Lady Stark... you know, don't want to confuse anyone.

she would be called "Ned Starks wife who was killed by Walder Frey at the Red Wedding, where her son, whose name is Robb Stark, was also slain. She is also the mother of Sansa and Arya Stark who she believes to be dead too. Oh yea she also has two other boys who are called Brandon "Treenet" Stark and Rickon who nobody remembers or cares about."

something like that

she would be called "Ned Starks wife who was killed by Walder Frey at the Red Wedding, where her son, whose name is Robb Stark, was also slain. She is also the mother of Sansa and Arya Stark who she believes to be dead too. Oh yea she also has two other boys who are called Brandon "Treenet" Stark and Rickon who nobody remembers or cares about."
something like that

Lady Sister of House Your Sister

I wonder if they regret not doing LSH now, since all the talk of shortened final seasons. That could have potentially filled in some more minutes.

bitbydeath

Good lord, we're getting everyone back. Except Gendry..........

Gendry
has likely been with the brotherhood without banners for quite sometime. If I remember right he vanished for quite a while in the books too, until Brienne found him at their camp.

Apt101

I'm pretty sure the guy who stabs homeboy in the latest trailer, the one with the dragon emblem on his armor, is Oswell Whent. Still holding out hope that Arthur Dayne is some classically Arthurian-looking character with a milky sword full of stars but knowing D&D he'll probably be cast by Stone Cold Steve Austin and be slamming beers while fighting.

I'm not necessarily defending their writing, but what exactly makes you think you know they've missed the mark on future storylines? They definitively know more than you or I do about the endgame of the series.

I'm not one to bash D&D either. I think there is generally far too much hate for them, but these are the story arcs that I think they haven't done justice or missed the mark. Some of them can still be corrected.

- Dorne
- Stannis
- Jaimie
- Sansa

It's not that I don't think D&D don't know more than the rest of us. I'm sure GRRM has flat out confirmed quite a bit of where things go and end to them. I'm just not sure that they understand all of their own characters and their story arcs at times. And I think their desire to end the show in 13 more episodes could be a hint into that. GRRM has two entire books to go. and at times, has said that he considered expanding it into three books because there's so much to go. Some of the books' content (Mainly aSoS) was expanded into two seasons, with Feast and Dance being somewhat condensed into a season and a half or so. So now we're going to cover the rest of Feast, Dance, Winds and Dreams of Spring in a combined 23 episodes? It just seems a little rushed to me.

Maybe I'm wrong though. I hope I am. I love the show and want it succeed more than anyone. In general I think D&D have done a great job adapting this amazingly deep universe and even though they have made some mistakes here and there, they're still putting together what is for the most part, the best adaption I could imagine.

Loke13

Gendry
has likely been with the brotherhood without banners for quite sometime. If I remember right he vanished for quite a while in the books too, until Brienne found him at their camp.
Except it was the Brotherhood who sold him to Stannis in the first place

Sean C

Gendry
It wouldn't make any sense for the show version of Gendry to return to the show Brotherhood. They sold him to Stannis, where he was almost killed.

I wonder if they regret not doing LSH now, since all the talk of shortened final seasons. That could have potentially filled in some more minutes.

Cutting LSH had knock on effects which had huge negative impacts on the show. Thanks to that moronic decision, we got to see Jaime take Bronn on holiday to Dorne to get his daughter killed in the worst written and performed scenes the show has shat out so far, and Brienne got to spend an entire season sitting in a room staring out of a window, plus however many other setups which have gone unfulfilled. It's also contributed to the complete lack of balance on the show and the resulting 'darkness induced audience apathy' that comes with season after season of nothing but shit things happening to 'good' characters. At least in the books you got the occasional small victory.

Cutting LSH had knock on effects which had huge negative impacts on the show. Thanks to that moronic decision, we got to see Jaime take Bronn on holiday to Dorne to get his daughter killed in the worst written and performed scenes the show has shat out so far, and Brienne got to spend an entire season sitting in a room staring out of a window, plus however many other setups which have gone unfulfilled. It's also contributed to the complete lack of balance on the show and the resulting 'darkness induced audience apathy' that comes with season after season of nothing but shit things happening to 'good' characters. At least in the books you got the occasional small victory.
Uh, Stoneheart would just be another terrible thing to happen to a good character. Cat being revived as an undead horror consumed with revenge and turning on other sympathetic characters is not some "victory."

Flare

Yeah, don't expect LSH to show up. If anything it's the plot line with maybe Sansa at the helm instead of Catelyn. It'll give Sansa something to do and finally have the development she desperately needs after S5.

SteveWD40

Yeah, don't expect LSH to show up. If anything it's the plot line with maybe Sansa at the helm instead of Catelyn. It'll give Sansa something to do and finally have the development she desperately needs after S5.

The casting mentioned one of the BWB being "numb to the horror he serves".

That's not Sansa if you ask me, I am assuming it's Beric but he has almost no emotion left, although no Dormer mentioned so far.

Flare

The casting mentioned one of the BWB being "numb to the horror he serves".

That's not Sansa if you ask me, I am assuming it's Beric but he has almost no emotion left, although no Dormer mentioned so far.

I don't think that necessarily describes a leader/entity, could be the group's changed motivations/actions.

I'm not going to outright deny the possibility, but it is incredibly unlikely.

- THR: 'Game of Thrones' Stars Weigh In on Fantasy Drama's Looming End
- Fanmade 'Mega Trailer' that mashes up the S6 trailers and footage that we've seen so far (youtube)

James Poniewozik spends some time discussing the show and the books in the NY Times:

- Seven Kingdoms, Two Narratives
For all its stunning set pieces — the battles of the Blackwater and Hardhome, the duel between Oberyn Martell and Gregor (the Mountain) Clegane — “Thrones” at heart is a series of conversations. Varys and Littlefinger. Jaime and Brienne. Tywin and Arya. Cersei and Lady Olenna. Tyrion and … well, anyone. In the Season 5 finale, the swordsman Daario, assessing Tyrion’s suitability for a search party, sums up his abilities: “So mainly you talk.” It’s true — and it’s why Tyrion, a disinherited dwarf, is the series’ most dangerous character.

Mr. Martin’s anvil-size books are more expansive. They include vast downloads of Westeros history and religion, outlines of genealogy and toothsome descriptions of banquets, which are vivid on the page — and should stay there. “Thrones” has lost some of the books’ majesty, but it has given them a much-needed edit, a Valyrian sword hacking through the expository clutter.

It’s been a good marriage, but it’s past time for a separation. “Thrones” slowed to a jog in Season 5, and story lines like Jaime and Bronn’s road trip to Dorne were advertisements for the fast-forward button. Even if the rest of the series follows Mr. Martin’s plans (the showrunners David Benioff and D. B. Weiss have worked in consultation with him), it may be better off for being TV first, without the anxiety of a best seller’s influence.

Which version will be authentic? Each will be authentically itself. Sometimes a story doesn’t have a single, definitive narrative. Artworks evolve, be they the variants of Shakespeare’s plays, Kanye West’s revisions to “The Life of Pablo” or George Lucas’s edits to “Star Wars.” We grasp at canonicity — Han shot first! — to deal with uncertainty. But while we can argue which version is better, no one, not even Mr. Martin, can end the argument. “A Song of Ice and Fire” is not the novelization of “Thrones,” and now “Thrones” can be more than the serialization of the novels.

I’ll watch the new “Game of Thrones” as soon as it airs (HBO is not sharing it in advance with critics). I’ll read Mr. Martin’s final books whenever they come. It doesn’t matter which gets there first, because there is no single “there.” They share the same world, but they’re two different continents, separated by a narrow sea.
More via the link.

It was a baffling decision. Show watchers would have loved it, book readers wanted to see it.

I honestly think they cut LSH because they had to keep their powder try as far as resurrection goes for Jon. Sure, it's a big choice to make, and had a lot of ripple effects of not having her, but I think it was purely a TV decision to maximize surprise when Jon comes back vs. "oh they brought back Cat, they can bring back Jon no problem."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom