• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

*UNMARKED SPOILERS ALL BOOKS* Game of Thrones |OT| - Season 7 - Sundays on HBO

Rixxan

Another user made a great post with this conclusion:

"Its super easy to criticize D+D right now because they are doing something GRRM himself hasn't yet - actually attempting to resolve things. But thank god they had the sense to not let that football get too large and not listen to everyone who wanted LSH, and Vicatrion, and Arianne, and Darkstar, and the fuckton of other side characters who would have made all of this even more impossible to wrap up than it already is."

And I agree. That's why I posted earlier asking if people truly believed the books will never be finished. Just look at the state of the story, it looks father from the ending than it was by the end of book three, which was the last truly amazing book of asoiaf.

Take these posts elsewhere bro

There is no room for perspective in this thread

D&D are hacks, and that's the end of it

(Seriously though good point about the addition of yet more characters, it's almost as if there are only 50 minutes a week available)

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Can't believe I didn't think of this immediately when the little Fellowship set off over the wall.

I wonder which of the actors keeps getting a paycheck after their character death as the body they bring south to show people.

_Ryo_

What.
I read the trilogy as a child, I loved it and considered it the best books ever before I read ASOIAF 8 years ago ... and you're telling me there's more ???!!
Movie was okayish also

Maybe in 10 years when someone tells me about Winds of Winter I'll have long forgot about it too :p
probably not thanks to HBO shitton of spinoffs though

Yup there's a lot more. And new material starting this year! That's why I find complaining about TWOW kind of silly. HDM books are MUCH shorter than ASOIAF books, yet take much longer to release. So, in conclusion have patience and you shall be rewarded.

Anyway I dont expect HBO's Game of Thrones to even cover A Dream of Spring in any capacity.

I think you're all overreacting about the books never being finished. Sure it might take years but I do believe they will come.

Also I as well as many others have been waiting much longer for Philip Pullman's "Book of Dust" in the "His Dark Materials" series than GRRM's "Winds of Winter" in the ASOIAF series.

For example. The last mainline book in the HDM series was released in 2003. 14 years ago. The side story "Lyra's Oxford" was also released in 2003, 14 years ago. The prequel "Once Upon a Time in the North" was released in 2008, 9 years ago. "The Book of Dust" is now,finally releasing as a trilogy,and the first one is set to release for this October,but the novel was announced all the way back in 2003. 14 years go.

Compare that to the length between mainline books in the "ASOIAF" series. Its been only 6 years since "A Dance With Dragons" So if the "Winds of Winter" releases within 2018-2019 then itll still be a much shorter wait than those of us waiting on HDM books, and it proves that just because something takes ages doesnt mean it'll never be released.

I didn't even know this new trilogy was a thing. You just made my day, lol

Can't believe I didn't think of this immediately when the little Fellowship set off over the wall.

I wonder which of the actors keeps getting a paycheck after their character death as the body they bring south to show people.

I've been wondering if we'll ever see a main character come back as a wight. Closest we've had must have been the Wildling woman in 'Hardhome'.

Gigglepoo

Remember when D&D were so proud of themselves for having four women in a room discussing war tactics? They promptly killed one, chained another in a dungeon, and had a third captured by her deranged uncle. Oh, and the fourth is all doe-eyed about that dreamy king.

Feminism!

Roronoa Zoro

Gold Member
Remember when D&D were so proud of themselves for having four women in a room discussing war tactics? They promptly killed one, chained another in a dungeon, and had a third captured by her deranged uncle. Oh, and the fourth is all doe-eyed about that dreamy king.

Feminism!

Oh she's allowed to have a relationship. She can be strong and not be asexual. Besides jon snow is just as doe eyed

Nokagi

Unconfirmed Member

Feminism!

It's almost as if being female doesn't magically make you immune to the horrible shit that goes on in this world.

Violet_0

Banned
their biggest crime is what they do to Brienne right now. She even lost to Arya - well, it was a stalemate. Arya had maybe one year of training and, let's be honest, even Sansa would completely destroy her if we ignore the fantasy skillz for a second

Roronoa Zoro

Gold Member
their biggest crime is what they do to Brienne right now. She even lost to Arya - well, it was a stalemate. Arya had maybe one year of training and, let's be honest, even Sansa would completely destroy her if we ignore the fantasy skillz for a second

Arya was trained by the world's greatest assassins and Brienne has probably never seen such a fighting style before

duckroll

Arya was trained by the world's greatest assassins and Brienne has probably never seen such a fighting style before

World's Greatest Assassins Training Course = Getting hit with a stick by another girl and then chased through the streets? Lololololol. Pro fighting style. Arya's entire training arc was embarrassing.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Briene also instantly kicked her on her ass the moment she started taking it seriously, and even then was still just sparring for her, as she waited for Arya to get up.

jett

D-Member
World's Greatest Assassins Training Course = Getting hit with a stick by another girl and then chased through the streets? Lololololol. Pro fighting style. Arya's entire training arc was embarrassing.

When did she learn how to cook meat pies anyway.

Wait, what was the quote? I haven't heard this before. The Artisan is going to be pissed!

I heard GRRM revealed 3 big events to the showrunners, one of them was hold the door, the other was Princess Shireen lit on fire by her father, and the last one was the ending...but everything in between is their own game.

WaffleTaco

Wants to outlaw technological innovation.
Yeah, I agree completely with all of that. All the additions after book 3 were totally unnecessary. It's exactly what happened with Wheel of Time. I don't know why authors think a story is improved by detailing the plans and thoughts of every faction on the face of the planet even tangentially related to the main events.
That's not how it works though. Most view points and characters have a point. There's plenty of the world we know nothing about.

(Seriously though good point about the addition of yet more characters, it's almost as if there are only 50 minutes a week available)
The show is not free from ciritiscim.
Her Season 5 arc wasn't awful, but her Season 6 one was just plain abysmal.

Rixxan

Feminism!

Killed one after a lifetime of beating men at the game

Chained another after she was caught, and having killed a protagonists child with poison

Third was captured after being surprise attacked by hundreds of ships, and killed several men in the process of being captured

Fourth needs no descriptor, she's allowed to fall in love and still be powerful, the man she's falling in love with seems just as enamored with her as she is with him

My point is that your post is inflammatory and bad, we don't need to stoke outrage for no reason

Gigglepoo

My point is that your post is inflammatory and bad, we don't need to stoke outrage for no reason

Sorry, wasn't supposed to stoke outrage. It's just funny how quickly this woman's quorum toppled. We only got one episode with that power structure before everything went to shit.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
I've liked Arya's story well enough this season. She's a different person. The only thing I didn't really like was Littefinger seemingly be able to trick her so easily with the letter, but I guess we don't know where that's going. Maybe she sees through it, but it seems just a tactic to draw out a mini-arc with Sansa and Arya feuding.

I've liked Arya's story well enough this season. She's a different person. The only thing I didn't really like was Littefinger seemingly be able to trick her so easily with the letter, but I guess we don't know where that's going. Maybe she sees through it, but it seems just a tactic to draw out a mini-arc with Sansa and Arya feuding.
I took it as Arya being a bit too full of herself at the moment, and this is going to learn her to not always think she is the smartest around.

I heard GRRM revealed 3 big events to the showrunners, one of them was hold the door, the other was Princess Shireen lit on fire by her father, and the last one was the ending...but everything in between is their own game.

They were told 3 big wtf moments. One of them being the ending was never specified. I don't see the show ending with anything other than one of dany or Jon on the iron throne.

Timbuktu

Sorry, wasn't supposed to stoke outrage. It's just funny how quickly this woman's quorum toppled. We only got one episode with that power structure before everything went to shit.

The conflict is still between two women, I suppose, while the a Night King is more a force of nature. None of the main male protagonists left particularly want the iron throne. The world of GoT is still strictly patriarchal, given how often Dany and Cersei are compared to their fathers.

nampad

everything about arya has been embarrassing this season. can't believe some people defend that shit.

Yeah, she went from one of my favorite characters to one of the most annoying ones in only some episodes. She acts way too cocky.

The conflict is still between two women, I suppose, while the a Night King is more a force of nature. None of the main male protagonists left particularly want the iron throne. The world of GoT is still strictly patriarchal, given how often Dany and Cersei are compared to their fathers.

The world is patriarchic but the comparison the Tywin and the Mad King would even happen to male heirs as both were some of the most important players in the world.

I see zero yearning for DARKSTAR or criticism over no faegon around here and reddit. It's the hacky nature of how they dealt with the material they left in. That post is just a big strawman.

Majmun

What annoys me about Arya this season is that she gets so easily played by Littlefinger.

She's become one of the supernatural characters in this series, doing crazy things with faces and combat, but she's still getting manipulated like that. It's disappointing.

Tacitus_

Wait, does that mean Shireen is going to get torched by her father in the books as well? The fuck.

WaffleTaco

Wants to outlaw technological innovation.
I see zero yearning for DARKSTAR or criticism over no faegon around here and reddit. It's the hacky nature of how they dealt with the material they left it. That post is just a big strawman.
I would have liked Faegon tbh. Darkstar at the moment serves nothing for the plot.
Wait, does that mean Shireen is going to get torched by her father in the books as well? The fuck.
I'm assuming Melisandre reads the Pink letter, and burns Shireen to "save/revive" Stannis and instead revives Jon.

Rixxan

I see zero yearning for DARKSTAR or criticism over no faegon around here and reddit. It's the hacky nature of how they dealt with the material they left in. That post is just a big strawman.

I've seen a massive amount of outrage over stoneheart, Ariane, and at least some over aegon

Agreed about darkstar, however disagree about everything else being hacky

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
What annoys me about Arya this season is that she gets so easily played by Littlefinger.

She's become one of the supernatural characters in this series, doing crazy things with faces and combat, but she's still getting manipulated like that. It's disappointing.

Problem is, Littlefinger's plan is relying a lot on chance. If Arya confronts Sansa immediately with that, how does Littlefinger's name not come up? Sansa will ask where she got it, and she's smart enough to immediately guess Littlefinger, even if Arya doesn't say.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
I'm a 100% show watcher. I'm already dreading the long break before season 8. Would you guys recommend reading the books?

I tried re-reading the books again recently. I couldn't get past the first one. Just the knowledge that there's probably never going to be an ending just killed my interest in it.

Gigglepoo

Problem is, Littlefinger's plan is relying a lot on chance. If Arya confronts Sansa immediately with that, how does Littlefinger's name not come up? Sansa will ask where she got it, and she's smart enough to immediately guess Littlefinger, even if Arya doesn't say.

But Littlefinger could say he hid the scroll in his mattress so no one would find it in the rookery and assume Sansa was pro-Lannister.

I'm a 100% show watcher. I'm already dreading the long break before season 8. Would you guys recommend reading the books?

Even in an incomplete state, it's still my favorite fantasy series. So, yeah, I think it's worth reading. But just wait until after the show ends. There are two separate stores/canons now.

Yup there's a lot more. And new material starting this year! That's why I find complaining about TWOW kind of silly. HDM books are MUCH shorter than ASOIAF books, yet take much longer to release. So, in conclusion have patience and you shall be rewarded.

Anyway I dont expect HBO's Game of Thrones to even cover A Dream of Spring in any capacity.

There's a huge difference. His Dark Materials was a complete story, with a beginning, middle, and end. All three books came out over a 5-year span.

A big gap between sequels or prequels is not at all the same thing as one series left hanging. If Pullman had never written another word about that universe after The Amber Spyglass, no one would have been left dis-satisfied, beyond simply wanting more. He told the story he set out to tell and wrapped up every storyline.

John Dunbar

correct about everything

problem is she is a different person from one scene to another. unless they are going with arya being mentally damaged beyond repair, i don't even have any idea what her personality is supposed to be like at this point.

He covered that. He made sure Arya overheard him asking the guy who gave it to him "Are you sure this is the only copy?" -- he has set it up so he looks like he is protecting Sansa by getting rid of the evidence.

While I'm not yearning for Darkstar I'd vastly prefer a chaotic character like him causing conflict to the Dorne story we got.
"We don't kill little girls in Dorne"
"Never mind. Also let's use poison but make it so obvious that it was us that we might as well have stabbed her in front of Jaime"
"Weak men will never rule Dorne again. Everyone will surely just accept being ruled by kinslaying bastards instead"

Astral Dog

Feminism!
GoT is kinda misogynist, but thats the point no? The world is bleak, now if only bad things happened to women it would be worse but the good and gray guys got their punishment too. Things have been looking better for Dany and bad for Cersei

Faddy

Banned
While I'm not yearning for Darkstar I'd vastly prefer a chaotic character like him causing conflict to the Dorne story we got.
"We don't kill little girls in Dorne"
"Never mind. Also let's use poison but make it so obvious that it was us that we might as well have stabbed her in front of Jaime"
"Weak men will never rule Dorne again. Everyone will surely just accept being ruled by kinslaying bastards instead"

I don't think the poison was supposed to hide who killed Myrcella and kissing her on the docks was the first time Ellaria had been able to get near her after her initial plot had failed.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
problem is she is a different person from one scene to another. unless they are going with arya being mentally damaged beyond repair, i don't even have any idea what her personality is supposed to be like at this point.

I don't find it that unbelievable. On one hand, she is happy to be home, and to see her sister. On the other hand, she and Sansa never really got along. Arya is also closer to Jon and would be inclined to protect him.

She's got a ton of stuff being thrown at her, and the confusion seems reasonable.

I'm sure the resolution to all this will suck though. I want them to figure it out and kill Littlefinger.

They were told 3 big wtf moments. One of them being the ending was never specified. I don't see the show ending with anything other than one of dany or Jon on the iron throne.
One of the major themes of the book is that it doesn't matter who sits the iron throne. What matters is that the system be made to address real concerns. Plus there's the theme of magic dying out over time (even if it's becoming more important now). So I could totally see Dany and Jon dying and someone more mundane becoming king or queen, like Sansa.

Top Bottom