• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

*UNMARKED SPOILERS ALL BOOKS* Game of Thrones |OT| - Season 7 - Sundays on HBO

NimbusD

This 8s straight up fan fiction now. And not even decent fan fiction. Someone runs back to the wall, sends a Raven to Dany and Dany travels back to them quick enough that they don't die? Even if they were there somehow for a week and survived, literally makes no sense. Also no reason for benjen to be revealed as cold hands it added nothing and doesn't make sense in the context of the show.

turtle553

I had actually completely forgotten about Ghost while watching this. Guess that really highlights how little screen time he's gotten, that I don't even think to complain about it anymore. He basically just doesn't exist in the show.

It only makes sense because he wouldn't take Ghost to Dragonstone and he never went back to Winterfell before going to Eastwatch.

I'd rather not see Ghost than have him killed like a chump.

So, I'm so glad I didn't see the official poster for the season two months ago. It fucking shows the Night King sitting atop an ice-breathing dragon.

What in the Fuck.

My friend just showed it to me. Said he saw it in May and kept it to himself thankfully.

does it? Link to it?

NimbusD

I'm starting to feel like "kidnap and wight and bring it to King's Landing" is a plot point GRRM gave D&D but because of the changes they made in the past two seasons, they were far off from what GRRM might have planned for it in the books and tried to forcibly integrate it into the show in any way they could just to get a key plot point in there.

If TWOW ever releases it would probably make much more sense. Maybe Aegon takes the Throne and Jon (still up north and not king in the north) thinks he can convince this new king of the threat now that the War of the 5 Kings is over and the Lannisters are gone. His plot from this episode alone is probably his entire TWOW plot condensed.

Honestly, this feels like a completely original storyline. Or it's gotta be wayyyy different in the book, there's nothing about this that seems like it could be salvageable.

WaffleTaco

Wants to outlaw technological innovation.
This 8s straight up fan fiction now. And not even decent fan fiction. Someone runs back to the wall, sends a Raven to Dany and Dany travels back to them quick enough that they don't die? Even if they were there somehow for a week and survived, literally makes no sense. Also no reason for benjen to be revealed as cold hands it added nothing and doesn't make sense in the context of the show.
You would think having a longer time than usual to make this season would help quality increase. Like these plots feel like they were created in a day.

All the delays are occurring because GRRM is a shockingly undisciplined writer who's easily distracted, types with 1 finger and has no concept of editing. It's really got nothing to do with the show.

Eh, the one finger and old computer stuff is just nitpicking. That didn't stop him from outlining the series, and writing the first book, in 5 years. I think the more obvious answer is that he needed to write those books. Now he doesn't need to anymore, and lost the drive to, so he kinda trailed off into other more interesting projects.

That said, it does have nothing to do with the show.

Leeness

"There isn't time!"

NQ-lokjjfI9WHwYeBbjL_RbWEpM=.gif

Anyway, I had fun with the episode. So I'm happy lol.

I think GRRM probably told the writers that the Others get an ice dragon. But, I think it was up to them to figure out how to get there.

And they did it in the dumbest way imaginable.
Yeah, I think they basically have a checklist. And that checklist might actually be a bad thing because the show is so different from the books that the items on the checklist may no longer make sense. Littlefinger is stuck in Winterfell and has no purpose anymore because they cut the Vale storyline. Sansa doesn't have to defeat him by playing the game better than him. She can just dispose of him at any time. Varys is stuck on Dragonstone and has no purpose anymore because they cut the Aegon storyline. He's there to have a conversation or two with Tyrion and that's it. Tyrion still has a purpose, but unfortunately it's (mostly) just to make terrible decisions so Daenerys doesn't steamroll Cersei. This goes back to Aegon being cut because Dorne marched for him.

I get that the Arya narrative isn't hitting it's mark, but I feel that her beefing with Sansa is misdirection. I think she is pushing Sansa to use a Face against LF. The handing off of the dagger from Arya to Sansa was basically consent to use her stuff.

If sansa uses a face i will fall off my couch laughing.

Zabka

Is there a reason his uncle didn't get on the horse with him?

a) Jon is suffering from hypothermia and needs to get back as soon as possible. Benjen's weight would slow them down.
b) Benjen needs to buy Jon a precious few seconds to get past the undead army's lines
c) THERE'S NO TIME!

Mortemis

Banned
Why does everyone think Benjen died?

Clearly, he jumped into the lake and Bronn saved him. Have you guys seen Bronn in the last episode? That's what he's been up to.

Jon finally met his uncle after 7 seasons. And this is all we got....
Benjen was Jon's Hero as implied in season 1 ep 1 he really looked up to him.

Hazmat

They better not have Jon and Daenerys bone.

I was stunned that this isn't what ended the episode. Chicks dig scars, so they must love fatal wounds that never healed because you're a zombie, and him bending the knee, something something Myrish swamp.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
Dany should've stripped down and got in bed with Jon when they started undressing him. Everyone knows that's the fastest way to bring someone's core temperature up.

Oldtown was in the opening credits -- is it normal for them to show a location there and then never actually have a scene in the episode?
Yes. The opening credits means nothing.

BFIB

The distance traveled has long been an issue, but this episode went way overboard. I guess it's expected now, but I think once this show is over and we can arm chair QB, most are going to say when the show passed the books, the show took a turn. Still great, but not as fined tuned as the first four seasons.

Biske

This show is aggressively dumb. So many things.

Where to a bunch of zombies get 4 huge fucking chains from?

Where? They have special iron powers? They been lugging that shit around just in case?

It's like I'm watching a wikipedia summary of a show.

Shit just happens cause it needs to fuck it.

fanboi

Banned
I think we have reached the 'remove your brain and eat your popcorn' territory.

It might not be Shakespeare, but damn me if I don't enjoy it.

Staccat0

Fail out bailed
The distance traveled has long been an issue, but this episode went way overboard. I guess it's expected now, but I think once this show is over and we can arm chair QB, most are going to say when the show passed the books, the show took a turn. Still great, but not as fined tuned as the first four seasons.
I'm having fun but yeah the pacing is bonkers

Burt

no shit he's undercutting characters. IT'S WHAT HE DOES. He has made it clear before he wants everything. That means complete power. Chaos is a ladder, and he's trying to create that chaos.

Hey, maybe by your standards, Cersei will be completely reasonable next episode because hey, there's white walkers, no time for political machinations, amiright?

But no, the characters have their motivations and Littlefinger is still pursuing his goals like he always has. Regardless of your feelings.

Nah

breh

Nahhhh

He's not undercutting characters

The writers are undercutting characters to service a fairytale plot to him

The show gave us master assassin Arya. Unearned? Sure, I can meet someone halfway on that. But I know what a montage is, and I'm willing to go along with that. Sniff a few powders, fight a few blind fights, sure, whatever. She murders the number 2 and 3 Freys, and then the number 1 Frey, and then Freys 4 through 99? Okay, fine, that's the character.

The turn in all of this, the culmination of it all, is when Arya shirked revenge in King's Landing to go home to Winterfell and be with her family. This was the other half of the point of the House of Black and White storyline. Arya isn't no one. Arya is, and always will be Arya Stark. She has revenge at the tips of fingers, and she goes back to Winterfell instead.

Because she's Arya Stark.

Of course, when she gets back there, she immediately proves that she's neither a master (or even mediocre) assassin or loyal to the Stark name. Or smart at all, because she seems to believe that should Jon not come back, it would be better for the North to dissolve into 943 little fiefdoms than be united under and ruled by the demonstrably competent Sansa.

Not to mention the fact that she's completely unwilling to accept neither the fact that Sansa was a scared little girl at the Sept of Baelor nor that Sansa has grown as a person since then, through the hardships of real world experience.

It's not like they had a conversation in front of their father's grave about exactly that or anything.

The exact same shit goes for Sansa, who has told Jon not to trust Littlefinger, who told Arya and Bran to not trust Littlefinger because he's obviously dagger-scheming, who was about half a second away from telling Brienne to cut the head off the Littlefinger who saved her from the monsters that killed her family to sell her to the monsters who killed her family... who went and confided in Littlefinger at the first moment of strife, without any questions asked at all.

Sansa's entire storyline has been about her learning the game, and even her being brutalized when she overextends herself within it, which - like it or hate it - gave her the resolve to forego sentimentality and make shrewd decisions to allow her to rule effectively. And, you know, tell Arya to grow up when she reads that dumb, obvious letter.

But mostly it's been about her learning to not trust Littlefinger.

Which she does immediately.

Oh yeah, and she got rid of Brienne, because Brienne was the only person faithful to her herself while her vassals seem to continuously care only about their own self interest.

This is the foreward to a 10,000 page essay on all the character sabotage they did in this episode.

But I'm done writing because that shit gives me a fucking headache

Cersei being reasonable because of the White Walker threat next episode wouldn't be consistent with my standards, it'd be consistent with the standard they gave us this episode.

Madness

Perhaps one of the worst written episodes since they started. If anyone doubted it hss become the walking dead just look at this episode. The same style of A-Ha moments and convenience. Polar bear comes out of nowhere. Gendry manages to send a raven almost 1800 miles south in a day? Dany conveniently comes right as they are about to be swarmed but Jon just has to stab two or three more wights because they need to have the forced tension. Just enough for the Night King to take down Viserion. Benjen shows up right at the end too, somehow makes it past all the White Walkers just to give Jon his horse? He couldn't have gotten on just like he did with Bran and Meera?

They lose a dragon, a priest who can resurrect the dead and an undead Stark with a ball of fire for a fucking Wight so they can show Cersei zombies are real when she has a Zombie as her Kingsuard.

I used to think book readers were unfairly harsh on the show but this is just pathetic. Quite honestly the worst season of GoT so far. Fake tension between Arya and Sansa that makes no sense. They've been at Winterfell for weeks but haven't found time to actually speak? Or go even speak to Bran who can see into the past. Just that fake tension. Now the Night King will probably just fly over the wall too. He couldn't walk through it due to the magic.

So, I'm so glad I didn't see the official poster for the season two months ago. It fucking shows the Night King sitting atop an ice-breathing dragon.

What in the Fuck.

My friend just showed it to me. Said he saw it in May and kept it to himself thankfully.

wtf I hadn't seen it either. Dragon breathing blue fire and the Night King as the rider.

jfkgoblue

Trailer spoilers:
Brienne and Pod are part of Jon's entourage when approaching Cersei, so I guess they meet each other first, literally all of Dany's advisers are also following Jon to the meeting. Poor Jorah, Jon has his sword, his girl, and now is his commander, so many Ls

Staccat0

Fail out bailed
This show is aggressively dumb. So many things.

Where to a bunch of zombies get 4 huge fucking chains from?

Where? They have special iron powers? They been lugging that shit around just in case?

It's like I'm watching a wikipedia summary of a show.

Shit just happens cause it needs to fuck it.
Because having Mr Freeze stand at the edge of the water. Raise his hand and wait a beat before a shrieking ice dragon burst into the sky woulda been too cinematic.

Top Bottom