• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

*UNMARKED SPOILERS ALL BOOKS* Game of Thrones |OT| - Season 7 - Sundays on HBO

sappyday

I got a headache. Every stupid moment just pissed me off. How can the writing be this sloppy. What a fucking shit show this has been.

duckroll

I'm pretty surprised that the thread hates this episode this much. I mean, it's definitely not a great episode, but we've been through so much worse.

NimbusD

I got "spoiled" by googled Viserion's name a while ago and a bunch of stupid, oddly specific articles whose titles were variants of "THEORY: WILL VISERION BECOME AN ICE DRAGON IN GAME OF THRONES??? PLS CLICK" popped up, which I assume were publications trying to cash in on the leaks. Oh well, wouldn't have surprised me too much either way.

And... yeah, I still find the show entertaining enough but I don't think it's even nitpicking anymore. The writers don't give a fuck, it's hilarious.

Yeah an intern at my job that I chat about got with kept giving these weirdly specific 'predictions' about Jon going north and Dany randomly saving him and a dragon becoming a wight, etc etc. And I was just like lol that's weirdly specific, because their a fucking weird person I thought nothing of it.

Now I'm like, wtf you asshole you were just randomly spoiling it for me pretending to be smart? You can't have predicted the last episode because it literally made no sense.

Fucking people, if the interns weren't done next week I'd get my boss to fire her.
I'm pretty surprised that the thread hates this episode this much. I mean, it's definitely not a great episode, but we've been through so much worse.
Have we though? This is fan fiction level writing with the laziest of shortcuts to get through even the smallest of character scenes.

And aside from just the dialogue, can anyone even say they're excited about where the plot is going? Yeah I guess cool we'll get a fun ice dragon battle and a bunch other more battles... But that's not ever why I watched game of thrones. I could watch literally any other fantasy movie.

Qurupeke

I think the episode had its moments, but good God, it was stupid. It had one of the most absurd uses of fast travelling and Arya becoming like the worst character in the series. Also, as cool as an ice dragon is, this season's "big episode" definitely felt a bit weak. I liked the loot train battle more.

Burt

I'm pretty 100% sure I coined the term dragon ex machina and I didn't see the leak

So maybe that interns just a grandmaster and even a step beyond me

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
Jon Snow just hard shutting his eyes in response to "You should get some rest" might be the funniest thing this shows done

Outside of

Haha your name's Dickon
I was just happy he didn't pull a Dark Knight Rises.

jviggy43

Also when jon rescued the wildlings and fought the white walkers, the NK just raised all the recently dead bodies by lifting his arms up into the air. So he doesn't have to touch them, so why even both showing giant dragon chains pulling out of the water?

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
Also when jon rescued the wildlings and fought the white walkers, the NK just raised all the recently dead bodies by lifting his arms up into the air. So he doesn't have to touch them, so why even both showing giant dragon chains pulling out of the water?
It would've looked cool as hell if he raised his arms and the dragon burst out of the ice and landed next to him.

Hazmat

Jon Snow just hard shutting his eyes in response to "You should get some rest" might be the funniest thing this shows done

Outside of

Haha your name's Dickon

I want to say someone complained in this thread or somewhere else that I've read stuff that they hadn't used "dick" on GoT before, so Bronn laughing like an 8 year old boy at the name "Dickon" was dumb, and they literally had a moment tonight where The Hound taught Tormund the word "dick."

Biske

Uh duh... you cant just lift a huge ass dragon... geeze. This is a smart show for smart people.

If you didn't see the giant ice chains coming, you just weren't paying attention to this finely crafted and plotted show.

Staccat0

Fail out bailed
Right. Like, complain about the Littlefinger and Arya shit, I loathe littlefinger and what his character is. And Arya should've stabbed him already.

But the time aspects? It's like eh, this isn't 24, each episode doesn't take place within an hour in-universe time.
I mean, you fully understand that isn't people's gripe so why pretend you don't?

The show spent years building a certain sense of pacing and building deliberate rhythms that are different now. The extra bummer for some is that they are getting to stuff some of us have waited 5 years to see.

It's fine if you like it, but it's obnoxious to be like "It's not 24" on a thread where this has been explained a billion times.

Just be cool. Like an ice dragon.

Kain

lolololol just when you think it can't get worse: IT DOES

The writing of this show is reaching Lost-episode with Jack's tattoos-bad but the other way around: instead of useless filler, they just rush the fuck out of everything.

I love the dragons, I love the zombie-dragons, I hate everything else in this episode (and this season actually).

No, I don't buy they are running out of time and they have to rush things, they just are not capable of handling this. And that's fine, but it's still trash.

Like, Gendry Gump running dozens and kilometers and then supersonic ravens reaching Dragonstone, and THEN Dany flying there all in the span of.... hours? I just don't get it. The stupid plan "let's bring a zombie to Cersei" or this boyband of dreams following it is another level too. Like, wow.

Also I don't understand the Sansa-LF-Arya triangle of wat.

I mean, you fully understand that isn't people's gripe so why pretend you don't?

people are complaining that gendry got to the wall and managed to send a raven and that the dragons+dany made it up to jon whilst they were still in the circle and that they teleported or something

so yes

I would say alot of people have that as their main gripe. The person I was arguing with definitely had that gripe.

Freshmaker

I am Korean.
Also I don't understand the Sansa-LF-Arya triangle of wat.

This isn't intrigue. This is stupid people withholding information just to screw themselves up. Especially when Bran could clear all of this up in an instant, this is just aggressively stupid.

Is there any backstory to the Night King? Is he a significant undead character from the backstory lore?
Just that he was the first WW created and eventually went out of control.

Staccat0

Fail out bailed
This isn't intrigue. This is stupid people withholding information just to screw themselves up. Especially when Bran could clear all of this up in an instant, this is just aggressively stupid.
It veeeery much reminds me of Lost.

I can forgive Bran being alien and aloof, but not the sisters falling so easily into their old dynamic without having a single meaningful conversation. It's a total waste of something they spent years building too. Oh well.

Couple of scenarios.

Blue eyes wight dragon fucks shit up at the armstice meeting, and Cersei blames Danaerys.

Blue eyes fucks shit up with ice breath and or fire

If fire breath, also a possibility is melting the wall?

Also, why the heck wasn't that lake frozen anyway? They should've been extremely far north. Further, don't the Others make it so cold that they would be able to walk across? The Night King straight walked through fire.

Branduil

It's hard to describe how actually fucking stupid this show is now, LOL. The entire Winterfell plot is just a hilarious clusterfuck of nonsensical plotting and character destruction.

duckroll

Have we though? This is fan fiction level writing with the laziest of shortcuts to get through even the smallest of character scenes.

Yeah? We definitely have. Heck, episode 3 was much, much worse than this one. At this point does it really matter if it is fan fiction or fan service or whatever we call it? The show panders a lot but that's what it is. Popular characters are badass and awesome, villains are all crafty and cruel. It's the best pulp fantasy on television.

And aside from just the dialogue, can anyone even say they're excited about where the plot is going? Yeah I guess cool we'll get a fun ice dragon battle and a bunch other more battles... But that's not ever why I watched game of thrones. I could watch literally any other fantasy movie.

I'm super excited about where the plot is going. I want to see the Hound fight Zombie Gregor, I wanna see the epic battle where dragon fights dragon, I want to know what bullshit Cersei pulls out of her ass next, and I want to see the stupid look on Urine Greyjoy's face when he gets owned, because that guy is such a bad actor. Isn't THIS why people watch Game of Thrones? It's a cross between a soap opera and a pulp violence/nudity fantasy actioner. That's what it has been for years now. If you really dislike what it is, why are you still watching, I think that's the better question!

When was the last time the show wasn't trying to be a crowdpleaser? Last season was ALL about crowdpleasing. The HOLD THE DOOR watercooler shocker, Bran finally becoming the MAGEGOD, the long awaited BATTLE OF THE BASTARDS, Cersei going MAD QUEEN BOMBER, even the closing scenes with Arya making it back in time to kill Walder Frey. It's all conveniences, feel good moments, plot twist shockers, etc. Nothing nuanced. And people love them for it. This is the REAL Game of Thrones.

This isn't a good episode because the execution was kinda off, but in spirit it is very much what the show is.

Macka

I'm hard-pressed to complain about the chains considering how trashy the rest of the episode was, but...why did they need chains at all? The Night King could presumably just go into the water, reanimate the dragon and fly out.

TrutaS

When Arya goes from being one my favourite characters to becoming more annoying than Sansa you know you've got terrible writing. Just terrible plotting.

But it's not just her. Every character is doing stupid, out of character things to generate plot points which are predictable and boring even before they unfold. The ending of this story is in really bad hands unfortunately. But fortunately for george martin, a lot of people will still go for his books since these bad plots will never take place in the books.

Jeels

The point about the battles is a bit odd to me too because one of the complaints for dance was the big battles got delayed and that's why everyone's looking forward to winds..

jviggy43

Also if white walkers were coming out of the water to pull people in, why did they stop chasing them if falling into the water didn't impede their ability to chase them? Why would you just stop?

duckroll

I'm hard-pressed to complain about the chains considering how trashy the rest of the episode was, but...why did they need chains at all? The Night King could presumably just go into the water, reanimate the dragon and fly out.

What a weird thing to complain about. It's a cool and badass scene to show an army of zombies using chains to drag a dragon corpse out of the water for it to be reanimated. Right out of World of Warcraft or whatever.

Biske

Yeah? We definitely have. Heck, episode 3 was much, much worse than this one. At this point does it really matter if it is fan fiction or fan service or whatever we call it? The show panders a lot but that's what it is. Popular characters are badass and awesome, villains are all crafty and cruel. It's the best pulp fantasy on television.

I'm super excited about where the plot is going. I want to see the Hound fight Zombie Gregor, I wanna see the epic battle where dragon fights dragon, I want to know what bullshit Cersei pulls out of her ass next, and I want to see the stupid look on Urine Greyjoy's face when he gets owned, because that guy is such a bad actor. Isn't THIS why people watch Game of Thrones? It's a cross between a soap opera and a pulp violence/nudity fantasy actioner. That's what it has been for years now. If you really dislike what it is, why are you still watching, I think that's the better question!

When was the last time the show wasn't trying to be a crowdpleaser? Last season was ALL about crowdpleasing. The HOLD THE DOOR watercooler shocker, Bran finally becoming the MAGEGOD, the long awaited BATTLE OF THE BASTARDS, Cersei going MAD QUEEN BOMBER, even the closing scenes with Arya making it back in time to kill Walder Frey. It's all conveniences, feel good moments, plot twist shockers, etc. Nothing nuanced. And people love them for it. This is the REAL Game of Thrones.

This isn't a good episode because the execution was kinda off, but in spirit it is very much what the show is.

I agree with all of this. And this is what I've watched the show for, a fast track novelty on the books.

But they are pushing that boundary even by racing through their own already sped up timeline.

Staccat0

Fail out bailed

Well I mean, it's a book thread and the early seasons were certainly more character driven and deliberate. It was always a twisty fun pulp plot show, but saying "lol don't watch it then" feels defensive unless I am missing something.

Even the sept blowing up was a slow burn of multiple threads culminating that said deeper things about Cercie and her relationship to power and her children.

Mortemis

Banned
I swear to god

With the Hound going to kings landing

If we don't get Clegane Bowl

It's what I'm most excited for next ep. If we don't get it, it's gonna be a long sad wait for the final season.

Anyone think so far this is the worst season yet? Worse than season 5?

Lol nah. This season is bad yeah, but just the scenes with the dragons attacking brings it up to a level season 5 or 6 can't match imo.

Here's the thing I don't get about wanting the Cleganes to fight: Mountain is portrayed as several magnitudes stronger than Hound, with the exception of the brief clash Robert interrupted.

Cant imagine it being much of a fight.

Yeah but the Hound has friends now, so he'll prevail with the power of friendship. Or something something lord of light. Idc, I wanna see it.

Freshmaker

I am Korean.
Given that there isn't any other pulp fantasy on television, and it didn't used to be pulp fantasy...

I think it's perfectly fine for people getting annoyed when it goes full on A Knight's Tale.

If you really dislike what it is, why are you still watching, I think that's the better question!
Because the new books aren't out yet. I'm watching to see the broad strokes, and I'm getting a feeling that even those are getting rather pale.

It's all conveniences, feel good moments, plot twist shockers, etc. Nothing nuanced. And people love them for it. This is the REAL Game of Thrones.
There used to be nuance.

One set piece?

duckroll

Well I mean, it's a book thread and the early seasons were certainly more character driven and deliberate. It was always a twisty fun pulp plot show, but saying "lol don't watch it then" feels defensive unless I am missing something.

I'm not defending anything though. I'm just calling the show what it is. It hasn't been anything like the books since season 3, and even then they were more interested in doubling down on the visual shock and awe for audience impact. Lets now forget how the Red Wedding went from Robb Stark being a misguided moron who got a girl from some minor house pregnant while knowing he was meant to use marriage to help their position in the war, to a guy who is truly in love with a special show original character, to make it much more tragic.

Since then it has been all out showboating. Karl "fooking legend" Tanner? The huge random SCYTHE that comes out of the Wall? The epic show original tussle at Hardhome with Jon single handedly taking down a White Walker? This is just what Game of Thrones is. To still complain about what it is at the end of Season 7, seems silly. Actual critique on the execution of the episode is totally fair. This season is very weak coming off Season 6. But saying "that's not why I watch GoT" makes me wonder what there is on GoT in the last 4 seasons that was any different in terms of tone.

Given that there isn't any other pulp fantasy on television, and it didn't used to be pulp fantasy...

I think it's perfectly fine for people getting annoyed when it goes full on A Knight's Tale.

Four years ago?

One set piece?

Yes, since Season 2, pretty much every pen-ultimate episode has been a "one set piece" trick. That's series tradition.

Kain

I can sort of more or less understand the Jon plot. But I can't for the life of me understand the Arya-LF-Sansa thing. Is Arya being creepy on purpose? Is she for real? After 6 seasons Sansa still has no clue? I would give them the benefit of doubt but it's hard. Like, you have Bran hooked to the treenternet and he could dissolve all this stupid shit fast, instead he's watching birds. Ok.

Mortemis

Banned
I can sort of more or less understand the Jon plot. But I can't for the life of me understand the Arya-LF-Sansa thing. Is Arya being creepy on purpose? Is she for real? After 6 seasons Sansa still has no clue? I would give them the benefit of doubt but it's hard. Like, you have Bran hooked to the treenternet and he could dissolve all this stupid shit fast, instead he's watching birds. Ok.

Maybe Bran is just watching everything happen and thinking to himself "man everything going on is really crappy writing".

Just watched it, my friend who had already saw it said it was one of the worst episodes the series has ever had, even show-only watchers hated it, it ruined his mom's day and there was a part where the cgi looked like 3 minutes spent in GIMP.

So that being said I kept expecting for it to be awful and it uh never really happened? Jon randomly fucking leaving the dragon was incredibly dumb and served no purpose and Benjen being a deus ex machina was silly but other than that it could have been worse. The chains out of nowhere and Sansa/Arya/LF is sloppy as well.

Really the whole plotline about them getting a WW just to show Cersei is dumb as fuck anyway so eh

edit: oh yeah and uh water stopped the WW at one point but didn't at another? Ok.

Presumably I could understand that they could survive for a little bit and continue to pull people under but why did they go completely MIA the first time then? It wasn't a great episode and a huge step down from their typical penultimate episodes but it also wasn't even the worst episode of the season so far (3 easily takes the cake for me still, olenna aside)

Freshmaker

I am Korean.

If I was to go with the HUUUURRRR WE AWESOME thing, I would've just had Arya chop off LF's face and go from there.

Instead, we get

- LF having a plot that hinges on Arya not telling Sansa that a dude they both mistrust is being shady.

-LF's plot was to get rid of... Brieanne by way of making Sansa uneasy about her and Arya possibly coming into conflict therefore causing Sansa to send ms Tarth away?

Wat?

So this Sansa which people have randomly decided is now a master strategist and a cunning player of the game of thrones has opted to play straight into LF's plot? Sansa fans have to more than a bit dissapointed with this turn.

Arya makes no sense explaining all the secrets of the faceless men to Sansa of all people. To be a fool is a special thing, but to be a faceless man is another.

Finally LF's plan -if it is just to isolate Sansa and make her depend on him- (which it is) this is a plot that Xanatos would've scoffed at, and that dude time traveled.

fanboi

Banned
It's strange how Drogon dwarfs his siblings to such an extent.

Was the growth of the other two dragons stunted because of how long they were chained up under the pyramid?

Don't think so. Drogo was always the largest by far almost from the beginning.

Freshmaker

I am Korean.

Was the growth of the other two dragons stunted because of how long they were chained up under the pyramid?

Pretty much. They weren't eating much and Drogon was sheeping like a king.

Yes, since Season 2, pretty much every pen-ultimate episode has been a "one set piece" trick. That's series tradition.
That's fine if they weren't consistently getting worse.

I want to say someone complained in this thread or somewhere else that I've read stuff that they hadn't used "dick" on GoT before, so Bronn laughing like an 8 year old boy at the name "Dickon" was dumb, and they literally had a moment tonight where The Hound taught Tormund the word "dick."

Tormund was a wildling. very believable that he hasn't heard of the word since it could have came from the south and/or he isn't up to date on societal jargon

Hazmat

Just watched it, my friend who had already saw it said it was one of the worst episodes the series has ever had, even show-only watchers hated it, it ruined his mom's day and there was a part where the cgi looked like 3 minutes spent in GIMP.

So that being said I kept expecting for it to be awful and it uh never really happened? Jon randomly fucking leaving the dragon was incredibly dumb and served no purpose and Benjen being a deus ex machina was silly but other than that it could have been worse. The chains out of nowhere and Sansa/Arya/LF is sloppy as well.

Really the whole plotline about them getting a WW just to show Cersei is dumb as fuck anyway so eh

edit: oh yeah and uh water stopped the WW at one point but didn't at another? Ok.

Presumably I could understand that they could survive for a little bit and continue to pull people under but why did they go completely MIA the first time then? It wasn't a great episode and a huge step down from their typical penultimate episodes but it also wasn't even the worst episode of the season so far (3 easily takes the cake for me still, olenna aside)

It seems that the extremely cold presence of the WW and/or the Night King eventually froze the water hard enough for the wights to storm across it. There is no good reason why they could fall in and swim up later during the fight and not earlier. Presumably if they can swim they could just, you know, fucking swim to Jon and his crew, ice be damned. I don't think they drown or get hypothermia.

Dragons never stops growing as long as they have food and freedom. Drogon was never chained and he flew around Valyria eating whatever he wanted.

erawsd

He's the first zombie that the children of men made to defend themselves against men.

This reminds me that the character doesn’t (yet?) exist in the books. There’s a Night’s King mentioned but it’s either another character entirely or the book version will have a very different origin story.

Pkaz01

I believe this is mentioned that them being chained doesn't allow them to grow, cant remember if it was books or show.

As an aside I find it interesting that Tyrion talks about Dany not being able to have kids the same episode one of her "kids"' dies. With the whole only death can pay for life bullhshit I'm thinking her dragons don't survive the series, but once they are dead she can have babies.

Season 4 was the last great season imo. Three years ago.

season 4 was the last great overall season but s6 still had the sept go boom and the battle of the bastards and those were solid single episodes

was s6 the one with "weak men will never rule dorne" though? cause lol

Hazmat

Tormund was a wildling. very believable that he hasn't heard of the word since it could have came from the south

Absolutely. It's just funny that I read someone whine about them making a joke about the word "dick" last week not fitting in the world and two foul-mouthed characters literally had a discussion this week where one of them taught the other the word "dick."

It seems that the extremely cold presence of the WW and/or the Night King eventually froze the water hard enough for the wights to storm across it. There is no good reason why they could fall in and swim up later during the fight and not earlier. Presumably if they can swim they could just, you know, fucking swim to Jon and his crew, ice be damned. I don't think they drown or get hypothermia.

but we only saw like two at the surface of the water and they were just dragging tormund down and that was like right after they fell in

idk, I think it's hilarious that cold water stops them as you said

even if there was a shitty explanation for the inconsistency I would have preferred over making us infer things that the poor writing probably didn't intend just to make up for the sloppiness

Top Bottom