• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

*UNMARKED SPOILERS ALL BOOKS* Game of Thrones |OT| - Season 7 - Sundays on HBO

Moff

if cersei doesn't die then dragonbinder needs to be in this, would make for an interesting premise for the final season with all the dragons in different factions.
I would also want Euron to mockingly use it as a penis replacement first and making dirty gestures with it towards Dany, just because it would fit show euron

watershed

Banned
if cersei doesn't die then dragonbinder needs to be in this, would make for an interesting premise for the final season with all the dragons in different factions.
I would also want Euron to mockingly use it as a penis replacement first and making dirty gestures with it towards Dany, just because it would fit show euron
I hate that all of this is a real possibility.

Tiktaalik

Sean T. Collins did a interview with Alan Taylor, the director of the last episode. Turns out the scene with Tormund almost dying was improvised.

When Tormund almost gets killed on the island, that wasn't in the script. That was something we fabricated because we wanted to use the fact that the audience cares about these characters and is sort of expecting somebody to die. I did a calculation thing: ”Well, it's believable Tormund could die here. [Laughs.] No one thinks Jon Snow is going to die in the penultimate episode of season seven." So we didn't go into that a lot. He had some wonderful action, but we didn't put him in peril the way we did Tormund on the island. Even when Jon falls into the ice, I think you sort of think he's coming back again.

The endless, petty nitpicking of the show is raised as well.

People like to nitpick on Twitter, obviously, and a lot of the focus of discussion about the episode was stuff like, ”How did he throw the spear that far? Why didn't he throw it before? How did Jon not die of hypothermia?" As a filmmaker, do you prepare for that kind of response?
Yes. We really do care about believability. There's a tremendous amount of work that goes into making the dragons as believable as possible. It's funny: The most unbelievable things, like lizards as big as 747s that can throw flames, people don't have any concerns about the reality of that. It's the smaller things that people get hung up on. I don't dismiss it, because it's important for us to tell the story in a way that that doesn't get in the way for too many people. I have no problem with the way the Night King throws his spear, and the fact that it does kill a dragon and knocks it out of the sky. I think that's fine. I think haggling over that is ridiculous. I get people's time-frame concerns — you know, ”Gendry must be running really fast! The ravens must be flying really fast!" [Laughs.]

I think if the show was struggling, it would be a drag to have people getting distracted by this stuff, but obviously the show's doing pretty well, and it's working. So when things like this come along, they're plausible impossibilities. You're hoping that even if something doesn't quite add up, if it works within the story for us, it can carry the day. So for me, I think we were aware of the time thing, and I was thinking, Okay, if you say that Gendry is really fast, which I'm willing to say, and if you say ravens are super good at what they do, which I think you can say, and if you say the time on the island is a bit hazy because it's an eternal twilight up there north of the Wall, so we're not really sure how much time has passed, that's an episode where the calculation of minutes fades away and you just sort of enjoy the story. But I did read one review where the guy got his calculator out and he could not get over the raven-speed. [Laughs.]

Violater

Jon's plot armour is starting to get annoying. And the teleportation, at least before there was enough time to fit in the travel needed even if they didn't show it. And the magic water saves, this time featuring freezing temperatures.

How can it be plot armor if there is a story being told and the show writers have been told more or less how the story ends?

How can it be plot armor if there is a story being told and the show writers have been told more or less how the story ends?

Sometimes referred to as "Script Immunity" or a "Character Shield", Plot Armor is when a main character's life and health are safeguarded by the fact that he's the one person who can't be removed from the story. Therefore, whenever Bob is in a situation where he could be killed (or at the least very seriously injured), he comes out unharmed with no logical, In-Universe explanation.

If that doesn't describe Jon I don't know what does.

Turin

Banned
That episode might've sucked but here's a cool squad painting by someone named Wisnu Tan .

tumblr_ov3899H7As1sh566ao1_1280.jpg

TTG

I need a bloodbath this week to cleanse 2 weeks of fuckery. The Mountain should be right in the middle of it. Don't care if the losing side slinks away to plot under a rock somewhere, but there should be one undisputed ruler of Westeros after this season's finale.

I'm not one to cry plot armor(when did this term gain traction anyway, it's dumb), but if everyone walks away from this meeting after we've had no one of import lost at the loot train and that idiot quest beyond the wall? That's not how the game is supposed to be played.

Gigglepoo

I guess my point is, its not like the main points and character progression of the show is being made up as they go along.
GRRM has told D&D who survives and who doesn't no?

I'm not upset that Jon survived, I'm upset that it's impossible to survive the situation they put him in. He should have died of hypothermia. That's bad writing. There are no more stakes and no more consequences. Actions happen because the writers said so instead of following any logic.

At first I thought our undead dragon will be spewing blue fire, but now I think it will be a blue flame of ice. I don't think the wall will come down. I think D&D will have it literally create a ramp of ice up one side of the wall and then down the other side. They will simply use this ramp to walk right over the wall.

ZOONAMI

At first I thought our undead dragon will be spewing blue fire, but now I think it will be a blue flame of ice. I don't think the wall will come down. I think D&D will have it literally create a ramp of ice up one side of the wall and then down the other side. They will simply use this ramp to walk right over the wall.

Aye that's not a bad idea.

A shattered, breached Wall is such a powerful, iconic image... It would play so well on the announcement posters. I sincerely doubt they can resist that... D&D have never been subtle.

_Ryo_

So.. with the Dragons being magical creatures and all, do you think the death of a Dragon would affect Dany's resistance to fire? Like she's now only 2/3rds resistance to fire and if all her dragons died she would lose that resistance?

TankUP

So.. with the Dragons being magical creatures and all, do you think the death of a Dragon would affect Dany's resistance to fire? Like she's now only 2/3rds resistance to fire and if all her dragons died she would lose that resistance?

Her immunity to fire is a show invention (in the books it's a one-time magical event) so who knows if there any rules. I doubt it'll come up.

_Ryo_

Her immunity to fire is a show invention (in the books it's a one-time magical event) so who knows if there any rules. I doubt it'll come up.

I know it's a show invention. I have read the books. It's irrelevant that she isn't fire proof in the books, cause she is 100% fireproof in the show. If the Dragons are magic and are the reason for her being Fire Proof it stands to reason she would be less fire proof if a dragon were to die.

Wildcard: While all the world's armies are gathered jn one spot for the meeting, Night King swoops in with ice dragon and decimates them all. With limited troops, they have no choice but to work together now with the northern houses.

watershed

Banned
Sean T. Collins did a interview with Alan Taylor, the director of the last episode. Turns out the scene with Tormund almost dying was improvised.

The endless, petty nitpicking of the show is raised as well.
Time and distance have no meaning in GOT anymore but the drama still works so I can bear the quick travel.

Time and distance have no meaning in GOT anymore but the drama still works so I can bear the quick travel.
The problem is he didn't actually address any of the questions outside of the quick travel and even then he doesn't address that other than saying "lol there are dragons who cares"

Arkeband

Banned
It's basically lazy whataboutism - you point out that the internal logic of the show is being flagrantly stomped on, and then they point at dragons and say "well those are fake so where's your outrage."

Because dragons still have a set of rules, like how they breath fire and can fly, yet can't fire lasers out of their eyes and don't have poop that is edible, delicious and nutritious.

Much like how the people in Game of Thrones are humans so they need to abide by certain sets of rules, basic human biology being one of them, where they should succumb to hypothermia after being submerged in freezing water in arctic temperatures, like another human did during the same fucking episode and he didn't even go in the water.

Goddamn dipshit directors and their writers making millions of dollars while being complete morons pisses me off.

Violater

I'm not upset that Jon survived, I'm upset that it's impossible to survive the situation they put him in. He should have died of hypothermia. That's bad writing. There are no more stakes and no more consequences. Actions happen because the writers said so instead of following any logic.

No he should have stayed dead when he got stabbed in the heart, but the lord of light has a plan for old aunty fucker jon snow you see, so strap in and enjoy the ride ;)

The whole Jon being left behind thing felt pointless anyways since he made it back in the same episode not minutes later and recovered. No reason he shouldn't have escaped with the rest of them. Seemed like it was put there to kill off Benjen.

Gigglepoo

No he should have stayed dead when he got stabbed in the heart, but the lord of light has a plan for old aunty fucker jon snow you see, so strap in and enjoy the ride ;)

He did die in the mutiny, though, and was brought back.

So you're buying into my theory that Jon died in this episode, was resurrected (by the NK this time), and was only able to cross the wall because the wildings helped him?

Volgarth

Jon not dying didn't bother me as much as Tormund. We clearly saw the rando characters get wasted in seconds when they were swarmed by wights. Tormund surviving that was complete nonsense.

It seems to me that Dan, and Dave have forgotten what helped make this show great. No character was safe. They were no afraid to kill off people that GRRM still has alive in the books. Now it seems they want to save all the major deaths for the very last episode of season 8 just to go out with a bang.

The whole Jon being left behind thing felt pointless anyways since he made it back in the same episode not minutes later and recovered. No reason he shouldn't have escaped with the rest of them. Seemed like it was put there to kill off Benjen.
They really should have Benjen pop up earlier. Have him come in and kill the bear. Then sacrifice himself so the others can get away on the dragon. At least he would have some screen time and not literally die half a minute after he shows up.

TTG

But this way Dany has first hand proof that Jon is the highlander.

THAT was the real mistake. Kill him or don't, the minute you start resurrecting people all rules go out the window. Why does Jon even need a zombie for proof? I was stabbed 50 times, here are the scars, and check it out, still kicking.

Violater

So you're buying into my theory that Jon died in this episode, was resurrected (by the NK this time), and was only able to cross the wall because the wildings helped him?
Lol no that's too crazy.

It gave Daney a chance to contemplate what she missed out on.

KHlover

Banned

Caitlyn travelled from Winterfell to King's Landing by ship in a few in-universe days, why wouldn't Danaerys be able to cover a larger distance by dragon a bit faster? Sometimes it seems as if many people take the travel from Winterfell to King's Landing as the basis for how fast travelling is in GoT (not arguing against your post here, just a general observation), even though that was specifically mentioned to be progressing slowly because they had the king and his vassals as entourage, as well as a host of other issues.

TTG

By the way, one week they go for an epic moment when Jon is petting a dragon and Dany has a "oh that's my guy" look on her face, then next week a dozen dudes and a zombie nonchalantly pile on the same dragon. Giddy up!

By the way, one week they go for an epic moment when Jon is petting a dragon and Dany has a "oh that's my guy" look on her face, then next week a dozen dudes and a zombie nonchalantly pile on the same dragon. Giddy up!

I think there's a difference between the dragon respecting Jon to let it pet it's face and Drogon reading Dany's mind that they're on a rescue mission and they need to GTFO. I mean they don't really explain how Drogon just knows what to do but that would be my reason.

Volgarth

Yeah, my guess is they'll pull this out to reveal to Dany and others that "hey he's a targaryen??". Iirc Jon burned his hand in the books, did that happen in the show too?

Jon burned his hand in the show. When he saved Mormont from the Wight with the oil lamp.

TTG

I think there's a difference between the dragon respecting Jon to let it pet it's face and Drogon reading Dany's mind that they're on a rescue mission and they need to GTFO. I mean they don't really explain how Drogon just knows what to do but that would be my reason.

Drogon is the meekest, most obsequious horsey in the barn. Brother goes face first through some ice and he just sits there waiting for everyone to jump on board.

I'm not looking forward to Euron's role in the next episode. He's been such a stupid cheat code this whole season. I didn't see him in the episode preview which leads me to suspect that he plays a role in Cersei's inevitable trap. I hope I'm wrong.

You hope you're wrong but imagine if he's not in next episode other than to do some moronic grinning at the Dragonpit. Or not in it at all. The character has been a waste.

Jon burned his hand in the show. When he saved Mormont from the Wight with the oil lamp.

I imagine that you have to be a full Targaryen to become immune to it

wait

shouldn't viserys have been immune to the molten heat from the melted gold? and then he'd just have a hardened golden helmet? who knows

wait

shouldn't viserys have been immune to the molten heat from the melted gold? and then he'd just have a hardened golden helmet? who knows

Yeah, Dany made note of that. "He was not a dragon. Fire cannot kill a dragon." So who really knows how that fire immunity works.

wait

Plenty of full targs bruned themselves to death. Dany's was an actual miracle, not anything normal.

Top Bottom