• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

*UNMARKED SPOILERS ALL BOOKS* Game of Thrones |OT| - Season 7 - Sundays on HBO

jfkgoblue

That's not my point, my point is that I find it impossible it is a budget issue, it's a writing decision and it's awful.

So I guess we agree :p basically fuck D&D.

Oh I was just saying how it could be perceived as such.

It honestly doesn't bother me all that much, I still enjoy the show immensely, even if it is a dumbed down version of ASOIAF, but keep in mind, the series was written to be unadaptable for a visual medium, and also the fact that GRRM can't write consistently at all. I don't think they have done that terrible a job at adapting it even with the missteps like Dorne. A lot of people disliked season 1, and season 1 was very close to AGOT in its adaptation. Some choices had to be made, and with them discarding Jon and Arya's warging ability, it just doesn't make sense for the direwolves to play as much a part of the show as the books.

With that said, the fact that they eliminated that part of those two characters skill set is disappointing though. I think it was honestly the biggest mistake of all the mistakes that they made. Fucking up Dorne or Talisa Stark didn't really matter all that much in the long run, but removing an intregal part of two central characters just so Bran is seen as more "special" was stupid.

We see some random dude turn into the Night King in the show.

GOT605_COF-make-the-Night-King.jpg

Kinda OT, but this scene bothered me a bit: this vision is meant to be from "pre-historic times" within the show, but from what we see of his appearance, he looks like any other character in the series.

Being one of the First Men, I was expecting a big ol' beard and caveman-esque rags. Weird nitpick, I know.

Kinda OT, but this scene bothered me a bit: this vision is meant to be from "pre-historic times" within the show, but from what we see of his appearance, he looks like any other character in the series.

Being one of the First Men, I was expecting a big ol' beard and caveman-esque rags. Weird nitpick, I know.

yeah you know what, I thought I was the only one thinking about that. It would've felt more authentic and less "lazy" if (I dunno bout the beard lol) but looked more like a cro-magnon type of deal. And some other sound that means "no" instead of yelling "noooooooooo!"

jfkgoblue

I think it plays into that all the stuff they claim happened 8,000 years ago didn't actually happen nearly that long ago

jfkgoblue

they claimed it happened a longer time ago than it did? who is they?
The maesters. Its heavily implied in the books that the Long Night didn't happen 8,000 years ago but much more recently. I.e. Sam discovering that there hasn't actually been 998 Lord Commanders of the Night Watch.

The maesters. Its heavily implied in the books that the Long Night didn't happen 8,000 years ago but much more recently. I.e. Sam discovering that there hasn't actually been 998 Lord Commanders of the Night Watch.
oh I see, so the maesters, or at least the citadel maesters, are fucking hiding something

or they have their history wrong

Fercho

oh I see, so the maesters, or at least the citadel maesters, are fucking hiding something

or they have their history wrong

They have this sinister aura since the start (for me), it will be awesome that it turns out that they are helping the white walkers somehow..

MaGlock

I assume it's more a play of how history can't truly be trusted. Especially since its normally written by the victors. As far as the series goes massive inconsistencies as far as the stories of old

yeah you know what, I thought I was the only one thinking about that. It would've felt more authentic and less "lazy" if (I dunno bout the beard lol) but looked more like a cro-magnon type of deal. And some other sound that means "no" instead of yelling "noooooooooo!"

Cro-magnon white walkers would have looked goofy.

They have this sinister aura since the start (for me), it will be awesome that it turns out that they are helping the white walkers somehow..
not all of them though. qyburn for sure, creepy ass old man, pycelle was kind of a creeper too. but maester luwin, maester aemon, maester whoever-it-was serving the boltons, and the maesters in the telltale games all seemed benevolent to me.
Cro-magnon white walkers would have looked goofy.
nah. maybe their clothes might have looked goofy but the dude was shirtless anyway, and the night king got himself new clothes.

edit: the bald guy is the cromagnon

https://youtu.be/toBWYvtobH0?t=47m54s

duckroll

Doesn't seem likely. The maesters hate dragons and magic. They won't team up with evil zombies.

Erm. Weren't the maesters the first to open their gates and acknowledge Aegon because they recognized that the war was lost but didn't want him to destroy the Citadel and all the knowledge?

Gigglepoo

Erm. Weren't the maesters the first to open their gates and acknowledge Aegon because they recognized that the war was lost but didn't want him to destroy the Citadel and all the knowledge?

Marwyn tells Sam, "say nothing of prophecies or dragons, unless you fancy poison in your porridge." Maybe they hate dragons because of Aegon the Conquerer?

I think the reality of incest is kinda exaggerated in asoiaf, right?

In reality, if someone was born from centuries of being inbred, wouldn't the baby be extremely unhealthy and not able to make it in life?

Gnome

In reality, if someone was born from centuries of being inbred, wouldn't the baby be extremely unhealthy and not able to make it in life?

The Targaryen family line is filled with these kind of issues in the books. The Mad King being the most prominent example with his mental instability. Either way, GRRM has I believe gone on record saying his world has it's own rules for genetics or something.

They have advanced, albeit at a much slower pace to real medieval Europe. The first men had bronze weapons, whereas the Andals had steel. Technological advancement is going to be pretty hamstrung in Westeros though when you've wars, dragons and white walkers fucking shit up. The main reason both ASOIAF and LOTR get around technological advancement in comparison to actual Europe is that Europe didn't have magic.

Not to mention winters that last years would ruin agricultural growth and kill off a lot of people.

The Targaryen family line is filled with these kind of issues in the books. The Mad King being the most prominent example with his mental instability. Either way, GRRM has I believe gone on record saying his world has it's own rules for genetics or something.
right, so in in asoiaf's planet earth, homo sapiens' sexual reproduction are more phenotypically tolerant of inbreeding :p

edit: I used to think it was something scientific about asoiaf's planet earths long winters and summers, but I heard it's a magical thing.

Speevy

Banned

The baby would be more likely to inherit undesirable traits like white hair and evil.

Speevy

Banned
I have a brief question. Please don't ban me.

Note: Any leak discussion is prohibited in the thread and bannable. This includes linking to sources, vague hints, posting spoilers outright, etc... Find somewhere else on the internet to have this conversation if it appeals to you.

Don't you think both of those topics for this season and for last season should have been instantly locked?

Speevy

Banned
I've never studied inbreeding because it sounds so disgusting to me, but my understanding was always that people need to breed with those who have strong genes so as to have children who are less susceptible to diseases and abnormalities.

But "keeping it in the family" makes it so that the likelihood of developing diseases greater because both parents have the bad genes.

I've never studied inbreeding because it sounds so disgusting to me, but my understanding was always that people need to breed with those who have strong genes so as to have children who are less susceptible to diseases and abnormalities.

But "keeping it in the family" makes it so that the likelihood of developing diseases greater because both parents have the bad genes.

i also heard something along the lines of, the closer the genes of the two parents are, the closer the offspring is to being of asexual reproduction.

Cvie

I think everyone except Dorne was already conquered by the time they got to oldtown. Aegon had to head north to meet the Starks army before all of the southern lords ahad bowed but Highgarden was already his

When did this happen?
Edit: Nevermind, I've found the passage. I mean Dawn Age and Age of Heroes were bronze age or earlier civilizations, such a long time ago, records are bound to be lost or were inaccurate.

fantomena

GRRM has stated that the stories about both what happened during the long night and when it happened are unclear. Also, the stories were written long time after the long night happened.

Supposedly in Israel they get very detailed episode descriptions

"Dany reaches Dragonstone and the rumor spreads through Westeros. Her advisors advise her to ally herself with Jon snow. Cersei prepares herself for the confrontation with Dany. Samwell tries to cure Jorah. Arya discovers the Starks rule Winterfell"

Jeez. Must be tons of fun for them by the time they get to the finale...

Cersei is killed by Arya posing as Jaime. Dany and Jon get it on while Tyrion, drunk, watches through a peephole. Euron is killed by Arya posing as Cersei. The Hound explains to Beric and Thoros that they're a couple of twats. Bran is killed by Arya, posing as Meera. Sansa and Littlefinger get it on while Davos, sober, watches through a peephole. The Night King, after unknowingly eating several "Wight Pies", is killed by Arya posing as Bran.

jfkgoblue

Jeez. Must be tons of fun for them by the time they get to the finale...

Cersei is killed by Arya posing as Jaime. Dany and Jon get it on while Tyrion, drunk, watches through a peephole. Euron is killed by Arya posing as Cersei. The Hound explains to Beric and Thoros that they're a couple of twats. Bran is killed by Arya, posing as Meera. Sansa and Littlefinger get it on while Davos, sober, watches through a peephole. The Night King, after unknowingly eating several "Wight Pies", is killed by Arya posing as Bran.
Ok I laughed at that.

99% of Melisandre's "magic" is just fancy illusions, she actually has done very few magical things.

Oops double post
she does magic things every day wearing that stupid necklace. she gave birth to a demon. she brought a man back to life. and we don't know what she could've done with the wildfire if she was with stannis at the battle of blackwater bay, or what she could've done with gendry's blood.

jfkgoblue

she does magic things every day wearing that stupid necklace. she gave birth to a demon. she brought a man back to life. and we don't know what she could've done with the wildfire if she was with stannis at the battle of blackwater bay, or what she could've done with gendry's blood.
Like what? The only magical thing the necklace had done is keep her looking young and prevented her from being poisoned. (That could have easily been a trick as well as she obviously knew he poisoned the wine.(

She literally says that most of her magic is a trick.

Like what? The only magical thing the necklace had done is keep her looking young and prevented her from being poisoned. (That could have easily been a trick as well as she obviously knew he poisoned the wine.(

She literally says that most of her magic is a trick.
that's why i called it stupid. but yeah the wine too, she drank it and was okay.

plus we don't know how she would've helped out stannis at blackwater, or what she could've done with gendry's blood

Brakke

Banned
Mel doesn't do any magic, brehs. The Lord of Light does the magic.

An inquisitor will be dispatched to deal with your heresy forthwith.

Speevy

Banned
"I know what you're thinking. Since when does Lord Walder give us two feasts within the same fortnight?"

POISON! EVERYONE RUN!

"Oh, shit. He totally did that before."

Top Bottom