• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

*UNMARKED SPOILERS ALL BOOKS* Game of Thrones |OT| - Season 7 - Sundays on HBO

bDoB4fG.jpg

Jorah still at it when penning his last words.

Sure there are a few minor changes that were a little improvement, but the big changes were all for the worst. Talisa Stark was a terrible change because it ruined Robb's character on the show and the parallel it was supposed to draw with his father for being so honorable it cost him his head. In the show he just comes off as a selfish asshole who just had to get married for "true love".

The Greyjoy changes were just awful and don't get me started on Dorne.
what changes happened with the Greyjoys and Dorne? Who did Robb marry in the book? I heard she was a Lannister spy.
GRRM openly admits he felt he messed up things like character ages, sizes, distance, time etc when he first wrote the books.
distances too? so then what, his earth shrank?

Brakke

Banned
what changes happened with the Greyjoys and Dorne? Who did Robb marry in the book? I heard she was a Lannister spy.

There's really too much to cover. In the books, Doran isn't such a putz. He had a long-term plan to ally with the Targaryens and wreck the Lannisters. He sends his son off to marry Dany (he gets roasted by dragons, the useless git). There are a couple more factions in Dorne: instead of killing Myrcella Lannister, one tries to assert the Dornish tradition of women being allowed to inherit and thereby proclaim Myrcella Queen after Joff dies, instead of Tommen. There's also this dude Darkstar, who is of the night.

Iron Islands similarly have more factions. There's Yara (called Asha) and Euron but then there's Victarion, Euron's brother who's a berserker lunatic (one of his arms gets turned into lava?) and then Damp Hair, the high priest of the Drowned God who sort of conspires against Euron calling him godless. Book-Euron instead of being a jolly pirate is spookier in the books. He's deep into magic and sorcery and he has relics from Old Valyria and the crew of his ship all have their tongues cut out so they can't talk about him.

John Dunbar

correct about everything
one of the reasons why it takes martin so long to write the winds of winter is his crippling depression resulting from the negative reception to darkstar.

There's really too much to cover. In the books, Doran isn't such a putz. He had a long-term plan to ally with the Targaryens and wreck the Lannisters. He sends his son off to marry Dany (he gets roasted by dragons, the useless git). There are a couple more factions in Dorne: instead of killing Myrcella Lannister, one tries to assert the Dornish tradition of women being allowed to inherit and thereby proclaim Myrcella Queen after Joff dies, instead of Tommen. There's also this dude Darkstar, who is of the night.

Iron Islands similarly have more factions. There's Yara (called Asha) and Euron but then there's Victarion, Euron's brother who's a berserker lunatic (one of his arms gets turned into lava?) and then Damp Hair, the high priest of the Drowned God who sort of conspires against Euron calling him godless. Book-Euron instead of being a jolly pirate is spookier in the books. He's deep into magic and sorcery and he has relics from Old Valyria and the crew of his ship all have their tongues cut out so they can't talk about him.
damn, I knew they changed Yara's name and that show Euron got a little nerf'd but those are some pretty big differences. It's interesting you say that there were factions in Dorne because a while ago I used to think if they split Dorne into factions like the Ironborn that would've been better too, instead of the shit storyline we got with them

btrboyev

I really can't see how Jorah will be in any sort of fit condition post-treatment, Sam is basically flaying the man. Even if it's like a wart that can be removed and treated, the sheer amount of tissue that Sam would have to cut away just has to leave serious lasting damage to Jorah.

I thought he was just cutting a large section off to run tests or use that piece for the antidote. I wouldn't think it all needed to be cut off.

The bastille already existed in the show itself when they defended the wall against giants. It's fucking dumb as hell. The ancient, completely neglected, and openly mocked night's watch was battlements right there on the wall and make an incredible shot, like a fucking mile away, manned by the rejected and the criminal.

It's just fucking lazy. But whatever, they wasted like 1/15 of the entire runtime to show a eunuch giving a pointless character head. It's becoming more of a typical HBO show by the episode, it's becoming too easy to spot the filler. That shit was like a scene from a high budget Starz show.

jfkgoblue

distances too? so then what, his earth shrank?
Kind of, she was a daughter of an old Lannister bannerman, a very old house, but not a powerful one at all.

It's generally accepted that her mother(a woman from Volantis iirc) brokered a deal with Tywin to get her to sleep with Robb and get him to break his promise with the Freys(which was obviously successful). She also secretly gave her daughter moon tea (birth control in the books) to prevent Robb from profitable heir.

It still pains me to this day that they cut Arienne from the show... like how?

Kind of, she was a daughter of an old Lannister bannerman, a very old house, but not a powerful one at all.

It's generally accepted that her mother(a woman from Volantis iirc) brokered a deal with Tywin to get her to sleep with Robb and get him to break his promise with the Freys(which was obviously successful). She also secretly gave her daughter moon tea (birth control in the books) to prevent Robb from profitable heir.

but...this girl still dies?

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I thought he was just cutting a large section off to run tests or use that piece for the antidote. I wouldn't think it all needed to be cut off.

Nope, Sam said he had to remove all of the infected tissue.

she wasn't at the red wedding???

Jeyne Westerling did not attend because he knew it would offend the Freys to bring her.

Nope, Sam said he had to remove all of the infected tissue.

Jeyne Westerling did not attend because he knew it would offend the Freys to bring her.

Nope, they didn't think it would be wise to provoke Walder with the woman Robb spurned him for.

Why would anyone be stupid enough to take the wife who represents his broken promise to a wedding? That would just flout Robb's betrayal in Frey's face.

that's a pretty huge departure from the red wedding depicted on the show.

I don't think the point of the greyscale cure was to be mysterious. They kept the tome locked away because it's an obscure disease that killed the last maester who tried to cure it and thus wanted to discourage others (especially trainees) from becoming contaminated.

Gigglepoo

that's a pretty huge departure from the red wedding depicted on the show.

There are a lot of moments in the show that are basically what happened in the books (like the Red Wedding) but are still pretty damn different. That's why I'm not at all concerned about spoiling the books. Sure, Jon will come back, but it won't be the same, right? Though it will be mighty hard to make Hold the Door as impactful as the show did. That was some damn fine filmmaking. But there will still be other elements surrounding that reveal that were absent from the show. It's just how adaptations work.

I don't think the point of the greyscale cure was to be mysterious. They kept the tome locked away because it's an obscure disease that killed the last maester who tried to cure it and thus wanted to discourage others (especially trainees) from becoming contaminated.

I'm getting my canons confused: Was it the book or the show that maesters all across Westeros went to Dragonstone to cure Shireen? Because that was certainly presented as a mystery.

Brakke

Banned
Yeh Arianne is basically sexposition, the character. She lays about naked, scheming away pretty often.

Anyway changing Dorne for the show made sense because every book storyline involving Dorne goes nowhere fast. The Martells are a bunch of incompetent rubes who coulda won something if they'd ever just talked to one another. What Dorne changed to... was also bad tho. So. Oops!

ryseing

Yeh Arianne is basically sexposition, the character. She lays about naked, scheming away pretty often.

Anyway changing Dorne for the show made sense because every book storyline involving Dorne goes nowhere fast. The Martells are a bunch of incompetent rubes who coulda won something if they'd ever just talked to one another. What Dorne changed to... was also bad tho. So. Oops!

Doran is a badass incompetent rube though beneath his weakened exterior.

Vengeance. Fire and blood.

Still gives me chills.

And no Dorkstar/Quentin is a darn shame, if only for the missed meme opportunities.

Gigglepoo

I like Dorne....

I still remember Mallory Rubin on a podcast for Grantland before Season 5. When asked which new characters would everyone fall in love with (like Oberyn Martell the season before), she said the Sand Snakes. And she wasn't wrong. The Sand Snakes should have been awesome. Dorne is great in the books even though we haven't seen where the storylines are headed yet.

Brakke

Banned
Yeah don't get me wrong, Doran gives some great speeches and I was pulling for him. I thought Siddig would've been great for it too.

Except for the godawful fights and the emphasis on the Dornish brood of bitches, I did like the show sending Jaime to Dorne. Got to bro out with Bron, got to have a scene with one of his kids, got to have a fight (in the books he's only sparred with Payne since losing his arm, right?).

dabig2

The most interesting plot line related to Dorne is the one that we barely know anything of - the sand snake "playing a game" and posing as a maester-in-training at the Citadel. I want to know more about her deal and, of course, the faceless man assassin there.

Though I did like some of Dorne in the books. I like Arianne and I enjoyed some of Quentyn's travels and utter failures.

jfkgoblue

I really liked how she kept thinking (and thus the reader) that Doran was out to get her and deny her Dorne, but in the end he revealed a master plan all along.

I noted my dislike for that scene a couple days back. Cutting the stuff off with a scalpel and applying ointment does not sound to me like the kind of medically advanced treatment that could only be found in some ultra-rare tome hidden in the bowels of world's great temple of knowledge. Seems to me that such a treatment would be the first thing anyone who can count to potato would attempt...

IIRC, he asks the guy measter an he says "the dude who wrote that book died of the disease"
I would also imagine in the pristine conditions they all live in, cutting off what looks like about an inch of flesh off of about 70% of your upper body MAY just lead to an infection that kills you. Not even mentioning the agony of it all.

ryseing

I read the books and I literally could not tell you who that is or what she (?) did, so that's how!

Sultry Dornish princess, made that Kingsguard fall in love with her and tried to start a rebellion to put Myrcella on the throne.

Yeah, she has several PoV chapters so she's kinda hard to forget.

Brakke

Banned
For as much as the show's been coy about lesbians lately, it's pretty striking that we haven't had anything close to a proper babe-on-babe relationship. Books are chock-full of Dany boning down with hand maids and Cersei getting her carpet munched.

If anything comes back from the books, let it be the Myrish Swamp lady.

jfkgoblue

For as much as the show's been coy about lesbians lately, it's pretty striking that we haven't had anything close to a proper babe-on-babe relationship. Books are chock-full of Dany boning down with hand maids and Cersei getting her carpet munched.

If anything comes back from the books, let it be the Myrish Swamp lady.
It's weird, they make Dany completely straight in the show, while making the completely straight Asha, bisexual on the show. It's fulfilling a stereotype that "tough girls like girls" IMO.

LordKasual

Banned

something tells me this is pre-antibiotics, so he's probably dead either way

unless magic

The bastille already existed in the show itself when they defended the wall against giants. It's fucking dumb as hell. The ancient, completely neglected, and openly mocked night's watch was battlements right there on the wall and make an incredible shot, like a fucking mile away, manned by the rejected and the criminal.

It's just fucking lazy. But whatever, they wasted like 1/15 of the entire runtime to show a eunuch giving a pointless character head. It's becoming more of a typical HBO show by the episode, it's becoming too easy to spot the filler. That shit was like a scene from a high budget Starz show.

damn bro, calm down

i enjoyed that scene

Top Bottom