• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

*UNMARKED SPOILERS ALL BOOKS* Game of Thrones |OT| - Season 7 - Sundays on HBO

Maybe the post about Valyria is hinting at one of the prequals getting greenlit will be about Valyria.
With Linda and Elio as the showrunners.

Maybe the post about Valyria is hinting at one of the prequals getting greenlit will be about Valyria.
With Linda and Elio as the showrunners.
Wooooooooo

4kuJe72.jpg

Real Hero

'To a certain degree, also, it’s so intertwined, tragically and unfortunately, with the character histories. Daenerys doesn’t get to where she is unless she’s sold as a child bride, effectively a slave.

And I should point out, and you probably know this if you’ve read the books and watched the show, Daenerys’ wedding night is quite different than it was portrayed in the books. Again, indeed, we had an original pilot where the part of Daenerys was recast, and what we filmed the first time, when Tamzin Merchant was playing the role, it was much more true to the books. It was the scene as written in the books. So that got changed between the original pilot and the later pilot. You’d have to talk to David and Dan about that.'

you know shit like this really bothers him deep down

Gigglepoo

'To a certain degree, also, it’s so intertwined, tragically and unfortunately, with the character histories. Daenerys doesn’t get to where she is unless she’s sold as a child bride, effectively a slave.

And I should point out, and you probably know this if you’ve read the books and watched the show, Daenerys’ wedding night is quite different than it was portrayed in the books. Again, indeed, we had an original pilot where the part of Daenerys was recast, and what we filmed the first time, when Tamzin Merchant was playing the role, it was much more true to the books. It was the scene as written in the books. So that got changed between the original pilot and the later pilot. You’d have to talk to David and Dan about that.'

I definitely got the impression he wasn't happy about that change. It didn't even seem like he was let in on it when they reshot the scene.

jett

D-Member
- Time interview: George R. R. Martin on the One Game of Thrones Change He 'Argued Against'

Worth a read. I'll do some pull quotes later if I have time.

So what's this about

And Jon Snow, too, is drained by the experience of coming back from the dead on the show.

Right. And poor Beric Dondarrion, who was set up as the foreshadowing of all this, every time he's a little less Beric. His memories are fading, he's got all these scars, he's becoming more and more physically hideous, because he's not a living human being anymore. His heart isn't beating, his blood isn't flowing in his veins

Is Jon Snow simply a reanimated corpse at this point?

Oh and GRRM still thinks he's getting this whole shit done in seven books. Good luck with that bud.

Gin-Shiio

Littlefinger is an absolute delight. I hope he'll not get shorthanded. He had a lot of build-up, but I am not sure what it still can amount to this close to the end.

Gigglepoo

Littlefinger is an absolute delight. I hope he'll not get shorthanded. He had a lot of build-up, but I am not sure what it still can amount to this close to the end.

Littlefinger is a fictional representation of the writers. Martin had a complex web of intrigue moving all the pieces and that's who his Littlefinger is. D&D are more straightforward and often skip over character motivations and ramifications and that's who their Littlefinger is.

I don't expect much from him because he's cratered as a character since they went off book.

I always assumed that Varys and Littlefinger would be there in the end, in some capacity, but now I'm not so sure about the latter.

NeoGiff

I always assumed that Varys and Littlefinger would be there in the end, in some capacity, but now I'm not so sure about the latter.

Sansa will surpass him and become the new Littlefinger. The new small council as of season 8:

Robert (Monarch) = Dany
Ned (Hand) = Jon
Barristan (Lord Commander) = Brienne
Littlefinger (Coin/Whispers) = Sansa
Varys (Coin/Whispers) = Tyrion
Pycelle (Grand Maester) = Sam
Stannis (Ships) = Davos

The Varys and Littlefinger roles are interchangeable. Also, Arya will assume a Bronn-like role, whilst Bran will be the first Eye of the King/Queen.

Burt

The information in that Time article about
Cat and Berric being fire wights
was really unexpected.

I impulsively clicked the spoiler there earlier and only caught
"Cat and Berric wire fights" before I insta-noped out of the thread thinking "...Cat's coming back? And they're going to have wire-fu in the show?? I didn't want to know any of that!"

Then I read the Time article.

"Oh. Oh. Fire wights. That makes much more sense."

But yeah, that's some cool stuff. Never thought of it like that.

What happened in the book that's different from the show portrayal

Iksenpets

Banned
I impulsively clicked the spoiler there earlier and only caught
"Cat and Berric wire fights" before I insta-noped out of the thread thinking "...Cat's coming back? And they're going to have wire-fu in the show?? I didn't want to know any of that!"

Then I read the Time article.

"Oh. Oh. Fire wights. That makes much more sense."

But yeah, that's some cool stuff. Never thought of it like that.

Checking in on this thread now that it's back from off-season exile to community and can't stop laughing at this idea.

What happened in the book that's different from the show portrayal

Book Drogo gets explicit consent from Dany for wedding-night sex. On the show, Dany repeatedly says no and Drogo rapes her. If I recall, Emilia instigated the change because she couldn't get a sense of Dany's motivations in consenting, and so they all agreed that the scene worked better with the refused consent. The show gives all the characters much more modern sexual politics, and Dany's way older too, so it makes some sense that she wouldn't consent just because she's married now and that's what you have to do like she does in the books.

Jetman

- Time interview: George R. R. Martin on the One Game of Thrones Change He 'Argued Against'

Worth a read. I'll do some pull quotes later if I have time.

Awesome interview. Thanks for the link. I don't think I've ever heard Martin talk about the origins of certain book characters before, and how that one in particular draws some influence from Tolkien. The point where Martin started to be a bit disappointed with the show, mirrored my own, specifically with the lack of that character.
I think that confirms in my mind IF book Jon Snow comes back to life, he'll be wildly different than show Jon Snow.

Gigglepoo

It's pretty clear that Time interviewer hadn't read the books or s/he wouldn't use Jon's resurrection as an example of real consequences.

Gigglepoo

Well yes but the whole conversation was about how cheap resurrections usually are, so the interviewer saw an opportunity to extract some scoop about the Jon situation.

Ah, that makes sense. Martin is pretty good at not letting slip details he doesn't want know but it was worth a shot. He might have even gotten a long sigh or headshake in how the show handled the resurrection.

Jetman

One of the worst things GRRM did in the books for me so I'm on the other side of the fence. Zombie Cat is ridiculous, and frankly pointless so far.

Pointless? Is this considered the "Unsullied" thread? I'd hate to derail this with Stoneheart talk but
seeing as she has a strong rebellious and militarily useful faction backing her, is fucking immortal to an extent, at the end of one of the books kills a major character from the show (speculation), has an interesting and rightfully angry perspective on that character and many others, can drive some serious drama from the entire Stark family if and when they find out she's still "alive", and from what little has been written about her make her out to be a bad ass (especially when it comes to killing Freys) all of that makes her FAR more than pointless compared to MANY characters in the show
Your statement literally makes no sense.

Agreed. I'm only a book skimmer, but I don't see anything interesting in bringing Cat back.

Well, maybe you should read the books instead of..."skimming" them? Do people really do that? Like Game of Thrones is a boring textbook, haha.

Gigglepoo

Even forcing Brianne to choose which of her oaths she'll uphold is important. And that's just one thing Lady Stoneheart has done.

Jetman

Even forcing Brianne to choose which of her oaths she'll uphold is important. And that's just one thing Lady Stoneheart has done.

Exactly, and
I mean the first damn chapter of Winds of Winter could basically have her hang and behead Jamie Lannister. It's obvious he's riding into a trap.

And her story isn't even entirely written yet. It's obvious based on that interview Martin is fond of the character and pissed she isn't in the show. That tells me she has more story coming. And then he even compared what she is, a fire wight, to the name of this entire Ice and Fire saga.

But yeah, she's pointless because "I don't like fantasy in my fantasy because reasons", haha.

Just because she has more story coming doesn't mean that story is necessarily all that interesting or necessary to the plot (especially given the constraints of the show). She has barely featured in the books that have been published so far and having her appear and be overhyped in the show like she has in the books doesn't appeal to me. disclaimer: I don't think Jaime's going to end up dead for a second.

So far I've been perfectly fine having Beric get screen time instead.

cj_iwakura

Uh, do we need to spoil book discussion here?

And yeah, the Stoneheart ship has sailed, sadly. I feel bad more for Catelyn's show form not getting some justice.

duckroll

One of the worst things GRRM did in the books for me so I'm on the other side of the fence. Zombie Cat is ridiculous, and frankly pointless so far.

Well that's only because he introduced the storyline and then proceeded to stop writing books.

Pointless? Is this considered the "Unsullied" thread? I'd hate to derail this with Stoneheart talk but
seeing as she has a strong rebellious and militarily useful faction backing her, is fucking immortal to an extent, at the end of one of the books kills a major character from the show (speculation), has an interesting and rightfully angry perspective on that character and many others, can drive some serious drama from the entire Stark family if and when they find out she's still "alive", and from what little has been written about her make her out to be a bad ass (especially when it comes to killing Freys) all of that makes her FAR more than pointless compared to MANY characters in the show
Your statement literally makes no sense.

Well, maybe you should read the books instead of..."skimming" them? Do people really do that? Like Game of Thrones is a boring textbook, haha.

I find the novels to be badly written, hence boring to read, yes. I skimmed them, starting in the middle of the 3rd one, because I got impatient to find out what would happen after season 3 ended.

Jetman

It's hard to argue that the show is too streamlined for Lady Stoneheart when they still included Euron and Dorne.

Bingo! And Moletown, assorted Wildling drama, Theons attempted breakout by 'Asha', too much Ramsey screentime, etc.
I mean shit, I would have traded a lot of different scenes for some LSH content or scenes with another person who I won't name who's chilling out in
Griffins Roost with the Golden Company.
To me those have potential to be very pertinent to the story. Unless they left them out solely to cater to a lowest common denominator audience who can't deal with "so many characters to remember in this TV show".

To me those have potential to be very pertinent to the story. Unless they left them out solely to cater to a lowest common denominator audience who can't deal with "so many characters to remember in this TV show".

Maybe the fact they weren't included is a hint that they aren't pertinent to the story ("Aegon" being relatively unimportant is likely even in the books, after all), especially since GRRM met with them to discuss where the story was going. Aegon wasn't all that well received after ADWD - he'd fit even worse in the show considering the timing. As for LSH - other than maybe with Brienne's story, there's nothing to guarantee she has much importance at all. Maybe she factors in to a possible revenge plot against Daven Lannister and the Freys, but how much does that add to the story in the show?

As for the commentary about non-book readers - if anything, you'd think that Zombie!Cat would appeal to the supposed lowest denominator, wouldn't you?

Showaddy

Bingo! And Moletown, assorted Wildling drama, Theons attempted breakout by 'Asha', too much Ramsey screentime, etc.
I mean shit, I would have traded a lot of different scenes for some LSH content or scenes with another person who I won't name who's chilling out in
Griffins Roost with the Golden Company.

Pretty sure they cut her because she's an utterly pointless character so far. I'm sure she'll serve a purpose eventually but if George really wanted her in the show he should have got the books out quicker. Which goes for pretty much every other deviation in the show to be honest.

That's certainly the best way to judge literature.

I assume this is snark?

I judge writing by just that, writing. Diction, tone, sentence structure, use of metaphor. In my opinion, GRRM writes like someone who knows the rules of creative writing but doesn't really understand them (for example, he uses repetition all the time, but he doesn't use it effectively). I think he's excellent at world building, which is most of what I love about the series. But coming up with backstory isn't writing.

I would say that overall, the actors on the show are better at acting than GRRM is at writing.

Top Bottom