• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Unpopular opinion (?): Doom Eternal is much less fun than 2016

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life
So I guess I didn't get the item or upgrade that makes punches work? If that's a thing, the game gated it behind a lot of platforming
I am pretty sure it's an item near the beginning of the game that you can't miss.

9:21

Last edited:

Edellus

I find Eternal much more fun than 2016, but when I play Eternal I end up with a tension headache after a while. It's way too hectic.

Just because of that, I think Doom 2016 gives a more enjoyable experience overall, despite not being as fun as Doom Eternal.

BlackTron

I am pretty sure it's an item near the beginning of the game that you can't miss.

Ok, I looked it up. Thanks...doom wiki. It's in the second level. It explained that you need to charge up the blood punch with glory kills, and also that the standard melee attack is garbage taking around 100 punches to put a skeleton into a glory kill state.

So you can one hit kill nearly every enemy with a special attack that needs to be charged up called a blood punch. Not the same

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life
Ok, I looked it up. Thanks...doom wiki. It's in the second level. It explained that you need to charge up the blood punch with glory kills, and also that the standard melee attack is garbage taking around 100 punches to put a skeleton into a glory kill state.

So you can one hit kill nearly every enemy with a special attack that needs to be charged up called a blood punch. Not the same
Do you expect to 1 hit kill punch gaining health and ammo almost everyone "for free"?

Last edited:
I hated eternal. It had good movement and graphics, but the gameplay with limited ammo and weapon usage depicting reloads. Felt like a puzzle game mixed with a shooter. No something I wanted from Doom.

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life
My idea of a doom game is punching shitlet zombies in the face; yours is a deeply intertwined resource ecosystem. Different opinions
Then your idea of Doom is from another dimension/time line as in the OG Doom you can't punch zombies in the face. You need a brass knuckles.

Last edited:

bender

What time is it?
No something I wanted from Doom.

This was my sentiment for 2016. All the collectables and challenges that provided upgrades just killed the pacing for me and while I think the health, ammo, glory kill system is novel, it just isn't what I'm looking for in a Doom game which is a bit of a shame, as I thought the moment to moment combat felt really good.

BlackTron

Them your idea of Doom is from another dimension/time line as not even in the OG Doom you can punch zombies in the face. You need a brass knuckles.

Doomguy wore brass knuckles on his hand in og doom but you didn't need to find the item. That's just how the melee attack looked in that game.

dcx4610

I liked them both but they were different. Ironically, they both mirror the original DOOM and DOOM II.

DOOM and DOOM (2016) were a little bit slower paced and had more horror and exploration. DOOM II/Eternal was fast paced and just had you fighting hordes and hordes of monsters.

bender

What time is it?
Doom eternal all the way. Stuff that came out in 2016 are old man games.
7ecf136a6c7a45d943cb6bd0bc886dce.gif

BlackTron

You don't need to find the item. You can't miss it and can't progress without it.

Are you telling me that og doom did not have punching enemies in the face because doing so required an item from the beginning of the game which cannot be missed and can't be progressed without?

Because oh.

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life
Are you telling me that og doom did not have punching enemies in the face because doing so required an item from the beginning of the game which cannot be missed and can't be progressed without?

Because oh.
I am talking about Eternal.

JoduanER2

Gaf hates Eternal for some reason but gaf is a massive minority so yes you do have a rather unpopular opinion as Eternal is one, if not, the best shooters of all time. Playing and finishing that game on Nightmare is a massive satisfaction in skill just like Sekiro is.
For me Doom Eternal is indeed one of the best shooters of all time, in my top 5 no doubt about it, up there with Half Life 2.

Scotty W

Gold Member
Eternal is EXACTLY what gamers say they want all the time. Bold. Not more of the same. Elite difficulty. Crafted with scientific precision.

Turns out what they want is more triangles moving faster.

Pimpbaa

The load times sucked all the fun out of Doom 2016. I liked Eternal a great deal more but man the DLC was way too hard plus the music wasn’t as good.

Agree with OP, I gave up on Eternal after a few hours only, didn't feel right somehow. Meanwhile, I was hooked on Doom 2016. Played both way after their respective releases: first one in 2022, Eternal in 2023.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
This again? You can 1 hit kill melee almost every enemy, not only skeletons.

But only when you have your Falcon Punch charged up. And you don't want to waste that on simple grunts.

There's so many layers, it gets exhausting to keep track of what's available to use when.

Last edited:

TheSHEEEP

Gold Member
I'm fully with OP on this one.

I like both games, I think they are both at least very good games.
But the way Eternal forces you into that loot pinata dance with very little way of playing how YOU want to play I just don't enjoy.

I always enjoy games more that allow to me to play how I want (within limits, of course) and less those that require me to play one certain way and that's it.
With Eternal, I always felt like "I need to play like this now", never really "I like the way I'm playing right now".
It's just a much less flexible game, which makes it a tighter experience that some enjoy more than others.

And the Super Mario platforming sections can fuck right off, of course.
Not because they'd be difficult (lol, cmon), but because they are jarring the entire flow of the game.

Last edited:

Godot25

Banned
It's tightly designed. It won't allow you to breeze through with just one weapon like Doom 2016 allowed you to do. It's punishing if you won't dance to it's tunes. But on the other hand it's masterfully crafted and balanced. Outside The Ancient Gods Part 1 which was overtuned in my opinion.

Which is better in my opinion. But I can see why many people think that Doom 2016 was better game.

This is very much a popular opinion.

2016 beats the shit out of Eternal. Ridiculously.

The soundtrack, the tone, the combat encounters, the soundtrack, the level design, the weapons themselves, the soundtrack…

2016 locks you into rooms almost every time theres a combat encounter. Plus it has insta death platforming.
I think a lot of you dont remember it very well.

CGNoire

Remember when Doom Guy was just some random badass that showed up and kicked demon ass?

Yeah eternal decided that was too cool, so instead just turned him into some generic super soldier created by angel technology.

Sometimes less is more, with every cutscene that eternal had explaining doomguys origin the less interested I became.

It turned a kick ass avatar of vengeance into some boring generic space marine
Yep lovecraftian tales get worse the more you explain/reveal. This should be common sense.

sigmaZ

Guess it depends why you play to begin with, but there are several things that put me off of Eternal.
On one hand, the gunplay has definitely evolved, offering a more refined experience. However, the game seems to get bogged down with too many systems and menus. I miss the simplicity of just diving into the action. The constant tutorials and added content felt more like a hindrance, breaking the game's rhythm.

What really stood out to me was the shift in storytelling. Unlike 'Doom 2016,' which had a straightforward, gameplay-driven narrative, 'Eternal' tries to take its story more seriously, which, in my opinion, detracts from the essence of 'Doom.'

And the hub world... Boo. It felt way too sprawling and annoying to transverse. It's a stark contrast to the more compact and less intrusive hub in 'Wolfenstein,' which worked much better in my view. (Still I prefer not having hubs most of the time unless there are interesting mini-games, character interactions or base-building)

So, while I appreciate the advancements in gameplay, 'Doom Eternal' seems to have lost some of the raw, action-focused charm that made 'Doom 2016' such a blast for me.

keefged4

Both are amazing, But I find myself going back to 2016 when I have the modern Doom itch. I've finished 2016 many, many more times than Eternal.

MarkyG

I love both, but Eternal needed to have 50% less platforming portions. Otherwise, a solid game.

Last edited:

MacReady13

Doom 2016 is a masterpiece and what we all thought Doom should be in today’s gaming landscape. Eternal was everything we wanted with Doom and then completely fucked up! Eternal is not a very good game at all. Trying to over complicate the simplicity of 2016 for some strange reason.

I have not finished 2016, maybe never will, but I liked Doom3 more and even that was compared to Far Cry and HL2 imho certainly the worse. And I also liked Quake 4 (which was Raven) more than Doom3 since the dumb af either not seeing anything or flashlight but no gun swaperoo was gone. The In Hell mod was much better than the actual D3 game.
I kinda hate Rage which I currently struggle through, but I loved Wolfenstein TNO from Machine games. I guess I like id Tech but practically nothing from id itself so far.

Last edited:

Skifi28

I don't think it's that unpopular. Eternal is a very hit or miss game. I'd also go a step further and say 2016 had a very competent multiplayer that I enjoyed for 100 hours or so and then eternal butchered it.

Danknugz

I have not finished 2016, maybe never will, but I liked Doom3 more and even that was compared to Far Cry and HL2 imho certainly the worse. And I also liked Quake 4 (which was Raven) more than Doom3 since the dumb af either not seeing anything or flashlight but no gun swaperoo was gone. The In Hell mod was much better than the actual D3 game.
I kinda hate Rage which I currently struggle through, but I loved Wolfenstein TNO from Machine games. I guess I like id Tech but practically nothing from id itself so far.
I loved the flashlight in doom3, never had a problem as I just bound it to a key, it did however increase the creepiness and stress of the jump scares. I do think doom3 was the last true doom successor now that I think of it. The imps were way more evolved in the same aesthetic along with other monsters, almost like the same team designed the game and actually had an idea of what made original doom good, imagine that.

It actually did feel like you were in hell or fighting monsters from hell and in a nightmare situation fighting for your survival. Not this corny rave party in hell with RGB lights and rockstar style pre animated execution kills and all this dumb bullshit like bullet points made by devs who took college course in video games.

Last edited:
Top Bottom