• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Unreal Engine 3 new tech demo: Samaritan

commedieu

Banned
I feel like im the only one who feels that while good, the unreal engine doesn't shine as much as the competitions visually stunning engines shine. I'm with the camp that also knows that an unreal engine, out the box, is going to have a certain look to it. Its usually plagued by bloom, and for some reason, normal mapped to hell models/characters. That don't have a balance with the world around them detail wise. I know thats up to the dev, but i feel like when choosing an engine, you're going for a certain look. I've yet to be dazzled by any unreal engine title. The closest would be Arkham Asylum I'd say. But again, you had super detailed models, and the enviro just didn't pack the same punch equally. Lighting is another issue with the engine, it just doesn't seem to be able to pull itself out of its signature lighting look. People are always in awe at some in the dark corridor with a glow in the corner, i'm not. Playing Stalker/Metro/Crysis/Arma, and hell.. even Half Life 2 & Bf2 your eyes have to adjust when you load up an unreal game.

I think its because the games mentioned strive for photoreality, I've yet to see this approached in an Unreal engine title, I can't put my finger on what the requirements are, if its post + hdr or whatever, but its just so shiny and a signature look. I think its the shaders, they are just flat?? Like Skin and wood aren't too far apart from each other specularity\reflection wise. Other engines seem to pull it off. A rock is shaded to be coarse, wood dull, glass looks good, metal looks like metal, you know?

Also, Fool me thrice? Epic hasn't raised the bar visually with any of their own titles, except gears of war 1. And even with gears 1, it never looked like its infamous "screenshots" and the engine never took the form that it was shown to before release, yet they keep getting a pass for under-delivering. Their engine has great toolsets & flexibility, But they themselves haven't pushed it near any of the levels of their Bullshots, which everyone seems to be forgetting? Epic shows big, then releases a good looking, but not visual-hall-of-fame worthy title(s). The pattern of being impressed by screens, then even more so by the dev can be followed for Dice, Crytek(crysis1.. 1 i say!!!), Naughty Dog, Rocksteady, Valve, etc. But Never Epic.

Its a great demo, but Epic and many dev's using this engine to save money aren't going to be spending the money on modelers/texture artists/animators/fx to pull off anything of the quality they are showing. No one is going to keyframe those interactions for an entire game. Theres no reason current games can't look severely close to that without the shadow casting/model/fabric/fx debris detail, and maybe even physx could do the fabric. There really wasn't much there that deferred engines aren't already pulling off. Its cool, the lighting is dark, stuff thats wet looks wet! Theres film grain. Tech demo's are great, but when the delivery is so not impressive, its hard to get excited for these guys. Knowing the effort it would take to put that into a game, is an effort that isn't seen in todays gaming worlds non-exclusive-games. Budget/time eat up that effort I think.

I hope developers do start pouring money into what it takes to make these visuals, but Activision will probably still be selling trillions of copies of a hardly updated COD engine next gen, and thats what most of these devs are looking to do.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
owenfinal5fza.jpg

bullevilbuildingbase4eu5.jpg

bullramfinalheadversioufsp.jpg

http://vicariousgames.blogspot.com/2011/08/awesome-conceptsanimations-from-epics.html

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Sethos said:
So, can we download this somewhere and test it on our own computers or is it purely a teaser tech demo
While it is actually interactive (not with gameplay, but in terms of being able to walk around the environment), they sadly never released a trial version.

antonz

Sethos said:
So, can we download this somewhere and test it on our own computers or is it purely a teaser tech demo
Was purely teaser tech and it required 3 GTX580 Graphics cards and the Nvidia engineers who helped design it said it was still unstable even using 3 graphics cards

Sethos

Banned
Nirolak said:
While it is actually interactive (not with gameplay, but in terms of being able to walk around the environment), they sadly never released a trial version.

antonz said:
Was purely teaser tech and it required 3 GTX580 Graphics cards and the Nvidia engineers who helped design it said it was still unstable even using 3 graphics cards

Damn, shame - Thanks guys.

Wish developers would release more public tech demos :( Although it obviously isn't useful in this case with those requirements but in general.

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
antonz said:

Yeah it was a teaser but they also said with optimization it would easily run on 1 GTX580.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
BigTnaples said:
Yeah it was a teaser but they also said with optimization it would easily run on 1 GTX580.
Yeah, it was thrown together by a skeleton team to in a few month since Gears 3 was devouring the whole of Epic Raleigh's resources.

It'd need notably more work to be any kind of public demo.

Yeah this still seems like a real project that they are working on. I mean they have to be working on something now that the gears trilogy is finished.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Lostconfused said:
Yeah this still seems like a real project that they are working on. I mean they have to be working on something now that the gears trilogy is finished.
Well, CliffyB said they were going to unveil their new IP at GDC in a magazine interview and noted it was being directed by someone who worked on Prototype.

At GDC, Samaritan was unveiled, and the main character has the ability to transform like the guy from Prototype.

I can only imagine this is actually their new IP, though I imagine the final incarnation will be a bit different.

antonz

BigTnaples said:
Nvidia said that was not possible at the degree of detail etc in the demo. They went as far as saying it could take upto 2 generations of graphic card advancement before a single card GPU solution would run samaritan as shown.

Nvidia had a whole page dedicated to Samaritan so they could brag it was an Nvidia thing. I am sure samaritan could be made to run on a single gpu now but it would not be the samaritan as shown in the teaser

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
antonz said:
Nvidia said that was not possible at the degree of detail etc in the demo. They went as far as saying it could take upto 2 generations of graphic card advancement before a single card GPU solution would run samaritan as shown.

Nvidia had a whole page dedicated to Samaritan so they could brag it was an Nvidia thing. I am sure samaritan could be made to run on a single gpu now but it would not be the samaritan as shown in the teaser
I don't think people are actually expecting a point per point recreation of the demo, but rather something with the same general impression.

Like this for example is technically more impressive than most things this gen, but I don't think you'll have a lot of people saying it looks better.

unreal-engine-3-project-untitled-20050418001052671.jpg

antonz said:
That's some noncomital PR speak right there. Sure it's going to take a while for Nvidia to put out a card that can compare in performance to three 580s. So that a single card would be able to run that GDC demo without any changes.

Top Bottom