• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Unreal Engine 4 Thread

pottuvoi

Banned
Try looking for FXAA, TXAA, or something similar. I imagine at the very least they have blurring and temporal effects. Since it's deferred, do they even support MSAA?
They have some form of temporal antialiasing, in trailer which they revealed it looked simply incredible. (fixed most of the specular aliasing.)

Try looking for FXAA, TXAA, or something similar. I imagine at the very least they have blurring and temporal effects. Since it's deferred, do they even support MSAA?

I think low settings turn off reflections and any post processing. Thanks for the uploads anyway. Much appreciated!!

They do both use different post processing effects. The Reflections demo has heavy Chromatic Aberration that causes it I think. The multiplayer demo also has a bit of it, but not as strong.

Also, it can support MSAA since there is a setting for using it within the editor.

I can make all the changes fairly quick, it is the uploading of the files that is the problem.

how noob friendly is this? i'm interested in making games but have very little c++ knowledge. are the tutorials included mostly for new features or include almost all the basics?

I have taken screenshots with and without CA, so I am not going to upload the entire package, will place those screenshots.

I did already uploaded a package where you can control the camera yourself in the Reflections scene though, also enabled it being for distribution and not packaged it in a pak file, so maybe you can do stuff in the config.

Without CA:

With CA:

http://www.mediafire.com/download/uoa1b0ck1mn1fq3/Reflections_Without_Fixed_Camera.7z

EDIT: The changes I made in the build settings also mean you can't open the console window I think, sorry.

how noob friendly is this? i'm interested in making games but have very little c++ knowledge. are the tutorials included mostly for new features or include almost all the basics?

They have an entire series for the Blueprint system, which is basically visually programming, so you can easily start.

cbox

There's apparently a visual node editor called Blueprint that makes it "easy" for artists to code. I watched a few videos and I can see myself getting used to it eventually.

vio

I have taken screenshots with and without CA, so I am not going to upload the entire package, will place those screenshots.

I did already uploaded a package where you can control the camera yourself in the Reflections scene though, also enabled it being for distribution and not packaged it in a pak file, so maybe you can do stuff in the config.

Without CA:

With CA:

http://www.mediafire.com/download/uoa1b0ck1mn1fq3/Reflections_Without_Fixed_Camera.7z

They have an entire series for the Blueprint system, which is basically visually programming, so you can easily start.
Yeah, chromatic abberation is crazy in that second screenshot.
Pretty impressive stuff. The demos ran well even on my GTX 460.

Want to see some more dynamic stuff though
What do you consider well? Looked like around 30fps to me and i have better GPU.

RCSI

There's many settings you can turn on or off under showflag. using the console command. Albeit, there is too many to list and cumbersome to go through. Some of the settings include anti-aliasing, chromatic aberration (listed as cameraimperfections), and others.

I have yet to pay for the monthly subscription, but is there not a list for user settings that come with UE4?

There's many settings you can turn on or off under showflag. using the console command. Albeit, there is too many to list and cumbersome to go through. Some of the settings include anti-aliasing, chromatic aberration (listed as cameraimperfections), and others.

I have yet to pay for the monthly subscription, but is there not a list for user settings that come with UE4?

Probably somewhere, I haven't been able to look too much to the documentation yet. In my latest upload you should be able to access the config files though, maybe there is nice stuff there.

As a user of UE, doesn't the 5% royalty bug you? I mean, knowing that Cryengine and Unity don't have one? And that the subscription is twice the cost of Cryengine's?

AFAIK, CryEngine's license doesn't include source code access. Also, CryEngine's announcement was a reaction to Epic's, which is why we already have UE4 while CryEngine's subscription plan (which also seems to be limited, in some way, to "indies") won't launch until May.

It's also important to note that the license that a $19 monthly payment gets you used to cost nearly $1 million.

Also, if 5% is a problem, they still have other licensing options available.

What would absolutely bug me is working in a system I don't have full source access to. As far as I know I'd pay a lot more for everything else to get that than I do for UE.

Unity doesn't publish source code licensing costs. It's likely in the thousands, and they say it's limited to only a select few.

Epic pretty much table-flipped that whole mentality. It's adapt or die for Unity and the rest now.

Our Uni just got an entire lab funded by Epic. It might be worth seeing if UE4 came with it, I'd love to check out some of that source code.

Just checked the price conversion. For £10 I'd be stupid not to pick this up really.

If it isn't included, talk to your dean about it. The school would pay Epic $20 a month (or £10, I guess), and every PC in the school and every user would be covered.

Yeah, Unity free kinda sucks with the way they divvy up the pro features but they sort of have to incentivize the paid version somehow. Like you say though, at least UE's royalty has come down significantly. They probably should have just eliminated it, though.

It's really surprising to me how many people still want UE4 to be even cheaper.

Animator

Hey Unreal peeps, does anyone know how I can trigger an animation I have done in Maya in UE4 with Blueprints?

I have in maya a test scene of a futuristic door opening by pieces sliding around. I want to trigger that animation in UE4. I know about the beginactoroverlap node for box collider which is probably what I have to use but how do I load a animation into one of those nodes?

In the level design tutorial he used the blueprint editor to animate the glass door opening which is something I hope to never do because that is a pain in the ass to setup and control the timing of.

Hey Unreal peeps, does anyone know how I can trigger an animation I have done in Maya in UE4 with Blueprints?

I have in maya a test scene of a futuristic door opening by pieces sliding around. I want to trigger that animation in UE4. I know about the beginactoroverlap node for box collider which is probably what I have to use but how do I load a animation into one of those nodes?

In the level design tutorial he used the blueprint editor to animate the glass door opening which is something I hope to never do because that is a pain in the ass to setup and control the timing of.

You'd have to put some basic bones in the maya scene and import into unreal as a skeletal mesh, I think.

How empty or full is the current marketplace? Also, most importantly, is it very restrictive towards user generated assets or does Epic appear to be as open to content as Unity's asset store? Unity assets can get accepted into the store within hours.

It's so much more beneficial and time saving to have the variety of shaders, templates, prefabs, etc. that users' contribute because the community knows best what the community wants, so skipping the red tape and getting assets into the marketplace will increase users and decrease dev time.

The more user generated content there is, the less tutorials (time spent by devs) needed by Epic. User-made assets tend to be so much easier and customizable - going by Unity store as example.

Why spend hours figuring out how to make a object-based toon shader, because Unreal 4 just has full screen post effect toon effect, when you can simply drag in userBob's brilliant customizable toon shader from the Marketplace.

So how is the Markteplace and will it be as open to users as Unity's?
I believe the goal is to make it rival Unity's marketplace, but it hasn't actually launched yet, so the Marketplace tab only has some sample stuff Unity made.

It's also interesting to note, and this might warrant a thread in itself, but here is something Tim Sweeney said with regards to modding UE4 games:

Tim Sweeney said:
One of the things that excites us greatly is the prospect of UE4 developers creating moddable games

The intended workflow is that mod makers would obtain UE4 access by subscribing here, getting access to the mainline Epic version of the code and tools. You'd then expose your version of the tools (if they differ from mainline) and the C++ source code (if you choose to share it) with the community via a GitHub fork which is open to current UE4 subscribers you choose to give access.

This workflow works right now and is supported by the EULA. Over time hopefully we can find a more polished approach to redistributing the tools.

The benefit of keeping mods in the UE4 community is the Marketplace providing a way for everyone (indies, mod makers, and even triple-A) teams having access to a stream of new content, and a straightforward means of sharing some/all game code in GitHub via fork.

How's texture pop in going to be for U4 games?

Judging from the level streaming sample, pretty minimal. Devs get a lot of control over exactly how streaming is used.

Mac and Windows
I downloaded it immediately to try it and definitely it is very impressive on Windows (HP Z620 with a GTX 690). My 2010 MBP could run the demos, but at something like 2fps and a bunch of errors that removed some features.

Thoughts
As more of an amateur programmer/interactive artist I am really intetested in seeing the source. It is great inspiration just to see how they lay everything out. I must admit I am concerned by how this "race to the bottom" will affect competition like Unity though.

Conclusion
It is nice not having parts of it behind a paywall and that the SDK is in C++. I am looking forward to seeing that elemental demo when it is released :)

I see it as less of a race to the bottom and more of an industry callout. Before UE4 launched, there was a dichotomy between the quality of game development tools available; If you were indie, you were limited by whatever funds you had to the cheap stuff and low-access you could afford. You were priced out of the Unreal Engines and CryEngines of the world by default. The people trying to sell their tools to you were Unity, Game Maker, Construct 2.

Basically, pricing UE4 the way they do opens the doors for developers who want to make more than just 2D platformers. It's kinda like buying a luxury car for a budget price. A bunch of problems that simply come with the territory of not being able to afford premium tools are now gone.

The funny thing is, I plan on using UE4 to make a 2D (probably 2.5D) platformer, at least at first.

Also, I want to make sure, UE plays well with perforce correct?

Some comments on the forums from UE staff indicate that they use Perforce in-house, but are slowly starting to convert to Git.

Define "likeminded people" :) ... I've just subscribed and am planning on un-subscribing next month, and then only re-subbing when I've got something decent assembled that actually NEEDS new features.

Keep in mind that you lose write access to the forums, answerhub, and wiki when your subscription lapses.

No matter how visual, node-based the interface of an engine appears, no beginner should think they can make a worthwhile game without battling code. You or your team must expect months of confusion and cursing even if you have seasoned programmers.

That said, templates, prefabs, shaders, and everything else that communities contribute sure can eliminate a lot of coding. My hope for Unreal 4 is a huge marketplace and community like Unity because Blueprint really is a beginner's necessity.

Good times for indies.

anteevy

How would you build a tilemap-based level in UE4? I googled (UDK and UE4) but couldn't even find a place to start. In Unity there are multiple tilemap editor plug-ins to "paint" the level, or I could just create it with an external tool like Tiled and write an import script for the editor that automatically creates/updates the according GameObjects when I switch back to the Unity editor window.

What's the best way to do this in UE4? Manually placing and rotating level blocks (tiles) would be too time-consuming. If importing tilesets from Tiled, I'd still need to directly see them in the editor (and not only at runtime) for manually placing additional objects on top of the tiles.

Is there likely to be a significant difference between the lighting tech in Unreal Engine 4 and Unity 5? I'm absolutely enamored with Unity 4, but the lighting tech on show here is making me really envious!

Raide

If I wanted to do a true 2d game, am I better off using Unity or UE4 or something else?

2D as in sprites? Probably Unity. Thought nothing has really been shown about the UE4 options in this regard.

2D as in 3D objects on a 2D plane. UE4 looks pretty good for that, especially having the options to start projects with 2D Blueprints ready and building your maps etc using 3D objects.

They have some 2D jump ninja thing I think as a demo in UE4.

potam

Banned
For someone completely ignorant on all this stuff, would it be a simple task for me to subscribe just to play around in the tech demos?

Raide

For someone completely ignorant on all this stuff, would it be a simple task for me to subscribe just to play around in the tech demos?

It seems to be a simple process of subscribe and then un-sub and you can still use the tools. You just loose the ability to keep UE4 updates or access the forums etc. A few on here are thinking about the same options so they can play with UE4 and see how they get on.

potam

Banned
It seems to be a simple process of subscribe and then un-sub and you can still use the tools. You just loose the ability to keep UE4 updates or access the forums etc. A few on here are thinking about the same options so they can play with UE4 and see how they get on.

Cool, thanks for the heads up. I may try it out this weekend.

Durante

I just found that they already have positional tracking support for the Rift DK2 in the source code.

It will be a long wait until July.

-COOLIO-

The Everyman
i think this thread proves that people are willing to pay good money just to walk around and look at a nice environment. i felt that way with bioshock infinites opening.

GruntosUK

I need to finish what I have started in UE3 before I move over. Its installed and ready, my will power is holding so far.....

MarkV

Check out what this guy did in two days:

Hey folks!

After watching the teaser for the next-gen Assassin's Creed I wondered what the ballroom you see at the beginning would look like in UE4. So I did a little over the weekend project and here's the result, hope you enjoy :]
ihcc.jpg

eat8.jpg

https://forums.unrealengine.com/showthread.php?897-VIDEO-Ballroom

Video
http://vimeo.com/89937689#at=0

Animator

So, I know virtually nothing about shaders, but is it possible to use the UT materialeditor to apply a global "filter" to the entire sample?

Yea afaik you can select everything and drag drop the material on it in the viewport. I don't know if you can group things and apply a material to that group. I am pretty sure it is possible but I don't have UE4 in my work computer to test out.

Durante

I just spent 2 hours reading UE4 source code. Quite thrilling.

Interesting stuff:
  • The only post-processing AA implementation I found is still FXAA, a bit disappointing. However, it seems that the deferred D3D11 path (at least) supports 4xMSAA.
  • There's a huge OnlineSubsystemSteam implementation, which is juicy if you've never seen the Steamworks API. Also has comments like * FROM VALVE: Steam stats for other users are kept in an LRU with a max queue length of 100
  • There's also an OnlineSubsystemAmazon and Facebook, but while I was excited at first those seem to be only for identity handling.
  • I really hope that thing I found which I think is their thread affinity management isn't their thread affinity management :p
  • They actually appear to be using real lock free lists. I haven't seen that in production code from anyone. At least this shows that parallelism research in CS isn't completely meaningless in all cases!
  • Their Task Graph implementation seems pretty basic, and they appear to be using a linear scan when trying to perform work stealing. I wonder why they would do that, it generally doesn't perform as well as many other options.
  • I thought we were the only ones crazy enough to base huge parts of our core code base on XMacro code generation, then I saw RHIMethods.h

syko de4d

wow, amazing. And he got most of the textures from http://cgtextures.com/ ? Thats looks like a great site with alotof textures.

CGTextures offers photographs of materials ("Textures") on its website (www.cgtextures.com) for game developers, special effects artists, graphic designers and other professions. No payment or royalties are required to use these Textures. The use of Textures is non-exclusive, royalty free, and you have the right to modify them for the uses permitted under the clause Conditions of Use.**

**CONDITIONS OF USE

Use of the Textures is only allowed under the following conditions:
- Private or commercial use
- Use in 2D or 3D computer graphics, movies and printed media
- Incorporation in computer games, 3D models
- Selling 3D models bundled with modified versions of the textures, when the texture is customized for the 3D model
So you can use them how you want, even if you sell the game using these textures?

Kraut

So how much of it is actually coding vs how much is you working in the level/editor non code environment. This is a new thing for me so sorry for the beginners questions!

You can accomplish a lot in the engine without writing any C++. Instead, you can layout your logic and variables in the visual scripting system (Blueprints) for things like game modes, character controls and attributes, object behaviors and properties, and even procedural level elements.

This video is quick and shows what kind of stuff you can produce with Blueprints, but I recommend you look at more of the examples if you're interested.

From the bit I've tinkered with Blueprints, it's very approachable for an absolute beginner who has never programmed before. Obviously, if you have experience with programming it helps, because they same kind of logical and systematic thinking carries over to what you do with Blueprints, but, as I said, this experience is not at all required.

Top Bottom