• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Unreal Engine 4 Thread

Cool man thanks alot...that looks great if you can compile for PS4/Xbone within it that would be superb!

You are welcome :)

I just unsubscribed yesterday. Worst timing in the history of timing.

You shouldn't :(. This month seems to be the best month ever.

Here the live twitch they did on thursday where they answered my questions; at 45:30 they mentionned my name and answered my questions (95% were mine lol)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aUVlKLvSXZk

JordanN

Banned
Made my first physically based materials. Just some spike objects that resemble rubber and metal.
iwYELcPt0qFTZ.png

The boxes in the back were just to test out texture mirroring.

Mik2121

Made my first physically based materials. Just some spike objects that resemble rubber and metal.
http://i.minus.com/iwYELcPt0qFTZ.png[img]

The boxes in the back were just to test out texture mirroring.[/QUOTE]

Check your metal material. The color seems to be black, or you don't have any reflection probes, or no screen space reflection on your post process volume. The metal shouldn't look so black.

JordanN

Banned
Check your metal material. The color seems to be black, or you don't have any reflection probes, or no screen space reflection on your post process volume. The metal shouldn't look so black.
I went back to the material and the base color is white. There was one reflection probe but I just went ahead and added several more. I also just turned on screen space reflections under the Global post process actor.

Here are the updated shots.
ibuvx1CYi8riEM.png
iLPPaUx6aRb5s.png

Better?

Edit: I also tried baking it (through lightmass) and got this result. I haven't studied it so I have no clue how it really works.
ib0CLWI5IqU25Y.png

Tain

Can I turn off certain post-processing effects game-wide via ini files instead of map-wide via postprocess volumes?

BraXzy

I just subscribed, can't wait to dive into this. Great news to see 4.2 is coming out, I'll probably cancel my subcription for nowso I will just have this month worth of content then my version will stay as is right?

Quick question, is forum access subscriber only? Or can you still access it?

Blizzard

Banned
I just subscribed, can't wait to dive into this. Great news to see 4.2 is coming out, I'll probably cancel my subcription for nowso I will just have this month worth of content then my version will stay as is right?

Quick question, is forum access subscriber only? Or can you still access it?
I've been able to read the forums (at least, the show-off stuff?) from the start with just a forum account, no subscription needed. I'm not sure if there are limited forum areas I can't see.

Can I turn off certain post-processing effects game-wide via ini files instead of map-wide via postprocess volumes?
I think it might depend on which effect. Are you trying to make your own game customizable in this fashion, or change the settings on someone else's?

Tain

I was just hoping that, for my own game, settings like motion blur and lense flare could be disabled in via DefaultEngine or something (doesn't need to be user-customizable) so I wouldn't need to re-do my PostProcessVolume in each map that I use.

Blizzard

Banned
I was just hoping that, for my own game, settings like motion blur and lense flare could be disabled in via DefaultEngine or something (doesn't need to be user-customizable) so I wouldn't need to re-do my PostProcessVolume in each map that I use.
Ah, I would -think- that is doable, but I'm not positive if those exact settings could be changed back in the UDK.

Worst case of course you could tailor UE4 for yourself, but I'd like to think there might be a built-in way. :p Or worst case, maybe a way to change the defaults for post-process volume settings?

From Thursday's live twitch, questions I asked and devs answered:

4.2 in 7 days!

They are uploading the lionhead Global Illumination provided in UE4 ! They got the code from Lionhead and they put it for Elemental Demo.

They told me that the Elemental Demo will compile and work for PS4.

They are trying to support PS Vita too.

Thye will release the infiltrator demo too.

Apex 2014 will be in 4.2 .

Is it possible to upload Elemental Demo with GI and Infiltrator demo so non subscribers can try it out?

Tain

Ah, I would -think- that is doable, but I'm not positive if those exact settings could be changed back in the UDK.

Worst case of course you could tailor UE4 for yourself, but I'd like to think there might be a built-in way. :p Or worst case, maybe a way to change the defaults for post-process volume settings?

Ah yeah, I didn't think about it, but a quick way to save time would be to make a BP class based on PostProcessVolume with different defaults.

For those who are currently subbed and get 4.2 when its out, let us know how the GI performs pretty please.
I'd personally love to know how to compares to Cryengines GI.

Blizzard

Banned
I remade BlockFort from Mario Kart 64 in UE4. I can't believe how incredibly easy to use UE4 is compared to UDK3 and Hammer. Like, I can just drop in images from the desktop for textures without having to convert it several times? Holy crap.

Downloadable Here
Of course you couldn't sell it because Nintendo, but if you made that so easily, you should try putting some basic kart controls in and see if you could get it drivable (especially with the Rift). :O

How is the latency with the Rift?

Of course you couldn't sell it because Nintendo, but if you made that so easily, you should try putting some basic kart controls in and see if you could get it drivable (especially with the Rift). :O

How is the latency with the Rift?

Latency's pretty good. I don't really notice anything.

Wouldn't know how to actually make a cart game. I haven't touched any programming or movement elements in UDK yet, but I'd love to make a damn good 3D Platformer in it.

MayMay

Banned
I cannot wait to get my hands on the UE4... I wish they'd just hurry up with their Paypal support. Don't think they said anything except "It's coming eventually" :L

Tain

I noticed the hallway is marked as 4.1.1, but my UE4 isn't auto-updating in the launcher. Is 4.1.1 out?

Top Bottom