• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Until Dawn for PS5 and PC Revealed | State of Play Trailer

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
Let's be honest they ran out of games to port to PC
Did they?

Hidden Agenda, Gravity Rush games, God of War Trilogy (rumored to be remastered for PS5), Uncharted Trilogy, Infamous, The Order 1886, Killzone Trilogy (for PS5 aswell), Demon's Souls Remake, Bloodborne, Shadow of the Colossus, The Last Guardian, Dragon's Crown Pro, Odin Sphere...

They haven't even started yet tbh.

nial

Gold Member
Eh, I still think it's pretty much pointless to remake 9 year old game that you can play on PS5 through backwards compatibility

I just feel remakes that makes more sense are games that were released at least two generations ago or ones you can't play on modern consoles
Sony did this with Siren back in the day, lol. I think they may be ready to give Ballistic Moon the greenlight for an actual sequel.

Dazraell

Sony did this with Siren back in the day, lol. I think they may be ready to give Ballistic Moon the greenlight for an actual sequel.
Well, I was just reading that Ballistic Moon has a lot of ex-Supermassive members and The Quarry initially was meant to be Until Dawn 2, so I guess this might be true. The foundations they developed for this remake will probably make creating a sequel much easier as well

A positive outcome of this situation is that PC players will be able to experience this game. Until Dawn was a great game and is still my favorite out of Supermassive games using similar format, so more people being able to experience it is still a win

Eh, I still think it's pretty much pointless to remake 9 year old game that you can play on PS5 through backwards compatibility

I just feel remakes that makes more sense are games that were released at least two generations ago or ones you can't play on modern consoles

You might be right with the exception that these games were not released on PC back then.

Until Dawn is nearly 10 years old at this point and a remake has a much better chance at selling on PC than a port and if you're going to remake it for PC, of course you'd put it on PS5 as well since there will be a market who hasn't played it or want to play it again, who otherwise wouldn't give the age of the game.

The other reality is that 10 years was basically 2 generations old not too long ago.

And for those who have mentioned Bloodborne, I think that is definitely in the works, but this game should be a perfect example of why that might be difficult.

Sony doesn't own Supermassive Games and Supermassive isn't handling this game, but a company of former employees of Supermassive has been selected to work on this. Why isn't Supermassive? Probably because they have their own priorities. Probably a former employee of Supermassive floated this to Sony as an idea and they created their own company on the basis of this project. If the project is successful, I'm sure they'll be able to recruit even more people from SMG, giving Sony the opportunity to essentially buy SMG without buying it.

Ballistic Moon is a 20 minute drive from Supermassive Games...

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
Why would Sony port those
I've mentioned these games only bc they're Sony exclusives, no other reason. Obviously ATLUS / SEGA should do it cuz it's their games.
The first one is a PS3 game updated for PS4 and the other one updated PS2 game, they should be available on other platforms as pretty much every other Vanillaware game for that matter.

Last edited:
I couldn't see any differences.
Let's be honest they ran out of games to port to PC and this popped up
Still I'm gonna get it
There is a massive difference? It only runs in 1080p, on console with very jagged edges and flickering. In 4K it's going to look incredible.

Especially if the character models and textures are upgraded.

I don't think you're remembering just how dated the original looks nowadays.

Original:

53500474717_8ddebe7388_o.png

Remake:

ss_7f8154ba8de5e5823e935dabb10a4e5e7ac010da.jpg

Original:

53501360416_accdcc4204_o.png

Remake:

ss_ba9ea9c933bf12c95f432a4fbd03d458f9d00270.jpg

It's a huge, huge improvement.
Yes wow holy shit I had no idea it was that much of a difference. That's insane!

analog_future

Resident Crybaby
Did they?

Hidden Agenda, Gravity Rush games, God of War Trilogy (rumored to be remastered for PS5), Uncharted Trilogy, Infamous, The Order 1886, Killzone Trilogy (for PS5 aswell), Demon's Souls Remake, Bloodborne, Shadow of the Colossus, The Last Guardian, Dragon's Crown Pro, Odin Sphere...

They haven't even started yet tbh.

Yep. Add The Last of Us Part II, Ghost of Tsushima, God of War Ragnarok, Spider-Man 2, and many others to the list as well.

JaksGhost

Blog has details:

Quite a huge upgrade.
Even more details and it seems the switch to UE5 has allowed for ray-tracing:

PlayStation 5 Features

• Ultra High-Speed SSD – With seamless scene-to-gameplay transitions made possible by the PlayStation 5 console’s ultra high-speed SSD, stay fully immersed in the heart-pumping horror and face your fears without a moment’s respite.
  • Adaptive Triggers – Experience the resistance of a firearm’s trigger, pick up objects in the environment, and feel the weight of your decisions through adaptive triggers as you survive the mountain’s horrors.
  • Tempest 3D AudioTech – Pinpoint every breathless whisper, unknown footstep, and chilling scream through 3D audio, as you navigate the darkness relying on each of your senses to stay alive.
  • Stunning Visuals – Rebuilt from the ground up in Unreal Engine 5, the power of PlayStation 5 consoles brings the horror to life with realistic lighting and ray traced character shadows. Explore the eerily-lit interiors of the lodge, the clawing darkness of the mines, and moonlight-bathed mountain wilderness in stunning detail.
  • Haptic Feedback – Feel the footsteps of friends and foes alike intensify with proximity, and every bump and scrape as you claw through the darkness on the run from a killer. From the clicks of a digital camera to the supernatural power of nearby totems, the DualSense® wireless controller’s haptic feedback connects you to your environment like never before.

Last edited:

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
I don't think you're remembering just how dated the original looks nowadays.

Original:

53500474717_8ddebe7388_o.png

Remake:

ss_7f8154ba8de5e5823e935dabb10a4e5e7ac010da.jpg

Original:

53501360416_accdcc4204_o.png

Remake:

ss_ba9ea9c933bf12c95f432a4fbd03d458f9d00270.jpg

It's a huge, huge improvement.
You know from the opening shot I knew what it was because it looked the same.
The difference is obvious in the comparison but I wouldn't say the original look's dated, it like an in development Vs final release difference at first glance.
We have to see more screenshots and footage, but that shot of Hayden Panettiere looks more actually like her in the original and the new looks like a game version of her despite the extra detail.
dlK2n8m.jpg
Pu6zPbK.png

But it might just be that shot and scene for scene it looks better.
The clown mask looks much better.
Add 4K and Ray tracing and this is gonna look amazing.
Also the camera angle are gone, not sure if that was posted but the developer said they've gone for a full 3rd Person perspective

Until Dawn’s announcement for PS5 and PC has confused many, because despite being a decade old, the original Supermassive Games story is still very playable on PS4. Sony obviously has big plans for the franchise because it’s working on a movie adaptation, which will be directed by Lights Out’s David F. Sandberg. But this enhanced version appears to straddle the line between remaster and remake.
For starters, the title is being entirely rebuilt in Unreal Engine 5, whereas the original leveraged Guerrilla Games’ Decima Engine. It’ll feature improved animations and an altered colour palette, which according to creative director Neil McEwan will make the story more “nuanced and emotional”. Personally, we can’t wait to see Emily’s famous slap scene in PS5 technicolour.
Not sure how I feel about this
Perhaps the biggest change, though, is that developer Ballistic Moon is doing away with the original’s fixed camera angles, and will instead introduce a more traditional third-person perspective. “[This] means you can now look behind the curtain of the original game, exploring enhanced and new locations with new interactions and collectables.”

McEwan added: “Incorporating a third-person camera and adding contextual character movement animations, the game now allows the player to really feel the experience of that fateful night.” To complement these, it sounds like there’ll be fresh narrative beats too, as Ballistic Moon says it aims to “expand upon unexplored emotional parts of the story”.
All of this, in addition to a Mark Korven soundtrack, suggests there’s going to be a lot of changes in this updated version of Until Dawn. Are you eager to check out the branching horror outing for a second time, or do you think this is an unnecessary project?

And going off this

I actually prefer the look of the original ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Last edited:
Top Bottom