• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Upcoming Vita Games (~200+ Upcoming games in ENGLISH) || 2017 Edition ||

oldmario

i never realised until DR3 blocked screenshots after chapter 2 that i take so many screenshots in games or rather try taking screenshots in this game

is this the first game to do selective blocking? i'm sure i've only ever played Vita games that do full block or full unblock but never any that did selective outside of PS4

In that case we are getting vanilla version on cart as they didn't include the latest patch for Ys Origins. For Vita games they need to do a full rebuild.

it's not out on Vita yet so maybe the dev will skip straight ahead to that?

autoduelist

So I played maybe the first couple hours of Trails in the Sky and got distracted and never went back to it. I really liked the combat system, though. Too much dialog iirc.

Anyway... I was thinking of picking Trails of Cold Steel. Should I just wait and play Sky first? I think Sky even has 2 sequels, right? Or is it fine to just jump to Cold Steel? i know they're different trilogies...

So I played maybe the first couple hours of Trails in the Sky and got distracted and never went back to it. I really liked the combat system, though. Too much dialog iirc.

Anyway... I was thinking of picking Trails of Cold Steel. Should I just wait and play Sky first? I think Sky even has 2 sequels, right? Or is it fine to just jump to Cold Steel? i know they're different trilogies...

If the amount of dialogue is what made you stop playing Trails FC, going to Cold Steel won't solve that issue. The entire series is one of the most dialogue heavy out there.

As for going straight into CS instead of playing Sky, you'll be fine outside of a few references and a character reveal.

autoduelist

If the amount of dialogue is what made you stop playing Trails FC, going to Cold Steel won't solve that issue. The entire series is one of the most dialogue heavy out there.

As for going straight into CS instead of playing Sky, you'll be fine outside of a few references and a character reveal.

i know it's going to be dialogue heavy... but i reallllly liked the combat. And I'm trying to spend some credit I need to spend, and I honestly have limited choices. Maybe I'll grab PS4 Valkyria Chronicles instead... I loved it on ps3, just not sure I feel like a replay.

mollipen

Sigh, my OG Vita charging cable is starting to become unreliable. What are my options?

While this particular option isn't one that I personally have, I've purchased similar styles of "X in One" USB charging cables while over in Japan and love them. As someone very into portable gaming, it's much nicer to have one cable that can do a bunch of things that I can carry around with me in my purse.

The one I linked above looks like it can do all DS, 3DS, PSP, and Vita models. I'm not sure what kind of plug 2DS runs since I don't have one, so don't know if it'd also be an option. The one problem with these kinds of cables is it seems like it can be iffy if it'll also provide USB syncing or not. Just picking up different random cables over recent years, some of the ones I've snagged will, while others won't. So keep that in mind with this (or anything similar) if that's an important element.

BTA

BAW looks interesting but it's such a bad time for it to come out, for me.

On Vita alone I still have half of V3 and Yanagi's route in CxM to play, not to mention Chaos;Child out soon (though I might let that sit unplayed for a month or two). And then there's a billion other games I'm playing on other platforms.

I'll get to it sometime early next year probably? Hmm.

On Vita alone I still have half of V3 and Yanagi's route in CxM to play, not to mention Chaos;Child out soon (though I might let that sit unplayed for a month or two). And then there's a billion other games I'm playing on other platforms.

Yea I agree. Even Blue Reflection released at a horrible time. Same with PBS on PS4.

In fact Koei Tecmo is sending Nights of Azure 2 out to die. Release same day in EU as Mario, AC Origins, WOlfenstein II. lmao.

WIth the otome stuff from aksys, I usually end up reviewing but buy day one to support both otome aksys and physical releases from them. Only one I havent bought yet is period cube.

Redhood

I was wondering about the Arland Trilogy. Should I start with Totori (1st game on Vita) or should I play Rorona, Totori and Meruru in order? I heard Rorona spoils Totori.

I was wondering about the Arland Trilogy. Should I start with Totori (1st game on Vita) or should I play Rorona, Totori and Meruru in order? I heard Rorona spoils Totori.

Do Rorona -> Totori -> Meruru then go back to Rorona and play the epilogue.

With that said, I did Totori -> Meruru -> Rorona and had no issues with it.

OT: DanganRonpa V3 charted in the UK top 40, combined formats. Pretty decent result.

OT: DanganRonpa V3 charted in the UK top 40, combined formats. Pretty decent result.

Pretty impressive when I can't find a single copy to buy anywhere! Had to resort to gambling on Shopto's eBay page. Hopefully I should get my copy this week...

Makes me wonder if Vita games are getting released in even smaller quantities these days. This is like the 3'rd/4th time I've had issues getting a game on launch day, I gotta actually pre order stuff from now on!

Pretty impressive when I can't find a single copy to buy anywhere! Had to resort to gambling on Shopto's eBay page. Hopefully I should get my copy this week...

Makes me wonder if Vita games are getting released in even smaller quantities these days. This is like the 3'rd/4th time I've had issues getting a game on launch day, I gotta actually pre order stuff from now on!

Holy crap, missed that. I thought I'd placed an order but evidently I hadn't (think I was waiting for my points from my last order to be credited to my 365games account) and now it's out of stock!

Good job I'm not in a rush to play it, at least NISA Europe's store will always have (overpriced) copies.

oldmario

looking at the UK Vita charts and i noticed something veryyyyyyyyyy interesting

HGuQjY3.png

if you can't see it, look at number 16

Holy crap, missed that. I thought I'd placed an order but evidently I hadn't (think I was waiting for my points from my last order to be credited to my 365games account) and now it's out of stock!

Good job I'm not in a rush to play it, at least NISA Europe's store will always have (overpriced) copies.

Yeah, it also seems to be out of stock in all the other usual places I check. Shopto eBay have just shipped my copy though, so fingers crossed that it turns up ok.

I really should get around to playing the rest of the series, the first Danganrompa game was morbidly fascinating. Its the most messed up concept to a game I've ever played (then again, not as bad as the Idol Death Battle game I read about) but the story mean I couldn't pull myself away from it.

jzbluz

So who's excited for Bad Apple Wars? It's releasing right around the corner after all.

I've bought every single otome game day one, except for Hakuoki Vita because I'm sick of that series, but I'm skipping BAW until probably next year. I'm in no rush to get it since we didn't receive the day one edition or any discount, and I haven't read any enthusiastic reviews. I'm more excited for the otome games coming in next year.

mollipen

This is the hell I feel as the sole Japanese gaming-focused reviewer at my current outlet. It always feels like there's only two potential situations: total drought, or total flood. It actually stresses me out at times, because covering the stuff that won't get a ton of coverage otherwise has always been important to me.

So localizarion companies overwhelm me both on a professional and personal level. lol

Shizuka

This is the hell I feel as the sole Japanese gaming-focused reviewer at my current outlet. It always feels like there's only two potential situations: total drought, or total flood. It actually stresses me out at times, because covering the stuff that won't get a ton of coverage otherwise has always been important to me.

So localizarion companies overwhelm me both on a professional and personal level. lol

I'm glad to share that responsibility with another two reviewers, so I'd rather pick one or two titles that really catch my attention than to juggle between five or six at a time without enjoying the ones I like better.

incpdo

i just bought YS VIII Vita version , looks amazing ,the fps might be lower but man this game looks awesome in this system , also feels very polished, the music is AAA shit and it has become one of my favorite games of this year .
The game shows what the system can do. I need to get tokyo xanadu now , i know is not the same quality of game but i feel is a game i will enjoy very much.

i just bought YS VIII Vita version , looks amazing ,the fps might be lower but man this game looks awesome in this system , also feels very polished, the music is AAA shit and it has become one of my favorite games of this year .
The game shows what the system can do. I need to get tokyo xanadu now , i know is not the same quality of game but i feel is a game i will enjoy very much.

Good to hear about Ys. I need to play all three Vita releases. I wonder, is every (or almost every) Ys game playable on the Vita in one way or another? Tempted to nab them all and marathon them over the next few months.

Tokyo Xanadu got a bad wrap I think. I'm playing it right now, its a bit cliche on the story front, but it has a really nice atmosphere that keeps drawing me in. Really enjoying it.

Good to hear about Ys. I need to play all three Vita releases. I wonder, is every (or almost every) Ys game playable on the Vita in one way or another? Tempted to nab them all and marathon them over the next few months.
Almost every one (well, the modernized versions when you consider the classics). Ys 6 is on PC (though there's a bad PSP port which never got put on PSN), and Ys 5 still doesn't have a modernized version at all. Other than that, everything else is available.

https://kresnik258gaming.wordpress.com/2017/10/02/an-interview-with-10tons-neon-chrome/

I recently had chance to interview 10tons (Crimsonland; Neon Chrome; Xenoraid). Obviously I asked them lots of stuff about Vita, quite interesting stuff. Seems at this point they are supporting it out of passion, but that's still nice.

It also sounds like we're almost definitely getting Time Recoil, but Jydge and Tesla vs. Lovecraft are up in the air as their tech is getting more advanced. A shame, I really like their twin-stick shooters (Neon Chrome was one of my big surprises of last year).

autoduelist

https://kresnik258gaming.wordpress.com/2017/10/02/an-interview-with-10tons-neon-chrome/

I recently had chance to interview 10tons (Crimsonland; Neon Chrome; Xenoraid). Obviously I asked them lots of stuff about Vita, quite interesting stuff. Seems at this point they are supporting it out of passion, but that's still nice.

It also sounds like we're almost definitely getting Time Recoil, but Jydge and Tesla vs. Lovecraft are up in the air as their tech is getting more advanced. A shame, I really like their twin-stick shooters (Neon Chrome was one of my big surprises of last year).

Jydge is by Crimsonland people!?!?! Ok, well, now I have to go buy it i think.

incpdo

Tokyo Xanadu got a bad wrap I think. I'm playing it right now, its a bit cliche on the story front, but it has a really nice atmosphere that keeps drawing me in. Really enjoying it.

you can play
Ys Origin (prequel to Ys1) [PsVita]
Ys chronicles (remakes of 1 and 2 ) [PSP]
Ys Oath in Felghana(remake of Ys3) [PSP]
Ys Memories of Celceta [PsVita]
Ys VII [PSP]
Ys VIII [PsVita]

Ys ark of napishtim (YSVI)[PSP]: unfortunately is not in the NA store idk about the other regions

you can play
Ys Origin (prequel to Ys1) [PsVita]
Ys chronicles (remakes of 1 and 2 ) [PSP]
Ys Oath in Felghana(remake of Ys3) [PSP]
Ys Memories of Celceta [PsVita]
Ys VII [PSP]
Ys VIII [PsVita]

Ys ark of napishtim (YSVI)[PSP]: unfortunately is not in the NA store idk about the other regions

Awesome stuff. I'll at least grab 1-3 just so I can appreciate them before going with Origins (as I read that its better to play them before Origins?)
Sounds like I'll skip 6 since the PSP port sounds pretty bad. I'll look into playing that another way (either fix my PC or play the original version).

I also finished a review of TxK:

https://kresnik258gaming.wordpress.com/2017/10/03/vita-txk-review/

If you've missed this one, I recommend rectifying this. Brilliant Vita game (and exclusive to boot).

I still need to finish this. I'm on level 73 I think? I was replaying levels to amass a decent number of lives as some later levels can be brutal, but I kept putting it off. Seeing this post reminds me that it needs to be finished. Might jump back on it tonight.

Also, nabbed Ys 1-2, 3 and 7 on the PSP to play via my Vita. Really looking forward to getting stuck into the games, I loved Ys 1 and from what I've watched from the gameplay on the other games I'm sure I'll really enjoy these as well.

Now I'll just impatiently wait for LRG to ship my copy of Ys Origin!

I still need to finish this. I'm on level 73 I think? I was replaying levels to amass a decent number of lives as some later levels can be brutal, but I kept putting it off. Seeing this post reminds me that it needs to be finished. Might jump back on it tonight.

Also, nabbed Ys 1-2, 3 and 7 on the PSP to play via my Vita. Really looking forward to getting stuck into the games, I loved Ys 1 and from what I've watched from the gameplay on the other games I'm sure I'll really enjoy these as well.

Now I'll just impatiently wait for LRG to ship my copy of Ys Origin!

I think I got lucky because I completed the game in one of my earliest sittings and it's still among my rarest Vita trophies lol.

Trophies on it glitched out on me a while back, so doubly well done on that one! I've managed to get myself to mainly stop caring about trophies though, all the hidden collectables finally pushed me over the edge... realised it was in fact no fun what so ever!

Shizuka

Everything's selling out at NISA's Online Store, even limited editions that are only getting released next year. All Vita limited editions are sold out.

Am I crazy or was TxK pulled from the store at some point?

Anyway, got it long ago and it really is the ultimate Tempest game.

Atari got really pissed off at the game at one point, since its so similar to Tempest. I think it was around the time a PC/PS3 (or was it PS4?) version was being worked on but Atari managed to kill those ports outright. Which is a darn shame as the game is brilliant, that might have been when it was taken down? I think that also killed the potential for a patch, as many of the trophies (the hard ones at that) are impossible to unlock.

Am I crazy or was TxK pulled from the store at some point?

Anyway, got it long ago and it really is the ultimate Tempest game.

Still buyable on the UK store at least.

Everything's selling out at NISA's Online Store, even limited editions that are only getting released next year. All Vita limited editions are sold out.

I'm guessing they're producing a lot less copies of their Vita games these days then.

Tohsaka

I liked Tokyo Xanadu a lot, about as much as Ys VIII. Going to double dip when the PS4 version is out here.

I remember something sold out last year but came back in stock close to release for a day before selling out. Probably cancellations.

I've been playing so much Vita this year...after jumping through all the hoops to get the PSP Genesis Collection on there, I've polished off a bunch of games, including Phantasy Star II & III, partway through IV now. I had a great time with them, though they haven't all aged super well. But they scratched that classic jrpg itch.

I bought Axiom Verge day one on PS4, but it was apparent pretty quick that it would be a better portable game. Glad I held off to wait for the Vita, it really was better here, even though it didn't always run perfectly. The small screen and OLED colours did not wonders for it.

Also toppled Persona 3 Portable, that was an experience. I really get why some people like it better than P4G, it definitely excels in certain areas.

I finally beat the PSP Dracula X Chronicles...I honestly think it might well be the best of any of the classicvanias, the animations feel so satisfying and the soundrack is great. Switching back to the original Dracula X just didn't feel as good.

On the topic of best ever, I found my copy of Lumines Electronic Symphony...is there a better puzzle game? As great as Puyo Puyo Tetris is, it doesn't top this game's style. The soundtrack really grew on me, I think I like it better than the original game's.

I just beat Wolf Among Us, only took me a day to platinum. The action scenes get reeeally choppy when switching between shots, but at the end of the day there's no more comfortable place to play Telltale games than the Vita (though maybe the Switch will top it), it's tragic they only released three games on the system. This game totally lived up to its reputation, I loved every minute of it and couldn't put it down until it was done.

I just got back into Guacamelee...I reached the end boss a while back, but my save was wiped before I could beat him. Finally felt motivated to get back there...he's still a jerk, this might take a while.

I'm glad the Switch is doing well, but tbh the Vita has me plenty satisfied on the portable gaming front, even after 4 years. Sometimes I even wonder why I got a PS4, I play this way more. I think I'll be mining the Vita library for a while yet, there's still a lot of stuff I haven't gotten to.

autoduelist

Trophies on it glitched out on me a while back, so doubly well done on that one! I've managed to get myself to mainly stop caring about trophies though, all the hidden collectables finally pushed me over the edge... realised it was in fact no fun what so ever!

I'm realllly struggling with this. Like, I finally reached the point where I was going to quit trophies [I made a line in the sand]. But it's really hard for me to not try to complete everything in a game. I mean, I absolutely hate chasing trophies [collectibles, etc] but I absolutely love feeling like I got every last thing in a game done. And I usually do so much naturally, it's hard to just not go that extra mile.

I wish trophies just never were implemented, really. I know some people can just ignore them, but I find that terribly difficult.

Top Bottom