• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Update from the Squid Research Lab: Murch can help customise your gear in Splatoon 2

Cerium

Sauce
When Splatoon 2 arrives this summer on Nintendo Switch it'll bring with it fresh gear and abilities. It seems the world of fashion in the Inkling world has come a long way in the last two years!

CI_NSwitch_Splatoon2_Gear_01_image600w.jpg

So what is gear? Well, it's divided into three types: headgear, clothing, and footwear. From our observations, the gear sold at shops in Inkopolis Square keeps pace with the ever-changing world of squid fashion.

CI_NSwitch_Splatoon2_Gear_02_image600w.jpg

Each piece of gear comes with abilities that provide a variety of benefits during battle. Using a piece of gear repeatedly will increase the number of abilities it has. Our research has also revealed that gear abilities have changed over the last two years, with a number of new abilities joining some time-tested favourites.

CI_NSwitch_Splatoon2_Murch_01_image600w.jpg

Gear can even be customised and this young boy will be integral to that. We've seen him knocking about and we've finally managed to learn his name: meet Murch. Apparently, he looks to Spyke as a role model, and works in the same industry (if not the same organisation) as him.

CI_NSwitch_Splatoon2_Murch_02.jpg
CI_NSwitch_Splatoon2_Murch_03.jpg

Murch is pretty good with his hands, and he uses those nimble digits to perform a special service that resets the additional abilities on a piece of gear, returning it to its original state. From what we can tell, gear abilities you've removed from gear will be returned to you. Nice!

CI_NSwitch_Splatoon2_Murch_04_image600w.jpg

Once you collect enough of them you'll be able to use them to fill an empty gear slot with a new ability. Theoretically, this means that utilising Murch's services many times would allow you to mix and match additional gear abilities as you see fit! That would be incredible! Could this young man be even more talented than Spyke himself?

We don't know about you but we're looking forward to trying on some of the new gear in Splatoon 2! Find out more about Splatoon 2 at our official Splatoon 2 gamepage, and get more updates at the official Splatoon Facebook page, where we publish our findings.

Staaaay fresh!

jdstorm

Banned
This is a good change. Ultimately getting to wear what you like with the abilities you need is what players want. This seems like it will help achieve that.

While I like Murch's function and agree it's a very welcome change (as long as the amount of power ups needed to distribute what you want isn't some ridiculous number), I'm not so down with his design. It's just ugly, in my opinion. Same with the creatures from the Salmon Run mode. Murch looks unique, and I get the monsters are probably meant to be ugly, but these new designs just aren't nearly as appealing as anything from the first game. That's just my take, though.

JustenP88

I earned 100 Gamerscore™ for collecting 300 widgets and thereby created Trump's America
I'ma get so goddamn fresh ugh I can't wait

maxcriden

Has this already been discussed?

VN-Fu4VJ47io1cMQmfNwAWMe4SWIowwasi7ENofbdDo.jpg

This image was shown in the Japanese Nintendo Direct last week. It was on-screen for just a single second before it vanished. For some reason, it wasn't part of any other Nintendo Direct. It comes from the Splatoon 2 segment. As you can see, there's a bear on display in this strange room, as well as what looks to be a kettle grate, which should be familiar to fans of the original game. Just what's going on with this mysterious room?

Source: https://www.reddit.com/r/splatoon/comments/658geu/theres_a_split_second_grizzco_location_seen_in/ (summary via GoNintendo.com)

Top Bottom