• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Upscalers, CRTs, PVMs & RGB: Retro gaming done right!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Peagles

Oh I see. I'm sure you'll be able to figure it out. It's a really big convenience for me, these switches are great.

Yeh, I found the manual and it looks kinda complex but I'll enjoy the challenge I think!

Looks like you can plug into a PC via Ethernet and set up a bunch of stuff so that could be interesting.

missile

I can't help, but this one of the worst article ever written about color
temperature. No kidding!

It completely misses the point and draws some odd conclusions
many people here fall for it, unfortunately.

One of the most important thing in understanding the need for
color temperature correction lies in the understanding about how
the eye adapts to the brightest light it sees making it its new white,
independent of the lights color, and readjust its color perception
with respect to this new white.

This is where a proper article about color temperature shoud start.

Bar81

I can't help, but this one of the worst article ever written about color
temperature. No kidding!

It completely misses the point and draws some odd conclusions
many people here fall for it, unfortunately.

One of the most important thing in understanding the need for
color temperature correction lies in the understanding about how
the eye adapts to the brightest light it sees making it its new white,
independent of the lights color, and readjust its color perception
with respect to this new white.

This is where a proper article about color temperature shoud start.

Going to cnet for determinative opinions is questionable in and of itself so this isn't surprising.

dodgeme

I'm new to old school gaming, but want a monitor to play my old PSX on. I found this near me. Good deal? Anything I need to know about these? Sony PVM-14n5u

http://phoenix.craigslist.org/evl/ele/4806236313.html

Doesn't do RGB so in my opinion not worth it. I would say hit up ebay and look for the Olympus OEV series monitors, they used to be grossly underpriced in comparison to the exact same Sony PVM models they were based on. But it appears as though people have become savvy as the most recent OEV-203 auction ended at $150 or so and I paid $75 for mine.

antibolo

Banned
Recently I've started watching DVDs on my PVM. Not sure why it took me so long to think about doing this! 480i video naturally looks so much better on a CRT, instead of all blurry and deinterlace-artifacted on my huge HDTV.

lem0n

Can't tell without seeing if it has RGB inputs. Not all PVMs do.

Doesn't do RGB so in my opinion not worth it. I would say hit up ebay and look for the Olympus OEV series monitors, they used to be grossly underpriced in comparison to the exact same Sony PVM models they were based on. But it appears as though people have become savvy as the most recent OEV-203 auction ended at $150 or so and I paid $75 for mine.

Hey thanks for the input guys, but I got a call back before I saw your replies, and he took $50 for it. He was 4 miles away, too. I have my PSX running through S video right now and it looks stunning. It had the manual too, so I'm going to read up on it tonight. So far, so awesome! Might keep an eye out for an RGB one.

antibolo

Banned
Hey thanks for the input guys, but I got a call back before I saw your replies, and he took $50 for it. He was 4 miles away, too. I have my PSX running through S video right now and it looks stunning. It had the manual too, so I'm going to read up on it tonight. So far, so awesome! Might keep an eye out for an RGB one.

The S-video input on PVMs is actually very high quality. For a PS1 it's not that much of a step down compared to RGB. You're only going to suffer on consoles where S-video is not an option, because even a PVM can only do so much with composite video.

On my PVM I use S-video for my SNES, PS2 and Dreamcast so I can save up some ports on my SCART switch (a 5 port Bandridge) for consoles where RGB is essential. Maybe one day I'll buy a second switch, but for now it really doesn't bother me, there is very little visible difference.

televator

Completely unrelated. You got a sweet user name. ;)

lem0n

By the way,

IMG_20141220_143117_zpsc5a15775.jpg

:)

which cable may I use for hooking up a PS2 with XRGB-mini?

seems like RGB cable is a little expensive, component or D-Terminal give a good output? I would use it for both PS1 and PS2 games

Peltz

which cable may I use for hooking up a PS2 with XRGB-mini?

seems like RGB cable is a little expensive, component or D-Terminal give a good output? I would use it for both PS1 and PS2 games

For 240p games (e.g. most PS1 games), I use the RGB cable made by this seller for my XRGB Mini:

http://www.ebay.com/usr/retro_console_accessories

I think it runs about $30 or so. She is probably away for the holidays, so her stock will probably reappear in January.

For everything else, (e.g. anything involving 480i or 480p), I prefer 1st party Sony-brand component cables going straight into my HDTV, bypassing the XRGB-Mini altogether. It doesn't do as good a job with those resolutions as my HDTV's internal scaler.

So I tried swiss on the SD Media Launcher and at 240p it looks worse than 480p. But this is through my 50" HDTV at component. I can only assume it'll look better on a CRT, or my PVM but I'm unable to test it on my PVM at the moment.

Yeah, that's not surprising. Sending 240p video to a modern television is like shouting morse code at someone over a phone.

Haha, I don't know I just expected it for some reason to look good... actually, the quality it produced reminded me exactly of the time I used to own that terrible Scart to HDMI or Scart to Component converter box. I'll report back later with PVM results when I can do it.

antibolo

Banned
I recently bought a pair of cool superior Super Famicom controllers to replace my aging, ugly North American SNES controllers.

They are in superb condition, however as is usual with Japanese controllers from that era, the cables are like less than a meter long or something. What the fuck were they thinking back then? I mean I know that Japanese houses are small but that's just insane. I wonder how many Japanese consoles were broken due to people tripping on them, since you basically had to put the console right in the middle of the room so you can actually reach the controllers.

Thankfully controller extensions are cheap and easy to buy nowadays.

Why would you do that? Lol.

My Extron switch just arrived. Holy cow...

Apparently I can do some presets so I can use it for RGB or component by using multiple inputs at once. I might just test it with composite first though so I can make sure it works, then I'll set it up maybe when I move into my next place, cos it's huuuge lol.
that looks awesome :eek: so are each of those input/outputs some sort of universal plug?

Peagles

that looks awesome :eek: so are each of those input/outputs some sort of universal plug?

Yeh just BNC. I'm so excited can't wait to use it! If I'm clever I could set it up on top my PVM but that will require some tidying... It's pretty flat though I think I could put my basket of games on top of it somehow...

baphomet

I'd rather have 1ft cables than 50hz though.

That's an awesome switch box peagles, but how are you going to use it? If you went through the process to concert everything to have BNC cables I could see it being super useful.

Peltz

That's an awesome switch box peagles, but how are you going to use it? If you went through the process to concert everything to have BNC cables I could see it being super useful.

Now that you mentioned it, I had the opportunity to get one of these broadcast bnc matrixes for a dollar and didn't realize how useful they were at the time. Truly a missed opportunity on my part.

Kicking myself pretty hard right now.

BONKERS

Why would you do that? Lol.

My Extron switch just arrived. Holy cow...

Apparently I can do some presets so I can use it for RGB or component by using multiple inputs at once. I might just test it with composite first though so I can make sure it works, then I'll set it up maybe when I move into my next place, cos it's huuuge lol.

Yeah, I was looking at getting one of these since it does component too.

Need a HQ component video switch for my CRT

Peagles

I just use the PAL controllers with my SFC :p

I'll probably run from PVM to switch box, then to SCART switch, so I can use this new box to switch between SCART and component without having to get behind the PVM. Eventually I'll get rid of SCART altogether though I think. Hate the connectors tbh.

Khaz

I remember reading about his previous hack, where he simply drove the colour and sync signals to the electron beam. It really shows the simplicity of RGB, and why it's really the primary mean of displaying stuff on screen. The original signal goes straight from the PPU to the beams themselves and is directly useable without any decoding, processing or what have you. CRT are lag-free, the only delay is the speed of electricity in your AV cable (≈half the speed of light).

[edit] Don't try this at home guys, there is a very real risk of death when manipulating the insides of a CRT.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom