• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Urban Outfitters is selling clone N64 controllers

zeelman

Those controllers are $20 at other stores, kinda lame for UO to charge more for them, especially since they only have them in gray.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
A real hipster would troll at a thrift store for the real thing.. Gonna spend time there looking for iconic clothing anyway.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
3Diii.jpg

I know "retro" gaming is sort of in style but $30?

antonz

wouldn't there be some infringement issues with this controller? Its not only a knock off but its basically identical to the real thing. They didn't even attempt to 3rd party it up.

The number of people I knew in college that still regularly used N64s was staggering and all of their controllers were wrecked. These will actually sell.

Mario Kart and Smash mostly
I can confirm this sort of thing (as a graduate from a college that regularly ranks in those insipid "Most hipster colleges of 20XX" lists). It was those two, along with GoldenEye and Pokemon Stadium. Star Fox also had a brief period of extreme popularity around the time of the opening night for a Star Fox 64-based play, but disappeared shortly thereafter when everyone was sufficiently self-satisfied that they had proved their barrel-rolling credentials.

The number of people I knew in college that still regularly used N64s was staggering and all of their controllers were wrecked. These will actually sell.

I'd probably play my N64 more nowadays if it weren't for the fact that all my controllers are in pretty bad shape, with mostly the control sticks being bad.

Kwixotik

I've never understood why hipsters are into N64 games so much. At my college, N64s are the third most common game system after 360 and PS3. They're pretty popular. But I think that was a really awkward time for gaming in terms of graphics, music, and gameplay.

Orayn

I've never understood why hipsters are into N64 games so much. At my college, N64s are the third most common game system after 360 and PS3. They're pretty popular. But I think that was a really awkward time for gaming in terms of graphics, music, and gameplay.

Part of it is obviously nostalgia, but the N64 still had some pivotal local multiplayer games.

jooey

The Motorcycle That Wouldn't Slow Down
hey guys I'm pretty sure Urban Outfitters selling an N64 controller doesn't mean everyone in an age group that likes fun old video games is a hipster

Vormund

Better off heading to ebay and pick up some spare parts and repair an existing controller.

Also there is a replacement n64 stick that has a more GCN esque design.

Link

I'll never understand why you didn't understand this. It's the console they grew up with. Pretty simple.

freddy

Banned
I paid 20 bucks for a second hand controller that has the stick replaced with a new one. Saves me fucking around with it.

Quackula

Not even close, that would be the gamecube sir.

I can't even fathom how someone could consider the Gamecube or N64 worse than the Virtual Boy or 64DD (hey if 32X counts as its own console then why not this?)

Also Gamecube overall has a better library than the N64.

Jawmuncher

This.

Also if hipsters have latched onto N64 then that explains why the prices on so many N64 games have been skyrocketing lately...

This I knew something was going on and it indeed was that.
Why they decided to jump on the N64 is beyond me.

Erasus

But why?? Guess hipsters dont have computers to handle emulation.

Also urban outfitters do have nice clothes, but I´d nevah buy that.

"Those aren't as good."

They seemed confused as to why I even had a Wii. They were the strangest group of gamers I ever met. For them it seemed like nothing before or after the N64 era could be good.

Those are the best kinds of people i think. Idiosyncrasy is ridiculed in society pretty brutally. But without people like this life is way more boring.

Also, anyone truly "hip" would already have spent the 80 bucks for a Hori Mini a long time ago. Probably the yellow one.

Quackula

Those are the best kinds of people i think. Idiosyncrasy is ridiculed in society pretty brutally. But without people like this life is way more boring.

Also, anyone truly "hip" would already have spent the 80 bucks for a Hori Mini a long time ago. Probably the yellow one.

Always wanted to try out a Hori Mini. The d-pad on it looks like it'd piss me off though.

I'd probably go for the translucent aqua looking one.

Top Bottom