• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

US: $99 Xbox 360 + Kinect bundle coming with two-year subscription ($15 a month)

Boss Man

I want to hate everything Microsoft does with pricing, but honestly...I like it a lot. That price range (even with a monthly fee) will attract a ton of people. Game consoles around the $100 mark get a ton of penetration.

The problem is that $15 seems very steep for...whatever it is that you're subscribing to. If this was a $99 console without Kinect and like $7/month for two years that gets you Gold + $2 a month for the console cost and a warranty then I would be very impressed.

Do they let you make calls?

What does that have to do with using the device? Of course you need their phone service in order to use their phone service? This isn't a good parallel because you can still use the 360 as a gaming machine after the 2 years. You basically have a 360 with Silver at that point.

So only $40 more going by the normal $60 per year price? Because I often read how smart shoppers only pay $40 per year for Live.

Sale prices aren't relevent. You could probably find 360's and Kinects on sale too but no one is using sale prices for those to compare to this bundle.

The problem is that $15 seems very steep for...whatever it is that you're subscribing to.

The $15 a month is a payment, not a subscription fee.

Ehh.. I'm not sure I follow. Doesn't ordinary stores do this already in US. Buy and instead of paying everything immediately you can choose to pay a smaller sum each month for x amount of time? I must be missing something..

UberTag

What does that have to do with using the device? Of course you need their phone service in order to use their phone service? This isn't a good parallel because you can still use the 360 as a gaming machine after the 2 years. You basically have a 360 with Silver at that point.
You can still use the iPhone as a gaming machine if you default on your payments, too.
Granted, that's not perceived to be its "primary function" whereas gaming is perceived to be the Xbox 360's "primary function".
That's really the obstacle here. People's perceptions of device utility.

Ultimately the functionality you still have by defaulting on either payment plan with either device is pretty similar. In fact, you could make the argument that the Xbox 360 restricts things even more than the iPhone would given that certain apps would no longer work without Gold whereas these apps would work fine on an iPhone via Wi-Fi.

Perceptions are just that. Perceptions. They can be changed.

In fact, one time not so long ago people only considered iPod-style devices so they could listen to their music library anywhere.

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
Ehh.. I'm not sure I follow. Doesn't ordinary stores do this already in US. Buy and instead of paying everything immediately you can choose to pay a smaller sum each month for x amount of time? I must be missing something..

Do you mean layaway (you can't take the item home until you pay for it all)? OR No Money Down bullshit? That usually comes with an interest fee when you do start paying it back.

Jhriad

Do you HONESTLY Think after a 2 year lease period they'll say "oh, the device is yours!"

Of course the device will be yours. The question you're answering, that no one has asked, is if you continue to be billed a monthly fee after your contract is up. Essentially assuming, rightly so in the case of most consumers, that they would either forget to cancel the service or assume it was just a typical bill for the device. Since information on this whole thing seems to be pretty scant we can't say whether or not this is how it would all work out.

The $15 a month is a payment, not a subscription fee.

Until there's a Microsoft website detailing this contract you can't assume one way or the other. It's conceivable that the $15 a month contract would be for services like their music service, Live, etc. That would also provide them a door to continue charging the customer after their contract is up. Note that the original article says "a monthly subscription" not a monthly payment plan.

Yeah, store cards that act like credit cards. This is just Microsoft doing the financing for a $40 fee.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
It will cost $40 more to finance this bundle. That's not a bad deal. If you don't want Live, but want the hardware, you can buy that for $300 right now. This bundle is for people who want it all but don't have $420 to spend up front.

All that's going to happen is the lease option will remove the downward pressure on the MSRP prices of the standalone hardware. $600 console not selling? Instead of dropping the price to $400, just introduce a lease plan alternative that costs $99 up front and a 3 year contract of $15-20 a month. And bundle PSN+ so you can say people are getting a "deal" when you're just eliminating the possibility of users to choose a more bare-bones package.

In the first scenario, there will be users who pay only $400 to you. They will buy the system and opt not to buy PSN+ or whatever other service you provide and charge for.

In the latter option? You eliminate the possibility. Everyone has to either buy the barebones for $600, or get the lease plan for a prolonged $650 over a 3 year period. You WILL pay $600+, one way or the other, because they keep base prices high while providing "discounts" only on bundles rather than as an incentive to spur standalone product sales.

LCfiner

Man, it's amazing to me how MS has managed to keep their prices so high this far into the generation via the bundling of Kinect. If this subscription thing becomes popular, they'll be raking in the cash on this old hardware, even for a full year into the lifespan of their new machine.

Boss Man

That's basically a store credit card, and you'd likely end up paying a lot more interest over two years- especially for something in this price range. This is maybe a step below that. Apparently you're getting your money's "worth" or close to it, but a lot of it appears to come in things that most people won't want in the first place like an extended warranty, Kinect, and the streaming stuff.

So yeah, it's a similar concept but you're paying the extra cost back by subscribing to their services.

Unless there's a Microsoft website detailing this contract you can't assume one way or the other. It's conceivable that the $15 a month contract would for services like their music service, Live, etc. That would also provide them a door to continue charging the customer after their contract is up. Note that the original article says "a monthly subscription" not a monthly payment plan.

The way I am reading it is that you are buying a bundle, with Microsoft doing the financing.

$99 down, $15 a month for two years. At the end of the years, the contract is over and if you're credit card remains on file, they may charge you $60 for the next year of Live (unless you tell them not to).

The entire bundle is $420 cash or if you use Microsofts payment plan, $460.

All that's going to happen is the lease option will remove the downward pressure on the MSRP prices of the standalone hardware. $600 console not selling? Instead of dropping the price to $400, just introduce a lease plan alternative that costs $99 up front and a 3 year contract of $15-20 a month. And bundle PSN+ so you can say people are getting a "deal" when you're just eliminating the possibility of users to choose a more bare-bones package.

In the first scenario, there will be users who pay only $400 to you. They will buy the system and opt not to buy PSN+ or whatever other service you provide and charge for.

In the latter option? You eliminate the possibility. Everyone has to either buy the barebones for $600, or get the lease plan for a prolonged $650 over a 3 year period. You WILL pay $600+, one way or the other, because they keep base prices high while providing "discounts" only on bundles rather than as an incentive to spur standalone product sales.

So you are arguing against the principle of this. Fair enough.

StateofMind said:
That's basically a store credit card, and you'd likely end up paying a lot more interest over two years- especially for something in this price range.
Yeah I guess it's something like that. Although you can usually do it interest free or near interest free especially if you do the payment over a short period of time.

Do you need an income to do it like that in the US?

Jhriad

The way I am reading it is that you are buying a bundle, with Microsoft doing the financing.

Read this again:

subsidized with a monthly cost of $15. We're told that the two-year subscription will provide access to the Xbox Live Gold service and possibly some additional streaming content from cable providers or sports package providers.

That bolded section certainly seems to imply that what you're paying isn't necessarily a payment plan on the hardware itself but a service contract. I'm not saying it is one way or the other just to keep in mind it is a possibility. It could even be a precursor to something of a LIVE Platinum service that bundles in a lot more for a $15 fee for the next generation of consoles.

GaimeGuy

So you are arguing against the principle of this. Fair enough.

It's designed to gnaw away at your wallet gradually without you realizing, then "encouraging" you to sign up for expensive services by jackin the price up after you've become accustomed to using the service.

I'd rather companies be honest, upfront, and consistent in their pricing schemes.

Once again, no one is forcing anybody to do anything. They can make a choice, as a consumer, and say I'm not going to buy this.

Boss Man

I want to hate everything Microsoft does with pricing, but honestly...I like it a lot. That price range (even with a monthly fee) will attract a ton of people. Game consoles around the $100 mark get a ton of penetration.

The problem is that $15 seems very steep for...whatever it is that you're subscribing to. If this was a $99 console without Kinect and like $7/month for two years that gets you Gold + $2 a month for the console cost and a warranty then I would be very impressed.
Expanding on this:

Microsoft's main goal here is to get people subscribing to their services. If their main goal was to get people to buy the console and use subscriptions to counter the price drop it would be a lot more amicable and arguably even more effective than the way this seems to be laid out.

This seems more like you're paying them for the price drop and for services you probably don't want. I get the feeling that $15/month will just be a bit too steep for this to have as big of an impact as it could. Even if it was just knocked down to $10, $5 for Live and $5 for some crap no one cares about- but now you have a console and Microsoft has another subscriber, I think this would be a lot more successful.

Read this again:

That bolded section certainly seems to imply that what you're paying isn't necessarily a payment plan on the hardware itself but a service contract. I'm not saying it is one way or the other just to keep in mind it is a possibility.

That implies that you are really only paying $99 for the hardware. No, I believe this is merely a 2 year payment plan at the end of which you will own the hardware and have Live Silver unless you re-up for $60 a year.

GaimeGuy

Once again, no one is forcing anybody to do anything. They can make a choice, as a consumer, and say I'm not going to buy this.

And the more complicated the pricing plans gets, the easier it is for the company to "convince" someone to pay more.

No one is forcing you, they're just nudging you in a particular direction by changing the wya they present the cost to you. It's deceit

Somnid

And the more complicated the pricing plans gets, the easier it is for the company to "convince" someone to pay more.

This isn't true at all. The more complicated something gets (especially pricing) the more consumers are likely to say "fuck it." People actually hate juggling choices, especially complicated ones.

It's designed to gnaw away at your wallet gradually without you realizing, then "encouraging" you to sign up for expensive services by jackin the price up after you've become accustomed to using the service.

I'd rather companies be honest, upfront, and consistent in their pricing schemes.

So you are saying that they are offering a Live Plus service for 3 times the price of Live Gold and using the hardware bundle for $99 to draw people in.

I don't think that's the case but if it is, I am 100% against it, like you.

GaimeGuy

This isn't true at all. The more complicated something gets (especially pricing) the more consumers are likely to say "fuck it." People actually hate juggling choices, especially complicated ones.

That's why you make it SEEM Like a good deal at first glance and even a basic analysis. You want the bad part of the deal to only show up when someone says "what if it was priced this way instead?"

Sky Chief

I don't know how this can possibly work. How is MS going to collect the mandatory subscription? Are the stores that sell the $99 console going to sign a contract on the spot or is the console not going to work at all until you connect it to the internet? I don't see what is stopping someone from buying the console and then not signing up for the subscription.

Well, say you don't want to pay for Live or kinect in the first place. You can get the 4GB 360 for $199 now instead of being forced to pay $460. Hell, you can get the 4GB, hte kinect, andlive for $420 now. And tha'ts ignoring the fact that $120 of that $420 is a fee for peer to peer online gaming, a fee that only exists on the Xbox 360.

Enjoy being forced to buy bundles you don't want and have your reasonable "promotional period" prices turn into wallet rape once the promotional periods end. Does anyone feel happy when their cable/internet jumps from $60 a month to $150 after the promotional period ends? Because that's what you're going to get with all the BS media hub features on 360 with this new payment plan.

At least you don't get the rug pulled out from under you now with price hikes

Expect the lease option to be the only thing there next gen.

You're building up a hypothetical scenario that doesn't even reference the more applicable model (Cell phones).

Probably has had similar situations with cable/satellite contracts. Not an apples to apples comparison of course, but they do send you to collections if you don't return the equipment.

But MS has an incentive to let you keep the box after your contract is up - silver members can still buy boxed software, point cards, DLC, XBLA games, and various other subscription plans. Cable companies have nothing to offer you if you're not paying for their service. In fact, MS is counting on you continuing to buy software for your hardware. A warehouse full of repo'd 360s collecting dust doesn't make them any money.

*sigh* I'm talking about the price comparison. Read the things I'm quoting people. Price comparisons between the contract and retail + Live assume that the casual consumer would buy two years of live with the regular retail version.

There are other, cheaper products out there for people that want that sort of thing. Products that don't have a monthly fee attached. Roku & Boxee would be better options if that's the only thing you're using Live for. Hell, a PS3 would be a better option.

Again, with a Boxee or Roku, you don't get Kinect Sports and Call of Duty online. Games and interface are the differentiating factor here, as they've always been. MS is alleviating sticker shock to put themselves in competition with Roku and Boxee, while mitigating the risk that people would just buy it for a cheap media box by asking you to put in writing that you will pay for gaming-related services.

I don't know how this can possibly work. How is MS going to collect the mandatory subscription? Are the stores that sell the $99 console going to sign a contract on the spot or is the console not going to work at all until you connect it to the internet? I don't see what is stopping someone from buying the console and then not signing up for the subscription.

As of right now, it's only being offered in MS stores. So you'd sign up for it the same way you'd sign up for a phone contract, with all of your personal information and a credit check. They aren't just going to start handing out $99 360s and IOUs to everyone at Walmart.

What expensive services?

And who will be jacking up the price of what? You're not making sense, bro.

What expensive services?

I think he's saying that this Live+extras will constitute a seperate service from Live that will cost $15 a month (3 times the price of Live). The hardware is the trojan horse.

StevieP

Banned

This is a great option to pay for the beefier hardware that Microsoft will be selling you next gen. Instead of a $600 console taking a loss for MS, it can be a $300 console with a 2 year contract that's making them coin monthly.

Jhriad

That implies that you are really only paying $99 for the hardware. No, I believe this is merely a 2 year payment plan at the end of which you will own the hardware and have Live Silver unless you re-up for $60 a year.

It would hardly be the first time someone has subsidized hardware to get you hooked into a service. The service is far more lucrative for MS than the hardware and the initial loss on a 4GB 360 + Kinect would be recouped in 8-12 months of the $15 monthly service fee (remember we're not talking about RRP there we're talking about cost to MS). If the consumer purchases anything on those services, like say a game, movie, or music, the time until the hardware cost is recouped shrinks even more.

Brannon

Way I see it, the next-generation consoles may be a bit on the expensive side, and this could be a test to see if they can do the subscription model as it is done with phones.

Oh my.

GaimeGuy

What expensive services?

From the perspective of a consumer, these $15 monthly fees would probably "feel" like service charges, not payment plans on the hardware. Once the $15 monthly fee goes away, so, too, does their system's media center capabilities and the ability to play video games online.

The pricingp lan is designed to remove sticker shock while conditioning the user to respond to the recurring charges asthough they're associated with the services.

The user may even do a quick calculation and think they're getting a good deal by paying only $60 a year as opposed to the $180 a year divided into 12 monthly payments of $15 they were before.

The recurring service charges and the upfront fees get confounded from the perspective of the user

No one is forcing you, they're just nudging you in a particular direction by changing the wya they present the cost to you. It's deceit

So you're saying this is deceptive, and not forth coming?

What's stopping the customer from doing some research? Buying a game console isn't going to get as complicated as buying a home, no matter what kind of mumbo jumbo they come up with.

xxracerxx said:
One would hope.
Were I live you don't. Well up to a certain amount at least. I bought an PS3 for about $400 without an income at the time. Of course you can't have any unpaid debts though.

Jhriad

Again, with a Boxee or Roku, you don't get Kinect Sports and Call of Duty online. Games and interface are the differentiating factor here, as they've always been.

Again, you guys need to read what I'm responding to. I was responding to the reason to subscribe to LIVE being Netflix and other similar services. If that's the only reason you'd buy LIVE, in which case the price parity between the contract version and a retail version + Live is minimal, you're better off going with a non-monthly fee, cheaper box. That's it.

The reading comprehension in these responses...

Karak

Pretty much the old Dreamcast style deals they were offering. A really good idea to capture some more peeps.

I can see them test-beding this to test it for next gen systems and trying to offset the possible expensive prices of a next gen system. If it works here I could totally see them doing it on a new console.

Haunted

I... never thought about this.

Just imagine Sony and Microsoft going that route with the next generation hardware. $250 up front and 2 years of mandatory XBL/PSN subscription service ($15/month) with every purchase.

Way I see it, the next-generation consoles may be a bit on the expensive side, and this could be a test to see if they can do the subscription model as it is done with phones.

Oh my.
oh my indeed

It would hardly be the first time someone has subsidized hardware to get you hooked into a service. The service is far more lucrative for MS than the hardware and the initial loss on a 4GB 360 + Kinect would be recouped in 8-12 months of the $15 monthly service fee (remember we're not talking about RRP there we're talking about cost to MS). If the consumer purchases anything on those services, like say a game, movie, or music, the time until the hardware cost is recouped shrinks even more.

I can honestly say that I am now confused as to what this is so I can't make a solid judgement of it.

Is this merely a payment plan with a $40 financing fee? If so, I see no problem with it.

Is this a more expensive version of Live that is being carried by cheap harware? I would be against that because eventually, this version would become the new Gold and current Gold would become something like "online play only, no TV or internet applciations".

Jackl

But MS has an incentive to let you keep the box after your contract is up - silver members can still buy boxed software, point cards, DLC, XBLA games, and various other subscription plans. Cable companies have nothing to offer you if you're not paying for their service. In fact, MS is counting on you continuing to buy software for your hardware. A warehouse full of repo'd 360s collecting dust doesn't make them any money.

It does if they can resell them. Collect used equipment, refurbish, resell. Make same 200-600 dollars on the same machine. Sure theres parts, labor, and shipping. However with this method they could suppress the second hand market.

They may not do a lease model and rely on moderate financing instead, but there are incentives. Increasingly major players in the industry have been showing less reluctance on exploiting those factors.

Jackl

Oh my.

Could work, long as the don't get greedy. Once saturation hits and your competition offers similar value for less the model loses viability.

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
Locking people into an ecosystem is a cell phone thing? Huh?

I didn't understand your ecosystem comment then, I thought you meant more of the payment plan to us the product.

If you are talking about companies wanting to lock in brand loyalty then that is an every company playbook move.

Again, you guys need to read what I'm responding to. I was responding to the reason to subscribe to LIVE being Netflix and other similar services. If that's the only reason you'd buy LIVE, in which case the price parity between the contract version and a retail version + Live is minimal, you're better off going with a non-monthly fee, cheaper box. That's it.

The reading comprehension in these responses...

You were responding to a poster that already owned a 360 though. No one is going to buy MS' box unless they are, at even the most minimal level, interested in traditional console games or Kinect. And Kinect, as an interface, is now a selling point in and of itself for MS' box.

It does if they can resell them. Collect used equipment, refurbish, resell. Make same 200-600 dollars on the same machine. Sure theres parts, labor, and shipping. However with this method they could suppress the second hand market.

They may not do a lease model and rely on moderate financing instead, but there are incentives. Increasingly major players in the industry have been showing less reluctance on exploiting those factors.

Now if someone signs a 2-year contract for a refurb 360, then I'd have to say they were out of their minds.

Top Bottom