• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

US Forest Service: Over 60 million trees in California have died so far in 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
http://www.sfgate.com/news/article/Unprecedented-More-than-100-million-trees-10624642.php

California’s lingering drought has pushed the number of dead trees across the state past 100 million, an ecological event experts are calling dangerous and unprecedented in underlining the heightened risk of wildfires fueled by bone-dry forests.

In its latest aerial survey released Friday, the U.S. Forest Service said 62 million trees have died this year in California, bringing the six-year total to more than 102 million.

Scientists blame five-plus years of drought on the increasing tree deaths — tree “fatalities” increased by 100 percent in 2016 — but the rate of their demise has been much faster than expected, increasing the risk of ecologically damaging erosion and wildfires even bigger than the largest blazes the state’s seen this year.

“It’s not beyond the pale to suggest that this is a pretty unprecedented event in at least recent history,” said Adrian Das, an ecologist with the U.S. Geological Survey.

There are about 21 million acres of trees spread across California’s 18 national forests, and the latest figures show 7.7 million of them — more than one-third — are dead.

The U.S. Forest Service has earmarked $43 million in California to help restore eroded sections of roads and trails throughout the state’s wooded areas, but officials say too much money is being spent on fighting wildfires that are becoming more and more common, as opposed to restoring the scarred forests.

The majority of the 102 million dead trees are in the southern and central Sierra Nevada region, the survey found, but the Forest Service also warned of tree deaths on the rise in northern regions, especially in Siskiyou, Modoc, Plumas and Lassen counties.

Rising temperatures throughout the state aren’t helping matters, and neither are the persevering infestations of bark beetles fond of gnawing through pine trees stressed by drought, leaving in their wake thousands of acres of brown, dead wood.

From his base in Sequoia National Park, Das said pines are dying faster than firs, but all the acres of trees he studies have been drying out and falling over faster than they should.

Tree mortality, and what drives it, “is still a poorly understood process,” Das said, adding that one of few immediate upsides to the stands of dying trees is that scientists can better study what specifically is causing their demise.

The old-growth forests he studies — resplendent with massive sequoia trees and sugar pines that often live for centuries — are changing more rapidly than he has ever seen, a matter of months in what usually unfolds over years or decades.

RSP

Horrible stuff needs to happen in your backyard to make you understand the importance and severity.

I just can't imagine the state without its National Forests. They have been a huge part of my life and it's really depressing to hear the situation isn't getting any better.

With that, it feels like there is nothing I can readily do. :(

olympia

I clicked the gate article but an ad obscured the page. Any mention of Sudden Oak Death? I know that has been a serious problem here in the past year and it's still uncertain if that disease is related to the drought or not.

Theonik

The sooner humanity kills itself off the better the planet will be.
California is an odd case since the climate was always dry there. Humans attempted to terraform it.
Though what we are seeing now is a combination of human intervention and climate change.

California is an odd case since the climate was always dry there. Humans attempted to terraform it. Though what we are seeing now is a combination of human intervention and climate change.

Yes, but the current drought is of unprecedented dryness, and climate change has significantly contributed to the severity

https://www.nsf.gov/news/news_summ.jsp?cntn_id=138232&org=NSF

http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/2015GL064593/full

http://www.pnas.org/content/112/13/3931.abstract

GhaleonEB

There are about 21 million acres of trees spread across California’s 18 national forests, and the latest figures show 7.7 million of them — more than one-third — are dead.
I had no idea 1) it was that bad, and 2) that the drought was continuing. For some reason I thought it had abated somewhat.

Theonik

The notion that humanity is killing the planet is not very accurate. Humanity is the one you should be worrying about or at least our current civilisation. Nature will recover over time.

Yes, but the current drought is of unprecedented dryness, and climate change has significantly contributed to the severity
I am not disputing this. Simply stating that what people think of California's natural climate and its actual climate don't necessarily correlate.

Would a decreased tree count and continued drought eventually lead way to turning California into some kind of massively desert environment like northern Africa? Or would that simply take too many years for us to notice?

Gnome

Is this for real or just edgy?

I don't think anyone is saying that we should die. That would be dumb, if humanity dies then that means much of life on Earth dies too. If we're not talking about life when we talk of saving the Earth, then wtf are we talking about? A big indifferent rock?

Sulik2

The sooner humanity kills itself off the better the planet will be.

Humanity has a large and resourceful population, unless it involves nuclear war or biological war, both of which could be very bad for all other life on the planet, humans will likely survive.

What is going to happen is global organized human civilization is going to collapse under ecological and sociological pressures in the next 80 to 150 years along with a mass die off of humans that are sustained by complex technologies. That will still be much better for the planet, but Earth will probably never be rid of humanity completely while the sun is still yellow.

It sucks. SoCal has been dry, dry, dry for years. Shit, we were still in the 90's over here until last week. I'm worried the dumbasses running this state are going to let the southern half go bone dry in order to keep the farming industry alive as long as possible.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
It sucks. SoCal has been dry, dry, dry for years. Shit, we were still in the 90's over here until last week. I'm worried the dumbasses running this state are going to let the southern half go bone dry in order to keep the farming industry alive as long as possible.
I think you might have larger dumbasses to worry about.

Madness

Would a decreased tree count and continued drought eventually lead way to turning California into some kind of massively desert environment like northern Africa? Or would that simply take too many years for us to notice?

california-drought-2014.jpg

It has already started. Californians had their heads in the sand. Massive estates and golf courses and car washes and ridiculous amounts of water used for crops just to maintain their laviash lifestyle etc.

SpecX

california-drought-2014.jpg

It has already started. Californians had their heads in the sand. Massive estates and golf courses and car washes and ridiculous amounts of water used for crops just to maintain their laviash lifestyle etc.
I'll give you the estates and golf courses, but car washes recycle their water and the crops go to the entire country, not just California. If you'd like, we can stop and see how the rest of the country likes the effects of our drought.

Skinpop

I'll give you the estates and golf courses, but car washes recycle their water and the crops go to the entire country, not just California. If you'd like, we can stop and see how the rest of the country likes the effects of our drought.

doesn't matter where it goes if fresh water is decreasing though...

SpecX

doesn't matter where it goes if fresh water is decreasing though...
I agree, but it isn't just a state problem. The entire country is going to have to be on board and accept the change. If California suddenly stopped producing some of the things they made, there would be so much uproar especially with soon to be Prez Trump.

Madness

You are talking about now. California has been wasteful with their water for decades. So even if the drought is recent, wastefulness in California has been slow to adapt. Why do you guys get up in arms and threaten to cut off agricultural products lol. If you stop, you lose jobs, means of earning, living ability.

https://www.cdfa.ca.gov/statistics/

Pretty sure that the rest of the country would understand if almonds and walnuts and grapes were no longer in domestic abundance. In fact, to water the state's almond farms, they use more water than the entire cities of LA and San Franciso in a year etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom