• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

US GAF: Support your national soccer team

Status
Not open for further replies.

NoRéN

timetokill said:
So it's something like....

1. Football (NFL)
2. College football (NCAAF)
3. Baseball (MLB)
4. Basketball (NBA)
5. College basketball (NCAAB)
6. UFC/MMA
7. Ice Hockey (NHL)
8. Women's Beach Volleyball
9. Little League World Series (LLS)
10. Soccer

:p
All the more reason to support the Yanks. If they can go out and represent the country in a sport that most of the country does not care about, and make it to the premeire tournament and the top team in the region, I think that deserves some support.

Madman

xbhaskarx said:
1.American football (NFL)
2.Baseball (MLB)
3.Basketball (NBA)
4.Ice Hockey (NHL)
I would have guessed basketball above baseball, but 4 and especially 1 I knew. Pretty sure they referred to as the Big Four.

JBuccCP

From a Harris Poll I found on US sports popularity:

x3e59x.jpg

m9vm3d.jpg

NoRéN said:
All the more reason to support the Yanks. If they can go out and represent the country in a sport that most of the country does not care about, and make it to the premeire tournament and the top team in the region, I think that deserves some support.

Hey, like I said -- I will cheer them to beat any team that cares about the sport more than we do. Which is everybody :lol

But at the same time, if we lose it's a shoulder-shrug kind of moment, then I go back to whatever else I was doing and forget about soccer until the next World Cup.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
So I am just starting to get in to soccer/futbol, what are the main things I should know? My brother played for 5 or 6 years as a kid so I know a small bit.

Talon

Deadly Cyclone said:
So I am just starting to get in to soccer/futbol, what are the main things I should know? My brother played for 5 or 6 years as a kid so I know a small bit.
Counterattacking football.

America plays it (out of necessity).

Italy and Portugal are diving snitches (except for Deco. I lie, I just like that mofo). England will lose in some heartbreaking way to a clearly inferior team. Spain will likely follow England's lead despite being favorites. Argentina has as much talent as anybody, but they're led by an egotistical cokefiend that doesn't know shit about managing.

Think of Diego Maradona this way: Napoleon Complex + Mental Capcity of Brad Childress + Ego of 80s Steinbrenner + Blabbermouth of Mark Cuban + HORRIBLE, IDIOTIC Political Opinions

Get'sMad

The US is my 1st since I'm, well, American, but my 2nd team is the Netherlands since I'm an 1/8th Dutch and have some relatives still living over in Amsterdam.

arstal

Whine Whine FADC Troll
What happens when counterattackers play counterattackers?

Doesn't Slovenia use the same style?

Talon

Also, realize that there will be at least one game (if not more) where the midfield can't seem to string together more than 3 sharp passes before losing the ball on a weak challenge. I feel bad for Clint Dempsey and Michael Bradley.

'tis a frustrating thing to watch.

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
bill0527 said:
Just when I think I can't handle more sports in my life... I started to get into soccer this year.

I've never been a fan. I've made it 36 years without caring. The biggest problem with soccer, for me personally, is that I don't want to waste 2+ hours of my life watching a game that can end in a 0-0 or 1-1 tie. Not enough scoring to keep me entertained, and I don't know enough about the strategy of the game to be entertained by that aspect of it. Its kind of the same reason why I'm not a big fan of baseball until the playoffs. Pitcher's duels put me to sleep.

With that said though, I did catch some of the Premiere league this year on ESPN2 and FSN. I was very entertained by watching Chelsea put a beating on a bunch of poor slobs during the last game of the season. I think it was something like 8-0 in the 75th minute.

I do have a question though about the games I watched. Sometimes the game doesn't end in the 90th minute like its supposed to, even if there isn't a tie. Sometimes it even seemed arbitrary as to how much time they would play past the regulation time of the game. Can anyone explain this to me?
You mentioned it already but any sport can have a dull game, basketball scores are so high that it's not really a big deal everytime someone scores.

One of the better things about football, and something I didn't realize was different in American sports until I got into the NFL, is the whole running up the score. Just doesn't exist outside of the US and teams will try and kick the other team when they're down, and it's glorious.

As for not ending, stoppage time http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stoppage_time#Duration_and_tie-breaking_methods

Hopefully you guys can beat England, after that I don't really care though it would be nice to see Edu do well. Last time I saw Beasley play he was utter shit and could barely handle playing against fucking Hibs, not sure if he got any better as the season went on.

NoRéN

Ikuu said:
Hopefully you guys can beat England, after that I don't really care though it would be nice to see Edu do well. Last time I saw Beasley play he was utter shit and could barely handle playing against fucking Hibs, not sure if he got any better as the season went on.
Scottish, are you? 'Gers fan?

mil6es

Its good to see more Americans getting into football, from the outside looking in I've always perceived it to be a shunned sport in the country

NoRéN

mil6es said:
Its good to see more Americans getting into football, from the outside looking in I've always perceived it to be a shunned sport in the country
Americans love a winner. That said, I really hope more people get into it.

Good luck to you guys. You should make it out of the group with us but I'm afraid we'll be needing those points in the first game. Don't get too down heartened when we beat you. :D

We, of course, will be going out in the quarters on penalties...

Opiate

I actually think we should actively ignore our soccer team.

This way, if and when they finally win something important, Americans can collectively say: "We won what? Oh, I guess that's cool." Beating the rest of the world at a game we are so clearly uninterested in would be particularly amusing in a sadistic way.

I know it's frustrating to have the winners congratulating themselves and yelling, "neener neener," but I imagine it would be exponentially more frustrating if the winners didn't even care about the game in the first place.

I'm sure we've all "lost" to someone in some manufactured competition that they didn't even know they were competing in.

Zutroy

Since I lived in the US for a year, and probably nobody in the US is, I decided to back them this year in the world cup.

I've already bought the strip (which is pretty nice IMO).

Being in Englands group helped with my decision =P

Ela Hadrun

Probably plays more games than you
Thanks for the info! Even the official sites are a pain to get any info out of. It's all WATCH COLLEGE FIELD HOCKEY ON ESPN 4 flashing in the sidebars or whatever.

But I can't only watch one team's matches. Who should I be rooting for in the other groups? F is locked up I've got a good friend from Milan.

But yeah as a two-generations-removed Irishwoman I'll be gunning for those Englishmen. Take 'em down, boys!

I can get behind this.

As long as we get in to the second round, I will be happy.

I am extremely excited for the England match, but at the same time, I'm quite anxious.

BobDylan

I wish soccer was big here in the states like other places in the world. I love the NFL but other than that I dont really follow any other sports so for me soccer comes second. although I pay attention to european soccer much more than whats going on here in the states.

shoplifter

Back line is looking not so hot tonight.

Edit: hey Robbie, how about taking some strikes like that with your club team

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom