• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

US plans new sanctions for North Korea

Status
Not open for further replies.

brian577

Banned
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-39723747

President Donald Trump's strategy was announced after a special briefing for US senators.
Earlier, the top US commander in the Pacific defended the deployment of an advanced missile defence system in South Korea.
Tensions have risen amid fears the North is planning new weapons tests.
"The United States seeks stability and the peaceful denuclearization of the Korean peninsula," said a joint statement issued by Secretary of State Rex Tillerson, Defense Secretary Jim Mattis and Director of National Intelligence Dan Coats.
"We remain open to negotiations towards that goal. However, we remain prepared to defend ourselves and our allies."

Sanity wins for once?

Sanctions really are useless though. 90% of DPRK's trade is with China, so until China really goes gung ho with its own sanctions, petty little US/EU sanctions won't do anything.

Cagey

Banned
Sanctions really are useless though. 90% of DPRK's trade is with China, so until China really goes gung ho with its own sanctions, petty little US/EU sanctions won't do anything.
Targeted sanctions to cut off the leadership slush fund has worked in the past.

4Tran

Wake me up when China places sanctions on North Korea.
That happened two weeks ago.

but wait, I thought sanctions didn't work
They don't. Sanctions are more a political message than something that actually achieves results. What happens is that the poor in a country that suffers from sanctions will bear the burdens while the elites are relatively unaffected. Offhand, the only time that I can think of sanctions working was the arms embargo against Iraq. The Iraqi Army was unable to rearm after the Gulf War so they fell apart quite easily during the American invasion.

guek

Banned
They don't. Sanctions are more a political message than something that actually achieves results. What happens is that the poor in a country that suffers from sanctions will bear the burdens while the elites are relatively unaffected. Offhand, the only time that I can think of sanctions working was the arms embargo against Iraq. The Iraqi Army was unable to rearm after the Gulf War so they fell apart quite easily during the American invasion.

I know, I'm just echoing a GOP talking point used nonstop against Obama.

jmdajr

Does anyone doing sanctions even do business with North Korea in the first place? How does that shit even work?

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
Kinda thought we've had sanctions on them in 100 different ways already?

They do like 85% of their business through China. Seems like they're the only ones who can actually put economic pressure on them.

geomon

They do like 85% of their business through China. Seems like they're the only ones who can actually put economic pressure on them.

The top export destinations of North Korea are China ($2.34B), India ($97.8M), Pakistan ($43.1M), Burkina Faso ($32.8M) and Other Asia ($26.7M). The top import origins are China ($2.95B), India ($108M), Russia ($78.2M), Thailand ($73.8M) and the Philippines ($53.2M).

That info is a few years out of date but you get the picture.

guek

Banned
At this point is there anything more they can sanction?

"Let it be known hereby that the international community shall refer to Kim Jung Un as Kim Fat Loon, until such a time that Kim Fat Loon no longer threatens the sanctity of nuclear peace"

V

Vilix

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah, like that'll work. We need to place sanctions on Chinese banks that do business with NK. This will hopefully get China to start getting serious about the situation.

Chittagong

Gold Member
Sanctions are a really bad outcome. They make the poor suffer even more, not the elite. Either take over DPRK by force, or let them do nukes, but not fucking sanctions.

OG Kush

Am I wrong in thinking sanctions only really harm the innocent citizens of the county who have nothing to do with their crazy government?

China is the top trade partner for sure but there are so many others over the years, we only see what is reported but when you are avoiding sanction there are many ways to get around this. China can't really keep them from finding other partners but they can do a lot of damage.

The top export destinations of North Korea are China ($2.34B), India ($97.8M), Pakistan ($43.1M), Burkina Faso ($32.8M) and Other Asia *South Korea ($26.7M).

The top import origins are China ($2.95B), India ($108M), Russia ($78.2M), Thailand ($73.8M) and the Philippines ($53.2M).

http://atlas.media.mit.edu/en/profile/country/prk/

I think they might have had a larger black market trading going on since those many sanctions. It is not that easy to keep a country from making money if it has resources to trade.

Branduil

That happened two weeks ago.

Sanctions worked against Iran. Of course the key seems to be that the country in question actually wants the sanctions lifted.

Chittagong

Gold Member

This is fake new of sorts. Nobody but the absolute elite can afford to drive a car, and nobody can drive cars from one town to another, so somebody 'paying more' for petrol in Pyongyang is a laughable idea. Here's a picture I took on one of the country's main highways, middle of the day:

ZMWMwKm.png

Everybody walks or bikes. Sanctions don't do shit anymore.

RinsFury

Sadly it will be the long suffering North Korean citizens that will be hurt by this, Kim Jong Un and the rest of the elite will continue to live like Kings. I hope soon the day will come that they will all be put on trial for their crimes against humanity.

Am I wrong in thinking sanctions only really harm the innocent citizens of the county who have nothing to do with their crazy government?

this is kinda the point of these things, it is what they are designed to do. Hurt the people and hope they revolt and take down the government.

They don't work very well when your Dear Leader is like a God who tells you the evil outsiders are causing your suffering.

jmdajr

This is fake new of sorts. Nobody but the absolute elite can afford to drive a car, and nobody can drive cars from one town to another, so somebody 'paying more' for petrol in Pyongyang is a laughable idea. Here's a picture I took on one of the country's main highways, middle of the day:

ZMWMwKm.png

Everybody walks or bikes. Sanctions don't do shit anymore.

crazy. It's like going into the past.

4Tran

Sanctions worked against Iran. Of course the key seems to be that the country in question actually wants the sanctions lifted.
Sanctions were imposed on Iran in 1980. Taking over 30 years to see results is an interesting definition of "worked".

this is kinda the point of these things, it is what they are designed to do. Hurt the people and hope they revolt and take down the government.
Publicly, sanctions are a way to "do something" in response to a foreign government's unpopular action. Realistically, it's meant to be a gesture of action when no real action can take place. I don't think anyone expects that sanctions will spark a revolution, or even that a revolution is a desired outcome.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom