• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Reuters: Entire Senate to Attend Briefing on North Korea at White House

Status
Not open for further replies.
If we go ahead and attack in some fashion without clearing it with RoK, they'll demand us to withdraw from the country. I know 45 is a monumental tool but I can't see him going forward with a strike if the risk is costing us an ally.

He said England helped Obama to spy on him. He yelled at the President of Mexico for money for the wall. He handed Merkel a bill for 60 billion dollars. He cursed out the PM of Australia because he didn't know about the refuge deal.

Culex

Banned
" I'm glad everyone has gathered here to my tremendously White House. As you all know , my enormous electoral college win..."

I don't buy the Seoul Defense

Seoul getting wrecked is not going to keep North Korea safe

I don't think MAD is going to play either

I think the US hopes their missile shield system works as tested.

I am not saying we will ever need to Nuke NK but there are plenty on non-nuke bombs

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I assume Kiefer Sutherland is not attending.

Cagey

Banned
In a death scenario, DPRK's regime isn't going down in flames and merely attempting to take Seoul down with them.

They're pointing whatever else they've got at Tokyo, which is likely the US's number one concern; Seoul second.

In a death scenario, DPRK's regime isn't going down in flames and merely attempting to take Seoul down with them.

They're pointing whatever else they've got at Tokyo, which is likely the US's number one concern; Seoul second.

Why would they do that?

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Why would they do that?
The regime was founded on anti-Japanese sentiment, owing to the fact that Japan occupied Korea for 50 years, and the communists sought to drive them out.

It's also the nearest major Western capital they can hit (outside of Korea).

Xando

The bigger question is how? North Korean missile tests almost universally fail so they have no reliable way of hitting Tokyo.

They have multiple times successfully tested mid range missiles that are capable of carrying chemical and nuclear warheads estimated to range well beyond japan and maybe capable of getting to Guam.
Japan and SK are their form of MAD. If the US attacks them and they're not able to hit US soil they'll retaliate against US allies and forces in SK/japan.

Japan 4th

South korea 6th

Singapore 19th

There are many trading partners North Korea could attack to get back at us but I feel these are the top 3 on the chopping block.

Unless they somehow have working ICBMs they won't be able to hit singapore.

wildfire

Banned

Japan 4th

South korea 6th

Singapore 19th

There are many trading partners North Korea could attack to get back at us but I feel these are the top 3 on the chopping block.

TyrantII

A strike on NK means Seoul is shelled and Japan will probably see attacks. The countries we've protected for years.

If we could strike, we would have long ago.

This administration is stupid enough do something so damaging unilaterally, thus turning our allies in Asia against the west.

In a world where Indonesia, Russia, and China are advancing their own global interests, that be terrible self harming for the US.

The bigger question is how? North Korean missile tests almost universally fail so they have no reliable way of hitting Tokyo.

Buckshot isn't a sniper round. They're not targeting strategic objectives to remove them on the war board, but to retaliate and cause as much damage as possible.

Cagey

Banned
Japan 4th

South korea 6th

Singapore 19th

While an attack may look like revenge against the US in the event of an American strike (preemptive or responsive) to eliminate the mafia/regime currently running DPRK, that's a bit self-centered to see the motivation as revenge.

The thinking wouldn't be "let's reduce Tokyo to rubble to stick it in America's eye!" but "if we're going down, our enemies are going down too" and Japan is right near the top of that list. Japan and the US being close allies is like a synergy multiplier of pleasing them.
They have multiple times successfully tested mid range missiles that are capable of carrying chemical and nuclear warheads estimated to range well beyond japan and maybe capable of getting to Guam.
Japan and SK are their form of MAD. If the US attacks them and they're not able to hit US soil they'll retaliate against US allies and forces in SK/japan.
Right. It's MAD-adjacent. The ability to conventionally destroy two enormous, densely populated, highly important metropolises is what has kept the US from ending the DPRK threat years or even decades ago.

If Seoul sat at the southernmost coast of ROK, we'd likely have been living in a world with a unified Korean state for some time now.

Push comes to shove, China wouldn't have started a nuclear-armed WW3 over the annoying barking dog on their NE border.

Similarly, the US isn't starting a nuclear-armed WW3 over whatever may have previously transpired in Taiwan.

Bebpo

Banned
He cant actually go to war, right? Seoul would be doomed the moment it starts

One of my concerns is that Trump and part of his associates & base that are racists don't see Asian people as important since they aren't white. Bomb NK and the only sacrifice is a few hundred thousand Asian people in some distant across the ocean ally countries of non-whites? Sounds great to white supremacists.

The deterrent of collateral damage in SK/Japan only works if you have humane people who cares about the SKs and Japanese and I'm not sure Trump cares about anyone other than himself.

Akuun

Looking for meaning in GAF
Trump has already shown a complete disregard for civilian casualties. He probably isn't even aware that they will occur if he does anything with NK. And Seoul has MILLIONS of people.

A few million lives lost? No problem! Just look at the ratings he's getting on TV! And his poll numbers among his fanbase!

TyrantII

I don't buy the Seoul Defense

Seoul getting wrecked is not going to keep North Korea safe

I don't think MAD is going to play either

I think the US hopes their missile shield system works as tested.

I am not saying we will ever need to Nuke NK but there are plenty on non-nuke bombs

Seoul is 30 miles from NK and right NOW has hundreds and hundreds of artillery sites targeted on it. They're literally under the gun.

We can't stop artillery, not to mention the question on how effective our anti missle shileds really are.

shiba5

One of my concerns is that Trump and part of his associates & base that are racists don't see Asian people as important since they aren't white. Bomb NK and the only sacrifice is a few hundred thousand Asian people in some distant across the ocean ally countries of non-whites? Sounds great to white supremacists.

The deterrent of collateral damage in SK/Japan only works if you have humane people who cares about the SKs and Japanese and I'm not sure Trump cares about anyone other than himself.

They don't see the blue states on the West Coast as important either. I don't know how many times I've seen this sentiment on Facebook: "Oh well, it's just CA/Hawaii/Seattle/etc... and stupid Liberals. Good riddance."

4Tran

Buckshot isn't a sniper round. They're not targeting strategic objectives to remove them on the war board, but to retaliate and cause as much damage as possible.
North Korea only has limited strategic resources. They're going to reserve them on targets they can reliably hit. It serves North Korea more to have the rest of the world think that they can hit Japan than it does to actually dedicate the resources to actually doing so.

jstripes

Banned
If Seoul sat at the southernmost coast of ROK, we'd likely have been living in a world with a unified Korean state for some time now.

I still find it strange that they spent the last 50 or so years building up such an important, gigantic metropolis within artillery range of a hostile country they were still technically at war with.

brian577

Banned
I really think some of you need to calm down. I think this is the White House just laying out its policy towards NK with a little bit of theatrics.

Trump recently told the UN they need to implement further sanctions. This is a comprehensive strategy to put pressure on NK.

All 100 Senators in the same room at the same time?

giphy.gif

TyrantII

North Korea only has limited strategic resources. They're going to reserve them on targets they can reliably hit. It serves North Korea more to have the rest of the world think that they can hit Japan than it does to actually dedicate the resources to actually doing so.

So you think they're bluffing, and you're going to call it and allow Seoul to be turned to rubble with conventional artillery?

That's a lot to put on the line. Why hasn't the US sent a strike force in already before NK can amass more strategic resources?

I don't think they can reliable hit the US yet. But they can and will retaliate in the region. If the US acts alone, no eastern government will be able to survive the anger from their citizens of the US acting alone.

4Tran

So you think they're bluffing, and you're going to call it and allow Seoul to be turned to rubble with conventional artillery?

That's a lot to put on the line. Why hasn't the US sent a strike force in already before NK can amass more strategic resources?
I don't think that anyone has any interest in starting the Korean War again, not even North Korea. The thing is that nobody has any real idea how to fix this mess, not the US, not the Koreas, and not China.

On the other point, everything that North Korea does feels like a bluff. They're a pufferfish; making themselves look more dangerous than they are to deter aggression.

Miggytronz

The reason I'm not too concerned about this is we haven't heard about some mass evacuation or fortification of the tens of thousands of US troops stationed all over Eastern Asia and Pacific. That would be the precursor to any attack. North Korea isn't Syria, we can't just attack them with impunity with US personnel in range of their weapons.

This. Just keep an eye for information like this. Then we'll know.

Until something happens, nothing is happening!

OK... ?
Well, yes, that is how it works. Before any strike, you would need to move a ton of people in place for any possible fallout and retaliation. So unless we see indications that is going on, I don't think a meeting at the White House should be taken as evidence for an upcoming declaration of war.

Cagey

Banned
I don't think that anyone has any interest in starting the Korean War again, not even North Korea. The thing is that nobody has any real idea how to fix this mess, not the US, not the Koreas, and not China.

On the other point, everything that North Korea does feels like a bluff. They're a pufferfish; making themselves look more dangerous than they are to deter aggression.

The Kim regime in DPRK has no desire to start a war because a war means the end of the regime, without question.

A mafia runs that country. Seriously: DRPK historically generated its regime's foreign money slush fund money through counterfeiting US currency and selling synthetic drugs, in addition to enriching themselves from control of the state apparatus.

When the US froze a mere $25 million (million, not billion!) in DPRK assets held at the (edit) a bank in Macau, they stormed and tantrummed... right back to the damn negotiating table.

Like any organized crime outfit, they're not going to destroy themselves for misguided principles. If it doesn't make dollars, it doesn't make sense.

Xando

Well, yes, that is how it works. Before any strike, you would need to move a ton of people in place for any possible fallout and retaliation. So unless we see indications that is going on, I don't think a meeting at the White House should be taken as evidence for an upcoming declaration of war.

Well so far we've only had reports of the chinese moving troops to the NK border and russians moving troops to the far east for "drills" and also chinese bombers put on unusual high alert.

I'm not sure there would be many US movements since they'll probaby try to carpet bomb the DMZ if war breaks out.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
This sounds like the Colon Powell - Satellite Photos of fake WMDs meeting back during Bush II.
This is what I thought of at first. My guess, and this is gonna sound super conspirational, is that he is gonna try to build support for a full on assault of NK, but wants to do it with legislative approval.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom