• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Trump “I hate everyone in the White House!” (Vanity Fair)

DJ Gunner

They're worried about losing his base. They'd have probably done it straight away if he had little REAL support among their voters and just begrudgingly voted him in as the Republican candidate, rather than actively and eagerly slurping up his shit.

For the sake of the world they might have to just surrender that base.

This, 100%. The problem is that "base" is gaining strength on a daily basis and Bannon is now leading the charge. The man is literally Emperor Palpatine. I believe very much that there is a real threat to establishment GOP members and that threat grows with every anti-Trump vote and statement they make. If the "base" keeps gaining power the forces elected to replace the establishment are going to be 100x more destructive and we will have reached the point of no return. I don't want to think about what comes after that, honestly.

giphy.gif

I wish he'd just admit defeat already. But he won't be satisfied until everyone is gone and he's the only one left.
Honestly, quitting is probably his only path to forgiveness. If he stays, X% of the population will haunt him to the end of his days. And probably after. Little Barron will have to apologize so much.

Boem

Honest question because I don't know: how does launching a nuclear attack actually work?

I'm willing to believe Trump wants to do it, but he can't make that decision on his own right? He's got his own government to work with, and countless international agreements - I don't believe there's a magic button he can push himself. Launching a nuclear attack out of nowhere, to whatever country, would surely be a serious war crime (or whatever the correct term would be)?

What I'm asking is: what would be the series of events that would lead to a possible nuclear attack by the US (in a strike first scenario)? Asking because of all this fear of Trump going nuclear - I just never imagined it could be as easy as people often imply these days.

Doesn't make his words and actions less dangerous of course, but I can't see that final step being that likely.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
Soo ..
he doesn't want to president.
democrats don't want him to president.
and even republicans don't want him as president.

Why is Trump still the president?

Because of his ego. In Trump's mind, everyone is either a winner or a loser. It's like his old gameshow. He won the election, he's a winner. If he resigns or gets forced out, he will be a loser. He will never accept that, Trump never loses.

Furyous

The most crazy thing is that Bannon told Trump that he can get impeached by his cabinet (25th Amendment) and Trump had no clue about it. Bannon believes that Trump only has a 30% chance of staying a full term.

For fuck's sake these odds need to increase by next fall. We need to get his approval rating down to 27% with an announcement that Mueller report comes out one week before midterms.

I am cheerleading harder for Trump and his administration to disgracefully leave office than 99% of Republicans (minus me with my fellow 1%ers) cheered for Obama's exit for 8 years.

Gutek

Honest question because I don't know: how does launching a nuclear attack actually work?

I'm willing to believe Trump wants to do it, but he can't make that decision on his own right? He's got his own government to work with, and countless international agreements - I don't believe there's a magic button he can push himself. Launching a nuclear attack out of nowhere, to whatever country, would surely be a serious war crime (or whatever the correct term would be)?

What I'm asking is: what would be the series of events that would lead to a possible nuclear attack by the US (in a strike first scenario)? Asking because of all this fear of Trump going nuclear - I just never imagined it could be as easy as people often imply these days.

Doesn't make his words and actions less dangerous of course, but I can't see that final step being that likely.

https://www.bloomberg.com/politics/graphics/2016-nuclear-weapon-launch/

shiba5

Honestly, quitting is probably his only path to forgiveness. If he stays, X% of the population will haunt him to the end of his days. And probably after. Little Barron will have to apologize so much.

Only pardons grant forgiveness - and he has total control of those.

Because of his ego. In Trump's mind, everyone is either a winner or a loser. It's like his old gameshow. He won the election, he's a winner. If he resigns or gets forced out, he will be a loser. He will never accept that, Trump never loses.

Trump also said that he never settles in court, yet he settled in court for the Trump University scam.

I mean, he'll never "lose" in his mind - I expect him to cling to whatever attention he can get after his presidency - but there's still a possibility of booting him or him resigning while bitching about how "the mainstream media undermined his agenda".

The thing is: I understand Trump. He is an aging narcissist who will die in the forseeable future.
But the republican party being fine with most of it the worst part. That just means they have no standards. They only want to be in power to push their agenda.That is not only sad but also scary.

Temascos

Neo Member
I hope this time next year he is looking like a ninety year old pensioner with bad spray tan. Reading about how his visit to the UK next year may not even get him meeting our Queen is pleasing, and personally if he does do the visit myself amongst many others will lock down the damn place from top to bottom.

The scary thing about his base (The main reason no major action has been taken against him yet) is that even if there is 100% proof from Mueller's investigation and nationwide protests they will still believe he is the perfect human being and they will cause havoc if he is gone before two terms are up.

Akuun

Looking for meaning in GAF
The thing is: I understand Trump. He is an aging narcissist who will die in the forseeable future.
But the republican party being fine with most of it the worst part. That just means they have no standards. They only want to be in power to push their agenda.That is not only sad but also scary.
Considering that many of them seem totally fine with cooperating with Russia to stay in power, they really do have no principles, morals or standards.

Lord help us if:

1. This is to a full extent true.
2. When he actually sees what's coming to him in the next 1-3 years. It only goes downhill from here, and the psychopath's reaction in response to his crumbling glass mental house puts the entire planet in danger.

It's always comforting to know that even if many in the military chain of command know the orders are coming from a paranoid, narcissistic, delusional moron, that might not be enough to prevent an nuclear strike from occurring.

Good, I hope this speeds up his aging 100x as fast.

I just hope he gets to live the day he gets to step out of office. I dont want him dying while being president. Could you imagine the martyrdom and the conspiracy theories about him being assassinated by the deep state? He needs tu survive his term. I want to see his tantrums when he is inevitably forced to step aside.

Brinbe

Only thing keeping him in office is his idiotic cadre of supporters, who are all the GOP have left. They know they can't impeach without a huge backlash from their supporters. And those congress folk want to keep having their cushy jobs.

Donald Trump is the most powerful person in the world, he is worth hundreds of millions, he is one of the most famous people, he can do just about anything he wants, and yet, I don't think think there are many people who would trade their lives with his.

Because it's clear as day to see that he is cursed with incompetence, lack of empathy, low intelligence, a ego that hinges on utter self-destruction, chronic narcissism. Not all the power and money in the world would make you want to trade places with Donald Trump. And that says something.

Is there solice in that he is miserable and deeply unhappy? He is in terrible health, the stress and cognitive dissonance is bound to pull a number on his remaining life. His marriage is dead, he might be (post his presidency) responsible for many deaths. We don't know the trickle effect of his policies yet. It might take 10-20 years for many people to get hurt by what he has done in his first year in office.

He's not taking the job seriously enough to age any more

I think this is only part of the story, though. Sure, he doesn't care enough about his actual responsibilities and decisions as president for it to stress him out significantly, but I think that lack of stress from his job as president is more than made up for by other factors.

- He's constantly fuming about something. Whether it's a leak from his WH to the press, something said by a cabinet member (Tillerson) or member of congress (Corker), assertions that people around him don't take him seriously enough. He's obsessed enough about this to be up at random hours getting Mad Online about it. People are constantly calling his mental state and competence into question, and he keeps giving them more reasons to do so.

- The Mueller investigation weighs on him quite a bit. He seems obsessed with the inevitability that the investigation will eventually move on to his private finances, and swirls around the decision whether or not to initiate the process to remove Mueller.

- He's feuding with people like his AG, whom he still resents for recusing himself from the overall Russia investigation.

I mean... I know this sounds ridiculous to say out loud (almost as ridiculous as it would have sounded to seriously suggest that Trump would be President a year and a half ago), but a part of me does fear him pressing the button just to spite people. Trump has proven himself time and time again to be an absolute terrible human being with almost no redeeming qualities. I don't think it's absolutely crazy to envision him at the end of his rope with nothing left just saying "fuck it, let's hit North Korea... hell, maybe launch a few towards China and see what happens". It sounds so stupid to say that, but the fact that I'm even capable of thinking something like that scares the fuck outta me. I don't doubt a few of you haven't pictured the same scenario. It's useless fretting, but my god did we really fuck up electing this man to office.

Woah woah, woah. Hold the fuck up. I know who I voted for and it wasn't this racist, predatory, hateful, spiteful, bigoted piece of orange hardened horseshit. His racist base and the racist, xenophobic, bigoted base of the republican party voted for him.

steveovig

Maybe I'm naive a little but even he can't be stupid enough to strike North Korea first, right? The fact that Mattis and Kelly even have the remote possibility of it happening in their heads makes me scared.

Trump has been asking the military to prepare war plans with greater speed. Apparently.
I wonder if he looks at his available strike plans and doesn't see updated ones that he wants such as limited nuke strike on North Korea or bomb Iran and is pressurizing the pentagon to get a bunch of these into his deck so he can transmit the go code on one any time he feels a gigantic distraction is necessary.

Shoeless

I really don't see how it's possible to avoid a war with Trump in power. He really seems to be jonesing for one in a big way.

Top Bottom