• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

House Republican: Senate GOP 'failed the American people'

Zolo

Not the Freedom Caucus: "You assholes were supposed to fix it and now we're on the hook because of you fuckers."

The Freedom Caucus: "lol I'm in an R+20 district suckersssss"

The Freedom Caucus must have the easiest jobs in the world.

rokkerkory

Too much winning from the GOP

RT-trump-AHCA-ml-170505_12x5_1600.jpg

so much diversity there

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Hopefully this trainwreck can illuminate the public (and especially the GOP base) more about how most politicians are working for the interests of health care and insurance corporations, rather than the interests of the public itself.

Poppy

amazing how the most basic level of human decency in a tiny percentage of the republican party ruins the whole operation

And may you continue to fail.

Its our one saving grace these days, that Republicans are so damn incompetent at ramming their bullshit plans through.

Only in America could you fail the people by not being willing to kill some of them
What's more fucked up, from what I heard on NPR, some of the NO votes were because it didn't kill enough people. Some senators wanted deeper cuts and the bill was too nice for their taste.

Hopefully this trainwreck can illuminate the public (and especially the GOP base) more about how most politicians are working for the interests of health care and insurance corporations, rather than the interests of the public itself.
LOL, no. The GOP are shit and can't legislate for shit but they've got propaganda and misinformation on lock. They will find a way to blame Obama and/or Hillary for this and their base will believe it.

StarVigil

The GOP sounds like a group of 60+ year old dudes with no job experience whatsoever, now entrusted with leading "the greatest country on earth".
btw every time an American says that the US is the "greatest country on earth" and means it, at least one person is rolling their eyes. I know I do every time. You can't even provide health care for all your citizens.

btw every time an American says that the US is the "greatest country on earth" and means it, at least one person is rolling their eyes. I know I do every time. You can't even provide health care for all your citizens.
What that actually means is "we could kick your ass if we went to war". Keep in mind, these are simple meatheads that think this.

shandy706

Can someone please fill me in on what part of Obamacare was a disaster?

Was the greatest thing the government had ever done for me on my end.

What they brought to the table was not helping but infact would have made it worse.

I never said what they offered was good?

He said a lameduck Congress is best scenario. It's not. Doing nothing will hurt people. Best case scenario is truly affordable health care for all. I'm hoping the Dems will have their own plan by the midterms instead of just sitting back and letting Republicans torpedo themselves.

KarmaCow

So they're trying to wipe the stink of this failure by reminding everyone that they supported a bill no one liked.

Okay.

studyguy

Don't understand how the Senate failed when they literally got handed an abortion of a bill by the House in the first place and were expected to shine the lump of crap into legislative gold somehow.

JettDash

Maybe the GOP should stop being a party of right wing extremists who think that giving tax breaks to the rich is a good healthcare plan? Maybe then they could get the public support they need to pass a law?

G.ZZZ

Who knew a lameduck government was the best case for america

Truly the best timeline. We get an energized Dem base for the next 10 years after this shitshow, while managing to minimize negative consequences because of GOP infighting.

Freshmaker

I am Korean.
Only in America could you fail the people by not being willing to kill some of them

Leaving 33 million to die just makes the rest stronger.

How that squares with "You can keep your doctor and health plan unlike in poopy Obamacare" I dunno, but hey.

JettDash

Did the Republicans tell their constituents during elections that their plan was to take healthcare away from tens of millions to finance tax cuts for the rich?

I doubt it.

Ross said:
If they don't repeal and replace Obamacare, like they promised and were voted to do, they are going back on their word and have some serious explaining to do when they go back home and face those who sent them to Washington to protect and help them. They will be held accountable

Send me, i'll explain it to them. Right-wing media constructed a narrative about the ACA being the end of the world, ya'll fuckin bought it cuz you're not very smart, your spineless representatives hopped on board cuz they just want to keep their jobs/get more power, and now that the ACA has been around for a few years and many people are now benefiting from it, the narrative that the 'repeal' struggle was built on has fallen apart and a couple of republicans were not willing to throw 20+ million people off healthcare just so they can say they did the opposite of what Obama wanted 7 years ago, and ya'll needed all republicans b/c you are on an ideological island that no one else in the world understands. there ya go

Did the Republicans tell their constituents during elections that their plan was to take healthcare away from tens of millions to finance tax cuts for the rich?

I doubt it.
How many of their constituents would care?

Political parties seem more like tribalism than 'what's best for me' in the United States.

Sure, they'd be mad as Hell but they'd also not vote Democrat.

Sheroking

I doubt it.

... Yes?

I mean, they did it under the guise of protecting jobs, but both of these things were huge parts of their platform. I mean, Trump barely had a platform besides this and "build a wall".

JettDash

How many of their constituents would care?

Political parties seem more like tribalism than 'what's best for me' in the United States.

Sure, they'd be mad as Hell but they'd also not vote Democrat.

Why do Republicans feel the need to lie then?

... Yes?

I mean, they did it under the guise of protecting jobs, but both of these things were huge parts of their platform. I mean, Trump barely had a platform besides this and "build a wall".

They explained that tens of millions of people would lose insurance and that they would do nothing about the problems people had with Obamacare (like high premiums and deductibles)?

Nah, they pretended to have some magical better plan.

Shauni

They are working towards discrediting the Senate, to make the senate look useless and to hand all power to the president.

Yeah, that's not what's happening here. The House is still playing the same game they were with Obama, except Obama is gone. They won't go after Trump because Trump still has enough pull with the GOP base so going against him now would be bad. And they have the stink of actually passing the bill to begin with, which has put a razor thin majority in jeopardy. The only real saving grace is to poo-poo the Senate because there's less political jeopardy in that.

Besides, even if they were planning it, what are they going to do? 'We pass this bill to surrender all power to the President.' Senate: 'Yo, cool story bro, fails to pass 98-2.'

rjc571

Banned
Why don't they just implement a party-based solution? Create a single-payer system that only applies to registered democrats, and a system that takes away health coverage from all poor republicans so that rich republicans can get a tax cut. That way 100% of the population will be happy!

Furyous

Here's an alternate scenario:

The Senate repeals and replaces Obamacare with Trumpcare on the first try. This is the original Trumpcare with the $600 billion in tax cuts that all go to the wealthy, the medicaid cuts that go into place in 2018 that gradually kick 49 million people from the program, gets rid of the employer requirement to give part time workers health insurance, and boots people off their health insurance plan to the tune of 27 million people.

Tax reform happens next. Rich people get an even bigger tax cut in addition to the $600 billion they saved.

2018 mid term elections come up and Republicans lose all the seats in play.

^^ This is exactly what would happen with the caveat that Trump's approval rating likely reaches 5 percent. His fans can't save him from the combined rage of the AARP, disenfranchised workers, and the rest of the country.

G.ZZZ

Why don't they just implement a party-based solution? Create a single-payer system that only applies to registered democrats, and a system that takes away health coverage from all poor republicans so that rich republicans can get a tax cut. That way 100% of the population will be happy!

Yes and then all rich people vote republican and the democrat state fail.

I doubt it.

Their constituents think the estate tax is something that will affect them. For the vast majority of them, they wouldn't even come close to the nearly $6m line where the tax kicks in.

Zzoram

That's kinda what the republican plan does, oddly enough. The upper middle class democrat urban home owners will get tax cuts, paid for by cutting health care to poor rural people. Poor inner city democrats also get hit, and super wealthy republicans also benefit, so it's a bit of a mishmash, but overall probably more republicans will lose than benefit.

Generally, most plans to cut taxes to reduce redistribution of money hurts more republicans because there are more poor republican states.

JettDash

Their constituents think the estate tax is something that will affect them. For the vast majority of them, they wouldn't even come close to the nearly $6m line where the tax kicks in.

That's because Republican politicians are liars and intentionally give that impression. That's why the started calling it the death tax. Much easier to get support that way than telling the truth.

My mom, who isn't even a Republican, was under the impression that she would have to pay taxes on money she inherited from her father until I told her otherwise.

Velcro Fly

Those brave GOP senators that would have voted no on this can fail me, an American person, any fucking time. In fact I'd like to buy them all a drink.

I never said what they offered was good?

He said a lameduck Congress is best scenario. It's not. Doing nothing will hurt people. Best case scenario is truly affordable health care for all. I'm hoping the Dems will have their own plan by the midterms instead of just sitting back and letting Republicans torpedo themselves.
The Democrats are doing everything they can to help. Math does not allow them to have any real influence. They've offered to work together. They have offered plans.

To say they're just sitting around is false. None of this mess is on Democrats here. This is 100% on the GOP. Let's not "both sides" this.

Slayven

Truly the best timeline. We get an energized Dem base for the next 10 years after this shitshow, while managing to minimize negative consequences because of GOP infighting.

There will still be some big messes to clean ie Betsy Devos

Top Bottom