• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Obamacare repeal officially dead , Trump rage on twitter [POLITICO]

I'm 99% sure you won't see a single R vote against the tax cuts on the grounds that we can't afford them.
Sure, but isn't the problem that to pass something under reconciliation, it cannot increase the deficit? So at best, they could pass some temporary tax cuts a la GWB with 51 votes, but any permanent 'reform' is screwed if they were counting on the savings from gutting healthcare to make it revenue neutral.

Zolo

Sure, but isn't the problem that to pass something under reconciliation, it cannot increase the deficit? So at best, they could pass some temporary tax cuts a la GWB with 51 votes, but any permanent 'reform' is screwed if they were counting on the savings from gutting healthcare to make it revenue neutral.

Depends on if McConnell kills the filibuster or not.

Maxim726X

Depends on if McConnell kills the filibuster or not.

I would legitimately be surprised if this happened.

This is how McConnell garnered his reputation as a 'master tactician'- By filibustering every fucking thing the Dems did. Apparently it's not hard to earn that title.

I almost wish he would, honestly. Because even if the Dems do retake Congress they're not going to have a filibuster-proof majority, so all we can look forward to is more inaction.

But they would need 60 votes if they weren't doing it under reconciliation, right?

Correct. So in order for the tax cuts to be permissible under reconciliation, it would have to be accompanied by sizeable budget cuts... A Republican's wet dream.

Top Bottom