• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Trump to Senate Republicans: kill Obamacare now, replace later

This is not happening. I'm still calling Portman anyway.

This will happen. All the GOP senators except 1 voted for a repeal earlier so Trump is putting them into a position that they do it or explain why they changed.

They will likely not do an immediate repeal. They will delay the repeal for 1 year and during the 2018 elections season they will pin any resistance to a new bill as the reason there is nothing new, blaming the Democrats for it .

This will happen. All the GOP senators except 1 voted for a repeal earlier so Trump is putting them into a position that they do it or explain why they changed.

They will likely not do an immediate repeal. They will delay the repeal for 1 year and during the 2018 elections season they will pin any resistance to a new bill as the reason there is nothing new, blaming the Democrats for it .

This repeal isn't even a proper suggestion and is just one senator spitballing ideas for when McConnell's bill dies in a few weeks. This isn't happening, and isn't part of some master plan.

A total repeal would likely require 60 senate votes, anyway. You'll notice neither the Senate nor House bills ever actually repealed the ACA, just tweaked it.

There's also the issue that the CBO report would show sky rocketing premiums and even more uninisured than the original Senate draft. So if certain senators wouldn't vote for the original draft due to the awful CBO score, it seems logical to conclude they wouldn't vote for a bill with an even worse score.

And none of these senators care about what Trump says. He's just an annoyance to them.

And they are 100% absolutely never ever ever ever crashing the entire healthcare system in an election year. They WILL be blamed for it, and it would make 2006 look like a mediocre year for the Democrats.

He doesn't give a shit about healthcare, apart from destroying all of Obama's legacy. The only material thing he has his eyes on is the money, the hundreds of millions or billions of dollars, he and his cronies will be able to hang onto if their tax reform goes into effect.

Trump's literal M.O. is to shit on Obama's legacy while cutting himself a massive check on the taxpayers' backs, while indescriminitely fucking over all of the country and even the world when it stands in his way.

This is kleptocracy in action before our very eyes. He is literally Putin/Berlusconi 2.0.

Akuun

Looking for meaning in GAF
Thing is: the more he fucks with media, the more he denies and belittles science, the more he makes life hell for minorities, the more he outright kills Americans by encouraging backward "health care" initiatives like this, the more he solidifies his place as objectively one of the worst leaders in the countries history who only used his power for spite and our first black president as someone people will continue to remember fondly particularly how his progressive policies fell victim to his pettiness and ego of a slug who couldn't take a joke.
The funny thing is that the roasting that Obama gave Trump at that dinner is still FAR more minor the the amount of trouble that Trump caused Obama. Trump spearheaded the whole birther movement and wasted everyone's time for months. It was on the news everywhere, people argued about it everywhere, and just tied up everything. Eventually Obama released his birth certificate not to justify anything, but effectively to go "okay, fuck it, this is stupid, but here's what you want anyway. Let's all move on with life so that we can deal with more important things." And then he moved on from it, aside from the odd wisecrack now and then, and none of them were even directed at Trump after that.

Obama cracked a few jokes at Trump's expense during one dinner and that was it. And of course, with Trump being as petty as he is, just can't let it go. He has to go to complete war on every perceived slight ever in his life, which is just such a sad way to live. I can't imagine how anyone would have the energy to keep that up for decades.

He'll still count it as a win for his administration.

He'll say something like, "We finally got rid of the disaster Obamacare! It's a big victory for U.S." He'll follow up with another tweet saying the Democrats are the reason they haven't come up with a replacement. He'll probably use the word obstruction because he loves buzzwords.

The well being of our country doesn't matter to him and his fan base doesn't care. They'll eat up anything he says, even if it contradicts something he said during his campaign. Hell, just look at the stuff he said about solar power and helping Mexico save money. He can literally do no wrong.

Top with with the constant ball dropping the Democrats are doing. Gug.

The funny thing is that the roasting that Obama gave Trump at that dinner is still FAR more minor the the amount of trouble that Trump caused Obama. Trump spearheaded the whole birther movement and wasted everyone's time for months. It was on the news everywhere, people argued about it everywhere, and just tied up everything. Eventually Obama released his birth certificate not to justify anything, but effectively to go "okay, fuck it, this is stupid, but here's what you want anyway. Let's all move on with life so that we can deal with more important things." And then he moved on from it, aside from the odd wisecrack now and then, and none of them were even directed at Trump after that.

Obama cracked a few jokes at Trump's expense during one dinner and that was it. And of course, with Trump being as petty as he is, just can't let it go. He has to go to complete war on every perceived slight ever in his life, which is just such a sad way to live. I can't imagine how anyone would have the energy to keep that up for decades.

If this were in a book, something about the sad pathetic impotent bigot whose life only gains a bit of joy while he ineffectively tries to one-up the black man who barely acknowledges his existence; I might be capable of feeling a tinge of sadness or pity for such a character. As it is, knowing Trump, the things he's done and plans to do to innocent people for the sake of his ego, I hope and pray every day that Obama and his one-off joke haunt him to the grave. I hope the pursuit of this payback destroys his family and everything he loves. I hope he wants to feel fulfilled so badly but never ever gets even the slightest reprieve from the sound of laughter in that room.

Good luck. Repeal takes 60 votes.

Someone should maybe read a book to him that explains how this works, or pay Fox and Friends to read it to him on air.

Ogodei

Dangerous folks playing chicken with a quarter of the national economy, but the Senate GOP is too aware of political realities to go along with it, even if the House might want to make some plebes suffer for tax cuts.

steveovig

It's easy for him to say that stuff considering his job isn't coming up for renewal next year like a lot of Congress members. He seems completely determined to lose 2018 if this goes through.

It's easy for him to say that stuff considering his job isn't coming up for renewal next year like a lot of Congress members. He seems completely determined to lose 2018 if this goes through.

He has no clue how government works and just wants to win.

I've said before and will say again that WE ARE NOT DEALING WITH SMART PEOPLE. Everyone from the White House to his stupid voting commission couldn't be dumber if they guzzled gallons of Flint tap water.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
More like "replace never"

The second it's gone they'll forget out and/or be obstructionist

Pretty much. They and they're corroborating interest groups get their massive cuts, Dems are now forced to sweep up the mess of broken promises and ruined lives while being vilified for doing so from the right.

And people are too stupid to recognize it all unfolding.

Look. I know it sucks that you cant kill a shit ton of people over the next ten years or so. We are all as bummed out about that as you. So just settle for killing some now till we can come up with a better plan.

At least let us get a little taste.

Look. I know it sucks that you cant kill a shit ton of people over the next ten years or so. We are all as bummed out about that as you. So just settle for killing some now till we can come up with a better plan.

At least let us get a little taste.

"Come on! Bullying vulnerable people is the only way I can..you know...get it up anymore for Melania."
"It's the only way any of us can, Mr. President.

I think he's worried that this could get stuck in there till some point next year. If it waits too long, the senate will probably become owner by the dems and he won't get anything passed.

mnannola

Cool, someone ask him what the consequences to repealing Obamacare would be. I'm sure he will give you a well informed answer.

Americans wanted a non-politician as Presdient, well now that got a non-politician President.

has no clue what he is doing

They wanted a savvy businessman as a President, but he was never a savvy businessman either. The only thing that has ever worked out for him is being a bombastic nitwit, which is why that's his natural fallback when nothing is working out.

Steel

Banned
Cool, someone ask him what the consequences to repealing Obamacare would be. I'm sure he will give you a well informed answer.

Reminds me of watching a Trump voter focus group on CNN earlier where the Trump voters were saying the senate bill was horrible and were asked what they wanted out of healthcare.

They all agreed "Free market". They were asked what free market means and one of the men just went "I just want free market. Give me free market."

Yeah....

Good luck. Repeal takes 60 votes.

Someone should maybe read a book to him that explains how this works, or pay Fox and Friends to read it to him on air.

They're doing this whole thing via reconciliation. The "word" repeal is kind of a mis-characterization. They're just destroying parts and pieces and adding worse parts and pieces via the budget process. They could basically defund the ACA and effectively "repeal" it without the 60.

They would then need 60 to pass anything though.

EDIT: A straight repeal is actually better than the AHCA, anyone have comparables to the BCRA?

Zolo

Reminds me of watching a Trump voter focus group on CNN earlier where the Trump voters were saying the senate bill was horrible and were asked what they wanted out of healthcare.

They all agreed "Free market". They were asked what free market means and one of the men just went "I just want free market. Give me free market."

Yeah....

Unfortunately, while I agree Republicans in general tend to be less educated, a lot of Dems couldn't go into detail either. I still recall that one Colbert episode where he informs the audience that Comey was fired and they all cheered.

Kaladin

Just repeal it, and then argue out your replacement plan. Meanwhile, the health care industry will notice there is no new law in the land and go bat shit crazy again.

"We’re going to do it simultaneously. It’ll be just fine. We’re not going to have, like, a two-day period and we’re not going to have a two-year period where there’s nothing. It will be repealed and replaced."

Steel

Banned
Unfortunately, while I agree Republicans in general tend to be less educated, a lot of Dems couldn't go into detail either. I still recall that one Colbert episode where he informs the audience that Comey was fired and they all cheered.

You're right of course. That being said, Trump is no more intelligent than his base, "free market" to them means the same thing to them as it does for him.

Sunster

We have a president that is going to kill thousands of Americans because our previous president told mean jokes about him at a WH dinner. His supporters who will lose their coverage will continue chanting "fake news! fake news!" as they are dying at home from cancer.

RPGCrazied

If they did something like this, wouldn't millions of people lose coverage instantly? No next year, it would be immediate.

Bad idea.

"It's gonna be amazing, just tremendous, Obamacare is dying, it's dead, it's very bad and the Democrats are mad about that, but you know they won't even help us with healthcare, can you believe that? No support whatsoever to fix this because they can't admit that Obamacare is a disaster and it's failing, and what we have is gonna be so much better, you won't even believe, I mean, people are telling me, really, just get rid of the Obamacare because I can't afford it, the premiums, you know, the premiums are just out of control and we gotta get those down."

Eusis

Yep. Business-wise, they wanted someone more like Tillerson and mistaked Trump as good.
It's crazy how Tillerson doesn't SEEM to have been that bad of a cabinent pick and might even have done an acceptable job as president even if we strongly disagreed with him.

Trump moves from simply disagree and more "just impeach his incompetent ass right now." I guess like you're and employer and comparing a manager under you who is kind of a jerk but knows what needs to get done... versus a fucking clown who just screws around and blame everyone else without really understanding his job. You'd keep the former to keep the business going, while the latter you'd fire before he causes too much harm.

Except we can't go back to do an emergency vote to decide if we want to dump his incompetent ass and he's locked into the job.

mnannola

"It's gonna be amazing, just tremendous, Obamacare is dying, it's dead, it's very bad and the Democrats are mad about that, but you know they won't even help us with healthcare, can you believe that? No support whatsoever to fix this because they can't admit that Obamacare is a disaster and it's failing, and what we have is gonna be so much better, you won't even believe, I mean, people are telling me, really, just get rid of the Obamacare because I can't afford it, the premiums, you know, the premiums are just out of control and we gotta get those down."

This is extremely close to what he would actually say.

Top Bottom